The Disney 52 Animated Challenge: Year-Long Activity! NOW PLAYING: Nightmare Before Christmas

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by MerlinEmrys, Dec 15, 2017.

1. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

[​IMG]
    101 Dalmatians (1961)

Since I'm assuming most people will take Monday as the watch day, or at least won't have the analysis completed (and since I'm so late in posting this...) I am allowing Monday as a "wrap-up" discussion on Sleeping Beauty. So you're welcome to respond to other analyses throughout the day.

However, you may not post any more full analyses for Sleeping Beauty to count for completion toward the 52 Challenge. No late homework. ;P

~Merlin

2. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Hmm, Just got done watching. I'll try to post tonight, otherwise I'll get it done by tommorow.

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  3. unibear

unibear DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

So, One Hundred and One Dalmatians. I didn’t realize it was based on a book.

1. My overall impression of the movie… Several things:

• Pongo is the narrator of the film, not Roger.
    • Is this the first time we see the trope of dogs looking like their owners? When Pongo is trying to find a mate for Perdita, just about every owner looks like their dog (or is that human?).
    • Another case of class warfare: Jasper and Horace are poor/cockney accent = they are thieves; Roger and Anita are more well off = victims/good guys. Although Cruella isn’t low-class, but she is a villain.
    • Why would Cruella call to console Anita about the puppies stolen? That would immediately put her under suspicion in my mind. Roger agrees, but they also said that Scotland Yard had thoroughly investigated her as a suspect in the crime.

2. I chose to analyze Sergeant Tibbs, because he’s the lone cat in this film. It’s nice to see a progression in the portrayal of cats from villains to heroes! Tibbs serves as the trusty assistant to the General, an absent-minded dog who was probably an incredible hero in his younger days and still manages to do great things. Tibbs serves as the General’s eyes and ears on the ground due to his agility, and Tibbs is sent in to scout the puppies to see if the 15 Pongo puppies are among them. He is also sent in to rescue the puppies from Horace and Jasper before they can bop them on the head and skin them, and Tibbs serves admirably. He leads all of the puppies out a hole in the wall (pushing Roly through the rather tiny hole) and helping them hide in different rooms/under the stairs. He also tries to quietly grab Lucky and hide him away from Horace and Jasper.

Overall, Tibbs is a fine character and a hero. I also loved that all animals in this movie (dogs, cats, geese, cows, horses, etc.) all work together as heroes against the villainous humans. My only complaint is that I now want more Sergeant Tibbs pins… NOW!!

3. The scene I chose was the puppies watching TV at home with Pongo and Perdita. Obviously, the major goal of this scene was to overdose us all on the absolute cuteness of the puppies, and it succeeded admirably! I loved the way the puppies were animated as being fascinated/rapt at the images of the TV and the wildly wagging tails! I am by no means a dog-person (bet you didn’t know that after my Lady and the Tramp critique), but I found myself loving the puppies; and if they can make ME love puppies, then all other lesser mortals are doomed to the cuteness!

I also liked that the animators worked to make each puppy distinct, with a look and personality of his/her own. The comments from the puppies while watching the show also demonstrated the attitudes of (human) children—their fascination with Thunderbolt as a hero, the fact that Dad is still better than any TV hero, etc.

[​IMG]

4. I’m sure most of us will analyze the song “Cruella De Vil”, since it’s about the only song in the movie. Roger makes up the song on the spot when he sees Cruella drive up, and is obviously expressing his disdain for Anita’s schoolmate. I do believe that he’s using hyperbole to express how scary, cruel and evil (i.e., her name) she is, but I don’t believe even he believes that she is capable of the things that she’s going to do in the movie…

I love that Roger is playing the song in the attic while Cruella visits with Anita, an inside joke from Roger to Anita and making his feelings about Cruella known, at least to Anita. From previous memories, I thought I remembered that Cruella was Anita’s aunt (maybe I was confusing her for Aunt Sarah of Lady and the Tramp?), but the movie clearly states that she is Anita’s classmate. What I want to know is, if Anita didn’t really like Cruella, why didn’t she just “lose her number” and stop associating with her? “Classmate” isn’t really a strong relationship that can't be lost.

