The Disney 52 Animated Challenge: Year-Long Activity - NOW PLAYING: Princess and the Frog

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by MerlinEmrys, Dec 15, 2017.

1. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bolt (2008) AND Bonus! Enchanted (2007)

Monday/Tuesday is our "wrap-up" discussion on Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons. So you're welcome to respond to other analyses throughout the day.

However, you may not post any more full analyses for Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons to count for completion toward the 52 Challenge. No late homework. ;P

~Merlin

2. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

Also, by my calculations, @timeerkat is the first to reach the 52 mark!!!! :D Congrats Tessa!!!! :D

caw caw rawr and coblj003 like this.
  3. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Even though I watched both of them, I got too busy this past week to post. I'm hoping that there are enough bonus entries for me to get past 52 entries still.
    [​IMG]
    Surprisingly, I thought Chicken Little wasn't that bad of a movie a score as the critics give it though it does pale very much in comparison to it's predecessors; I see it more of an experimental movie in terms of the direction that this movie ended up taking, especially as this has the same director as Emporer's New Groove -Mark Dindal. As the first 3D attempt post the scrapping of the caps program, I thought the art direction was okay if a bit underwhelming. I'm almost convinced that film studios got a deal for certain music rights during this time period as they tend to unquestionably reuse certain songs movie after movie(Don't you go breakin my heart, Ain't no Mountain High Enough, etc), the other songs are material that sound distinctly 15-20 years ago(Barenaked Ladies intro song, for instance).

Stray thoughts/Progressions

• The town square reminds me somewhat of the layout of Main Street USA.
    • The Boulder smashing the car horns to the ending riff of the mickey mouse club march(M.O.U.S.E.)
    • Chicken Little looking with hope to the night sky is also showcased in the Lion King, but also future movies such as Tangled and Princess and the Frog... [​IMG]
    • In Comparison to Zootopia, which has the mammals breaking the stereotype that they are judged by, This film has each character embracing that very idiom(Ugly Duckling, Fish out of Water, Bull in a China Shop, Breed like Rabbits, etc.)
    • As is the case with past Disney features, this film seems to have similarities regarding the King's Quest Series. In King's Quest VII, there is a small city of animals who hold human characteristics, one of them is also a Bull who runs a china shop.
    • I feel the the tone through the movie is a bit inconsistent, they first try to adapt a loose retelling of the original tale of Chicken Little though adding bullying, parent alienation, and total ostracization; the tone gets changed dramatically to parodying alien invasion flicks such as Signs and War of the Worlds.
    • The broken elevator during the chase is a nod to the Disney Attraction Twilight Zone's Tower of Terror.[​IMG]
    • The part of Chicken Little offering the baby alien to the Mothership is similar to a scene from Princess Mononoke, which have the heroes returning the head of the forest god...[​IMG] [​IMG]
    • While is most notably regarded as a critic's disappointment, it did get an award for exceptional casting. This includes Zach Braff, Gerry Marshall, Don Knotts, Joan Cusack, Patrick Stewart, Amy Sidaris, Patrick Warburton, and Adam West...
    • This is the final Theatrical film performance for Don Knotts, who voiced Mayor Turkey Lurkey.
    • The voice of "Fish Out of Water" is Dan Molina, who did similar voice effects for Dirk the Daring in the Arcade Game Dragon's Lair. The "True" Story of Chicken "Ace" Little starring none other then Adam West seems to give nods to that style of Dragon's Lair/Space Ace of which Dan Molina was also an editor for. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Regardless of his current social standing today, this is the final feature film produced before John Lasseter was named Disney Animation Studios' Chief Creative Officer...

