• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Scrapper check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrapper check?

Aaryana

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi, everyone! I just returned from a wonderful week at Aulani. I did a bit of pin trading while I was there, but I was having a hard time finding pins that didn't seem to be scrappers. These are the pins that I ended up bringing home. I'm pretty sure there are some scrappers in the mix, but I'd appreciate it if some more experienced traders could give me some in put. I had trouble getting clear pics without blur/glare, so if anyone wants me to try to get a better pic of something, let me know. Thanks!

Pin 1

17909908679_d1fddb83a3_z.jpg

17908431390_e7f307c089_z.jpg

Pin 2

17910218439_ba783d0686_z.jpg

18096511985_7b1c460f32_z.jpg

Pin 3

17475590693_2fa0a56bd6_z.jpg

18093090272_307d609bcd_z.jpg

Pin 4

17473565904_956232dda6_z.jpg

17476063533_77112c731b_z.jpg

Pin 5

18069671386_0cbd019691_z.jpg

18093071952_50f7695c5e_z.jpg

Pin 2 is a scrapper. You can see the back has a border, instead of the mickeys going all the way to the edge of the pin. I would check the others by comparing them to photos/images of the real pins.

I second MomeRathsOutgrabe concerns on the second pin. The first one looks great though and in my opinion is a good cute pin to add to anyones collection :)

Thanks for the responses so far! Pins 1 and 4 were the ones I was really, really hoping were not scrappers. Pin 2 was the one I was fairly certain was a scrapper. The others, not having the Mickeys on the back, are harder to tell and also probably scrappers. But, I like the Beaker and Hitchhiking Ghost pins enough to keep regardless. Disappointed that Duffy is a scrapper. It was the first pin I traded for and didn't remember to scrapper check until I saw someone else doing it later on. Oh, well.

another way to tell if it is a scrapper is the sound it makes when you drop it on a table...scrappers sound like tin foil

Not sure about youtube an old time pin trader demoed this at the pin trading barrels for me a while back at DLR.Try it with the pins you traded for.

I think that Beaker is a scrapper; the yellow of his nose is neon, it should be a little less bright. The lines are also a bit too thick in his hair and the wording on the back looks too squished together.

I'm really unsure about that Ezra. I'm not sure if it's the lighting or what but he looks yellow and I believe the ghosts HMs were more blue? His lines also look way too thick, particularly between where his right pant leg meets the shoe. I can also see a very obvious divot in Ezra's hair, on the right. The Mickey head looks off, too; the ears should be smaller than the head.

Last edited:
Your hitchhiking ghost pin is for sure a scrapper. They are NOT supposed to have a yellow tinge to them. I have the real ones. The real ones apparently are very rare since so many fake ones were made.

I recently found a bunch of pins at an antique store. There was no wifi so we couldn't check PinPics and some of the scrappers are so hard to tell even in person. I wish sites like PinPics would post the front and back so you have a better comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back