• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Sleeping Beauty (2014) Fall Release (New Merch, News, and more!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleeping Beauty (2014) Fall Release (New Merch, News, and more!)
Much too excited for this!! Aurora is my favorite princess and Maleficent is one of my top villains so I just cannot wait!

I am sincerely hoping for a LE Phillip, and I think with the general success of Eric we will get one. I'm hoping for the same setup as TLM in terms of dolls.
Me too. Next year is going to really help boost my SB collection.

I love the peasant dress, but I'm 90% sure that the Designer Fairytale Couple Aurora will have her in the peasant dress, given that's her most iconic scene with Phillip (aside from the kiss) and what she wears the most during the Film. I really would prefer the LE doll to be in blue, but I'm more than certain they'll go with pink unless it just ends up looking terrible.
I agree...I see her in an updated, more bejeweled peasant dress for the DFDC, and then something prettier for the LE.

Well this isn't being released by the Disney store but I thought I would post it anyways: Hot Toys is going to have a Maleficent. It's going to look insane! http://www.hottoys.com.hk/news.php?newsID=126
I cant wait to see pics of the actual one. Their other pieces are so detailed and cool.

Love the photo of the blue Aurora!

My favourite Aurora :) I like how she has a train behind her and the details on the peplum. And the curls - aahh. I don't eeven mind that she is pink XD In this case I loove the pink!

I would quite like LE Aurora to have a deep coloured velvet bodice like LE Anna, and jewels on her crown like in the closeup where she is sleeping
Oh Ive said this before (on multiple forums too I think) I love this Aurora. She is on my WL and I keep looking for her.

I think I am going to need to put the Crystal Dream Brass Key dolls on my wish list. Although I wish some doll makes would sell smaller versions that are this detailed. I want tiny dolls!
She is on my WL too. I have a Brass Key Belle that is absolutely stunning that I deboxed. I add an Ariel and Aurora too but I'm selling them. I didnt like the Aurora's dress and the Ariel wasnt very pretty. But the BK dolls are so beautiful.

I watched SB today and I was laughing at the scene with Merryweather and Flora fighting over the whole blue and pink dress thing. It made me think about conversations here. Haha

Id like to see a spruced up Briar Rose peasant dress fro the DFDC doll, and then a really beautifully done blue dress for the LE doll. I think we've seen the pink dress done to death (same as we have for Belle's yellow dress). It would be nice for them to switch it up.

BUT...Im guessing that since we have not had a LE Aurora that most likely she will be in the iconic pink dress we always see her in. They seem to keep to the traditional look when it comes to the LEs. Am I right?

We saw Eric in his full Prince uniform instead of the white shirt, blue pants, red belt sash that he was in for most of the movie in his LE doll. So Im guessing that Phillip will probably be in the outfit at the end where he marries/dances with Aurora.

I'm hoping the designer couples doll is in blue and the 17 inch doll in pink. I'd love oth in blue but ill be happy with just one so long as we do get one in blue.

tumblr_mo3fd9xSiC1s55ckso1_500_zps53e0680c.gif

I suspect that the LE Aurora doll will be in pink. As her most-marketed color, this makes the most sense.

For a DFDC Aurora and Prince Philip, it could be based on Briar Rose & Philip's woodland outfit first meeting or it could be based on the end of the film court waltz, for which we'll get Prince Philip's court outfit and Aurora in her gown (pink, blue, or pink and blue). There are the two romantic moments that the Disney Store would most likely reference from the film. Actually, the most iconic moment should be when Prince Philip awakens Aurora with true love's kiss, but I don't see them laying Aurora horizontally in that display case with closed eyes. If the waltz scene is the chosen reference for the DFDC dolls, I would then hope that the LE Prince Philip doll be made in his woodland outfit with his red archer hat and/or with the Sword of Truth and Shield of Virtue. This is of course assuming that a LE Prince Philip doll will even be made! They could just go back to making 17" LE dolls for the princess & villain only.

I suspect that the LE Aurora doll will be in pink. As her most-marketed color, this makes the most sense.

For a DFDC Aurora and Prince Philip, it could be based on Briar Rose & Philip's woodland outfit first meeting or it could be based on the end of the film court waltz, for which we'll get Prince Philip's court outfit and Aurora in her gown (pink, blue, or pink and blue). There are the two romantic moments that the Disney Store would most likely reference from the film. Actually, the most iconic moment should be when Prince Philip awakens Aurora with true love's kiss, but I don't see them laying Aurora horizontally in that display case with closed eyes. If the waltz scene is the chosen reference for the DFDC dolls, I would then hope that the LE Prince Philip doll be made in his woodland outfit with his red archer hat and/or with the Sword of Truth and Shield of Virtue. This is of course assuming that a LE Prince Philip doll will even be made! They could just go back to making 17" LE dolls for the princess & villain only.

