The Disney 52 Animated Challenge: Year-Long Activity - NOW PLAYING: Princess and the Frog

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by MerlinEmrys, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

"Tisztára birka vagyok!" - I'm totally a sheep (It's hilariuos how in the next sentences the typical sheep call is built in)
    "És most jöjjön a mágia!" - And now magic should come!
    "Fenomenális, kozmikus erő - egy ici-pici kis helyen." Phenomenal cosmic power, in an itty bitty space.
    "Ő a szultán és te vagy az áruló!" - He's the Sultan and you are the betrayer
    "Ingyom-bingyom behemót, vágjad már a nagy kígyót" - Rickum, Rackum behemoth, cut the big snake already! (The first two words are actually from a child song without any meaning so I just went and used the original ones :) )
    "Jafar szurkolok, de ha nem megy, úgy a jobb!" - Jafar, I'm cheering for you but if you can't do it - that's the better case!

I'm sorry I just had to do that one
    I love Genie cheering :)

Yes it's so magical even after all the years.
    (I got to the dungeon part of the game - it's still running on my computer I can hardly believe it.)

[​IMG]
    Art by David Kawena

I thought that this constant changing is what's really him - so in this sense, he is himself. :)
    That's really interesting, great catch!
    I just noticed with this watch that Genie comes in later than I remember.

I think that's all for now :) (more than enough)

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  2. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Just woke up, time to hurry with Analysis...

pincrazy likes this.
  3. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

I made it. ...just finished watching, YAY

Ok 4th WOW! What a renaissance!
    I'm guessing I haven't seen this for awhile cause I didn't remember most of it. As the movie opened, I didn't realize how much I missed Robin Williams' talent, there was a melancholy feeling of loss.
    Here we go, before I get blocked, I hear Merlin thinking it's time to close-
    1) Overall-I really enjoyed it and surprised that I hadn't watched it more often! It had all the classic Disney points, princess, prince, love, music, villain, challenge, and happily ever after...what nade this different was the amount of comedy/slap stick/intelligence. ....Robin Williams!
    2) Aladdin is the character, the underdog, and easiest for me to relate with. He uses his wit, and survives with good intentions. He sees life as what he's dealt with, and handles bad decisions as a lesson to try to be better.
    3) The icon scene other than cave of wonders escape is the sequence during the song A Whole New World! It's beautifully animated and creates the imagery and wonder when you find love!
    4) So of course the song to most appreciate is A Whole New World! It has the innocence and exuberance of falling in love, when being with the ONE is discovering, seeing everything New, and feeling alive/hopeful!
    But in the special features is a song that was cut due to change of storyline, and if I could have I would have picked it instead. The song's title is "Proud of Your Boy". It's explains the struggle of how Aladdin, or any child for that matter, /strives/wants approval/acceptance of their parent, and hopes to make them proud! The lyrics and music are so touching and beautifully expressed!
    An homage to Howard Ashman, apparently he wrote this song with Alan Menken for the movie, with his Mom in thought
    10) Again a movie with a bunch of pins! There are so many of them as characters , but the closest for me would be #33741. And one that I enjoyed but is not in the movie is #37216.

Whew, 5 in for me this week. Till next week TTFN :stitch::p

4. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

1. While not my favorite movie from the Renaissance period, I do enjoy Aladdin. A large part of my enjoyment comes from the KILLER job Robin Williams did with Genie.

This is Disney's first attempt at a Disney Prince movie (ok, Bambi was a prince...but I mean Disney Prince in the same realm as the human Disney Princesses.). Of course Jasmine is part of the Princess lineup, but this is ultimately Aladdin's story.

This is also one of the first films I can remember that specifically talks to the audience AS AN AUDIENCE, not just as a quick glance. The Peddler narrates to us, and even goes so far as to have the camera zoom in to squish his face. This fourth wall break at the very start of the film tells us that this movie stands apart from the others. It's like the Peddler is actively telling us the story of Aladdin rather than movies such as Little Mermaid where we are just observing the story. (Speaking of Disney confirming the Peddler being Genie - I have always assumed they *were* the same character. They are the only two characters where Robin does their voice, and he is in possession of the lamp. So it surprised me when Disney had to confirm it and people were surprised.)

