The Disney 52 Animated Challenge: Year-Long Activity - NOW PLAYING: Princess and the Frog

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by MerlinEmrys, Dec 15, 2017.

1. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Beauty and the Beast
    1) Overall- This is another classic by Disney, beautiful animation, songs, and female empowered story. It seems with Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast the idea of "pruncess" has become about discovery and being oneself. Falling in love is still a main theme, but it also reinforces family love, in this movie it's learnng to go beyond who we see.
    2) The character that seemed to have the most growth was the Beast. He had to learn about love and gain patience through his staff/Belle, and sacrificed himself when others were n peril.
    3) The scene that shows their relationship/friendship grow is when he introduces the library to Belle, and she teaches him to read.
    5) The symbol that seems to tie in with this movie is books/reading. Belle is singing in the opening sequence going to a book vendor to return and get another book. She sings of the adventures, and love in books even though she's read them before they're still a thrill that excites her. Life in a boring village can be endured and days filled with dreams of possibilities (without pictures) can be imagined through reading/books!
    10) Although there is no lack of pin designs for this film, it's difficult to find one that best represents, #121791 is the iconic bell design with the closing stained glass of Belle and the Beast now as the Prince
    Closing thoughts: noticed Pixar in the credits and wondered if this is the start of collaboration with Disney

That's my 5 and now to figure out the Ducktales extra credit, I keep falling asleep through it : p

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  2. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Making this quick to get it in before cutoff.

Beauty and the Beast

3. The ballroom dancing scene is the knock out scene from the film. The colors are very rich, and the background has an intricate level of detail missing from a most of the rest of the film. In contrast to the rest of the castle, with its dark colors and demonic imagery, this room is brightly lit, and the cherubs on the ceiling are still angelic.

This scene features the love song of the movie, but interestingly it is sung by someone other than the characters who are falling in love.

This scene has a decidedly different action to it than the rest of the film. There are wide shots that show the characters very small in the large space, and sweeping shots with the camera panning down from the chandelier and around Belle and Beast. It gives the scene a high level of importance.

In town, Belle is the only character to wear blue to make her stand out. During this scene, however, she is wearing gold (a rich, royal color) and it is the Beast instead who is wearing blue. To me, this symbolizes the moment when they really connect and understand each other.

4. The villain song in the film is Gaston, and it reflects his personality perfectly. While villain songs of the past have focused more on revealing their plan or the motivation behind their actions, his song is purely a love song to himself. He is profoundly vain, and his motivation behind all of his actions is how good it makes him look to others. Even his infatuation with Belle seems to come more from winning the most beautiful girl in town rather than any feelings he has for her. So it makes sense that his song would just be about how handsome and "perfect" he is - it is a reflection of how he views himself, and how he presents himself to the townspeople (so it is how they see him as well).

The message of the movie is that true love is more than skin deep, and I think it is conveyed pretty effectively in the film. Gaston is interested in Belle only because she is beautiful - several times through the movie he shows that he doesn't care at all what she has to say or what she thinks. He just wants "the most beautiful girl in town." She is a trophy for him. Belle, however, has no interest in him at all. Even though he is handsome, he doesn't have anything under the surface. This puts her off - she needs someone who she can connect to over something more than just good looks. She finds this in Beast. She falls in love with him despite what he looks like - she gets to know his personality.

Gaston doesn't understand this. He sees the Beast and can't believe that Belle would love Beast over himself, because he views himself as far superior looking. "Do you honestly think she's want you when she could have someone like me?" He knows nothing about Beast other than looks, and lacks the ability to understand that others may find value in something other than beauty.

9. There are actually three iconic shots for me - The three times where Belle and Beast are in profile facing each other. It represents three important moments in their relationship - the moment where Belle becomes a prisoner, Belle and Beast eating together and starting to get to know each other, and the ballroom dancing scene where they start falling in love.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. There are so many pins of the ballroom scene! But this pin stands out from the others, as it looks as if it a slider, which means there is action on the pin. This reflects the sweeping action shots in this scene compared to the others.

[​IMG]

Random Thoughts

~ "How can you read this? There's no pictures?" Um...

[​IMG]

~ All the time she spent with him in the castle, did Belle never once ask Beast's name? She only refers to him as Beast, even to him.

~ Runners-up for most iconic image:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pincrazy likes this.
  3. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Nope. They were also credited in Rescuers Down Under.

pincrazy likes this.
  4. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Cool to know! Thanks:stitch:

5. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Hahaha, I'm annoyed at this one! I did most of my write-up a few days ago but wasn't able to save my work, and it all disappeared. So this is round two of this write-up.

DuckTales the Movie: The Treasure of the Lost Lamp

1. I was not really a fan of this, and would probably not watch it again. It wasn't as bad as Peter Pan (y'all know my feeling on that), but it was still pretty bad. I actually found myself spacing out a few times during watching, which isn't really a good sign. There was enough fluff that could be cut out that this could easily have been a regular episode of the show, or at least a two-parter.

Merlock seemed really weak as a villain to me. Genie kept talking about how powerful and terrible he is, but we're never really shown it. His power is mostly used to track the lamp or to transform into different creatures. I think if they used a different villain that we were more familiar with, such as Magica or Flintheart, the story would have been improved.