I agree with you in terms of Aurora more than likely being in pink rather than blue mainly because if they did Cinderella based on the modern Cinderella look then it is very likely they would do the same to Aurora. If they were to include any blue it would either be represented in the form of the fabric being iridescent so that it looks both blue and pink depending on the angle you look at the fabric, or they would have some enhancements added to the dress to represent the blue color and how her dress changed color constantly throughout the movie.

I think if they were to do a fairytale moment the moment where they meet in the woods is by far a greater fairytale moment than the end where they are dancing. The only thing that could beat the meeting in the woods scene would be where Philip kisses Aurora to wake her from her sleep. So it would definitely be one of the two, I personally am hoping for the meeting in the woods moment as it would be similar to the Ariel and Eric doll and would be nice scene for them to capture. At the end of the day I will be happy with what Disney decides to put Aurora in so long as if they do not just do another Barbie in a princess outfit (i.e Cinderella) and the appropriate hair that she deserves and not that horrid beehive they gave her in her 2011 princess doll.

I agree with you in terms of Aurora more than likely being in pink rather than blue mainly because if they did Cinderella based on the modern Cinderella look then it is very likely they would do the same to Aurora. If they were to include any blue it would either be represented in the form of the fabric being iridescent so that it looks both blue and pink depending on the angle you look at the fabric, or they would have some enhancements added to the dress to represent the blue color and how her dress changed color constantly throughout the movie.

I think if they were to do a fairytale moment the moment where they meet in the woods is by far a greater fairytale moment than the end where they are dancing. The only thing that could beat the meeting in the woods scene would be where Philip kisses Aurora to wake her from her sleep. So it would definitely be one of the two, I personally am hoping for the meeting in the woods moment as it would be similar to the Ariel and Eric doll and would be nice scene for them to capture. At the end of the day I will be happy with what Disney decides to put Aurora in so long as if they do not just do another Barbie in a princess outfit (i.e Cinderella) and the appropriate hair that she deserves and not that horrid beehive they gave her in her 2011 princess doll.

I totally agree with all you said, but Amen! to the bolded part! :)

You know what would be cool? If they release 3000 dolls in blue and 3000 in pink.

Make the fans pick between the two. XD

ooooh, that would be interesting. I like both the dresses. I think blue looks the best, but pink is the 'official' one, so I like both just fine. Highly unlikely I'm getting any of the new stuff anyway, so my opinion doesn't count :). Hope everyone who does get it gets something they can appreciate.

I will be happy with whatever color they decide, but it would pretty amazing to have her in blue :)
Lordofanime, I like your idea, the only problem would be that that majority of us would want to get both dolls because its two separate colors. That would be mayhem, especially for our wallets! lol XD

I will be happy with whatever color they decide, but it would pretty amazing to have her in blue :)
Lordofanime, I like your idea, the only problem would be that that majority of us would want to get both dolls because its two separate colors. That would be mayhem, especially for our wallets! lol XD

LOL I agree, I would prefer less variations and just more time spent on making the dolls worth the money we spend on them haha. After the whole Harrods set VS normal dolls I would prefer if Disney just left the variations to the Disney Designer Dolls during the expo years because at least those I can handle

I like the idea about changing colors. Where from one angle it's pink and the other it's blue. That would be perfect.

I have some good news! There are plans for a sort-of Art book for Sleeping Beauty in the works! It is called (appropriately):Once Upon A Dream: From Perrault's Sleeping Beauty to Disney's Maleficent by Charles Solomon (MSRP: $40, but should be cheaper through online book websites) that should be along the same vein as the book he wrote for Beauty and the Beast a couple of years ago, which traces the development of our beloved medieval tale from its origins as it pertains to Disney through the more modern developments (for Beauty and the Beast it went from the early French retellings through to the Broadway musical, so for Sleeping Beauty it seems to be doing a similar thing). So I don't think we will be seeing a specific "Art of" book for Sleeping Beauty other than this one, as Charles Solomon is one of the dedicated "Art of" authors. Hopefully this book does not disappoint, with all of that awesome hidden archival material stashed away in the Disney archives! Needless to say, I already pre-ordered this one! http://www.amazon.com/dp/1423199022/?tag=thebroketogra-20

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it'll be just as much about the 59 as the Maleficent film. i got to see a lot of reproductions at the Cartoon Art Museum years back including color tests on Briar Rose's blouse. Even saw a few Davis' sketches.