I think that this was the first time I actually saw Meet the Robinsons in one sitting, usually I would catch the tail end or the intro. While modest in the boxoffice, it was a critical sucess The art is very reminiscent of the future-world concept of the 1940's/50's. The music by Danny Elfman is balance of quirky/unique/emotive and except for the ending pop song(is this the precursor to Let it Go?) generally has a futuristic vibe.
    [​IMG]
    Stray Thoughts/Progressions
    • The city skyline/Movie Font is very reminiscent of the Tommorowland/Florida Project. In fact the sign when you enter the city is welcome to Todayland, showcasing the visible attractions of Space Mountain and the Astro-orbiter...
    • Adult Goob seems to be based on the likeness of Vincent Price.
    • William Joyce, the writer of the book, as well Artistic director of the film, has a very prominent Art Deco style that is evident in most of his works. He is known for his two TV series, Disney Jr's Rollie Pollie Ollie and PBS's George Shrinks and also known for the book/film series for Guardians of Childhood(Rise of the Guardians), the Leafmen(Epic), and the original film Robots. [​IMG]
    • The films makes a 4th wall reference to Cornelius Robinson looking like Tom Selleck, which is who actually voices the role.
    • I love that Meet the Robinsons was able to utilize the ending quote from Walt Disney. It ties into the general message not to dwell heavily in the past so it doesn't interfere with your current/future well being... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Holy cannoli, we've hit 52 already? :O

coblj003 and MerlinEmrys like this.
  5. unibear

unibear DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

OK, we have another speciesist “Dogs are great and cats are evil” movie again. Oh, joy. But actually, I still kind of like it.

1. and 8. My overall impression of the movie… Several things:

As I said, I’m getting kind of tired of the (often Disney) attitude that dogs are wonderful and great and heroes while cats are evil and mean and villains. “Lady and the Tramp” played this speciesist story for real, but “Bolt” seems to have TRIED to develop a more mature view that this is a stereotype and that the writers don’t really believe it. And yet, they play to it quite a bit! For example, the set cat knows that the show is fake and knows that Bolt doesn’t know that. So what does this cat do? He taunts Bolt (and takes the new guy with him, who is also willing to torment Bolt). So tell me again, writers, how you don’t really believe that cats are evil? Or how about how they introduce Mittens? Taking advantage of pigeons to bring her food instead of hunting and getting it herself. The writers tell us later that Mittens was declawed, and maybe are hinting that she couldn’t hunt on her own, but you know she still has teeth! Equally as “doggist” is the notion that a dog begging will get every single person to throw scraps of meat while a cat begging will only get people to throw cast-iron skillets. UGH!

This movie has further ties with “Lady and the Tramp” in that (1) Bolt = Lady—both have lived sheltered lives, both were unaware of how the “real world” truly is, both escape in the real world and have to learn how to survive; (2) Mittens = Tramp—both had had owners at one time and lost them, both now live on the streets, both end up saddled with a dog that is naïve to the ways of the world, and both take it upon themselves to teach said naïve dog how to live in the real world, and both eventually get adopted in the naïve dog's family. Also, both movies use the tired animal-centric trope of the evil dog catcher who’s always around when you DON’T need them that just happens upon the main characters and carts them off to doggy jail simply for existing.

This movie also has a lot of ties to the “Toy Story” franchise. The whole “delusions of grandeur” thing with Bolt believing that he is a superhero is very reminiscent of Buzz Lightyear believing that he was the “real” Buzz. So, Bolt = Buzz and that makes Mittens = Woody, since Mittens is the one who tells Bolt he ISN’T a superhero and helps him come to terms with being a normal dog (see #4). But then Rhino = Woody a bit, because it’s Rhino that helps Bolt realize that just because he isn’t a superhero doesn’t mean that he can’t do brave things (even if he is scared). And then finally, Mittens = Jessie with the whole “I used to have human, but they moved (or moved on) and abandoned me and now I’m alone and unloved.

The style of animation matches “Chicken Little”, “Meet the Robinsons”, and most Pixar films. I miss the clean 2-D animation style of the Disney movies up to this point (all the princess movies, “Lilo & Stitch”, etc.). Is this style dead? It comes back for “Princess and the Frog” and little bits in “Enchanted”, but not much past that.

Voice issues: John Travolta apparently is a good voice actor, because (even knowing that he voiced Bolt) I couldn’t tell that it was him. I actually thought he sounded more like Owen Wilson. And in the song duet with Miley Cyrus (“I Thought I Lost You”), he sounded more “twangy” than I would have expected—enough so that I thought this song might have been a duet with Miley Cyrus and her father, Billy Ray Cyrus…

I love the affection that Penny shows Bolt when he is adopted. That scene was played for real, and it really worked. I really felt the love between the two of them and that scene was nicely bookended with the final scenes of Penny, Bolt, Mittens, and Rhino as one big happy no-longer-actors family.

