The Disney 52 Animated Challenge: Year-Long Activity - NOW PLAYING: Princess and the Frog

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by MerlinEmrys, Dec 15, 2017.

1. unibear

unibear DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

OK, this is going to be a short one. If I didn’t know better, I never would have thought this was a Disney movie. It’s just so blah. I never thought I’d see a movie that would make me appreciate “Ice Age”!

1. and 3. My overall impression of the movie… Several things:

As I said above, this movie just doesn’t seem to have much “Disney magic” for me. It does feel like it was an excuse to use CGI and is often the case with new technology, it appears that the writers were more focused on showing the newest “bells and whistles” of the technology instead of trying to focus on writing a decent plot. It is odd that “Jurassic Park” came out in 1993 but it had better graphics (and plot) and more believable characters than this movie done in 2000. And the carnataurs (sp?), the Tyrannosaurus wannabes, just look ridiculous with their horns.

[​IMG]

I know this is a movie about talking dinosaurs and lemurs, so I shouldn’t be expecting too much “realism”, but I still had major issues with plotlines that you could drive a Mack truck (or a dinosaur) through. The scene I decided to analyze was the meteor storm that started the “dinosaur trek” plot that was the whole goal of the movie.

For one, the level of damage caused by the meteor storm was not realistic to me. They had hundreds of meteors falling from the sky, and initially it appeared that the amount of damage they were causing was a whole lot less than should have happened when a substantial chunk of rather dense iron-core (I’m guessing) hit the Earth’s surface. But then, with the largest meteor that hit the Earth, I thought, “Well, they’re all toast—incinerated—for about a hundred miles from the impact site.” Especially when we see the size of the “mushroom cloud” on the Earth. The initial shock wave probably should have included super-heated air that would have scorched/incinerated all of the lemurs instantly.

And even after several dinosaurs and lemurs survived the lethal blast, it probably would have taken at least HOURS for the skies to have cleared and the land to have cooled. In addition, all of the earth and meteor that was kicked up into the sky would have led to a global cooling event—with ash falling on them, and then eventually very cold temperatures and snow blanketing the whole planet.

While we’re talking about improbable events, WTF was up with the fact that the lake that was “boiled away” by the meteor blast—clearly dried up and barren—had water mere inches from the surface trapped and easily accessible by stepping on the rocks?? Yeah, that’s believable…

The rest of the film just felt so predictable and unoriginal, like I’ve seen this all in a dozen or more movies that did it better. The unlikely outcast hero saves the day, gets the girl, and gets his happy ending.

2. and 8. This movie just feels so tired and unoriginal. Specifically, it feels so much like all of the recent Disney “baby gets abandoned (often because his parents are killed), someone who is very different than the baby raises it, and the baby has to deal with the ‘fish-out-of-water’ obstacles to become the brave hero of the story” movies of the 19990's. That pretty much describes “Tarzan”, “Hercules”, and “Hunchback of Notre Dame” to a great extent, and the fish out of water parts match “Mulan”. I would also say that the introduction of the egg being stolen reminds me an awful lot of “Soarin’ over California” with the egg’s journey in the river and the pterodactyl’s flight to its nest.

This movie is most similar to “Tarzan”, in that the protagonist’s parents are killed by a predator (that the protagonist eventually has a hand/claw in killing), another species finds the baby and a female wants to raise the child and the male wants to kill it because he’s afraid it will destroy the family, the family from another species does end up raising the child, and eventually said child and the family meet up with a group of the same species as the protagonist (Tarzan meets humans, Aladar meets dinosaurs just like him). Then the protagonist falls in love with one of the ladies from the same species, must deal with one of the males from his species not approving of the match, but all works out in a happy ending with the hero and the lady.

In many ways, Aladar is like Tarzan (see above), but the movie works hard for us to see that he is constantly looking out for the underdog (under-dinosaur?) and trying to protect the weak, old, or infirm. Perhaps this is because he has always been the biggest in his family, and they worked hard to ingrain into him that (a) they are friends, not food (“Finding Nemo”!) and (b) that he should be careful not to harm those who are smaller and weaker than he is. An admirable trait, but it also makes him a bit preachy…

9. In such a boring and rehashed movie, it’s hard to find an iconic scene so I just decided to use the last scene any of the characters in this movie should have seen.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Geez, there aren’t many pins for this movie, and some of the pins from the attractions in the park (Disney Quest and the “Dinosaur” ride in AK) are easily confused for the movie. How about this one (25427)?