It’s also ironic that Cruella disparages Roger as Anita's “bold and fearless Sir Galahad” and says later, once the puppies are born, that they can’t afford to keep them all and makes fun of Roger’s “little songs”. However, we find at the end of the movie, once Roger decides to keep all 99 puppies, that he’s made a lot of money from his song about Cruella, enough that they can afford to buy a Dalmatian Plantation in the country.

5. The specific symbol I chose to analyze was the puppies’ coloring. Ultimately, the physical appearance of the puppies tell us so much more about Cruella than they tell us about the puppies.

Cruella is clearly a very vain person, only interested in the physical appearance of her soon-to-be spotted coat. When the puppies were born, Cruella was very interested in them until she saw that they were born white (without spots). Her attitude was: “They’re mongrels… No spots! No spots at all! What a horrid little white rat!” But when the Nanny tells her they’ll get their spots in a few weeks, she was like: “Well in that case I’ll take them all, the whole litter.”

Pongo and Perdita take advantage of Cruella’s single-mindedness regarding spotted puppies by rolling everyone in the chimney soot (Cinderella shout-out!) to make them look black = Labradors instead of Dalmatians = worthless!! That way, they were able to sneak the puppies out of the barn into the truck right under Horace, Jasper, and Cruella’s noses!

7. I don’t know if it was the GOAL of this movie, but whether intended or not the movie predicted changes in public opinion regarding two major issues that have subsequently become hot-button issues but were not necessarily so in 1961.

The first, obviously, is the acceptability of wearing fur. Many people still wear fur today, but PETA and other groups have been able to change some of the public opinion about the suitability of wearing real fur. Now, the movie takes the stance that fur coats are bad, but only when they’re made of adorable puppies—and that probably pretty accurately reflects the views of 1961 society—but the torture of raising animals (and skinning them) to make fur is one of the major arguments of anti-fur groups. And Cruella is cast as one of the most realistic and therefore evil villains because you don’t run into spell-casting evil fairies often, but you could easily run into a fur-obsessed nut job on the street!

The second topic is cigarette smoke. Again, in 1961 smoking was acceptable and not looked down on much, but this movie makes more of Cruella’s smoke when she comes into the house to meet with Anita the first time. I get the feeling that the movie is more about the general thoughtlessness of Cruella blowing smoke at Roger and Pongo and not thinking a bit about them, and that was one of the first major arguments used by anti-smokers. Unfortunately, we then learned of the adverse health aspects of smoking (on smoker and bystander), and that also helped move the anti-smoking campaign forward.

8. This movie continues to build on (and recycle) previous motifs used in other Disney movies. These include:

• Pongo setting up the meeting between Roger and Anita felt reminiscent of (borrowed from) how the woodland creatures got Prince Phillip and Briar Rose to meet.
    • The Nanny feels reminiscent of Nana in Peter Pan, dutifully caring for the family and the puppies, and Pongo even says that she seems almost canine—a nod to Nana?
    • Cruella’s yellow-green smoke seems reminiscent of Maleficent’s flames, especially as the smoke engulfs the photo of Pongo and Perdita on the wall.
    • The dogs in this movie weren’t given accents like they were in Lady and the Tramp to match their breed/ethnicity.
    • Also, in a nod to Lady and the Tramp, we see Peg and the Bulldog in a pet shop window (to let us know they weren’t killed in the pound?), and we also see Tramp and Lady on the streets!

10. I picked this pin (35096) because to me, this film seems to be all about Cruella and her obsession with a speckled dog-skin fur coat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    slbrabham likes this.
  4. unibear

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

By the way, I'm not sure if Merlin planned for this to happen when we were talking about 101 Dalmatians or not, but did anybody know what yesterday was??

NATIONAL PUPPY DAY!!! (Take 99; they're small!)