The movie ends on several clichés, but it all still seems to work.
    • Bolt has to show up to see Penny acting with the new dog and is now convinced that Penny never loved him. UGH!
    • Of course, Mittens was there to see Penny break down with her mother and admit that she still misses Bolt terribly, and Mittens has to find Bolt to tell him.
    • Penny’s in trouble and Bolt has to save her! I did think that the way the fire started was unique and believable, and that helped the storyline overcome the cliché a bit.
    • Bolt rushes in to save Penny and helps quite a bit, but they eventually get stuck. Instead of leaving through the small hole to safety, Bolt stays behind with Penny even to his detriment. Again, done really well and very believable and that’s why it works.
    • Bolt’s fake superpower actually saves Penny and Bolt (still believable).
    • Sniveling agent shows his true colors yet again, but finally he gets his comeuppance because, well, the movie is over and it had to happen, right?
    • Penny adopts Mittens and Rhino along with Bolt and live happily ever after (I mean, it IS a Disney movie!).

2. I chose to analyze Penny’s agent. He is just a deplorable human being, and a stereotype of the worst kind of agent to ever exist (hopefully there aren’t many like him). I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be her personal agent or if he was supposed to be working for the show, because he clearly ONLY has the show’s interests in mind and not hers or Bolt’s. Obviously, they made him the worst stereotype of a selfish and dismissive tool that really doesn’t care what’s best for Bolt (forcing him to be left in the trailer in a pitch-black sound stage just so the dog will believe he’s a superhero, forcing him to believe that Penny was kidnapped) or Penny (forcing her to leave HER dog in the stage instead of treating him like a real dog; trying to get her to give up on Bolt and replacing Bolt in the show so easily; focusing on getting her on “The Tonight Show” or playing up her near-death experience in the fire for the benefit of the show; etc.). I’ve already spent too much time talking about a character whose sole goal is to make everything about himself (and the show). Not really worth my time to think about him anymore, so I won’t. So, let's just put a pin in him, and NOT get back to it!

3. (and 8.) I scene I chose to analyze was the first scene after adopting Bolt, the amazing scene showing his powers in the fight with the motorcycle ninjas. While it isn’t clear that this isn’t real (I knew this going in), there are still aspects that tip you off… The voice-over description of Bolt’s transformation, for one. When you see what Bolt can do (lift cars, run faster than speeding cars, break through cinder-block walls, his super bark, etc.), it does seem “other-worldly” but this is a Disney movie… I will say that this scene was very action-packed and all of the superhero action reminded me a lot of “The Incredibles”, and I loved it. Bolt getting the explosive off the gas truck, getting the missile to blow up the helicopter, and giving the explosive to a motorcycle ninja who throws it on another helicopter is far-fetched, but if you can get past that, it’s one exciting ride (to quote Gaston). The humor also reminds me of “The Incredibles”, with the ninjas electrifying each other on the freeway, blowing up their own helicopters, and the last ninja shocking himself when he hits his head and says “D’oh!”

I call BS on the whole “we do everything live so Bolt will never know it’s not real” scenario. Some of these things couldn’t be done in real time in one continuous shot—for example, the car in Bolt’s jaw hanging over the bridge. There’s no way Bolt could have supported the car and the far shot makes it clear that there is no crane or support holding the car but they could never put that stuntman’s life in danger without having some safety measures in place that would be very obvious to Bolt! And there is no real practical way for Bolt (and Penny) to run super fast in the road (Zoom-zoom) and have a high-speed chase where an underage Penny is on a scooter facing oncoming traffic traveling at break-neck speed. And would they even allow (let alone encourage) their star dog to jump off a bridge onto a very small hook on a crane hovering thirty feet in the air above a highway with heavy traffic? What if he missed? etc. etc. etc. I mean, it’s all fun and very exciting, but the premise of the movie (everything is done in one take and on the spot just to keep Bolt believing) just seems pretty unrealistic to pull off. I also find it unrealistic that they wouldn’t have had a few stunt-Bolts around to get the duplicate shots or to have as a back-up should something happen to the real Bolt.