What I'd love to check out is this one: http://stuartngbooks.com/art-books/animation-and-film/la-belle-au-bois-dormant-sleeping-beauty.html

Actually found a men's Maleficent shirt at Hot Topic today. So rare to find anything solely this movie for guys so I'll have to pick it up soon.: http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Po...cent+Maleficent+Slim-Fit+T-Shirt-10096876.jsp

As for the 2011 DS, that Beehive is the main reason I don't own that doll. Most Aurora dolls look like glorified Barbies to me. All I ask is a sculpt that actually looks like what Davis/Dias drew. The latest classic one sort of looks good now that the bangs are right. The Princess Line redesign just destroys her hair and the hair is so key.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it'll be just as much about the 59 as the Maleficent film. i got to see a lot of reproductions at the Cartoon Art Museum years back including color tests on Briar Rose's blouse. Even saw a few Davis' sketches.

What I'd love to check out is this one: http://stuartngbooks.com/art-books/animation-and-film/la-belle-au-bois-dormant-sleeping-beauty.html

As for the 2011 DS, that Beehive is the main reason I don't own that doll. Most Aurora dolls look like glorified Barbies to me. All I ask is a sculpt that actually looks like what Davis/Dias drew. The latest classic one sort of looks good now that the bangs are right. The Princess Line redesign just destroys her hair and the hair is so key.

Thank you for posting the link for this! If I could afford that book, I would so buy it! =) I've seen scans from this book, and the design/concept images alone are so wonderful! I can only hope that the Charles Solomon book will be as good. Based on his book for Beauty and the Beast, it will be broken up into three main sections, with most of it being about the animated film. Again, I am hoping that the part about the Maleficent film is more minimal, because I am sure that there will be other "making of" books for it, since it is a new film. Sleeping Beauty from 1959 needs more love (and books about the creation)! I'm also still waiting for books of this nature for Cinderella and The Little Mermaid!

As for the (hopefully) coming plethora of Aurora dolls in 2014, I think that this year's head sculpt will be the order of the day for any 12" dolls and last year's 17" singing doll head sculpt will probably be used for any 17" LE Aurora doll. I'm ok with that, as both sculpts are pretty good. Of course, her hair has got to be done right with the proper bangs! This year's Classic Aurora is a step in the right direction, but her bangs are not quite as nice as they used to be. The earlier, pre-2012 Disney Store Aurora dolls had perfect Aurora hair. The 2011 Classic/sparkle Aurora doll is still my overall favorite 12" Aurora doll to date (which is why she's wearing my OOAK Designer Aurora gown). :) I also hope that they ditch the ugly hard plastic articulated legs and bring back the high heeled shoes.

I also anticipate that we may also see a DS Sleeping Beauty deluxe doll set. So far for Cinderella and Ariel, they included a previously-unreleased character doll (or dolls) in the deluxe set, so I wonder if we'll see either a King Stephan or Queen Leah!?! That would be awesome. But they may just stick with the existing Classic dolls: Aurora, Prince Philip, Maleficent, Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather along with maybe a dress form and Aurora's alternate dresses (blue gown and Briar Rose outfit from the older fashion packs).

They have tons of Villains shirts at Threadless.com, that shirt you posted has been on their site for about a year. Its one of my favorites to wear!

Yeah, I'm sort of aware about the fan made shirts online, but have never bought any. I'm still something of a brick and morter store kind of guy. What bugs me is that I HAVE to go to non-Disney sources for this sort of thing. You'd think someone at Disney would realise that maybe a guy might like the cool dragons and stuff in a "Princess film". That you can make it "guy friendly". Like i said, I've bough certain Disneyland shirts specifically because they has Aurora or Ariel, etc. on them. Still miss my lost Beauty and the Beast broadway shirt, the only BatB guys shirt I've ever seen from official sources that isn't a "relationship status" shitrt (like the one Philip shirt too).

I'm sure all the guys Frozen stuff will be Olaf, Olaf and more Olaf with maybe a Kristof thrown in if that.

Thank you for posting the link for this! If I could afford that book, I would so buy it! =) I've seen scans from this book, and the design/concept images alone are so wonderful! I can only hope that the Charles Solomon book will be as good. Based on his book for Beauty and the Beast, it will be broken up into three main sections, with most of it being about the animated film. Again, I am hoping that the part about the Maleficent film is more minimal, because I am sure that there will be other "making of" books for it, since it is a new film. Sleeping Beauty from 1959 needs more love (and books about the creation)! I'm also still waiting for books of this nature for Cinderella and The Little Mermaid!