4. In my Beauty and the Beast analysis, I talked about how Gaston differed from previous villains songs. Similarly, Jafar's villain song, Prince Ali (Reprise), also strayed from the usual formula. Of note, it's not a standalone song. It's a reprise of Prince Ali's hero song. (Interestingly, while Gaston was all about praising the villain's physical attributes, Prince Ali was all about doing the same but to the hero of this story.) By using Prince Ali as the basis of this song, Jafar is able to take Aladdin's original introduction to Jasmine and Sultan and unmask Aladdin's disguise to reveal his true self to Jasmine and the Sultan.

Also of note - while this is the villain's song, none of the song was actually devoted to Jafar. It was all about Aladdin. To me, this shows that people have multiple sides - both the "hero" song and the "villain" song were about Aladdin.

5. The use of tigers in this film stand out to me. Tigers are usually viewed as one of the most formidable predators for humans, and have largely been villains in Disney movies up to this point, like with Shere Khan and Mim. In this film, though, most of the references to tigers are in a positive, protective capacity. Rajah is Jasmine's main protector and best friend, and is generally friendly unless Jasmine is in danger. The Carpet is also decorated with tigers, and protects Aladdin and others from death multiple times. The mouth of the Cave of Wonders is a tiger's head, and the cave serves to protect the power of the lamp from those who are unworthy to wield it (hence only allowing the Diamond in the Rough to enter, and punishing anyone greedy enough to be tempted by treasure).

9. While Genie is the most memorable character in the film, the most memorable scene for me will always be A Whole New World, with Aladdin and Jasmine flying high above the world and to the different countries. It juxtaposes the magic of the flying carpet and Aladdin's wish to be a prince with the magic of nature and the world as a whole.

[​IMG]

10. There are surprisingly few pins of A Whole New World. While this pin features Mickey and Minnie instead of Aladdin and Jasmine themselves, it does convey the rush of flying on Carpet.

[​IMG]
    Pin# 61537 - Mickey and Minnie as Disney Couples - Aladdin and Jasmine

Random Thoughts

~ There is a wonderful documentary called Life Animated" about a young man with autism, Owen Suskind, who comes out of his shell because of Disney characters. The character he is most connected to is Iago. I suggest a watch if you haven't seen it yet - it really shows the power of movies and how we connect to others through them.

~ What happened to Gazeem after the Cave of Wonders closed on him? Did the Cave eat him? Was he killed by the crush of sand? Is he still alive and wandering the cave until he finds his way out?

~ When the guards capture Aladdin and Jasmine orders them to release him, Razoul says he can't since his orders come from Jafar. Does that mean the Royal Vizier outranks the Princess? I'd think the daughter of the Sultan would be highest in rank under the Sultan himself.

~ One little detail I noticed this time around is that when Aladdin and Genie are in the cave, and Genie says "So why don't you just ruminate whilst I illuminate the possibilities," Genie actually is physically illuminated (much more than his usual glow).

[​IMG]

pincrazy and MerlinEmrys like this.
  5. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Now we are up to Numero Tres in the Disney Rennaissance, which continues with the Broadway style theme. This is the first film I remember watching in theatres, which was at the Drive-in across from my old house in San Diego, very awesome and very inpressionable to me as a kid.
    [​IMG]
    1. Overall Impression,
    This film was just a great as it was I remember, though some of the controversial instances of stereotyping and cultural appropriation clearly stood out. The music was clearly one of the important factors of this film and the use of the CAPs system continued to make this film stand out from it's predecessors in a great way. When Disney was remaking the rennaissance movies in 3D, I thought this was the one deserving to be remade but at least we have the philharmonic as a proof of concept. As for Star studded casting, Robin William's role as the genie an clearly stole the show, I don't think I can ever watch this film the same way again after his death; I also don't know what to think about the live action movie coming outOn another note, I wonder if Disney still uses Gilbert Gottfried's role as Iago after he was ostracized after his racist social media posts; I know that Disney scrubbed the tiki Room back to it's original inception but wonder if that had a role in that.