2. I really disliked Dijon. He was the epitome of the "cowardly greedy assistant" trope (he reminded me a lot of Beni from The Mummy). His motivation for doing anything was how it would benefit him, and often led to injury, either by his own hand (tripping over himself/falling because of his stuffed pants) or by others when they found out he stole from them. His stereotypical generic Middle Eastern accent and broken English didn't really help. And the fact that he was the only Middle Eastern/Egyptian character to really get any lines or meaningful screentime gives the impression that all people from that area are like this.

7. The overall goal of the movie is to teach us that helping others is more important than being selfish. Dijon's greedy ways and the more selfish wishes led to nothing but trouble; the only way that things could be turned right after everything went wrong was to use a wish for something other than self gain (Huey reversing Webby's wish for the elephant, Louie reversing Webby's wish for the toys to come alive, and Scrooge wishing Genie free).

9. I think the best scene is where the kids are making wishes in the woods. It's reflective of how a kid would most likely use their wishes, for things like giant toys and ice cream sundaes. (Heck, even to me right now as a grown adult, the largest ice cream sundae in the world sounds pretty darn good!) I also like this shot as is inlcudes Genie casting his magic to make the wish come true.

[​IMG]

10. Aside from buttons, no Lost Lamp-specific pins exist, at least not that I could see. This pin shows the adventurous spirit of the show the movie was based on, though:

[​IMG]

Pin# 92574 - Disney Afternoon Mystery Set – DuckTales Logo

Random Thoughts

~ Genie read through the entire encyclopedia and yet was still surprised the Earth is round?

~ Scrooge, Genie probably just saved your life by pulling you into the lamp. Are you really going to complain about it?

DeputyDonald likes this.
  6. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

DuckTales-Treasure of the Lost Lamp
    1) Overall-I'm guessing this is a movie that was made as a filler in between larger pieces of animation? I'm not familiar with the series, but have heard from Tessa and others bout some characters due to pin designs. The story starts with a Raiders of the Lost Ark feel, but departs after leaving the pyramid. The story seems to stray, and become something better in thought/storyboard, as well as geared to a younger audience. It's not a classic is my best analysis.
    2) Scrooge McDuck is the most recognizable character to me, and although he's a crotchety old duck he has his loveable moments.
    3) There are many scenes from other movies interwoven within this one, but being Disney the most noticeable was towards the end and Scrooge wishes Genie to be a real boy! Reminiscent of Pinocchio.
    5) Logical would be the lamp, but the Talisman that Merlock has is by far what makes everything more powerful!
    6) The line of dialog that seems interesting is an exclamation by Genie when he makes wishes happen and that's SHABOOEY! It almost comes out like a sneeze. Okay noticed he's said it at other times as well, but it's most noticeable when producing a wish.
    Hope this qualifies for extra credit, not much of an analysis, there's not much there or I've completely missed it!
    Hopefully this passes as an effort, cause I had a hard time trying to stick with it :stitch:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  7. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

:( I so wanted to stay up for this chat but I simply can't :'( - have to get up early tomorrow, I start to work as a trainee. Most likely I have to pass next week too :( :(

MerlinEmrys and pincrazy like this.
  8. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Just watching Waking Sleeping Beauty bonus features, and found out how much Howard Ashman's influence was on these past 2 films, Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, in regards to the musicality. He passed before Beauty was released, and since these have been our last 2 films, just wanted to give an homage to his gift to us through song!

9. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

Much to my dismay, I do not think I will be able to make the chats on Sunday nights for the foreseeable future. Obviously they can happen without me, but I'm still bummed :(

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

10. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Ack, late late late... I'm going to go ahead and do the main feature unfortunately won't get to see Ducktales feature as I don't have the time today...
    [​IMG]

1. Overall Impression
    So here we are to probably the most revolutionary movie that Disney has produced thus far, Beauty and the Beast. Not only is the animation phenomenal and distinct against it's predecessors, it showcases probably one of the best and memorable soundtracks of any movie to date. This is the first Disney VHS I remember as a kid and watched it repeatedly as much as I could back then. I believe it is the only Disney Animated Feature to be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, losing only to The Silence of the Lambs. It did win the oscars for best music score(accompanied by the New York Philharmonic) and best original song(Beauty and the Beast), which was kinda funny as the movie had three spots out of five nominated in that category("Belle"and "Be Our Guest" additionally). I ended up watching the extended version with the Human Again sequence. While I prefer it enough to watch initially, I do understand that some viewers do not like the addition as it seemingly disrupts the pacing; I like that it fleshes out more of the side/background objects then before.

2. Character Reflection
    [​IMG]
    The Enchantress is one of the characters that is neither good nor evil, but as far as Disney Movies are concerned magic is still very much a force to be reckoned with. I have a feeling that her design was based on a more religious figure from medieval stained glass, most likely the Virgin Mary; Her head is shrouded in a halo like effect signifying holiness/purity, and it was was common theme to show royalty genuflecting/praying in church stained glass amongst the saints, angels, and Jesus. Beyond her only role in the introduction of this film, I recall the Disney world live version(I haven't seen the Broadway Musical) would utilize one of the bimbettes to play the character in the intro and finale, seemingly inspiring the 2017 version of having the enchantress hide in plain site amongst the townspeople.

