Scrappers Vs. Counterfiets (and how to tell)

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by iamdisneydan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. dawny

dawny Active Member

Rating - 100%
    340   0   0

Wow thanks alot, i just learned alot. I am going to WDW in a week and now im a bit nervous about trading, but oh well.....I want the real thing and i dont want to circulate bad pins, but truth be told, for now my collecting is for me. It makes me happy and i love looking at my pins so im gonna try not to stress over illegal pins. I do appreciate that visual, now i get what to look for and i'll tell you-- if you didn't post the pictures i would never see the difference myself. Wish me luck. I will also go on dizpins more, i really only use pinpics.--

2. mansionfan0811

mansionfan0811 New Member

0   0   0

Thank you!

Just wanted to say thank you for this post, It's been very eye opening. We are new-ish to pin trading and have found out recently we apparently traded some of our good pins for scrappers from CM's in the parks. I wish I would have read this about a month ago! lol Either way, it gives good suggestions to follow to prevent that from happening in the future! Thanks again!

3. Phily100

Phily100 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Hi,

I've been collecting pins for years and never knew that! This article is great, I guess when you buy on eBay you're taking a slight risk...

4. magicmickey89

magicmickey89 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Always check a cast members pins before trading but pins are released sometimes before the date and u can see them on a cast lanyard pins sometimes get out early for cast members as my cousin who worked there over 20 years as a manager had the pins a month before release..If there on disney pins they are already made

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. Snowy717

Snowy717 Snow White / Cat Fanatic

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Thank you for posting this! I am a pin trading newbie and was sad to hear from a cast member in Disneyland that one of the hidden Mickey pins on my lanyard was counterfeit (I had, in fact, traded for it from a cast member in City Hall!). It was actually the very first pin trade I ever made. Just goes to show that it would have helped to do my homework. :-/

I recently traded for a legitimate version of this same pin, and I display the two of them together in my bag as a reminder not to be too hasty. Besides, it's a pin featuring my favorite Disney cat (Figaro) so I am happy to add this one to my collection, even if it is a fake (not a "scrapper") :)

I look forward to reading more helpful articles and finding more friends among the traders here. Thanks again, and have a great day!

6. johnny58

johnny58 Welcome to the Grid

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Thank you for this Dan! I am new to this, and I do not wish to receive, or trade these types of pins EVER!!! Truly thank you!

7. niftyk13

niftyk13 Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thanks for all the information. I'm new to pin trading so it was very helpful. I almost didn't want to look at the pins (muppets with mouse ears and muppet vinylmations) I traded for in December at WDW, but I did because I was curious and so I could educate myself. Luckily, I think they are real! They have none of the signs that you talked about. Thank you very much for all the information!

8. cameraguy1559

cameraguy1559 Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the info, Ive been trading since 2004 and I didnt know all the stuff you just shared. :)

9. KCKRISTINE

KCKRISTINE Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

Great post! Very informative!

10. preventscrappers

preventscrappers Member

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

There is a newbie, (Like myself) that posted pics of his hidden mickeys he got that he thinks are fake can you or someone take a look and let him know he is very sad.
    I hate fake, scrappers, 2nd run, unauthorized and whatever you want to call them pins. Thanks!

11. jetincredible

jetincredible New Member

0   0   0

I have a question about the finishes on the front of pins. I am taking a trip to WDW next summer for my college graduation and a friend of mine gave me a few pins to start my collection. I had read on one site though that the finish is suppose to be glossy and not matte/brush-strokey, is this true?

12. jetincredible

jetincredible New Member

0   0   0

*bump

I can't find an answer anywhere else...

13. locostitch

locostitch Active Member

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

Thank You

14. Sufikation

Sufikation Real Name: Patrick

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

This was very informative, thank you.

15. violinstring

violinstring New Member

0   0   0

This is very helpful! Thanks for posting.

16. Boosmom

Boosmom Member

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

A lot of good info in this thread.

I had the same problem with the pictures. I have vinylmation pins I bought at the hotel or in the parks from the stores and they are not completely perfect like the picture in the middle. So when I trade off lanyards, I compare them to the ones I have in our collections. Also, some of our pins are years old, when they first came out with the Mickey ear pins and the backs did not have the Mickeys stamped in them. I know I bought them in the Disney stores. So how can I really tell when I trade for pins off lanyards or with other people in the park, especially the traders who sit at the parks all day trading, whether they are good or not. Some of our current trader pins are from the 80s and 90s when the backs looked different. I can sometimes tell by the weight of the pin.

Lisa

17. GrantSchweppe

GrantSchweppe New Member

0   0   0

Thanks for posting, this was helpful, and I will try to be more specific when referring to these pins.

18. Alexa

Alexa Active Member

Rating - 99%
    205   2   0

This thread deserves a nice bump!
    Newbie traders... please read!

19. Alexa

Alexa Active Member

Rating - 99%
    205   2   0

Most of the time, this is true, unfortunately.

20. evil_queen

evil_queen New Member

0   0   0

This really helped me, thank you!

21. Boosmom

Boosmom Member

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

Took a copy of this message to the DLR this weekend. I had a lot of extra time on my hands and went around the park to see if I could spot counterfeit pins. I found several and the cast members were great about removing the pins. I also ran into a cast member at a pin store who patiently explained to me more ways to tell a pin were "bad pins" as she says. Some of the words on the back were spelled wrong. We pull some off that had the words "hidden mikey" instead of "hidden mickey", bowling pins that were completely the wrong color, pixap instead of pixar, the word character was spelled wrong. All were removed from trade. But I had a lot of fun learning. If I ever get my part time a DL, I plan on making it my mission to remove as many counterfeit and scrappers as I can.

22. ~BlessedByFive~

~BlessedByFive~ New Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Dan, thank you so much for this wealth of information, I had no idea. Uggghhh.

23. Dream-come-true

Dream-come-true Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Thanks for the tips

24. kayleyhyde

kayleyhyde New Member

0   0   0

Thank you! Drives me crazy that people don't understand the difference. These really ruin pin trading in the parks, though :( x

25. tiggermickey

tiggermickey DPF Correspondent DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    1591   0   0

Hi KayleyHyde
    Welcome to DPF!!