2. Character Analysis
    Aladdin is the diamond in the rough, clearly a good character with a heart of gold that has to make due life has given him. His want to hide his true self from Jasmine rather then let her know about his true self speaks about the somewhat normal nature that a person may use to hide behind a persona that they choose to front for others. while I knew Lea Salonga was the singing voice for Linda Larkin's Jasmine, I didn't know that his voice actor was different from his singing voice. His character design of his street rat garb screams prince of Persia to me, especially considering his use of swords later.

8. Progressions
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The movie seems to pay reverence to Fantasia, especially the chernabog sequence. Along with sharing poses. Both the Genie and Jafar share poses with Chernabog while the genie even summons harem dancers out of flames similar to the villain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Iconic Scene
    [​IMG]
    I think the whole new world sequence is probably what makes this movie, if there is nothing else viewers remember about this film you know that Aladdin and princess Jasmine share a date on a a magical flying carpet. That said, I love the natural view of the moon in the backdrop.

10. Representative pin
    Pin 123725 DS Europe - Aladdin 25th Anniversary
    [​IMG]
    I think this pin that represents the Carpet sequence well. Is it wierd but Jasmine's pose kinda reminds me Princess Leia from of the Original Star Wars poster. As it is one of the more recent pins from last year, I may go ahead and try to find it.

6. unibear

unibear DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

Regarding the change to the Enchanted Tiki Room, I asked a worker after it was changed why that happened. They told me that there was a fire in the ETR and that damaged some of the animatronics (Iago or Zazu?). That was the reason they removed them. Or so I was told...

It was a major bummer for me because I really enjoyed the Iago/Zazu story. Every time I go in to the new (old) version, I literally fall asleep. I stopped going because I felt self conscious falling asleep in the show (and hoped I didn't snore!).

coblj003 likes this.
  7. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Yep, there was a fire in January 2011. I remember, because it was a week before my first trip to WDW, and I really wanted to go see it since Tiki Room is one of my favorite attractions and Under New Management included Zazu, but it was closed for refurbishment to repair the damage.

coblj003 likes this.
  8. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

These analyses were killer this week! <3 Loved them all!

@unibear, you mentioned you "pity the fool" who gets cast as live action Genie XD. Well, it's Will Smith. Cathleen Taff (a Disney exec) describes Smith’s performance as “a little ‘Fresh Prince,’ a little ‘Hitch,’ and a whole lot of attitude.” The producers have said several times that they are not going in a Robin Williams direction with the character. Whether that's a smart decision or not, only time will tell. I'm incredibly apprehensive about this movie... But I'll give it a shot...

9. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

[​IMG]
    Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Monday/Tuesday is our "wrap-up" discussion on Aladdin. So you're welcome to respond to other analyses throughout the day.

However, you may not post any more full analyses for Aladdin to count for completion toward the 52 Challenge. No late homework. ;P

~Merlin

10. NutMeg

NutMeg The Nefarious N.M.G.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

[​IMG]

Ok, so I know I'm breaking the rules super hard right now, and I know I can't get credit for this, which is totally fine, but I seriously spent way too much friggin' time writing my Aladdin analysis to let it go to waste. My wifi has been down since Sunday, so I've been using my phone in the meantime, but obviously there are limitations with it - I'm SO behind on Bingo drawings, holy crap. >.< I couldn't update the cards from my phone, or post this since it was saved on my laptop. (I am SO glad I type these things out on Word first!!!!)

So anyway, I think my wifi is (temporarily) fixed, and since no one has moved on to TNBC yet, I feel like I can sneak one more Aladdin post in without ruining the flow and organization of the thread. So I'm just gonna quiiiiiieeetly slide this under the professor's door, shhh, just pretend I'm not even here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1.) Overall Impression:

Yeah, there's a reason this movie is such a fan favorite. It features some of Disney's most lovable and memorable characters, animation to rival the most lavish show on the Vegas strip, the best Disney love song to date (suck it, Tangled), and a performance from every 90s kid's comedy hero, Robin Williams (RIP </3). It was also a pretty big change of pace for Disney as far as their animated musicals went. Although it adheres to the Broadway format created by Ashman and Menken, is inspired by a classic folk tale, and features animal sidekicks and a princess, the overall tone of the film differs greatly from its predecessors.