MerlinEmrys and coblj003 like this.
  5. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Yes it was. I hope to help out with book details this time as well, (just like with Bambi) as I love the book. Feel free to ask if you'd like to know anything! :)
    In the book Tibbs is a female cat and Cruella has a female cat, too, she moves to the Dearly family in the end. In the book, their surname is Dearly, no given names for the dog owners, they are just Mr. and Mrs. Dearly. And Perdita is actually a lost dog Mrs. Dearly picks up from the roadside, Pongos mate is called Missus. Perditas mate is Prince. They also have eight puppies who were among the puppies at Hell Hall.
    Nanny is actually a fusion of Nanny Butler and Nanny Cook, they were the old nurses of Mr. and Mrs. Dearly in the book.
    And now, my favourite part, translating. Cruella de Vil is translated as Szörny Ella (Beast Ella), Ella beeing her given name. This is too short for the song Cruella de Vil so it is turned into Szörny Ella de Frász. :)

She was her classmate in the book, too. Mr. Dearly thought they were friends but his wife replies that they were not friends, she was afraid of Cruella. The couple is also described as very truthful so they even accepted an invitation to dine with Cruella and her husband. Losing the phonenumber didn't work, either, they meet accidentally on the street, near Cruellas home in London.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    PixiePost likes this.
  6. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

And here we are in our 2nd Pet oriented feature film, 101 Dalmatians. Made on a significant budget cut vs the last film, this marked the first film that would use a revolutionary technique by xerox that would provide a working template (for better or worse) for future films up until the Disney Renaissance. This would also mark the last film that one of the 9 old Men, Marc Davis, would have on its team before he went on to become a legendary park imagineer.
    [​IMG]

1. Overall Impression

[​IMG]
    This film is unique in design as it uses a sketch like quality not found in previous films. This is a byproduct of the xerox copy process used to manufacture much of the repetitive animation, (such as 99 individual puppies). It's very contemporary for the time and kinda reminds me a bit of a Chuck Jones or Tom and Jerry cartoon.
    [​IMG]
    The music itself is very jazzy, gone is the background choir and grand orchestra present in the 40's/50's and replaced by a somewhat minimalist setup like Dumbo was from Fantasia. If you discount the commercial jingle, there are only two sung songs(by Roger) in the film.

2. Character Analysis
    [​IMG]
    The antagonist, Cruella De Vil was exclusively animated by Marc Davis, and it shows rather quite well. It comes as a surprise that the villain would be voiced by a Cinderella alum, Betty Lou Gerson, who was that movie's narrator. Cruella De Vil's design really inspires to be the devil woman she is described as. Her two faced nature is drawn out into her half/half design, similar to the Batman character Two-face. She could be sickly sweet to them at one moment, angry the next, back to sickly sweet while lying to them as a sociopath would. Her long white coat, is accentuated by bright red gloves, a wolf(devil in this case) in sheep's clothing so to speak. Cruella's actions till the midpoint aren't illegal(albeit cruel and inhumane) per say up until she takes out her revenge against the Radcliffe household to steal 15 puppies out of 99, all the while feigning any responsibility for dognapping them.

3. Scene Analysis
    [​IMG]
    The introduction of the Dalmatian Pongo and his owner Roger is very interesting. The narration comes primarily from the perspective of Pongo who justifies his relationship of his owner in reverse order; I love the use of Pongo's term for Roger as his pet as it reminds me of Humane society posters I see from time. Backgroundwise, the flat is very messy, such as the life as a stereotypical Bachelor would be imagined to be.
    [​IMG]
    The room is colored primarily with blue and green, very earthy and masculine. This scene of Pongo laying on the Sofa was a favorite of the book's author Dodie Smith as it captured his Laissez Faire attitude perfectly.

4. Song Analysis,
    The Kanine Krunchy jingle is kinda similar to the triple dent guy commercial from Inside out, it just sticks in your head and it won't go away. The commercial back then was actually a sponsorship; usually the commercial would occur itself before and after the program itself. The brand would show up all over merchandise or vice versa; Just another way that is different then than it is today. What I like about it is if you listen carefully, you will hear another Cinderella voice alum, Lucille Bliss(Anastasia), singing the jingle.