3.-4. Scene/Music Analysis
    [​IMG]
    We'll go on and analyze the "Disney" Moment of the film, the Death scene of the Beast. Overall it is engineered to make an impression and for the general audience who has not seen it, expect to see tears. Right beforehand you are given the impression that all is well, Beast and Belle are reunited and the music supports an uplifting direction. Then the unthinkable happens, the music turns a bit suspenseful right before the unrepentant villain falls to his doom after stabbing the Beast behind his back. The setting turns melancholy as it showcases Beast and Belle in each other's arm, the lightening in the background has diminished to steady rain. The music itself has sombered whilst a lone horn plays alongside a light orchestra in contrast to the full orchestra showcased earlier in the film's song numbers. The couple say semi encouraging phrases as the Beast finally relents, first Belle gasps, cries then the last flower petal drops amongst a black backdrop while the Trio of servants look on with despair; the music itself dims into nothing before breaking into the sudden "revival."

5. Symbolism.
    [​IMG]
    You may notice that this filmdoes not employ the traditional book opening(neither did the little mermaid) but instead begins the introduction with the use of Stained Glass window murals. While colored glass have existed since ancient times, Stained Glass artwork as we interpret them started taking shape toward the Middle Ages. Medieval Europe saw it used extensively for religious artwork in churches and rarely outside that use. The art form fell relatively out of fashion around the time of the reformation, many of the iconography destroyed and replaced with paned glass as Catholic Churches converted into protestant ones. The surviving ones remained relatively intact as the art form then saw a revival in the 19th century; it was then becoming more popular secularly as they took roo in commercial areas and homes versus just with their original religious origins, one of the most famous companies being the Tiffany glass company. One could say that it's use in the film also mirrors the very start of the Disney Animation Renaissance.

6. Quote
    [​IMG]
    "Vincit Qui Se Vincit" is the motto found in the first pane of stained glass with the prince. It roughly translates to "He Conquers Who Conquers Himself." Ironically, it seems like an illfitting motto initially as the beast struggles to control his own emotions and actions...

7. Film's message
    Similar to the Parable of the good Samaritan, The goal of Beauty and the beast is to show one's concept of beauty or assumptions of a person are not always one dimesional or skin deep. There are many factors that make an individual different then yourself but you should strive to treat them as you would like to be treated.

8. Progressions.
    The distinct feel of the animation was made in part by the new CAPS(computer animation production system), a new digital ink and paint software that was a joint effort between Disney and Pixar, yay no more unsightly Xeroxing anymore. The first prototype of CAPS was actually utilized in the ending scene of The Little Mermaid, while the first full movie to utilize it was the Rescuers Down Under. Hence the reason Pixar is listed in the credits, and probably will be until Home on the Range(the last feature to use the system).

9. Iconic Shot.
    [​IMG]
    As most of you chose the Beauty and the Beast scene as your iconic scenes, I'll choose the Be Our Guest number as a favorite scene of mine. This scene of lumiere and the tableware is the penultimate part of this song before the champagne corks take off...

10. Representative Pin.
    [​IMG]
    Pin 37530 Belle with Bookcase

Another iconic scene is during the Belle's theme when she is in the book seller's shop. Belle's scene of her sliding down the ladder of the Bookcase is probably my favorite part of the film but the screencaps site just misses over milliseconds of what I would use as the Iconic. Tell me not one of you didn't want to slide down a ladder after watching her do that lol.

Stray Thoughts
    [​IMG]
    The Dance sequence at the end is actually recycled from the Sleeping Beauty.

The Owner of the sanatorium is the same voice as that of the ghost host of the Haunted Mansion Attraction.

During the siege of the castle, the footstool has a hold of Le Fou's shoe which they chase into the kitchen; Le Fou's shoe is miraculously back on when they enter, only for it to be off again when they are chased out.

[​IMG]
    In the PC game King's Quest VI, the protagonist, Prince Alexander, is voiced by Robby Benson who also voiced the Beast/prince in B&tB. The plot ironically also employed a Beauty and Beast subarc(not to mention some other Fairy tales made famous by Disney).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Meritre and pincrazy like this.
  11. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I'm sad to hear that :(
    [​IMG]

I don't suppose moving it to some other time could work? Or possibly one big chat about all the movies which would last for more hours? The when would be chosen like last time?
    *is a little, okay very desperate because chat is fun and only made it twice so far*

coblj003 likes this.
  12. unibear

unibear DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I recognize the nod to the religious iconography of the "halo", but I think Disney got away with it because the light is actually coming from her wand and not her head. So, she's not really a holy religious icon...

13. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

great catch and choice - I never noticed that one!
    I don' know about the Broadway version but in the hungarian version the enchantress doesn't appear at all - the start and the end is given to human Mrs. Potts, she reads it to her son. With that she also takes the narrators lines. :)

Now that's a perfect summing up, Belle and the bookshop framed in the rose!
    This one is supposed to look like the Covrdly Lion fron The Wizard of Oz :)

coblj003 likes this.
  14. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

[​IMG]
    Aladdin (1992)

Monday/Tuesday is our "wrap-up" discussion on Beauty and the Beast and DuckTales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp. So you're welcome to respond to other analyses throughout the day.