Aladdin is much more rooted in the action/adventure genre than The Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, or any of the Walt-era musicals, and has a less "timeless" quality to it, largely due to its modernized brand of comedy. Many of the Genie's rapid-fire pop culture references and celebrity impressions are well past their expiration dates by now, and in the hands of a lesser comedian (and lesser animators), this movie would probably feel like an early 90s time capsule. But Robin Williams delivers every joke with such infectious joy and childlike enthusiasm that even the stalest references feel fresh. He had a spark that lit up the screen, even in animated form. And the animators themselves deserve just as much credit for pairing his ad-libs with creative and brilliantly timed visuals, which succeed in making the Genie feel like a real character rather than a recording of a Williams comedy special.

But a film still can't skate by on impressive animation and Robin Williams alone - FernGully is proof of that. I mean, it was released the very same year, starred a wisecracking Williams, AND had a villain song performed by Tim freakin' Curry (who inexplicably was never cast as a Disney villain - a failure of epic proportions.) Yet it still doesn't measure up to Aladdin. I think the film's enduring legacy has a lot to do with its script, which is exceptionally well-structured. Yes, there are plot holes/contrivances, and yes, the reckless abandon with which it samples every culture on the map between Egypt and India is pretty cringe-worthy, but in terms of pure story, this is gold standard Disney. The pacing is smart, the tone is consistent, the emotional and real-world stakes are high, plot and theme are elegantly intertwined, it's dotted with clever callbacks that help maintain an emotional through line ("do you trust me?" <3), and the message is poignant and universal. Furthermore, this might feature Disney's strongest character arc - at least insofar as their musicals go. (Pixar really upped the game on character studies...) But more on that later.

(cont.)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  11. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

2.) Character Analysis / 8.) Film Connections/Progressions:

(I wanted to examine Jasmine's role in the film as well as the larger Disney princess canon, and it's easier to group it into one tangent rather than actually organizing my thoughts.)

Ok, I obviously can’t analyze this movie without looking at its gender politics, since I’ve pretty much taken it upon myself to be the resident arbitrator of how feminist any given Disney movie is. It's just my job now. I'm the Disney Feminism Police. I'm making business cards. So let’s talk Jasmine.

[​IMG]

I... like her a lot, actually. For most of the film’s duration, I honestly think her character improves significantly on all of the princesses before her - yes, even Belle, who I love. She and Ariel both want "more," a vague concept that is nevertheless an improvement on the original princesses' romance-based wishes. However, these ill-defined desires are never truly explored after the initial "I Want" songs (and in Ariel's case, they become overshadowed by... yup, romance-based wishes.) This is particularly disappointing when it comes to Belle - not just because she's the only one not swooning over a guy, but because the film spends so much time setting up her inner conflict. The movie promises a character arc for her that it never makes good on. Once we get to the castle, it becomes the Beast's story, and while Belle does get to be a proactive player in it, her previously established existential crisis becomes irrelevant.

Jasmine's arc definitely peters out at the end, but her character is still much more introspective than any of the princesses before her. She struggles with internal conflicts - feeling trapped by her social status, longing to experience the world, and vying for the freedom to marry for love rather than politics. She also exercises agency to try to resolve these conflicts - snubbing her prospective suitors (and even Aladdin at first), escaping the palace to explore the city, standing up to the guards, and defying Jafar (although more on that later.)

