Scrappers Vs. Counterfiets (and how to tell)

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by iamdisneydan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. ddbowdoin

ddbowdoin New Member

0   0   0

how can you truly tell with just the naked eye? I am one of those newbies and I have been looking through ebay. I just don't want to be buying fake pins! Damn

2. imatronaholic

imatronaholic Daft Punk Rocks

Rating - 100%
    99   0   0

I saw a great suggestion on another thread regarding trades from kyuubee and it would also apply to eBay.

For future trades you could always ask politely if the person would be willing to email you a pic of the front and back of the pin.

I might add that if they don't send you the pic (of the actual pin they are trading or selling), don't get the pin. I'm telling myself this also.

I would not consider myself a seasoned pin trader / buyer, but I'm definitely working on it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  3. ddbowdoin

ddbowdoin New Member

0   0   0

good call... I just hate not knowing and getting scammed.

4. imatronaholic

imatronaholic Daft Punk Rocks

Rating - 100%
    99   0   0

I just did a search on Bing and Google for "fake disney pins" and the top result is a link to eBay with a lot of information. It's mind boggling.

5. jjgasman

jjgasman Member

Rating - 100%
    109   0   0

I've had great success with the photograph email request. I've halted some trades b/c the pins were for sure counterfeits, and some trades have gone through when the other trader wasn't sure, but the pins looked ok.

6. ACATTE2000

ACATTE2000 Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Sorry for my English but I go through a translator because my English level does not allow me to write so many words ..

I do not have any "translated" but I want to say to everyone that Ebay is a policy that aims to denounce vendors who sell "fake" (pine or other ojects) but when they are writing against such persons, Ebay does nothing!!

Worse! I have a vendor with whom I had big problems, I left negative feedback and as he was not telling, he asked eBay to remove negative ratings!

Surprise: Ebay has removed the negative ratings!

then for all those who want to buy, the notes are not reality!!

My friend, for his part had another problem with a seller "professional " and the same thing!

then a question arises as Ebay and the Disney Corporation does nothing ... What should we do?

7. ACATTE2000

ACATTE2000 Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

no idea ( for my last question ) ?

8. Mattkg74

Mattkg74 Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the warning dan i'll be sure to keep a look out for any fakes :anxious:

9. silky691499

silky691499 New Member

0   0   0

thank you

10. sperkins921

sperkins921 Getting in the swing of things

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

This is my first post here, just wanted to say thanks Dan! This was a really helpful post.

I've collected pins since 2008, though I've bought pins for others who were collectors as gifts much much longer than that. I recently decided that my upcoming non park trip would be my first foray into actually trading pins, and boy have I been informed. I have bought sets on ebay- and inspected them super carefully using these tips and info from dizpins/pinpics (which I'm reading here is now defunct?) and it has resulted in some pleasant surprises. When I emailed one person back, they sent me a LONG email stating that they buy only from authorized factories that make the pins yada yada. That person actually thought that they had done no wrong as they "bought them from the source". HA! After politely telling them a piece of my mind, the accepted the offer to return the pins- but I notice that all this person's auctions after that day now say something to the effect of the pins are 100% tradeable (took out wording about authenticity) and now they will not allow refunds/returns. That would be a red flag for me.

11. ACATTE2000

ACATTE2000 Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

must notify ebay that sellers sell fakes and post a negative rating without hesitation and without remorse!

These sellers know that very well!

if all the world denounces them, they will're forced to stop their business

12. Stitch_Addict

Stitch_Addict Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

wow, that was really informative! I just used the term scrappers, I never said counterfeits before, so thanks for clearing it up! I have only done lanyard trading maybe 4 times in a disney park, and if I don't know whether I want to trade for a pin I ask a cast member if I can get a closer look at it. I have definitely turned down trades for this reason. Thanks for filling us in!

13. PinBeuty11

PinBeuty11 Member

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

ok so i was reading some of the threads and came across a different way to figure out if pins are scrappers/counterfeit and that was to take a magnet to the pins.. If this is so then I have bought some bad ones from Disney. Is this a truly legit way to sniff those bad ones out?