[​IMG]

Oops! Wrong Disney dinosaurs (which are a whole lot more entertaining as far as I am concerned), so I chose this pin (14329).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Ajk, MerlinEmrys, timeerkat and 2 others like this.
  2. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

They got their name because of their horns - it means "meat-eating bull" According to what I found they lived before T-rexes. :)
    I remember thinking those horns ridiculous when I first saw these when the movie came out. And I was a dino loving kid back then. (I still have a ton of plastic dinos :) There were some big interactive figures of Aladar and a Carnotaurus at a supermarkets toysection - I loved to push the buttons so they roared and moved. Yes, I was a naughty kid)

Think the same and I haven't even rewatched it for the challange. :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  3. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Ack, wrote up most of Dinosaur but lost it when I lost internet for a day. Will work on rewriting it now.

4. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

1. Dinosaur is not my favorite Fosney movie. I don’t dislike it in the same way I do Peter Pan, I just find it...boring, I guess? I think other movies have done a similar story earlier and better (*cough cough* Land Before Time *cough cough*) so I don’t get much out of this movie. I probably wouldn’t watch it much again, not because I dislike it, I can just think of better ways to use my time.

The voice cast featured some big names (it was nice to hear Della Reese), but it seemed a bit phoned in and I didn’t feel a lot of emotion behind it except when characters were yelling at each other.

One thing I really did like, though, was the integration of animated characters into the live action scenery. The animation matched up really well and at times I forgot the backgrounds were shot live.

8. After watching this almost literally right after Tarzan, the comparison between the two was easy to make. Both have a baby of literally another species rescued by a motherly character and grows up with the other species. When they get older they feel out of place, but eventually find more of their “ own kind.”

It differs, though, in that Aladar isn’t shown wanting to find other Iguanadons in the same way that Tarzan wants to find other people like him. Aladar is content to live with the lemurs until the disaster literally forced him off their island and he runs into other Iguanadons.

9. The Great Valley! I mean...the Nesting Ground!

[​IMG]

10. Dinosaur has so few pins, after weeding out Good Dinosaur and Toy Story and Fantasia and Dinosaur the Ride and general dinosaur pins. There is nothing selecting the scene above, and this is technicalally a button, but I went with this as it shows Aladar’s kindness and patience with the older finosaurs, which are some of his best qualities.

[​IMG]

Pin 25178 - Walt Disney Dinosaur Movie Button

Fifth question to come when I get WiFi again (about to board a plane).

MerlinEmrys, Meritre and coblj003 like this.
  5. unibear

unibear DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

@timeerkat don't forget to post Fantasia 2000 also! I'm looking forward to all of the reviews.

MerlinEmrys and Meritre like this.
  6. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Just landed. I won’t! Just need a bit of time to do my write up.

7. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

2. I chose Kron. I found it interesting that he was the antagonist (the carnotaurs were the real villains) when he really was in the right. He was rushing the group along to give the best chance of survival to the biggest amount of the makeshift herd as he could. Aladar’s compassion for the slower older dinosaurs is noble and in current day would be a good thing, but Kron was right - if they slowed the group to keep pace with the slowest dinosaurs, a lot more would have been eaten by the predators or died of thirst.

Not to mention that as gruff and hardcore as he was, he took in strays from all sorts of species. He could have rejected them and left them to fend for themselves, but even if he did it reluctantly, he still let them join.

Basically, I think an injustice was done simply in the name of “Aladar is the good guy so someone has to be his rival.” Though of note, this time it was the brother of his love interest rather than a romantic rival.

8. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Fantasia 2000

1. I really enjoyed this! It was the first time I’ve seen it in its entirety rather than a piece here and there, and I liked the range of musical styles they used in this one rather than purely classical like the first. It shows a changing time, where the wise audiences of Disney movies like a large variety of music.

The celebrity cameos were a bit off tonally for me, as it seemed more “get big names so we can advertise them” instead of really relating to the pieces.

The backstory of it intending to blend older pieces with new ones was interesting. I hadn’t heard that before. It was nice to watch Sorcerer’s Apprentice again along with fresh material.

9. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

2. Yo-yo the Flamingo from the Carnival of the Animals was one of the most memorable characters for me. He stood out because normally flamingos are flock animals and stick with the herd, but Yo-yo defied the rest for the love of his yo-yo. The tune of the song perfectly matched his bouncy rhythmic energy, and the animation was delightful and really captured the pure joy and love he had for his craft.