However, you may not post any more full analyses for Beauty and the Beast and DuckTales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp to count for completion toward the 52 Challenge. No late homework. ;P

~Merlin

15. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

Ack! Not being around Sunday nights is throwing me off! XD But at least there's just one film this week, and probably my favorite!!!! <3

Meritre likes this.
  16. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

I bet you've been waiting for this week since this started, just like Lion King week for me! :D

Meritre likes this.
  17. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

You have no idea. XD (well that's a lie. You probably have a good idea XD)

I just have to remind myself to be objective...... Which I will probably fail at XD

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Meritre and timeerkat like this.
  18. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I couldn't chosse between them I like both movies so much! Both are favourites! :)

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  19. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

Aladdin is perfect. ;)

20. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

First for Aladdin, I thought there would be more of us doing the analyze for the Disney Renaissance and thought I'll get to read lots of stuff. Anyway, here you go, part 1:

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!
    Another of my childhood favourites, possibly the first Disney movie I ever saw (I don’t remember if I saw Aladdin or The Lion King first). It’s a perfect family movie with fun, unique main characters, a great villain, catchy songs and so much more to enjoy! I remember when we first moved (was around 6 years old then) my aunt who looked after us for that day rented Aladdin for us and we watched it twice within a few hours. I still love it just as much as a child although my favourites have changed a little, while as a child my absolute favourite was Jasmine now that title goes to Genie. It’s also my dad’s favourite Disney movie (and he’s not really into animated films, he likes history films). I watched it twice, so I have the original voices fresh in mind as well. I loved both. It sounds like cliché but if you listen to your mother tongue you catch things you’re not able to cach in any other language. That and childhood memories make me love the Hungarian dub. :) But it makes me a little sad that I’ll never be able to understand as much of the original dub as a native English speaker.
    I remember parts from the trailer or advertisement of the movie – Aladdin seeing the carpet for the first time and a little later telling to fly faster in the Cave of wonders, Aladdin finding the lamp and lifting it and Jasmine letting the birds out.
    We used to watch the series that went along with it every Sunday afternoon at my grandmother’s place back when it first aired. :)

2. Choose one specific character to analyze. You can explore how a character acts, what they say, how they dress, etc. to explain what they may represent or their function and meaning in the narrative. Try to avoid obvious "plot" stuff (ex: the Evil Queen is a villain, so her purpose is to be bad...), but explore unique and specific elements about the character (ex: the EQ is surrounded by images of peacocks, further suggesting her obsession with vanity). You may also use these elements to explain why you connected or disconnected from the character.
    Can I choose anybody else? No, it has to be Genie, although there are so many great characters and I doubt I can say anything new about him but he’s my favourite character from the movie if not my favourite Disney character. First his main color is blue and blue is a tipical color for a wizards robe (Uhm, Merlin has one right?) and Genie is a great wizard that is what defines him most at the beginning: making magic to fullfil wishes. He loves fun and big shows as his two songs show. But as the movie progresses we get to know more and more about his personality. He’s also a good judge of character (much better than Sultan :) ) He doesn’t only love fun and is a sunny person but he doesn’t hesitate to use his magic to help those he loves. He is a true friend to Aladdin just as Friend like me tells, helping him and giving him advice yet letting him decide. He also thinks promises important – first, he promises in his first song to be a great friend to Aladdin and even if Aladdin didn’t really take it seriously at first it turned out that he is indeed a very good friend to him. The second time we see his opinion about promises is the famous moment when he asks Aladdin to fullfil his promise and set him free right afte Aladdin got to know that he is to become sultan and thinks he can’t let Genie go.
    And he also shows how much he trasures his new friend, he encourages Aladdin to wish to be a prince again – putting the needs of others before his (as Olaf puts it).

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? Your analysis could include the scene’s use of color, action, camera angles, music, character development, setting, backdrop, style, etc. If you can justify it with evidence from the scene, then it’s an analysis!
    I think I’ll chose the very first moments of the movie. The movements of the smoke matches the music perfectly, same goes for the shimmer on the title. The purple smoke, the red flames and the music make a really mysterious intro, it introduces us to the movies exotic setting.
    [​IMG]
    The red and the yellow colors gives us the desert feeling, you can almost feel how hot it is there.
    [​IMG]
    Agrabah and the Sultans palace are shown just at the right moment, matching the music.
    [​IMG]
    This picture has some blue and purple in it so Agrabah doesn’t give the feeling of an oven where you can barely live, it is a nice and colorful place.

4. Choose one song to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? What purpose does this song have in the film and does it succeed in that purpose?
    I choose Friend like me – Genies big introduction song. It is supposed to show what Genie is like, what he is capable of and how much he loves a big show and pulling pranks. It succeeds perfectly, it is a fast, catchy showstopper number, showing perfectly this side of Genie. Just as he talks fast he sings fast as well and the rhythm the melody, everything matches Genie. A fast, happy song suits him perfectly. His other number, Prince Ali is a fast and happy show, too but that one is for presenting Prince Ali instead of presenting himself, he throws the show and does his best for Aladdin. And we get to know how very true the Friend part is – Genie is a true friend to Aladdin.
    I did’t catch most of the references as a child and I don’t do that now, either but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying every minute of Genies presence and Friend like me is my favourite from Genie. While doing a 31 day Disney Challenge I bumped into this site where all the people are listed that were impersonated in the movie:
    The Definitive Guide to Aladdin’s Genie Impressions – Laser Time
    It requires special skills to do the voice acting for Genie. I know that the Finnish dub got an award for the Genie dub but I think our Hungarian Genie doesn’t need to be ashamed of himself, he did a pretty good job as well. He did almost always Hungarian voice for Robin Williams. I don’t have to say that Robin Williams is – Robin Williams? You Understand. :)