5. Symbolism
    [​IMG]
    The use of the glass pane of the front door was an appropriate use of forshadowing when her as a spider. Roger is vhemenately describing his contempt for Anita's classmate as he describes Cruella, she arrives behind the frosted pane of the front door, the glass eerily reminiscent of a spider web; her profile then making out a grotesque spider as he described.

8. Connections
    [​IMG]
    As another nod to Cinderella, the Female lead's live-action model was portrayed by Helene Stanley, who was the model for Cinderella and princess Aurora.
    [​IMG]
    As the setting is London, it is only fitting that some scenery from previous films would be reused such as this aerial view of London in comparison to the one from Peter Pan.
    [​IMG]

9. Iconic scene.
    [​IMG]
    While the movie is about 101 Dalmatians, I feel that it's villain is the most memorable aspect of this movie. The most iconic scene for me would be the car chase with Cruella madly chasing after the truck. Her bloodshot eyes and disheveled hair truly make her out to be a devil to the audience.

10. Representative pin
    [​IMG]
    Pin 696 DS - Countdown to the Millennium Series #63 (Cruella De Vil)

This early pin does a great job at showing the iconic scene above. I love that it shows the crazy spirals in the eyes which some other pins of this scene seem to lack.

Stray Thoughts
    Is this the 1st Hidden Mickey present in the intro?
    [​IMG]

Along with real places, the movie tended to use real products as much as possible, substituting some other product placement for ones Disney may have not been able to get the rights to.

Regent Park,
    The park that is nearby is known for its gardens as well as the London Zoo, a familiar sight for Harry Potter fans.

Lilliput Magazine
    Is that really what it looks like? If you have to ask, yes, yes it is.
    [​IMG]

Reynolds News
    A real paper that changed names by the time the movie premiered.
    [​IMG]

The distance from London to Suffolk is roughly 100 miles.

Several dogs from Lady and the Tramp such as Jock make cameos during the twilight bark sequence.

The two shows shown at Hell Hall was a Disney Silly Symphony(It's Springtime) and a reinterpretation of a popular show What's my line(What's my crime).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    PixiePost likes this.
  7. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

I love these analyses! I watch the movies to enjoy them and then read these for the fun facts and neat insights. I may not add much to the conversations but I am getting a lot out of this. :) Thank you everyone!

My favorite parts of 101 Dalmatians: the lookalike dogs and owners, canine crunchies (I sing it if I need to bug my kids with a catchy tune), the Cruella DeVil song, and everything Rolly. :)
    [​IMG]

MerlinEmrys, PixiePost and Meritre like this.
  8. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!

OMG, I loved this!! It's so cuteeee. So appropriate for the week of National Puppy Day. I want a pupperrrrrr!! I also didn't realize it's based on a book; I'll have to read it someday. It's a good, family friendly store, especially fit for dog lovers. You can see how they reinforce the idea of man's best friend (Pongo matchmaking for Roger), how dogs and owners look/ act alike, and how smart dogs are (or can be haha). I think this is a movie that is timeless.

My one thing is that.. I don't think real life dalmations are as cute as these Disney ones. Kind of a bummer xD

2. Choose one specific character to analyze. You can explore how a character acts, what they say, how they dress, etc. to explain what they may represent or their function and meaning in the narrative.

I think an obvious choice is Cruella De Vil. Her name is literally cruel devil, and she really is! I didn't know she was Anita's schoolmate (didn't catch that when I was a kid). She's haughty, rude, self-absorbed, and ruthless. I want to point out some other "devil" things that slipped when I was a kid.
    [​IMG]
    This isn't a very good picture, but her lighter is a little.. monster? Looks like a dragon/ crocodile/ monster thing, which matches her earrings, ring, and cigarette. Not only has she a high taste in fashion but also likes to reinforce her namesake.

[​IMG]

Her phone is literally a horned devil LOL. I know the "horns" are the phone holder, but it has a little head, it's bright red, and even has little clawed feet. I'd also like to say that she smoked A LOT. I'll admit that when I was little, I thought this was the cool part of smoking: having one of those long cigarettes and dialing a phone hahaha

[​IMG]
    Even her car looks mean. The red continues the devil theme, the headlights look like eyes, and the bumper look like fangs. Also, she drives like a maniac (probably reinforcing that women are bad drivers, which is something the truck driver said when she pushed alongside his truck). OH!! I just realized that in Roger's song, he describes her as a vampire bat, and the car totally looks like a vampire!