Yo-yo’s pink color was bright and bold, which matched the high fast notes of the song and the snappy action of the yo-yo.

10. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

10. The Firebird Suite is one of the most captivating scenes from the film. I wanted a pin to capture the Sprite. This one spoke to me since, even though the World of Color on here refers to the DCA show, it could also describe Fantasia 2000 as well as many of the scenes use color to enhance the music.

[​IMG]

Pin 77806 - DLR - World of Color 2010 - Opening Day

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  11. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

9. My God, the whales flying as a pod and breaching through the clouds is GORGEOUS. It is so visually stunning and the perfect ending to a beautiful piece of music.

[​IMG]

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  12. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

8. Instead of comparing the entire movie to its predecessor, I’m comparing the Pomp and Vircumstamce segment to the Sorceter’s Apprentice segment from the original.

Both feature a Fab Five character as an assistant to a powerful person (Yensid for Mickey, Noah for Donald). Interestingly, Donald seemed to show more restraint in his role than Mickey did in his. Mickey loved the power from Yensid’s hat and used it to the point of abuse and things got out of control. Donald got impatient with some of the animals, but did a largely competent job of getting them all in the Ark, even with worrying about Daisy. At the end, Mickey gets scorn and punishment from Yensid, whereas Donald gets praise from Noah for a job well done.

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  13. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Ok, past midnight here, heading to bed. I think that’s five for each movie; if so missed something I will try to add tomorrow/later today for y’all.

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  14. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

Ack! I've had these typed up on my phone for days and only just now had a chance to transpose them. Oi.

Fantasia 2000

1. Overall Impression
    I don’t think I’ve watched this one since it came out back in 2000 so it was definitely a nice re-visit. I would say that I enjoyed it more than the original in many ways, mostly because the sequences were shorter so I felt nothing ever really dragged on (like the Dinos or “Ave Maria”). The interjections were a little wonky at times, and the Mickey/Donald bit felt way more like Philharmagic that Fantasia, so it was a bit out of place for me. But on the whole, the animation was amazing and I think it was a good continuation of the Fantasia legacy.

2. Character Analysis
    I’m doing a two-fer here because I don’t have a whole lot to say about the first. But my least favorite sequence was the flying whales, not because of the music or interpretation, but because the hand-drawn eyes on the CG whales was very…disconnecting. Probably my own bias, as I much prefer hand-drawn to CG, but the mix the two here just didn’t quite mesh for me. I found myself being distracted more than engrossed. They kind of looked like googly-eyes, hahah!

The other character I wanted to touch on is the Yo-yo Flamingo. This was such a fun sequence—short and to the point, and more than almost any other Fantasia sequence (except perhaps for Bald Mountain or Sorcerer’s Apprentice) was the best mesh of animation/story and music. The trills in Carnival of Animals is somehow exactly the musical cue for a yo-yo, hahah! But the Flamingo’s begrudgingly joining the line, and then finding sneaky ways to still play was just so fun and his expressions conveyed a ton of emotion without a single spoken word. Which I’m always impressed by (*cough cough* Wall-E *cough*).

3. Scene Analysis
    Despite my love for the Carnival sequence, it would take a lot to convince me that The Firebird Suite is not the best of the bunch. This sequence’s entire energy was so on point that it gave me chills (I actually went back and watched it again, I liked it so much). But how they changed the Firebird from explosion to lava flow was soooooo good! And the speedy jumping and dashing of the nymph was expertly animated.

But the scene that really did it for me was when the elk (Deer? Moose?) sort of “breathed life” into the nymph at the beginning to thaw her, and then again to raise her from the ashes. It created this weird co-dependence like the spirit of the forest needed the animal to want/need it, which puts the elk in a position of power as well. It would have been easy to have the nymph just be Nature and this sort of omnipotent/present figure, but having the elk bring her back (twice) I think speaks more to the environmental angle.

7. Overall Goal / 8. Connections/Progressions
    The film’s overall goal was certainly to continue this Fantasia legacy of it being an ever evolving work. Realistically, that won’t work for a film medium (people just aren’t going to pay for it), so naturally it got shelved. But I think 2000 was a great way to revive it a tad, and I would love to see another version in a few decades! Though, we could definitely do with less Steve Martin…. The other celebrity cameos were fine, but his felt so out of place; and stuff like that always feels sort of pandering. As if to say, “We know you won’t stay connected to this, so here’s a lame joke to wake you up.” Be that a modern phenomenon, or a comment on our current society is a post for another day, but it certainly was a strange progression from the original.