5. Choose one specific symbol in the film to analyze. A symbol is typically something inanimate, an object, rather than a character. So don’t say “Brer Bear represents dumb people,” as that’s more of a character analysis than a symbol. Rather, think about specific objects (jewelry, clothing, houses, food, weapons, etc.) What does this symbol mean and how does that meaning impact the film?
    I thought a lot about this one this time. I ended with the apple as a symbole of the relationship between the streetrat and the princess. They first meet when Jasmine has ‘apple trouble’ she can’t pay for the apple she gave that child and the way Aladdin gives Jasmine the apple when they are up in his home (rolling over his shoulder) helps later Jasmine recognize Aladdin in Prince Ali. The apple, being red is a perfect symbole for their love and it also connect Jasmine to the first Princess, Snow White. (Well, for Jas it kind of worked that the apple makes her wish come true – she found the street rat she had met and wanted to meet again)
    The white flower is the counterpart, relationship between Prince Aladdin and Jasmine (yup, Prince Aladdin, not Ali :) )

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    pincrazy likes this.
  21. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

part 2:
    6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why. You can be a little loose with the “single line” bit, but let’s not go for Maleficent’s entire monologue to Philip... Rather, something like Stitch’s “This is my family. I found it all on my own. It’s little, and broken, but still good. Yeah – still good.” (brb weeping).
    But remember: Bee yourself!” An important lesson I’m still learning myself :) and it has a good pun in it and I love puns :) (That’s one of the things I didn’t catch as a child but now I do) It is the most important message for me from this movie. Presented by Genie as a good pun makes it even more effective. (The funny thing about it is that the pun would have worked in Hungarian, if oly Bee-Genie could have been turned into a Fly-Genie – but then again the stinging wouldn’t have made sense :) )
    Runner up: “Sometimes, you feel so trapped” First, it tells that being rich doesn’t make you happy and second, everybody dreams of something (even the almighty Genie) And everybody can feel desperate, feel like they can’t change things, no matter how much power, wealth they have – Genie can’t be free on his own, Aladdin is always on the run, Jasmine is always told what to do. I wonder if the Lamp could be interpreted as a symbol for this being trapped feeling – well, it is actually a trap for Genie.

7. What is this film’s overall goal? Is it to teach a specific lesson (what is it) or get an emotional response (such as)? Or both? And how well or poorly does the film succeed in that goal? Be specific!
    One of the messages is just like in Beauty and the Beast, not to judge by appearances, not everything is what it seems. Aladdin is much more then he seems, a diamond in rough. And Jafar who is acting like a faithful servant turns out to be a traitor.
    It adds to this message with the second one: be(e) yourself. And it also shows what happens if you desparately be something you are not – start to worry because of the what ifs – what if they find out, what if they – and so on. It just means more trouble. Whether it’s good or not so good it’s just best to be yourself. It’s good enough for those who love you and care about you. :) It will come up again in Hercules and Mulan, I think :)

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific! Also, consider what use there is in returning to or re-imagining those elements?
    It has tons of Easter Eggs: Genie turning his head into Pinoccio, taking Sebastian out of his book of Royal Recipes, not to mention the Beast figure Sultan plays with. And as another Princess movie it keeps building the modern Princess: Jasmine is smart, sassy and takes her future in her own hands. She thinks and does what she can to help and likes to understand the why and how (She asked Aladdin why he made Jafar wish himself to be a genie because she didn’t know about the lamp thing, she didn’t know enough about genies to see how Jafar being a genie could help them, thinking a genie is just as powerful as a wizard). Sultan has a lot in common with Belles father, they both love their daughter and want the best for them and have a great relationship with them and their build is similar, too. And both of them are curious and open and not afraid of unusal, normally inanimate objects that are alive. (Cogsworth and Carpet :))

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help!
    Like in Beauty and the Beast, it’s actually a song, a scene I think is most iconic (Beauty and the Beast versus A Whole New World) So I picked one shot I think is nice enough from the carpet ride :)
    [​IMG]

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!
    I went with the Genie Bee because that’s the most important line from the movie for me:
    Pin 31536 Disney Auctions - Film Quote Pin Set #1 (Genie) - Black Prototype
    [​IMG]

But Iconic Magic carpet ride picture is runner up:
    Pin 22944 Jasmine and Aladdin on a flying carpet
    [​IMG]

Stray thoughts:

I love how characters without actually talking can communicate – Abu and Carpet and Rajah. Carpet is very expressive with just his poses!

Those three girls remind me strongly of the Bimbettes when they are swooning over Prince Ali.