4. (and 8.) I chose “Barking at the Moon”, the song playing when Mittens is trying to teach Bolt how to be a real dog. First off, I call BS on the whole “Cats hate dogs because they secretly want to be dogs” in the previous scene. Puh-lease!!! It just plays into the tired trope of “dogs are great; cats are terrible” BS that appears in so many movies (including Disney movies). However, the scene is kind of cute with Mittens teaching Bolt to stick his head out of a moving car (reminiscent of “Chicken Little”), fetch a stick (just like Lilo teaching Stitch to fetch a stick), chase a ball and dig holes to bury a bone, play with another dog, etc. By and large, it feels like a scene out of a buddy road-trip movie, and is kind of a feel-good scene showing that Bolt and Mittens are becoming friends (and that cats aren’t actually evil).

5. The specific symbol I chose to analyze was Bolt’s black bolt on his back. In the movie, I think the bolt symbolizes Bolt’s delusion about actually being a superhero. When he was adopted, he didn’t have it (and wasn’t a superhero). In the filming, he had a distinct mark and was completely confident of his superhero status. Once he escapes and in his travels from New York City to Hollywood, his status is no longer secure. In his “real-world” dealings, he starts to realize that he has no superpowers. But, he believes it’s the Styrofoam that stole his powers; his mark (and his delusion) are still secure. But as he finally realizes that he doesn’t really have superpowers, the fact that his bolt mark is rubbing off just seems to be the final confirmation that he isn’t a superhero. Once he comes to grip with his normalcy, the mark has seriously faded but he still tries to save Mittens and get back to Penny.

6. and 7. The line I chose matches the overall goal of the film: “You never abandon a friend in a time of need.” This is a very general (and popular) sentiment from a movie (Disney or not), and is generic enough that it can be used to fuel a story about the love of family members/pets (Bolt and Penny) and also the bonds of friendship (Bolt, Mittens, and Rhino). It works reasonably well in this movie, it’s just kind of a well-worn (tired) storyline plot to use.

9. I don’t know if this is an iconic scene, but the opening scene where Penny adopted Bolt just melted my heart, so here it is. It also reminded me of the adoption poster in “Lilo & Stitch”.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. There aren’t a whole lot of Bolt pins out there, but I chose this recent one (115453) because it shows the relationship between Penny, Bolt, and Mr. Carrot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    coblj003 likes this.
  6. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

1. I really enjoy Enchanted. It's a funny lighthearted movie, one that doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't have much of a deep moral besides giving love a chance. It's the start of Disney's trend of saying "Hey, look, we don't have to take ourselves seriously! We can poke fun at ourselves!" (For example, just like with Frozen later on (another Idina Menzel movie), the "you're marrying a guy you just met?" sentiment is present here.)

The casting is pretty phenomenal. Amy Adams does a wonderful job as Giselle - she is very smart, but also has that big-eyed innocent look that matches many of the other Disney princesses. Susan Sarandon, in the limited amount of screen time she has, hams it up delightfully. James Marsden and Patrick Dempsey fit their roles well, as well.

The cameos are wonderful little Easter eggs as well. Jodi Benson, Judy Kuhn, and Paige O'Hara all appear as various side characters, and Julie Andrews is the narrator.

4. Happy Working Song is an obvious play on Whistle While You Work, but with a clever twist. While Snow White had forest animals to come and help, New York has an abundance of pests - rats, cockroaches, pigeons, etc. So when Giselle calls to the animals for help, these are who show up. However, due to her kindness and good nature, she is surprised but then welcomes them and enlists them to help clean up. She only sees them as friends, not vermin like the other characters do. This is successful in helping contrast Enchanted with the other princess movies (and also provides some comedy with the animals who are traditionally seen as dirty and germ-ridden being the ones to thoroughly clean the apartment).

6. "What sort of awful place is this?" "It's reality."