9. Iconic Shot
    It’s got to be the nymph, hahah! But it’s a hard call to say which one. So I’ll cheat and do two. XD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first, I think, is more gorgeous and certainly forefront in the pin community’s consciousness because of the Gomes, but I think the dramatic joy and crash of the cymbals for the second scene is really more what I think of when I consider this film.

10. Representative Pin
    Not a whole lot to choose from, but I think this guy is a good bet:

[​IMG]
    Pin 1387 WDW - Artist Choice 2000 #1 ( Sorcerer Mickey & Donald)

It’s a nice marriage of the original and the new, with the prime Disney characters of Donald and Mickey showcasing the evolution of the film.

Stray Thoughts:
    *I enjoyed Rhapsody in Blue so so so so so much. It was the one I smiled at the most, which is definitely a gold star for it. The way it was able to bring together so many stories was awesome. And the art style was fan-freaking-tastic.

coblj003 likes this.
  15. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

Dinosaur

1. Overall Impression

It may be a bit unfair to this movie, but I went into it remembering I didn’t like it at all as a kid, despite being a big dino fan. Well, that expectation was met…for sure. This movie is just so…vanilla. There’s nothing exceptional about it. The CG is underwhelming (even understanding that it’s dated), the characters are SOOO TERRIBLY FLAT, and the storyline is done and done better in other places (I saw that cough, Timeerkat, and I second it!). There is just nothing in this film that makes me want to connect with anyone or feel anything. Russ kept saying, “Could they have chosen a more boring dinosaur than an Iguanodon!?!” And he’s certainly correct. Not to mention, the title of the film is just Dinosaur. So, like, it’s a film about dinosaurs. Cool, great. That gives me nothing to go on. And the first 15 minutes of it are all just world-establishing shots, which we’ve seen plenty of times before, and well yup. That’s all we get to set the movie up.

I don’t like to rant about films, and certainly if others liked this one that’s fine. (Della Reese made it bearable.) I just find it super duper bland and probably wouldn’t return to it.

2. Character Analysis
    Okay, the problems with the film as a whole are whatever. But one aspect that really drives me nuts is how hyper feminized Neera is. This is a common issue with any animal film that involves a romance plot (I’m looking at you Angel………..), but boy howdy it was bad here. Beyond her being purple (let’s talk about “on-the-nose”…), there are several biology issues that come up. First, her size. I don’t mean that she’s just smaller than Aladar—that’s fine. But she’s dainty. When their hands (claws?) touch after digging for water, we see just how significant the difference is:

[​IMG]

There is a HUGE difference in size. One that speaks more to the social construct that to be female is to be physically weaker, but dialed up a good bit. If the female is the one to make nests, she would need to be good at digging. And she would need to, ya know, eat and find food. So to radically give her dainty wrists in service of making her clearly female and also attractive, that’s a lot of troubling coding.

In this same scene, you can see her high, practically contoured cheekbones, lack of brow ridges, and how her spines are more blunted:

[​IMG]

There were plenty of zoomed out shots where you could still clearly see Aladar’s scaling, but her face seems smooth:

[​IMG]

It’s things like this that subtly reinforce social expectations of beauty and femininity (and by contrast masculinity) which become increasingly problematic. There’s been some buzz about this problem recently with the publicity for How to Train Your Dragon 3, so it’s kind of “in the water” for me, but it was rough to see it here again so bold-faced.

3. Scene Analysis
    Less of an analysis, more of a “what the heck?” When Bruton finally joins the group in the cave, Plio (or one of the lemurs…) brings over a plant to help the pain of his wounds. She leaves it there and says, “The plant will help”. But… like… IT’S SO SMALL! And you have opposable thumbs! What’s Bruton going to do with this? He can’t even reach that part of his body, even if he had a means to hold it!

But no, he just slides it over as a “I accept your kindness” and the scene transitions. I’m all for subtly of character development, but don’t be cheap and at the expense of the world’s logic.

6. Dialogue Analysis
    “Love monkey.” “Jerk-a-saurus.” This kind of cheap gag was prevalent in this film. I think it was Tessa who mentioned the voice acting seeming phoned it, well I think the writing was too. One of the strengths of really good animal films is that the writers find ways to incorporate more natural language than something we (as humans) would say. “Sharpteeth” for T-Rex in the Land Before Time series is a great example. So to hear these sorts of lame modern jokes which barely took any effort just broke what little distance there was between the film’s world and ours.