As a villain you simply have to have a servant with such great acting and voice imitating skills as Iago! :D

Bumped into this video How to draw Genie a few day ago and I have to share it:

I guess you all know that the Peddler at the beginning was originally intended to be revealed to be the Genie And that Robin Williams kind of marks the start of hiring celebrities for voice acting instead of trained voice actors for Disney.
    (In Hungary, stage actors did most of the roles, Jasmine and Aladdin having someone different for the singing parts - Aladdins singing voice was only 19 when he did it but comes from a family of opera singers and is actually a musical actor, Jasmines singing voice can also mostly seen in musicals – I’ve seen them both on stage in pieces like The Phantom of the Opera or Jekyll and Hyde)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    pincrazy likes this.
  22. unibear

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

Well, this is number 3 in the Disney Renaissance, and it’s going strong! Too bad “Lion King” will break the spell…

1. My overall impression of the movie… Several things:

First off, am I the only one that immediately cringes whenever a character in a movie says to a person helping them: “You’ll get what’s coming to you,” or “You shall have your reward”? I mean, it just feels like the person admitted that they will stab you in the back once you have helped them. Maybe I watch too much TV…

There are so many quotes from this movie that I use in my real life (mostly Genie and Iago quotes). For example, EVERY SINGLE TIME someone says “wit’s end”, I immediately hear Iago saying “BRAACK!! WIT’S END!”. Maybe it’s just me. Other quotes that I find myself using:
    • “Well, I feel sheepish!” (Genie)
    • “Let’s make some magic!” (Genie)
    • “Phenomenal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.” (Genie)
    • “That’s SULTAN vile betrayer, to you.” (Iago)
    • “Rickum, Rackum, Ruckam Rake. Stick that sword into that snake!” (Genie)
    • “Jafar, Jafar, he’ our man. If he can’t do it… GREAT!!” (Genie)

I love that the animators were able to give Magic Carpet personality and emotions even though he makes no sounds whatsoever. It shows the power of great animation!

I don’t tend to notice the whole “colors as emotions” thing, but the change from cool blues and shadows to the hot reds and oranges and yellows when Abu touches the forbidden treasure was pretty obvious and played to good effect. Before the change, the scene was cool and calm with Aladdin carefully approaching the lamp; after the change, the scene was dangerous and exciting with Aladdin, Abu, and Magic Carpet fighting for their lives.

2. (and 8.) I’m going to do two mini analyses of characters. The character I really wanted to analyze was Rajah, because he’s a cat (Cave of Wonders was a second choice, but he does even less…). Ultimately, there isn’t a lot of character development to Rajah. He appears to be Jasmine’s protector and only friend. Rajah is a tad overprotective when it comes to suitors (the first guy and then Prince Ali), but I think Jasmine (not so) secretly enjoys that; he also goes after Jafar (only to be made into kitten Rajah—THERE MUST BE PINS MADE OF BABY RAJAH!! NOW!!!) at the end of the movie to protect Jasmine. Rajah shows that he’s a good friend by helping Jasmine escape the palace walls (more later) even though he obviously wants her to stay in the safe palace and comforting her when she thinks street rat Aladdin has been killed by Jafar.

The other character I chose to look at was Iago. Iago is clearly a sidekick to Jafar but Iago is clearly more than just a mindless sidekick or extension of the villain. Ironically, he’s introduced as only talking in “parrot” and continues to the other non-Jafar characters until the end of the movie. You might dismiss Iago as simply a pet of Jafar’s, but soon he talks in full sentences and we see that he’s smart and calculating and a force to be reckoned with (much like Kaa in “Jungle Book” and to a lesser extent Joanna in “Rescuers Down Under”). Iago is basically making the best of his situation and working for Jafar because it furthers his “career” and gives him a life to which he has become accustomed. In later Aladdin films, Iago changes from Jafar’s colleague (villain) to Aladdin’s colleague (good guy?). It wasn’t really explained much but it was clear that Iago was doing what was best for Iago…

Iago also does a killer impersonation of both Jasmine and Jafar—it sounds just like the voice actors (yes, I know…).

3. and 4. The scene/song I chose to analyze was the lead up and follow through of “Friend Like Me”. The goal of this scene and song was to introduce Aladdin (and the audience) to the whole genie/wishes thing. But what it really does is introduce the audience to Robin Williams (as the Genie). Robin had a strong personality/reputation as a showman and he was uniquely qualified to serve as the voice of the Genie. I couldn’t imagine anyone else doing his voice (even though Dan Castellaneta—AKA Homer Simpson—did an adequate job of pretending to be Robin Williams pretending to be the Genie).

Robin Williams is known for his “manic” zaniness, celebrity impressions, and leaps of ideas from one non-sequitir to another (flights of fancy?). It’s his trademark style, and fits perfectly into an animated movie. The animators had a field day in turning Robin’s dialog into a stunning set of clips that made Genie “magical”! Any other voice actor could have done well, but Robin made it spectacular!! Especially when he did impersonations and the animators made Genie look like these celebrities (e.g., Señor Wences, Groucho Marx, and William F. Buckley in this scene). I PITY THE FOOL (see what I did there?) that gets cast as Genie in the inevitable live action remake of “Aladdin” that will be made any day now… Not a big fan of those movies, by and large.

“Friend Like Me” also introduced me to a new word in 1992: Nabob.