Giselle has spent her whole life in Andalasia, where she only experienced happy emotions, where love was instantaneous and easy and people lived happily ever after. In New York, she is faced with real life, where people don't always get along and sometimes marriage ends in divorce. This was unthinkable to her before, so when she meets Phoebe and Ethan it hits home to her how different New York and Andalasia are. She experiences negative emotions for one of the first times in her life. She is truly moved by their breakup, though they think it is just manipulation, which again highlights the difference between the two worlds - her feelings on love are deep and genuine, whereas the others are jaded from real life and can't understand how someone that just met them can feel so deeply for them.

Runner-up line (because it's not really impactful to the story itself but I just love it so much.) :

"I remember this one time when the poor wolf was being chased by Little Red Riding Hood around his grandmother's house and she had an axe. Oh. And if Pip hadn't
    been walking by to help, I don't know what would've happened."
    "I don't really remember that version."
    "Well, that's because Red tells it a little differently."

7. As I stated earlier, I see this movie more as a fun watch than having a particularly deep meaning to it. But if I had to choose one, the goal of the movie is to teach us to not give up on love. Robert's first love left him and Morgan, which soured him to the kind of head-over-heels love that Giselle has for Edward. He is now a divorce attorney, assisting couples in braking up, and he seems to view this as an inevitable part of marriage. He is in a relationship with Nancy, but he doesn't show his love to her easily. After being around Giselle and seeing how she interacts with the world and her views on love, he comes around to realizing that true love can exist, even if it didn't work out in the past.

8. Enchanted takes elements from multiple Disney movies:

multiple movies - the book opening to start the movie
    Snow White - an old hag, poisoned apples, magic mirror, animal friends helping out with chores (while singing a song about doing chores), the kiss of true love breaking the curse
    Sleeping Beauty - villain turning into a dragon
    Cinderella - Giselle talking with the animals, animal friends helping to make clothes, a ball, leaving the slipper behind at the ball for the Prince to find his true love with, the magic ending at midnight

It also turned some of the past movies on their heads:

~ The heroine fighting the villain to save her true love
    ~ Giselle explaining to Morgan that not all stepmothers are wicked (and actually becoming a stepmother herself)

9. That's How You Know is one of the most iconic scenes in the film, and certainly one of the flashiest musical scenes. I love the shot towards the end, with so many groups of people enchanted by Giselle and joining in the song and dance.

[​IMG]

10. There aren't a lot of pins for Enchanted, and many are the same stock poses. But I went with one that shows both the live action and animated versions, and this one in particular because it shows her with Robert.

[​IMG]

Pin# 57406 - Disney's Enchanted - Logo - 2007

Random Thoughts

~ I'm not sure if it was intentional, since the shot of Times Square also included other major shows at the time, but it was funny to see the giant ad for Wicked when Idina Menzel was in the movie as another character.

[​IMG]

~ Susan Sarandon playing the evil stepmother here as a counter to being in Stepmother and seeing Julia Roberts as the "evil" stepmother.

~ What are the logistics of Giselle living in New York now? Was she able to get a birth certificate and social security number? She opened a shop at the end, so she must had had a legal means to do so, unless the store is under Robert's name? It's unclear if they are married at the end, but if so, how were they able to get a marriage license? How does she know what a vacuum is during Happy Working Song? And how did she know what a toilet is if she didn't know what a shower was? How did Giselle and Edward have money to pay for the hot dog and souvenirs during their date? How was Nathaniel able to handle the poison apples when one was able to burn through the bicycle helmet and the dude's hair down to the scalp? And then why didn't it proceed to burn the grass when it rolled off the helmet? These are the kinds of things I wonder about...

~ Robert and I agree on something:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 9:31 AM
    pretty Omi, Meritre and coblj003 like this.
  7. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

1. Bolt week, yay! This is in my top 10 favorite Disney movies, to the point where I dress up as Bolt for the Super Heroes runDisney weekend! :) It is such a sweet movie about love and family, and what we will do to return to the ones we love. It is an animal movie, which already puts it in my favor, but I also love the message of the movie and the dedication of the characters.