She even acts in her own brazen self-interest, and unapologetically at that, which is a pretty big deal. Up until this point, Disney was obsessed with the "nobility of the suffering" when it came to their female heroines. With the original princesses especially, accepting dismal situations with a brave face was always depicted as virtuous and ultimately worthy of reward, specifically through a man (this is especially true for Cinderella.) Staying positive in the face of adversity is certainly a worthwhile lesson, but when it's the only one being taught to young women, it's extremely unhealthy; it only serves to reinforce the long-held belief that it's a woman's lot in life to suffer, to do as she's told, and remain pleasant and agreeable through it all. Jasmine certainly never follows those rules. She refuses to be a victim, and is defiant toward every single man in the movie - her father, her suitors, Jafar, the guards, and again, even Aladdin. True, Ariel was the first to disobey her father and run away from home, but her motivation was still to get a guy. Jasmine hadn't even met her love interest before running off.

Having said all that, I still have to charge this film with two pretty major Disney Feminism Police crimes. First of all, as I mentioned before, her promising storyline eventually peters out at the end. She strives throughout to determine her own fate, yet doesn't get to have a hand in her own resolution. Instead, just like in The Little Mermaid, her dad swoops in to save the day. But unlike The Little Mermaid, this moment is completely unearned and out of nowhere. At least in The Little Mermaid, King Triton experiences his own character arc. He starts off as an overprotective and controlling father who can't let go of his little girl, but eventually becomes a more evolved man who finally learns to let her make her own choices (however dumb they may be...) But the Sultan suddenly deciding out of the blue, with no lead-up whatsoever, to also let his daughter make her own choices - specifically, the choice to marry Aladdin - is pretty much a huge slap in the face to the audience, and more than that, to his daughter. He's just NOW utilizing this option??? He had the ability to simply change the law all along, but instead he just let his only child feel miserable and objectified? In addition to rendering the Sultan as a self-centered jerk, this also provides a much too tidy and convenient solution to the film's main conflict. I guess you could argue that because the Sultan was under Jafar's mind control, he was unable to make his own decisions for most of the film, but that's a HUGE plot point to leave entirely to subtext and ask your audience to infer on their own.

And then, of course, there's the infamous seduction scene...

[​IMG]

God, I can't even look at that gif; I have to scroll down while I'm typing this. Even as a kid, this scene always made me super uncomfortable. It's just all kinds of messed up. First of all, Jafar is one of the last Disney characters you ever want to see in any sort of sexual context. He's also over twice Jasmine's age at least and has probably known her since she was a little kid, soooo yeah, that's weird. And on top of everything, he's one of the most queer-coded of Disney's stereotypical "sissy villains." There's the vaguely English lilt to his voice, the super thin mustache/preened facial hair, the fact that he's the only male character wearing a "robe" (see: dress), and the oddly under-discussed winged eyeliner. Seriously, his makeup is thicker than Jasmine's. And are those his natural eyelids, or is that a cut crease...?

[​IMG]

Oh, and there's also the awkward sexual tension he projects toward the young, muscular, half-naked man in an open vest that he obsessively pursues throughout the film.

[​IMG]

So yeah, I've never been sold on the supposed attraction Jafar harbors for Jasmine. It almost feels like he wishes for her to fall in love with him purely out of spite. Like it's just a punishment for her defiance. It doesn't feel like either person is into it, which makes the scene even MORE uncomfortable to watch.

But mostly, the "slave Jasmine" scene is just super sad and disappointing because it reduces her to a sex object. It feels like a huge betrayal on the part of the filmmakers of everything she stood for. I mean, 40 minutes ago she was all...

[​IMG]

And after all that self-empowerment, she's still reduced to sexy bait for Jafar while Aladdin plays the hero. I don't even care that he gets to swoop in and save her... I mean, I do think the original plan for the scene was way cooler - according to IMDb, "when Jasmine was trapped in the hourglass, she was supposed to use the jewel in her headpiece to cut herself free, but this was changed to a last-minute rescue by Aladdin." That's just so damn creative and badass, it's seriously a shame they dropped the idea. But it's perfectly fine for men to be the heroes and rescue the princesses sometimes, as long as there are also stories where women are heroes to balance things out, and as long as the said princesses being rescued aren't one-dimensional props that reinforce harmful stereotypes. And that's exactly what this scene does. It's super gross that after all her previous shows of strength and empowerment, Jasmine's most valuable power ends up being her sexuality. What's more, it promotes one of the worst misogynist beliefs - that women can and will weaponize sex to manipulate men for their own advantage.