5. I symbol I chose to analyze was the palace walls since I was sure many people will discuss the lamp. The palace walls symbolize a lack of freedom. For Aladdin (and the townsfolk), they view the walls as keeping them out from the riches and wonderful-ness of the palace and its opulent wealth. For Jasmine, however, the palace walls keep her away from everyone else. Presumably this was done by the Sultan to protect Jasmine from general threats, but it left her feeling like a prisoner. Certainly, the animators showing Jasmine playing with a “bird in a gilded cage” and then releasing them was no accident. I suppose the palace walls (and their goal of separating the rich and poor) also serve as a metaphor for the social rules that separate the citizens into different classes. Still, I found it very telling that both Aladdin and Jasmine felt “trapped” in their respective lives—Aladdin felt trapped by his poverty and looked at palace life as being ideal, while Jasmine felt trapped by her riches and station and decided to escape into the city, assuming it would be more ideal than her “gilded cage.”

6. and 7. Again, I imagine others will talk about the whole judging people by their station or appearance (“Diamond in the Rough”), and that being born poor doesn’t mean that you’re worthless.

Instead, I decided to analyze Genie’s quote: “But remember, bee yourself” and several other related quotes listed below.
    [​IMG]

Much of Aladdin’s problem comes from not telling the truth and being himself. In part, Aladdin seems to get in trouble with Jasmine because he’s trying to act like he thinks a prince would act instead of just being himself. He’s not very good at reading Jasmine’s body language either, because she only seems to warm up to him when he IS being himself and not being who he thinks he SHOULD be. Jasmine catches him in a lie after the “Whole New World” carpet ride, and he half-admits the truth. He was the boy she met in the marketplace, but still clung to the lie of being a prince. She actually said, “Tell me the truth.” And “Why didn’t you just tell me?”

Genie seems to notice Jasmine’s views and advises Aladdin to “Tell her the… TRUTH!!”, although he doesn’t take that advice. After winning Jasmine’s favor, Aladdin refuses to free Genie because of the lie; Aladdin doesn’t think he has enough worth to Jasmine as the street rat Aladdin, so he has to keep Genie in servitude to protect his lie of being Prince Ali. Upon hearing this, Genie says, “After all, you’ve lied to everyone else. Hey, I was beginning to feel left out…” Ultimately, the whole Jafar as sultan/most powerful sorcerer/genie could have been avoided if Aladdin released Genie and told Jasmine and the Sultan the truth. To be fair, we don’t know if Jasmine would have accepted him after revealing his lie. Saving her, her father, and Agrabah from Jafar’s magic wishes probably endeared him to Jasmine and the Sultan and helped demonstrate his worth.

Aladdin does learn his lesson, comes clean (after being outed as a street rat by Sultan Jafar) and accepts his station in life by refusing to wish to be a prince and instead freeing the Genie. To the movie’s credit, the Sultan DOES make the rules and it is just that easy for the Sultan to allow Jasmine to marry Aladdin if the Sultan decided it was a good idea.

The movie effectively makes the point that you will be happiest when you are honest with others and ultimately with yourself.

8. This movie continues to build on the whole princess trope that “Little Mermaid” and “Beauty and the Beast” did, adding to it as well.

• “Aladdin” feels just as Broadway as “Beauty and the Beast”. I like this turn toward Disney musical theater and really enjoyed it here. But I don’t with “Lion King”… (more later).
    • Jasmine said something that I obviously heard in the past, but never paid much attention to until now: “If I do marry, I want it to be for love.” This is the first time I’ve heard a princess hint at never getting married! The older princess movies (before LM) have also implied that each prince/princess marriage was based on “true love” but this is the first movie to really say that it was the focus of the princess’s choice. Before LM, it seemed like the fatalistic view prevailed—sure it was true love, but Fate set the prince and princess together because it was true; or was it that it was true love because the prince and princess were going to be together. In this movie, the princess chose a commoner to be her husband because he was the right one, in spite of his not being a prince.
    • Aladdin, as a diamond in the rough, follows the trope of the scoundrel with a heart of gold (e.g., Tramp, Thomas O’Malley, Han Solo, Dodger, etc.).
    • The Sultan’s glass menagerie of animals feels like a nod to the future “I Just Can’t Wait to be King” song in “Lion King”.
    • Also, the three girls on the balcony during the “Prince Ali” seemed like brunette versions of the three blonde “bimbos” in “Beauty and the Beast”.

9. The scene that sticks in my head is the first kiss with Jasmine on the balcony and Aladdin floating on Magic Carpet.

[​IMG]

10. OK, I wanted a pin from the movie with Aladdin and Genie that looks like this but couldn’t find one except this one with Stitch (37820). So, I chose this pin (17699) from “Friend Like Me” to represent Genie and Aladdin’s friendship.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    MerlinEmrys and pincrazy like this.
  23. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I think she even encourages him to do that :)
    My sister and me sometimes talk in quotes and these are some we use, too (although we use the hun versions)
    I was thiniking very hard how to put thst, you nailed it!

Is'nt it astonishing how many similar ideas we had once more? :)

unibear likes this.
  24. unibear

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I know!! Even when I tried to pick less obvious answers or focus on "unique" things, we still end up saying the same thing!

Meritre likes this.
  25. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

1. Overall Impression
    It is exceptionally difficult for me to look at this film at all objectively. This one is super special to me and, despite my love for Merlin, is definitely my favorite Disney film. As a kid, I would act out scene from it (mostly “Never Had a Friend Like Me”) to an imaginary audience. I was a genie for Halloween at least twice after the film came out (not blue, but definitely inspired by Genie). When Robin Williams passed, I was crushed. When I can’t sleep at night, I mentally quote it from start to finish (usually I make it to about the dungeon scene before I pass out). So I’ve got a lot wrapped up in this movie, and it’s been with me through a lot.