The animation is adorable and really detailed, down to individual fur strands and the texturing on Bolt's nose. Each character is unique, both in character design and personality. The voice acting is very well done, especially John Travolta and Susie Essman. Plus, the ending credits animation is so cute I want to reach through the screen and hug it. I love the little touches they did, like making Bolt progressively dirtier, and fattening up Mittens slightly after she is adopted by Penny. The music is lovely and doesn't distract from the story. There is only the one song with lyrics, and it happens during the montage of traveling across the country (and the folk/country sound of the song works well with the midwestern states they are traveling through). Even with having Miley Cyrus as Penny, they didn't try to force her singing into the film just for the sake of having a famous singer's music in the film.

They do focus a bit on dogs versus cats, and making the dog the hero, but they mixed that usual narrative up with Mittens. She starts off as a character that everyone hates (the birds since she rules them like a mob boss, Bolt and Rhino because they think she is in league with the Green-Eyed Man, and the trailer park person because they are a dumdum stupidhead), but we come to find out that she has endured trauma with getting declawed and abandoned, and her gruff personality is explained - she needs to be that way to survive. She becomes a sympathetic character, and Bolt's best friend after Penny. By the end of the movie, the whole "dogs versus cats; cats are the bad guys and dogs are the good guys" is replaced with "dogs and cats can love each other as dear friends who help each other even if it means risking their life."

2. The pigeons act as landmarks throughout Bolt's journey home. They successfully reflect the locals (albeit stereotypically) to the audience so we know exactly where Bolt and friends are in each scene.

We start off introduced to Joey, Vinnie, and Bobby (old school Italian names) in New York. They have a very Goodfellas/Goodfeathers vibe to them. They are dimwitted when it comes to recognizing Bolt but are very street smart when it comes to getting out of tough situations. They have New York accents and their opalescent head coloring is very bright, which makes them stand out against the background.

We briefly see a group of Midwest pigeons during Barking at the Moon, pointing out the way to the gang. While we don't hear what they are saying, this shows off something pigeons are notorious for - their sense of direction.

The next pigeons we meet are Blake, Tom, and Billy (hip young "Business" names), the Hollywood pigeons. Their colors are much more muted, but their personalities are big and boisterous. They have California accents, and are obsessed with the heath aspects of the food and have a personal assistant. They recognize Bolt right away, know how to get to the studio, and have a pitch ready, all signs of living in Hollywood and trying to make it in The Business.

Lastly, we have the Southern pigeons. They speak with a drawl, and don't have any idea who Bolt is - they could care less about celebrity. They have sleepy eyes and go at a slower pace to match the simple lifestyle that Penny and Bolt have now. Their colors are also muted, blending in with their surroundings.

[​IMG]

Bolt's bolt is, he puts it, "the mark of my power." It differentiates him from other dogs, and reinforces in him that has superpowers. The bolt is dark and bold throughout the first part of the movie, when his belief in these powers is absolute.

When he finally puts two and two together and understands that he actually has no superpowers, wee see the bolt has started to fade, and he touches it and it comes off on his paw.

[​IMG]

He is face to face with the makeup and is literally shedding his bolt, along with the delusion that he has powers. As the movie progresses from this point up until when he saves Penny in the sound stage, the bolt continues to fade until it is almost completely gone, to go along with his learning to cope as a plain dog without powers.

[​IMG]

During the final scene, when he is just a house dog, the mark is 100% gone. There is no question now that Bolt has given up his beliefs in his superpowers and is now content just being with Penny.

9. Come on, it's gotta be Bolt learning how to beg from Mittens. If there is one scene in the entire movie that sticks out, it's the one where a cat teaches a dog how to dog.

[​IMG]

Runner up would be this gorgeous shot in Las Vegas.

[​IMG]

10. At its heart, Bolt is a story about the lengths that someone will go to to get back home to the person they love. It also shows the power of friendship, and sticking by your friends in their time of need. This pin does a great job of showing the love for each other in Bolt and Penny's eyes and also features Mittens and Rhino.

[​IMG]

Pin# 89406 - JDS - 110th Legacy Collection - Bolt

Random Thoughts

~ I really, REALLY want Waffle World to exit in real life. I would go on a giant road trip and visit them all and take cheesy photos and try the waffle specialty at each one. Come on Disney, you have eleventy billion dollars, you can make this happen!