4. Choose one song to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? What purpose does this song have in the film and does it succeed in that purpose?
    Going off the character analysis, I'll go into the Cruella De Vil song. Roger has a melody and then finds a subject for this song. Perdita mentions some woman who scares her, but it's not clear to the audience who/what's so bad about her. Roger's song seems to be poking fun at her, but really, it describes Cruella to a T. His last line is "The world was such a wholesome place until Cruella", which definitely describes Perdita's feelings about having puppies. She was so excited at first, and then she wished they weren't having puppies at all :[

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why?
    [​IMG]
    Just this scene overall, when they realize the puppies are covered in soot and everyone is so happy. I love that the nanny is really as much a part of the family as the dogs are.

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!
    For some reason, when I search "dalmations", only one error pin shows up. What's up with that?
    [QUICK EDIT: it has been pointed out that i spelled it wrong, and i checked my pinpics.. and yes, i spelled it wrong lol]

[​IMG]
    I can't choose one pin to best represent, but I guess this is one of my favorite scenes when the whole family is watching Thunderbolt. It shows family time, their hero (and how there's no one better than dad), and the ad for Kanine Krunchies (I used to love the jingle when I was a kid).

PixiePost likes this.
  9. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

LOL i'm pretty sure in pinpics, i spelled it as dalmatians.. oh wait.. nope, i spelled it wrong xD hahah

10. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

You misspelled Dalmatian...

11. unibear

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

It's because you spelled "dalmatians" wrong...

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  12. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

1) Overall impression-This was fun to watch. Well paced, artistically different, clever, completely entertaining. Vivid and bright/bold colors set the mood for a mod timeline. The narration by Pongo sets the storyline to be seen through the eyes of the pets, and humanizing them, as many of the Disney films have. Can be seen as a fashion awareness statement against animal fur used for clothing.
    3) The sequence that impressed me was the idea of the barking telegraph type system. Which explains why when 1 dog barks others join in! It's the 1st time I've noticed the reuse of characters from a previous film, I noticed Peg and Scottie from Lady and the Tramp.
    4) The iconic song is Cruella, it made Roger his first hit, although it seemed rather bold to write such a song about a classmate of your spouse.
    5) The symbol was Cruella's mansion, it showed that at one time her family had status and money. Her famoly once lived on an estate, that had fallen to ruin and resembles the haunted mansion. Inside it surprisingly has electricity for the television, but no lighting.
    10) The pin I liked was of them watching television together as a family, #63775, reminiscent of the times, when families watched their favorite shows together.

13. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

101 Dalmatians Analysis
    [​IMG]

1.) Overall Impressions
    This movie was a drastic departure from the previous fairy tale movies that the Walt Disney Company was famous for making. The characters were relatable and the location very much a real place. The animation style was different from previous films but it fit with the story. The backgrounds appeared less distinct or "scratchy" compared to the central characters. This brought focus to the characters.

As I watched the film, it reminded me of a caper or heist film. Cruella steals the puppies and the Pongos steal them back. You have a great chase scene and disguises. Interesting characters pop up along the way to help the Pongos. It's the Italian job for kids.

This film was released in 1961 and it felt contemporary to that year. However, with the exception of the TV very few other details scream it age. The design of the human characters could have been from numerous periods since 1961.

I enjoyed the film.

5.) Symbol

I chose to analyze the spots. The spots were located throughout the film in ways other than just on the dogs. Also, the spots drove Cruella to madness just as the spot drove Lady Macbeth to madness.