As for the (hopefully) coming plethora of Aurora dolls in 2014, I think that this year's head sculpt will be the order of the day for any 12" dolls and last year's 17" singing doll head sculpt will probably be used for any 17" LE Aurora doll. I'm ok with that, as both sculpts are pretty good. Of course, her hair has got to be done right with the proper bangs! This year's Classic Aurora is a step in the right direction, but her bangs are not quite as nice as they used to be. The earlier, pre-2012 Disney Store Aurora dolls had perfect Aurora hair. The 2011 Classic/sparkle Aurora doll is still my overall favorite 12" Aurora doll to date (which is why she's wearing my OOAK Designer Aurora gown). :) I also hope that they ditch the ugly hard plastic articulated legs and bring back the high heeled shoes.

I also anticipate that we may also see a DS Sleeping Beauty deluxe doll set. So far for Cinderella and Ariel, they included a previously-unreleased character doll (or dolls) in the deluxe set, so I wonder if we'll see either a King Stephan or Queen Leah!?! That would be awesome. But they may just stick with the existing Classic dolls: Aurora, Prince Philip, Maleficent, Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather along with maybe a dress form and Aurora's alternate dresses (blue gown and Briar Rose outfit from the older fashion packs).

Yeah, SB is still something of a black sheep due to it's sordid past and chilly period reception. There actually are Little Mermaid artbooks. I have one, but it's tiny (both on pages and dimensions) and I paid too much for it not realise it and went on to lose it. There's an even better sketchbook series on it that's magnificent, rare and extremely expensive when you do find it.

I've not been long on collecting dolls, so I'm only really familiar with the latest ones. The only Aurora doll I own is the Precious Moments Blue that my sister bought for me which sort of broke the whole her getting me dolls thing. Like i told her, I'm not big on PM so it seemed odd to me, moreso than usual. Still, it's a nice doll i suppose.

By the way, since when did the queen have a name? I've been seeing that pop up lately.

I believe in the 90's a something was released that named the Queen as "Leah." I believe it's widely accepted but unofficial (like Grimhilde, Ferdinand, and Adam's names). I personally love that name for her :)

By the way, since when did the queen have a name? I've been seeing that pop up lately.

I believe in the 90's a something was released that named the Queen as "Leah." I believe it's widely accepted but unofficial (like Grimhilde, Ferdinand, and Adam's names). I personally love that name for her :)

Yes, auroradawn is correct: Queen Leah was never named in the actual film, but this name does show up in Disney storybooks (like the way The Queen was named Queen Grimhilde in the 1937-1938 Sunday comic strip retelling Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs). So the fact that you can find this name in Disney-approved publications does make it an "official" unofficial name. It is nice to be able to put a name with the face, instead of relationship-based descriptors: "so-and-so's ______."

Yeah, I'm sort of aware about the fan made shirts online, but have never bought any. I'm still something of a brick and morter store kind of guy. What bugs me is that I HAVE to go to non-Disney sources for this sort of thing. You'd think someone at Disney would realise that maybe a guy might like the cool dragons and stuff in a "Princess film". That you can make it "guy friendly". Like i said, I've bough certain Disneyland shirts specifically because they has Aurora or Ariel, etc. on them. Still miss my lost Beauty and the Beast broadway shirt, the only BatB guys shirt I've ever seen from official sources that isn't a "relationship status" shitrt (like the one Philip shirt too).

I'm sure all the guys Frozen stuff will be Olaf, Olaf and more Olaf with maybe a Kristof thrown in if that.
I agree about the shirts thing for guys. I have a few Disney ones but they are mostly park related. This weekend at WDW I saw a guy in an amazing Ariel shirt. I had never seen any of the princesses done for guys. I guess I have to check non-disney places for these.

We got our picture taken with Belle and she asked us what other of her princess friends were we going to see and we said Aurora and she told us to ask Aurora if she could send over the fairies to play with Chip. It was cute.

Then we went and delivered the message to Aurora. Guys...the person who was Aurora was so beautiful and so engaging and friendly. We got like 40 pics of her with us. She told us to keep the kingdoms safe from dragons that day and put us on official dragon slaying duty. Then she told us that Snow White makes the most amazing cake dessert with tons of frosting, and we had to run and tell Snow that she must bring this dessert the next time she comes to Aurora's kingdom.

It was so cute, and now Im even more excited to for next year with all the Aurora stuff.

Had us thinking, wonder if all the princess meet and greets, they have you relay messages to the other princesses, since it happened to us twice. We never got to meet Snow though.

Now we have set a goal to get a picture with all the princes, princesses, etc and do a big collage of them. We also got our pic with Gaston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back