~ Man, Rhino's ball is resilient! He travels miles and miles rolling around on top of dirt and sand and asphalt, and the thing barely has a scratch on it. It take a giant piece of falling debris to finally take it out. (And speaking of - watching this and Enchanted back to back, I love that both feature a rodent in an exercise ball. Bolt has Rino and Enchanted has Pip at the end for a bit.)

~ Oh gosh, I think I found an abandonment more heartbreaking than Widow Tweed leaving Tod behind. Mr. Carrot! T_T

[​IMG]

Thank goodness he was brought along after Penny quit, or I would have had to actually cry tears for a carrot squeaky toy.

[​IMG]

~ The alien plot on the show at the end is not the only thing "totally unrealistic." I noticed the severe lack of traffic they show in LA/ Hollywood and the freeway! I live right smack dab in the middle of it, and you will NEVER see traffic as light as this movie, especially during the day. I WISH it were like that, it would be so much faster and easier to get around!

WHAT.

[​IMG]

IS.

[​IMG]

THIS.

[​IMG]

pretty Omi and Meritre like this.
  8. unibear

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

This is actually quite a respectable Disney Princess movie, but it doesn’t seem to get the love (or pin love) it deserves…

1. and 8. My overall impression of the movie… Several things:

OK I find this movie, for lack of a better word, enchanting. It’s so obviously stealing from other classic Disney Princess movies in very unsubtle ways, but it also does some things unique enough that it’s still a strong movie on its own.

Well, let’s start with the Disney Thefts (also see #3/#4):
    • Storybook opening (stolen from several Disney movies, even non-DP ones)
    • Getting the woodland creatures—or in this case pigeons, rats, cockroaches, etc.—to clean the house is very “Snow White”
    • Narissa as the evil queen steals a lot from Maleficent (dragon transformation), Snow White’s Evil Queen (old hag, poison apples, worried about losing her status from a younger pretty princess), Ursula (using crystal ball), Scar (afraid of losing their kingdom to the rightful heir—although we never actually SAW Narissa killing Edward’s father, it’s a good bet she did), etc.
    • Nathaniel seems a bit like Jafar (or maybe Iago?) in pretending to be helping the hero when in fact he is/is working for the villain.
    • Robert’s ball costume reminds me so much of Beast in the ballroom scene.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So if there are a lot of Disney Thefts, it’s important to see what “Enchanted” does different/unique on its own. Some examples:
    • In embracing the full male hero/female damsel trope for Edward and Giselle, it allows them contrast that heavily with Robert and Nancy, who follow much more “updated” sex roles that don’t have a lot of extreme differences—both have jobs and make $, both are equal in making decisions (although apparently the man still has to ask the woman to marry him), equal roles/expectations in parenting, etc.
    • The other thing having Giselle adopt the female damsel trope at the beginning of the movie is that it allows her to grow past it, and become more a part of the modern world. Edward doesn’t really grow, but that’s OK (I guess?) since he goes back to the fairy tale world of Andalusia.
    • Although “Little Mermaid” hints a bit at the “fish out of water” storyline (no pun intended!), this movie explores it in greater detail and in doing so, lets us get to know not only Giselle but also Robert.
    • I really liked the way they did the “That’s How You Know” song, and realistically got the New Yorkers involved in the song. Everyone bought in to it (except Robert, until the very end) and it then just ended with everyone happy. I have to admit I think it would have been more fun if everyone (including Robert at the very start) completely bought in to the song, and then when it was over they all looked confused and sort of asked, “What the heck just happened?”
    • I really like the scene where Giselle confronts Robert and asks, “No? Is that the only word you know?” and he stammers back by answering “No!” and then she teases him, and realizes that she is feeling angry! She is becoming a New Yorker (or American)!
    • Of course, the Princess fighting to save the male Damsel in Distress is new, but it just seems like dragon Narissa was WAY too easy to kill. I mean, she had wings, why didn’t she fly??