The film opened with the inclusion of spots (not on the dogs) with the irregular shape of the music notes and the cast and crew's name in the shape of spots in the opening credits. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, Cruella made Roger look like a dalamatian when she spotted him with ink. He and Pongo resembled each other in character and appearance. Both refused to let Cruella have the puppies. Having spots was a good thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cruella showed horror at the lack of the spots on the newborn puppies but she wanted them when Nanny defended the puppies' saying the spots would appear. [​IMG]
    As the film progressed, Cruella's determination to own the spots influenced her actions, especially in the chase scene. She became so focused on the spots she ignored clues that would have lead to the recapture of the puppies. When the dalmatians rolled in the soot, they became black and invisible to Cruella. [​IMG]
    She didn't think the spots could be hidden. [​IMG]
    Seeing those water spots enraged her. [​IMG]
    She lost focus on everything but the spots. [​IMG]
    The spots literally drove her to madness when her pursuit of the dalmatians caused her to chase the lorry and crash her car.
    [​IMG]

7.) Film's Goal
    This film heavily used the new style of animation involving the Xerox machine in an effort to save money. The film was made for 3.6 million which was almost half of Sleeping Beauty's budget of 6 million. The film was a success as it was one of the most popular films of 1961. The film showed that audiences would watch a film produced using the xerox technique which movies that followed for the next two decades used heavily.

8.). Progression
    Nanny reminded me of Merryweather in appearance and attitude. As mentioned before, there were several characters who had live action reference models that modeled for characters in other movies. For example, Anita looked similar to Cinderella and Aurora.

9.) Scene
    Cruella' wild crazy eyes as she chased the puppies was my iconic scene.
    [​IMG]
    It showed her as a possessed creature intent on only one course. The spots had driven her mad.

10.) Pin
    [​IMG]
    This pin showed Cruella driving and the spots surrounding her. This pin showed both part of my iconic scene and the importance of the spots in the film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meritre likes this.
  14. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

1. Overall Impression:
    Going into this movie, I was pretty blah. I remember liking the film fine as a kid, but I didn’t think it would really take as well as an adult. But I found myself very much enjoying the story—far more than I expected to. Even Russ was rather engrossed, and said that this was, by far, his favorite classic Disney movie.

The art style is a MAJOR change from Sleeping Beauty and even Lady and the Tramp. If I’m not mistaken, this was the first film to utilize what is essentially a Xerox style of animation, which explains a bit why some spots were more scratchy—we will see this even more in Sword in the Stone and Jungle Book.

Speaking of those guys, this film also is the first in what I consider Disney’s “Jazz” age. By and large, the films in the next decade are so far more light-hearted, the stakes are lower (or are at least soft pedaled, like including the bumbling Horace/Jasper along with Cruella), and the music is something all its own. This is, again, a departure from something like SB and I think it takes us a while before we really get back into the drama titles (like Rescuers).

2. Character Analysis:

Cruella is a pretty stellar villain, which is strange considering that she’s basically a C-Team villain in terms of marketing. In many ways, I wonder it’s because she’s too real. Maleficent is magically evil, Hook exists in this magical land, and Lady Tremaine is more nasty than evil. But Cruella is ultimately just cruel. The idea that she willingly and happily would kill puppies puts her, perhaps, beyond the pale with nothing likable at all about her. Moreover, the overwhelming association with the devil is pretty heavy handed. Her name, of course, but also things like her home (Hell Hall) and even her phone:

[​IMG]

In some ways I think Cruella was too much. There wasn’t anything about her character that made me want to like her at all. I’m not sure what exactly that means in terms of success for the film, but having such an extremely unsympathetic villain is something that doesn’t really work for modern audiences.

And the fact that Perdita wished she wasn’t having puppies because she was afraid of Cruella…man, that was heartbreaking…

5. Symbol Analysis:
    I really liked the imagery of how Pongo got Anita and Roger together. When he ties them up in his leash, there’s this idea of the “Red String of Fate”. It’s an Asian mythology that there’s an invisible red string which connected people who are fated to be together. We see this red string here in Pongo’s leash:

[​IMG]

I think considering this sort of imagery softens the rather objectifying gaze Pongo has when he’s “searching for a mate.” So now, rather than Pongo having picked someone suitable/desirable, he’s the agent of fate, as demonstrated by his red leash/string connecting the two.