Oh, and even though Jasmine ostensibly makes the decision to pull this move on Jafar herself, that still doesn't make it consensual. I mean, he literally had her on a chain 30 seconds earlier. That would be uncomfortable enough in an R-rated movie, and it def feels completely inappropriate for a G rating.

Anyway, having said all that... girl can rock a high ponytail. Eat your heart out, Ariana Grande.

(cont.)

12. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

7.) Overall Goal:

Even though Jasmine's storyline leaves much to be desired, like I said in the intro, this film easily boasts one of Disney's most well-executed character arcs. Aladdin's evolution from an insecure and superficial "street rat" to a selfless hero is graceful, focused, and believable. It's also rather nuanced for a children's film, delivering an effective lesson about self-acceptance and honesty that's mature enough to resonate with adults as well. It's not preachy and smug with its message, and it doesn't bash you over the head with heavy-handed, after-school special metaphors, like Pocahontas or Zootopia (*braces for impact from Zootopia fans.*) The key to this, in my opinion, is the fact that the filmmakers weren't afraid to make Aladdin a little unlikable at times.

In order to actually cultivate a character arc for your protagonist, you have to instill them with tangible flaws; they need room to grow, a lesson to learn, a goal to work towards. (Of course, an arc can also move in the opposite direction, with a character succumbing to their flaws and changing for the worse. But that's probably not a super great artistic vision for a kids movie.) Obviously, the character needs to be redeeming enough that you still root for them, but you also need to root for them to change.

It's a tricky balancing act that Disney hasn't always excelled at; their films tend to be plot-driven rather than character-driven, so they usually go with super broad emotional themes, like "following your heart." Additionally, in their efforts to maintain a wholesome and inoffensive image, they sometimes make their protagonists far too squeaky-clean to provide any profound inner growth. (What was Tiana's big flaw again? That she was working TOO hard to achieve her dream...?) The most relevant example is definitely Hercules, which tries soooo hard to mimic Aladdin's emotional story beats. I mean, I obviously LOVE Hercules - it's my second favorite Disney film of all time - but I love it in spite of its many, many flaws. Honestly, it's a hot mess of a movie that manages to succeed on pure charm alone. But I'll get into that more during Hercules week. My point right now is how Hercules' character arc (or lack thereof) compares to Aladdin's. Both start out in similar places emotionally: lonely, misunderstood, and struggling to be accepted. Herc looks for acceptance with the gods by becoming a professional hero, which the film precariously establishes as something akin to a celebrity athlete, complete with lucrative endorsement deals and hoards of screaming fans. There's an obvious parallel here between Herc's stardom and Al's princedom. You can sense that the film is straining to make a similar point as Aladdin's about the ultimately hollow and meaningless nature of status/wealth/fame. But the thing is that plot-wise, Herc's rise to the top actually is meaningless. It doesn't change who he is. He never really loses his moral compass, never betrays his friends for self-gain, and never tries to impress anyone with superficial flashiness, like Aladdin. From the very beginning, Herc is just a sweet, naive farm boy. He may be motivated by his own interests, but he still selflessly risks his life for others on numerous occasions, especially when he fights the cyclops despite losing his strength and knowing he stands little chance of survival. So the fact that he needed to sacrifice himself *specifically for Meg* to become a "true" hero ends up feeling kind of arbitrary. While those final scenes always stir up my emotions, it doesn't really earn that reaction.