14. erudolf

erudolf DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0

The magnet thing is a myth. It doesn't work consistently.

15. iamdisneydan

iamdisneydan The Bald Guy In The Back DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    127   0   0

I explained in a post that this was tested and untrue.
    With 5 witnesses (helpers) we went through Westward Ho with very strong magnets and right on the racks about 40% were magnetic and the rest not.
    They use different alloys as available and this is a proven myth. Unless Disney has found a way to be more profitable and is now selling fake pins (Just Kidding of course)

16. PinBeuty11

PinBeuty11 Member

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

thanks for the answers.. i'm starting to feel a little better about my collection.. this thread has been very helpful and informative..

17. collectiblewizard

collectiblewizard New Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Wow! thank you for taking the time to write this. We never thought that anyone would go to the effort to make counterfeit Disney pins. 95 of the pins we have we bought from Disney, but we have gotten a few dog pins from cast members for our dog lanyard. (He comes into Disneyland with us because he is a service animal and cast members have actually saved dog pins for us and given them to us for Mickey's lanyard that holds his creditentials.) Thanks also for the picture, that is a big help.
    Jaci

18. peterpanfan

peterpanfan Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

This is a brilliant post, dan! I now know exactly what to look out for. I do have one question though, has anybody brought pins from ebay that have been in there 'original packaging', say the vinlymations that come in their mystery boxs and the box has been un opened but the pins are still counterfit? Or do the people who make these counterfits, never go to the extreme of making fake packaging as well?

19. jessicafan

jessicafan New Member

0   0   0

thanks for the post. i just started pin collecting and purchased 2 off of ebay. i had my doubts but my son really wanted them. what are the best ways to tell if they are counterfeit?oh, and he didn't want them to trade. He just wanted them because they were Jessica Rabbit. So no worries about them being out there.

20. pokadotrevolt

pokadotrevolt Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Hi Dan!
    Thanks for the fantastic post. Been trying to find good information about the difference between scrappers and counterfeits - but nothing has been as informative as this. Nothing beats help from a seasoned collector!

Thanks again and definitely going to be more careful with trading.

21. Alexa

Alexa Active Member

Rating - 99%
    205   2   0

This is definitely great. I'll have to redirect my siblings to this one.

22. MegglesM

MegglesM Will Work For Stickers

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I once actually traded for a pin that wasn't even a Disney pin with a CM. I saw a Rainforest Cafe Elephant on a CM lanyard and asked if it was actually a Disney pin, and she replied that it was a very rare one. After I traded with her (because I like Elephants and thought it was pretty cool that the was a Disney Rainforest Cafe Pin) I looked at the back of the pin and it didn't even say Disney! I traded back with her of course. I do think the CMs should be a little better informed about Disney pins if they are going to wear a lanyard.

23. LadyArmonua

LadyArmonua Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I was under the impression that Disney owned the Rainforest Cafe, so it's possible the pin really was a Disney pin, it just wasn't stamped as one. There are Star Wars pins that are considered trade-able Disney pins that only have the Lucas Arts copyright on the back.

24. T-I-double-guh-er

T-I-double-guh-er Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

great thread thank you.

25. DPintrader

DPintrader New Member

0   0   0

I'm relatively new to pin trading/selling, and after this weekend, I ended up going through my whole collection to see what scrappers/counterfeits I had. In fact, one of my favorite eBay sellers threw in a few scrappers with shipments. I let the person know and received an apology, and offer to get pins replaced, and also (which surprised me) an active interest in where to research authenticity so he didn't unwittingly sell fakes instead of the genuine items.

Now, when I trade, or sell, or even give pins away, I find myself double and triple checking sources to make sure the person on the receiving end isn't getting cheated. Sure it's a few extra clicks on the computer, but the extra research is the difference between being a good collector and being branded as a purveyor of bad goods.

On a side note, I actually found an online acquaintance who specifically collects scrapper pins like someone who collect books or cards with misprints - so at least I have someplace to offload my bad pins.

P.S. Inquiring about pins and having people send you pictures of both the front and the back is an excellent idea! I completely agree.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011