But even after countless re-watches, quotings, and sing-alongs, this film is still magical to me. The entire atmosphere (set up from the “Arabian Nights” frame narrative, ala A Thousand and One Nights) has a special ability to transport me to this childhood space and…well, it’s just magical. XD I can’t find a better word for it. And that magic is so enduring for me. This will always be a high water mark for Disney for me. I know it has it’s racial issues (and later/future reincarnations are actively striving to amend that), but I won’t let that tarnish the heart of the film for me. <3

2. Character Analysis
    There’s not enough space for me to gush about how much I love Genie (though I’ll talk about him some shortly). But something I noticed this time was about Jafar and his character design. More often than not, when a character is talking, if you don’t see all of their teeth at once, you see just their top teeth behind their lip. It’s a natural way to present movement and dialog. But with Jafar, you frequently only see his bottom teeth:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

When you do see both of his teeth, it’s often clenched and they’re so…unnaturally straight and stark. But that underbite is so strange! It’s a subtle thing that sets him apart from the other characters. Certainly, he will show just his top teeth, and the others will sometimes show just their bottom, but watch some of his major scenes and you’ll see that it’s overwhelmingly the opposite. Now what does this mean? Who knows. It could be feeding into his “underhanded” personality, or making him more “grotesque” and thus less relatable/likable. At the very least, it’s not something I had noticed before, or in other films. So I wonder how other villains may perhaps physically manifest their villainy like this…

3. Scene Analysis
    Most of the Sultan’s scenes are basically throw-away, and he’s a fluff character to be sure. But his early interactions with Jasmine, and specifically the birdcage in her garden, demonstrates an interesting difference of opinions between him and his daughter. Jasmine very much feels trapped—but the Sultan thinks he is protecting her. This dynamic is played out on the birds. Jasmine is petting her little (dove?) and then the Sultan comes behind her, takes the bird, and puts it back in its cage, closing the door gently and tenderly. With this, he says, “I just want to be sure you’re being taken care of. Provided for.” That’s how he sees that cage: it protects the birds and provides them with shelter, allows them to be taken care of. Jasmine, of course, sees it as a cage, as is evident when she turns and releases the birds (dramatically).

The Sultan’s buffoon nature keeps us from really connecting with him, so we are more likely to take Jasmine’s side (similarly with King Triton, who was overly sinister at points). But in all actuality, those bird were being protected and cared for, and that’s not a bad thing. The tenderness with which the Sultan closes that door reflects how his “containing” his daughter is done out of love. I’m not sure where exactly I fall on the fence here, but these scene does a lot to set up the Sultan’s character, when in all honestly he doesn’t get a whole lot of development.

6. Dialog Analysis
    I think the core of this film is about honesty and being truthful (with yourself and others) and how that’s a freeing concept (more on that in a second). So Bee Genie’s line is the obvious anthem to that:

[​IMG]

But what’s kind of interesting is that Genie’s entire persona is all about not being himself? He transforms his body constantly and, in fact, is a lot of other real famous people. From Schwarzenegger to Jack Nicholson. Obviously, that particular character trait comes mostly out of Robin Williams’s impersonations and adlib. But I thought it was a nifty thought that the person who adamantly claims that being oneself is the best course of action is constantly not himself. Not sure what to do with that, but it was neat. XD

7. Overall Goal
    A major theme for this film is definitely freedom. Of course, I had always just chalked that theme up to Genie (“I’m free…” AND I’M CRYING!!), but almost every character is “trapped” in some way in this film! Aladdin is trapped by his socio-economic standing, Jasmine is literally trapped in the walls of the palace and under a law she doesn’t find fair, the Sultan is trapped under Jafar’s brainwashing. There’s a lot of images of confinement (“itty bitty living space!”) and slavery (Jafar: “You do what I order you to do, slave.”)

But ultimately, these characters are all set free, in one way or another. Which makes that the ultimate heart of the film for me.

9. Iconic Shot
    Yeah yeah, whatever. Balcony scene. Blah blah. Whole New World. ;P Nah, this movie is all about Genie ;P

[​IMG]

The flash, the show stopper, the magic. This is what I remember from this movie <3

(runners up include Genie and Aladdin’s hug after he’s free, and also the Group Hug at the end)

10. Representative Pin
    This is tough for me because on the one hand, a ton of Genie pins would represent the film for me, but that’s not necessarily the film as a whole. So I’ll just toss two out there and see what sticks:

[​IMG]
    Pin 37216 Disney Auctions (P.I.N.S.) - Aladdin Cast

This one has the whole gang, plus the whimsy of Genie reaching out for the selfie.

Runner up would be the recent Group Hug pin:

[​IMG]
    Pin 124996 Aladdin 25th Anniversary Collection - Genie Hug

*Stray thoughts*
    --Carpet is Wingman of the century.

--Dream Fantasy Pins:

Hinged pin with Jafar squished behind the door:
    [​IMG]

Spinner pin with Genie and the chalkboard
    [​IMG]

2019 Graduation pin:
    [​IMG]

Iago as a flamingo

Meritre, PixiePost and coblj003 like this.