Scrappers Vs. Counterfiets (and how to tell)

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by iamdisneydan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Sublime24

Sublime24 New Member

0   0   0

this was very informative! thanks a lot!
    my names dan too lol

2. MAL

MAL Blue Bomber

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Thanks for the article, very informative.

3. mickeymausers

mickeymausers Member

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

The scrapper issue is so frustrating! Recently returned from Disneyland and the lanyards were junkier than ever! I give my kids authentic pins to trade (and it does cost more to do so) and then they leave with a handful of fakes. From an ethical standpoint, I don't know what to do - I can't advise them to trade the pins again, because they know their fake and it would be like telling my kids it is okay to lie or cheat; still it is darn expensive to keep tossing them out! Disney needs to train their employees to spot fakes and remove them from the lanyards - they need to keep their lanyards fresh. If accepting fake/scrapper pins in trade is a corporate expense/risk that they are willing to take so they don't offend unwitting guests, fine - but passing that expense/risk on to a 9 year old kid (and other park guests) rather than eating it themselves doesn't seem very Disney like. They can afford to toss out a few scrappers - I know I certainly did! Thanks for letting me vent. Good article - keep exposing the issue!

4. Maleficent913

Maleficent913 Beautifully Tragic

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Thank you for this! It really is a big help. I know I've been out of the pin game a while, but I don't even remember having these issues back when I started in '03! I will definitely have to be careful when trading with CM's at the park from now on!

5. ALittleBitOfMagic

ALittleBitOfMagic Member

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Very informative! Thanks, the guide helps with all the terminology.

6. BamaBulldawg

BamaBulldawg Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I think that's the perfect solution. Let them trade for fakes but have them dispose of them periodically throughout the day. This is something disney could employ pretty easily in my opinion.

7. kedma

kedma New Member

0   0   0

Thanks Dan - super helpful - I appreciate you spelling things out for us new members:)

8. NikkiW

NikkiW Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Pictures of the backside of pins are so hard to find! Thank you for including those photos in your post :)

9. avery.appleseed

avery.appleseed Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Thank you! Going to keep this in mind when purchasing/trading pins. Especially from Ebay!

10. Mr. Anagram

Mr. Anagram Pin Trading Stress Disorder

0   0   0

Thank you! Great info, but extremely discouraging for me at the same time

11. PersinettePins

PersinettePins Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

As someone brand new to pin collecting, this was soooo insightful! This has help dmd a lot and I all be hyper vigilant! And it's a great resource to reference if ever in an ebay dispute. You can show the ebay rep this article and pictures of your own pin (should it be a fake) to get your money back from the seller. I for one am very grateful you took the time to write it up!

12. princesselyse

princesselyse Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Thank you! I'm new to collecting, so this was extremely helpful. Now I know what to look for!

13. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Great post, thanks.

14. Jessie Lights

Jessie Lights New Member

0   0   0

Thank you for the post, Dan! I always throw away fake pins when I come across them. Sometimes I forget to look during trading, so when I eventually notice, I just toss them.

15. Frozen_Jane

Frozen_Jane Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Just what I was looking for! Thanks

16. KTM

KTM Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Thanks, this is super helpful.

17. WDWNATIVE87

WDWNATIVE87 New Member

0   0   0

Hello there, I'm new to the pin trading world! I am currently in my Disney Resort room as I type this and I am here with my son, 2 1/2 and my wife, who is pregnant with our second son, and I just wanted to say I appreciate the time you took to help inform myself and others so that we can continue this awesome hobby free of counterfeits and pass it on to our children as a wonderful hobby to enjoy together! So again I thank you and it was very helpful!

18. Aaryana

Aaryana Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Thanks for writing this. I had no idea what people meant by borders, and the photo really helped clarify.

19. Rmmpins

Rmmpins Member

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

Thank you so much. I go through all my pins very carefully.

20. Rmmpins

Rmmpins Member

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

Thanks I have lots of pins so I am always looking for good articles about authenticating pins. :)

21. MzMarie

MzMarie Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I'm glad i saw this as i recently purchased hidden mickeys from a forum member. They were part of a set. Well one is on my work lanyard. I have a Bluetooth headset and u know the earpieces are held in place with a magnet. Well i noticed that it was reacting to the pin. Later tested all 3 in that series and yes all 3 reacted. I surely was about to send a message. I decided to check the forums, remembering reading about magnets & scrappers.

22. KT07

KT07 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

+10000000 we should make more biz cards or flyers with info. maybe we can put them on the racks in the hotels. lol

23. Trowe87

Trowe87 New Member

0   0   0

I'm a complete newbie so is there anywhere i could have a look at scrappers as well? The pics on here are great and when compared to a proper pin the fakes are plainly obvious.
    Glad i didn't make any trades in DLP this time will be better prepared when i go back in November :)

24. BriV97

BriV97 Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

This post has been very helpful to me as a new collector/trader I now know what to look for when trading or buying and will go home and inspect all my online purchased pins thank you!

25. itsmeadamg

itsmeadamg Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I'm sure this has already been said, but I have spotted several of these Counterfeit pins at Disney...also a few scrappers...and I will say that as soon as I point it out, the cast member ALWAYS puts it away and is quite upset that they were displaying it in the first place. Thank you for this great post to make newbies like me more aware!