(Side note: how cool is the crossover episode of the Hercules/Aladdin TV shows???)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

By contrast, Aladdin is a flawed character who sometimes acts selfishly, and whose choices end up hurting the people he cares about. He has a valuable lesson to learn, and a compelling inner journey to take. Don't get me wrong - he's certainly charming and likable, which is the whole reason we want to see him change. The film really plays up the underdog element, and quickly establishes a sympathetic groundwork for his character - he's presumably an orphan, a social pariah, and lives in squalor. He only steals for survival, and even then, he's presented as a bit of a Robin Hood figure; after risking his life to scavenge a single loaf of bread, he ends up giving his only food away to starving children instead. Shortly after, he jumps in front of a cracking whip to spare the same children. (In screenwriting we sometimes call this a "Save the Cat" moment; something a character does early on to endear themselves to the audience, most easily accomplished by a display of kindness toward animals or kids.) Al really only begins to test our loyalty when he turns up the macho bravado and tries to run game on Jasmine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still, our feelings toward him are rooted in pity, not disdain; we know his overcompensation is coming from a place of insecurity and vulnerability. And more importantly, we know that his feelings for Jasmine are genuine, and we want them to be together. For an animated couple, these two have great chemistry. Heck, they have better chemistry than a lot of live-action movie couples. Once again, I think the script deserves a lot of credit. Both characters are fleshed out with their own unique personalities, and their relationship develops realistically over time. Their story feels much more natural than most of Disney's previous romances; while there's certainly an immediate connection between the two, they don't just meet, dance, and decide to live happily ever after. Jasmine even shoots him down at first! They argue, have misunderstandings, and get to know each other. Their love is earned. And thematically, the characters complement each other perfectly. Their wants and needs are mirrored. They both feel trapped and isolated by their social status, albeit in opposite ways. In the end, they both give each other what they're looking for - for him, acceptance, and for her, freedom of choice.

The one big screw-up where we actually hate Aladdin for a hot sec is obviously when he betrays the Genie by going back on his promise to free him. Instead, he decides to hold onto that last wish for a rainy day, keeping the Genie as his prisoner for the foreseeable future (awkward) and ensuring that he'll stay enslaved by other masters afterward, probably until the end of time. I think we all pretty much have the same reaction to this scene...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But if he hadn't originally gone back on his word, the moment where he finally does free the Genie wouldn't be nearly as profound and moving. That's what creates such a carthartic payoff.

[​IMG]

(K, time to wrap this up so I can go sob into some ice cream.)

10.) Best Pin:

There are prettier Aladdin pins out there, but my personal favorite would have to be 59137. Like I said, Aladdin and Jasmine are such a great couple, and I def think they share the best kiss in Disney history. What makes it so great is that it's more than just "the obligatory Disney kiss." It's a unique and memorable moment in a creative setting (midair!) that reflects where they are in their relationship. Aladdin is still a little awkward and unsure of himself and needs a nudge to make a move, and when their lips lock there's that moment of first kiss jitters, but then the sparks fly. So yeah, it's a classic moment that makes for an awesome pin. And the coolest part is that Aladdin slides up and down!

[​IMG]

Honorable mention goes to 125803, the DSF anniversary pin that came out last year. I'm kind of over circular pins right now due to severe Profile fatigue, but this one is really nice. Unlike a lot of pins nowadays, the artwork is extremely well done, and their faces actually look like they do in the movie. xP Sometimes extra elements can feel a little tacked-on and unnecessary, like they're just there to be there, but the 3D really makes the characters pop against the background here. And the little "25" written in the stars is a super cute touch.

[​IMG]

Stray thoughts...

• So do apples actually symbolize anything here, or are they just easy to animate...? I feel like it's the latter, but the minor bookends of Jasmine handing over apples (first to the kid in the marketplace, then to Jafar) are kinda interesting. But I also just really love that kind of cinematic symmetry. xD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • When I was looking up gifs for this post, I found two different versions of the Genie hugging Aladdin - one where he's crying, and one where he's not. So weird!!! Did they add the tears in a re-release/for the home video??? Were they not in the original version?? Or were they removed at some point?? I'm pretty sure he was crying in the DVD I own. Did someone just edit them out for this gif??? But why would someone go through the trouble of doing that??? I MUST KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS PUZZLE!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

raikipins, Tokaji, timeerkat and 2 others like this.
  13. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

First: Yay, something to read for me! *helps sneak in post and not ruin flow and uses it to sneak in some thoughts that came later*
    My brother spent considerable time during this watch to figure out how old Jafar is. He came to the conclusion that he is in his late fifties, almost sixty.