7. Overall Goal
    I genuinely don’t know what this film’s goal was beyond “we need a boys’ movie” or “let’s practice this new CG thing” or “we’ve got this dinosaur ride in Animal Kingdom that needs a film tie-in…” Needless to say, I don’t think it succeeded on any of those levels. The CG, perhaps, was solid but not exceptional. But if you wanted me to feel the sort of “circle of life” vibe you had going in Lion King, I didn’t care that Aladar had a kid (who also did the same cheap peeing gag) as Aladar never made a deal about not having someone like him so it didn’t feel like a triumph.

9. Iconic Shot

[​IMG]

I suppose this is as good as any, since it’s showcasing the cyclical idea the film was trying to hammer in. And it includes Baylene and Eema, so there’s a plus, hahah!

10. Representative Pin
    I know it’s weird, but I associate this film more with the ride at the park rather than the actual plot. So here’s my pick, hahah!

[​IMG]
    Pin 57789 WDW - Walt Disney World® Attractions - Mystery Pin Collection - 2 Pin Set (Dinosaur Attraction with Goofy & Mickey Only)

pincrazy and coblj003 like this.
  16. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

[​IMG]
    The Emperor's New Groove (2000)

Monday/Tuesday is our "wrap-up" discussion on Fantasia 2000 and Dinosaur. So you're welcome to respond to other analyses throughout the day.

However, you may not post any more full analyses for Fantasia 2000 and Dinosaur to count for completion toward the 52 Challenge. No late homework. ;P

~Merlin

coblj003 likes this.
  17. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

Yaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssss XD

18. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I didn't finish watching it but that was what I remembered and what I got from the part I watched.
    I don't know why but I had to think of spiders - but there are quite a few other animalspecies where the female is the bigger one.

I have somewhere a paper doll Aladar from a cereal box we got around the movies release date.

coblj003 and MerlinEmrys like this.
  19. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

When I was doing research about the different scenes in F2000, I read that the animation for the Firebird Suite was inspired by the Mt. St. Helens eruption.

20. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0

[​IMG]

pincrazy, NutMeg, coblj003 and 2 others like this.
  21. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

22. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

:D

23. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

So is it safe to say that this movie marks the beginning of the post-Disney Rennaissance? Disney itself seems to treat it like the red-headed stepchild as its one of the few Disney feature films found in the dvd bargain bin at work(alongside Home and the Range). I didn't realize till now but the workprint of the 2002 documentary, "The Sweat Box" is available via youtube which chronicles the making/scavenging of the Kingdom of the Sun into the Emperor's New Groove. Outside of the initial viewing, it has not been officially released by Disney as was "Waking Sleeping Beauty" years later.

pincrazy likes this.
  24. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

So late and still first? I'm afraid it's really noticable that I had much less time - first week at the university and studying and homework takes up most of my time. I still try but I'll most likely have to sit out for quite a few movies. I'll see what I can manage. :( I'd like to reach at least 26 analysis'

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!
    Another movie we often choose for family fun. I’ve seen it countless times since it came out and I always enjoy it. I remember seeing the german trailer again and again because when it came out I watched a lot of stuff on german tv channels. I really like that family love and friendship got the spotlight and it’s not the ‘fitting in’ and finding true love plot. I love those movies as well and they are great but there were quite a few of them during the ninties and it was simply refreshing to see something completely different. And they have a really nice set of characters and a new lesson to learn.

2. Choose one specific character to analyze. You can explore how a character acts, what they say, how they dress, etc. to explain what they may represent or their function and meaning in the narrative. Try to avoid obvious "plot" stuff (ex: the Evil Queen is a villain, so her purpose is to be bad...), but explore unique and specific elements about the character (ex: the EQ is surrounded by images of peacocks, further suggesting her obsession with vanity). You may also use these elements to explain why you connected or disconnected from the character.
    Kuzco seems the most interesting since he’s the one who changes and grows the most. I can't remember any other Disney movie with such a flawed main character. He’s a selfish, two-faced brat through the first part of the film. Well Yzma claimed she raised him – no wonder the result is like that. I bet she never really bothered what’s up with him and tossed him to the servants, they had to look after his needs as best as they could. I believe now that that played a big part in that he became like he was at the beginning of the movie. But I also think some of the servants were kind and took good care of him – since he actually had the good in him, it only needed to be charmed out by experience. But without Patchas unbelievable kindness that big change wouldn’t have happened. Experience is the best teacher and this story proves it, too.