7. Overall Goal:
    Something that struck me in this film was how quickly all of the dogs on the Bark Chain were quick and willing to help out someone they had never met. We hadn’t seen such kindness from total side characters so far in Disney lore. A nice side effect of this is that all of these side characters got a TON of development and attention to design. Russ and I were commenting on how fun all of dogs were (I loved the Lab, his favorite was the Collie). But this banding together was really heartwarming and I think spoke to the film’s overall goal of just having a happy, positive story.

9. Iconic Shot:
    While there are a few options here, I don’t think anything sticks out to me quite as much as the TV scene:

[​IMG]

I just love Lucky standing up and watching the screen closely, and elsewhere in the scene the puppy on Pongo’s head. It’s all so cute (and kinda meta, watching someone watching a screen?)

A very very close second would be the wedding. Super cute.

10. Representative Pin:
    [​IMG]
    Pin 63775 DLR - Featured Artist Collection - 101 Dalmatians (Jumbo)

Considering my iconic shot, I think this was an obvious choice, hahah! We get all the best parts of the scene: Lucky looking up, the dogs over the arm of the chair, the pups all over their parents. It’s just a good set up. :)

Close second would be: Pin 73765 DLR - Walt's Classic Collection - 101 Dalmatians - Roger Playing Piano

Spare thoughts:
    --I think this is the first film in which the opening credits design really correlated with whom they were crediting. The music, the book, the animation all utilized that idea in the credit tile:

[​IMG]

Also, this reminded me a lot of the Monster’s Inc. opening…

--Sgt. Tibbs is definitely the best side character of any Disney film so far. Holy crap he awesome. Why doesn’t he get any pin love!?

“Fire one!” “Fire two!”
    [​IMG]

--I really wanted to like Rolly, but honestly, he was annoying. And I think that was compounded by the fact that most of his animation was recycled.

--It never explained it in the film, but is Lucky the puppy that Roger revived? That’s what I had always assumed.

--Also, so many dog cameos in the Twilight Bark scene! It would be way too much to go back and get pictures, but there were tons! I remember Jock specifically, and a few others.

15. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

So Pokemon Go Community day is starting up here rather soon, so you guys have some extra time today. ;P Probably won't do the cutoff until about 5pm eastern. :)

16. unibear

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I don't know if you noticed, but Cruella gave Pongo extra spots as well!!

Good point about Cruella and her spot fixation. I noticed the "reverse dalmatian" look from the water drops, but I totally missed that is was these SPOTS that initially caught Cruella's eye. She wasn't convinced, however, until one of the puppies was completely immersed in snow and came out clean.

slbrabham likes this.
  17. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I remember reading somewhere that the fat puppy is the saved one but now as I looked for that source, I found that Lucky is the saved puppy
    In the book, the saved pup is Cadpig (a little girl) and Lucky got his name from a horseshoe shaped spot he has :)

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  18. unibear

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

Amen!! Power to the Sgt. Tibbs pins!! Does this mean that you are officially collecting Sgt. Tibbs pins now? Say your right words... Say your right words... (Sorry, Labyrinth reference).

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  19. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

It definitely make sense for the movie since he was thought to be dead and then was revived/ lucky to be alive.

Meritre likes this.
  20. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

About an hour left for 101 Dalmatians! :)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

21. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Will there be a chat tonight? If so, what time?

22. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

I think she called for two reasons. One she wanted to see if Anita had any clue that she was behind the theft. Second she called to gloat a bit to herself. She always thought herself superior to Anita.

23. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

You guys are welcome to have a chat, but I'm afraid I can't be there this week. I have some school work that has been ignored for too long. Hahah!

The typical start time is 7pm est, which is in about 30 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

24. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    503   0   0

25. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

[​IMG]
    The Sword in the Stone (1963)

Since I'm assuming most people will take Monday as the watch day, or at least won't have the analysis completed (and since I'm so late in posting this...) I am allowing Monday as a "wrap-up" discussion on 101 Dalmatians. So you're welcome to respond to other analyses throughout the day.

However, you may not post any more full analyses for 101 Dalmatians to count for completion toward the 52 Challenge. No late homework. ;P

~Merlin

PixiePost likes this.