I interpreted them as a symbol of the relationship between street rat and princess. And I forgot the Jafar biting in the apple part - but it fits perfectly as he just tried to completely ruin this relationship (not for the first time)

Another crossover for you :D
    [​IMG]
    Art by The-Ez
    Please see the artist's description to the picture: Wrong Prince

Ten thoudsand years and third century - Genie is a bit generous with handling time :)) but I wonder when Aladdin actually takes place.

Now I get some Romeo an Juliet vibes from that :D

I read that that idea was later dropped and thought it was a pity. Also in the hungarian dub Peddler and Genie are voiced by two different people :) They have similar voices though.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    NutMeg, MerlinEmrys and coblj003 like this.
  14. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I may be over analyzing, but it might be a reference to the Arabian nights tale, the three apples. Coincidentally the vizeer Jaafar, must find out the killer of a young woman or risk being executed in three days time...

As for the latter, the 2nd gif looks heavily saturated/random artifacts so the tears may have been removed unintentionally(or intentionally) if the person was touching up each frame using the photoshop wand pen.

NutMeg and MerlinEmrys like this.
  15. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

Even if you don't get credit, I'm glad you posted it as I enjoyed reading it. Thanks!

NutMeg and MerlinEmrys like this.
  16. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

Dayum, @NutMeg. What a freaking good post....

The deep, dark, secret reason behind my wanting to do this challenge in the first place is to get an handle on other opinions on the films because I'm trying to get a Disney class off the ground at my college.

I had decided that Aladdin was probably not going to make the cut for the syllabus (too close to home), but I think your argument has changed my mind.

I look forward to Zootopia, because that's a standard in my class ;P

And, as a general addition, everyone's posts have been superb. I am adoring reading everyone's posts, even when I don't have time to comments or respond. But everyone's readings are so good. We are more than halfway through and this has turned out so much better than I could have hoped <3 all of you rock!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

NutMeg and pretty Omi like this.
  17. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Do you still have your one "get out of tardiness free" card? That was a wonderful analysis, thank you for sharing!

NutMeg likes this.
  18. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Even if not maybe we could have a tribal vote, I agree that was a great one.

NutMeg and timeerkat like this.
  19. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

I believe she used one for Alice.

But since no one has done the NBC post, I will allow for a motion to be passed.

Cobl has put forward a motion for the analysis to count. Do I hear a second?

NutMeg likes this.
  20. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Yes, over here :)

NutMeg and coblj003 like this.
  21. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

We have a second. Do I hear a third to pass the motion?

22. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Do I count? Because as someone who HATES typing on a phone, I must say there is no way NutMeg could have produced such quality analysis without functional wifi. It's not like "the dog ate her homework" and she scrambled to slap something together after the bell rang. Girl did the work. Girl had an extenuating circumstance. Girl should get the credit.

If I don't count, I'll go mind my beeswax now ... :D

NutMeg, coblj003 and timeerkat like this.
  23. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

Sounds like a third to me! Motion passes!

[​IMG]

The analysis counts!

24. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

I know a fourth isn't required, but I fourth the motion anyway. ;)

And also, YAY PERD HAPLEY!

NutMeg, coblj003 and MerlinEmrys like this.
  25. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Awww, you guys!! <3

[​IMG]

Also, so glad there are fellow Perdverts here. :D

[​IMG]

Me in your Disney class:

[​IMG]

Because you don't trust yourself not to automatically fail the students who aren't Aladdin fans? xD I definitely think it would be great to include on the syllabus, and there are a lot of other talking points I could suggest, but obviously there are just so many movies to choose from that you'll have to make some difficult cuts regardless! Although for the movies you have to skip, you could assign them as at-home viewings, or just show key scenes in class to cover the basics. I love video editing and have professional software, so if you need anyone to compile montages, I'm your gal. (Need a TA? :p)

Me during Zootopia week:

[​IMG]