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? Your analysis could include the scene’s use of color, action, camera angles, music, character development, setting, backdrop, style, etc. If you can justify it with evidence from the scene, then it’s an analysis!
    I think I’ll go with the part where Kuzco realizes that Yzma wants to kill him and won’t help him. First just the music shows that he is sad frightened and things seem hopeless. Then the background becomes monochrome, green, to be precise – the color of the scary jungle then it starts to become more greyish and dark. This seems to be Kuzcos darkest hour. It’s both dark and he feels down. This is the moment of change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rain adds to it and makes everything even more depressive.

4. Choose one song to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? What purpose does this song have in the film and does it succeed in that purpose?
    There aren’t many songs to choose from. The song at the beginning is about how great Kuzco is, similar to Gaston and Rattigan. Although the later two are villains and Kuzco isn’t, this song is, besides praising him, showing his vain, selfish side. At the end the lyrics changes but the melody stays the same, showing how Kuzco has grown but stayed the same – he had it in him all along.

5. Choose one specific symbol in the film to analyze. A symbol is typically something inanimate, an object, rather than a character. So don’t say “Brer Bear represents dumb people,” as that’s more of a character analysis than a symbol. Rather, think about specific objects (jewelry, clothing, houses, food, weapons, etc.) What does this symbol mean and how does that meaning impact the film?
    I couldn’t think of anything more interesting than Patchas seater or poncho or what is this green thing called. It stands for family, love and care, all the good things Patcha has but Kuzco doesn’t. Patcha sees that and gives him both the sweater and these things by trying to teach him – and in the end he succeeds. And at the very end, when he is human again and changed and appreciates family and friends, love and care just like Patche, he gets his own from Patchas wife – it shows how much he changed and learnt.

6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why. You can be a little loose with the “single line” bit, but let’s not go for Maleficent’s entire monologue to Philip... Rather, something like Stitch’s “This is my family. I found it all on my own. It’s little, and broken, but still good. Yeah – still good.” (brb weeping).
    “You thinkin’ what I’m thinkin’?”
    It sums up how much Kuzco has grown and learnt during the movie – and it also shows that then they really trust and understand each other, there were no other words, no explanation needed.

7. What is this film’s overall goal? Is it to teach a specific lesson (what is it) or get an emotional response (such as)? Or both? And how well or poorly does the film succeed in that goal? Be specific!
    Although this movie is mainly a comedy it has actually quite a few lessons for us watchers if we are willing to look for all of them. I think the main goal is to teach about thinking of others and putting the needs of those you love before yours. (That sounds like Olaf) It also teaches about friendship and teamwork and that it is never too late to think over and change.
    I also think that it subtly hints that we shouldn’t judge someone by what he or she says but by the way he or she acts. Kuzco learned that the hard way.

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific! Also, consider what use there is in returning to or re-imagining those elements?
    I don’t know why but Yzma reminded me of Hades somehow. Well both are a lot of fun and have servants that are not really good at their jobs.
    I can detect some other connections to Hercules, too – like the villains servants fail to kill the protagonist and that causes trouble later, Yzma hammering the Kuzco heads like Hades blasted the vases. Also the praising song was very much like Gaston and Rattigan.
    Also Patchas wife taught Rapunzel how useful frying pans are.

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help!
    Because friendship and teamwork all.
    [​IMG]

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!
    This one is a significant moment of the movie, it’s actually my runner up iconis shot.
    Pin 93305 Disney Store UK - Pacha & Kuzco Playing With Kuzcotopia
    [​IMG]

Stray thoughts:

I think it’s really interesting how the title changed during translation. In German it became A kingdom for a Llama, in Hungarian it is Crazy Kingdom. Also, kuzco is called king and not emperor. Also crocheting was replaced with weaving. Possibly because alpaca is often used for that? I don’t know that but I know that there are many sorts of wool using alpaca. (I have a cardigan myself, my mom made it, it’s really nice and soft.)

Yzma loves to wear two princess colors, purple and pink, like Madame Mim. She adds a lot of black, too, so it’s not that unnatural for her.

The translation added a lot of puns - I'm not sure there were that many in the original. I love puns.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    pincrazy and unibear like this.
  25. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0

Exactly!
    [​IMG]

coblj003 likes this.