2. The character I chose to analyze is Prince Edward, played by James Marsden. He plays to the archetype Disney Prince persona in many ways. He is supremely confident about his role as hero and his abilities to fulfill this role. This plays to the extreme gender (sex) roles of him as the dominant and protective Male and Giselle as the passive and defenseless Female. He never questions his role, even in New York, or that his instant love story with Giselle is the real thing. As such, he is kind of reckless and less than effective in his new environs but this doesn’t bother him or shake his confidence in the least. And, in the end, he doesn’t show much character growth. He is willing to let Giselle go once the kiss proves he isn’t her true love, but then he finds his new true love in a matter of hours. After all, for him, love at first sight is a rather common occurrence in Andalusia (and all fairy tales). Since he doesn’t change much, it makes perfect sense for him and Nancy to go back to Andalusia to live as king and queen. The one real question is how does Nancy cope with her new role as passive female/damsel in distress. Does she buy in to that trope, or does she change it? This movie might actually deserve a sequel to answer questions such as this…

3. and 4. The sequence/song I chose to analyze was the initial introduction of Giselle making her Dream Prince (“True Love’s Kiss”). This song introduces many of the Disney Thefts that this movie is famous (infamous) for: (1) The whole creating and interacting with a surrogate of her prince is copied from “Sleeping Beauty”, where Aurora dances with Prince Phillip’s cloak and boots, with an owl, rabbits, and various sundry Woodland Creatures (WC) helping along the way and from “Little Mermaid”, where Ariel flirts and coos at Prince Eric’s statue that fell overboard (does this mean that Flounder qualifies as a WC??). (2) The whole WC helping to build the Dream Prince is reminiscent of the subsequent Disney Thefts of the WC helping to clean the house = Snow White and the WC helping to make her dress = Cinderella. I will say that the WC in this movie have a bit more of an attitude, especially Pip, and are more aggressive (pulling tails, stuffing food in each other’s mouths, etc.), but Giselle just ignores it or doesn’t see it. (3) The whole Giselle/Edward love song duet feels an awful lot like Aurora and Prince Phillip singing “Once Upon a Dream”.

One major thing I never truly noticed until this particular watching: The Dream Prince that Giselle made is actually ROBERT in his ball costume and NOT Prince Edward. The movie even does an obvious deception to make us think that the Dream Prince is Edward when they cut from the statue straight to Edward. But if you look closely, they don’t really look the same.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking back, it seems like an obvious thing to do in retrospect, but I have to say that the movie really lost a chance to hit it home when Giselle first sees Robert in his costume at the ball. She just smiles nervously, but never has an “ah-a” moment. I was waiting for a gasp or a whispered, “My Dream Prince”, during the ballroom scene but I got nothing! After the true love’s kiss, she says she knew all along, but I wanted the payoff in this scene of her actually GETTING that she dreamed of Robert and NOT Prince Edward!

5. I know I just talked about this above, but the statue of Giselle’s Dream Prince is a huge symbol to Giselle and the audience that Giselle’s true love isn’t Prince Edward; it’s Robert. After all, the statue is a pretty good depiction of Robert, complete with blue waistcoat with silver trim. Unfortunately, Giselle seems to miss this symbol completely and until this viewing, so did I!

6. and 7. The line I chose to analyze came from Robert’s client right after she and her husband told Robert they were not divorcing. She said: “Everybody has bad times. Do we sacrifice all of the good times because of them?” I think the goal of this movie is to get Giselle and her wide-eyed innocence and open nature to help a very closed-off and emotionally dead/distant Robert to open his mind to the possibility that true love isn’t so far-fetched or impossible. Although we’re not exactly sure that Robert embraced this idea enough to marry Giselle, but I think we are meant to feel hopeful that that is indeed their future.

9. I don’t know if this is THE iconic shot from the film, but I loved this scene where Giselle has made a new dress and Robert figures out where she got the material from. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

10. OK, I feel like I’m hitting this idea with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, but I feel like this pin (120981) with Giselle and the statue of her Dream Prince best represents the fatalistic view of “Enchanted” that Robert was Giselle’s true love, not Edward.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 6:19 AM
    coblj003, timeerkat and Meritre like this.
  9. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I'm just heading out the door for work so I'll hopefully get an analysis when I get home on the morning...

10. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

So I'll admit, I had a bit of negative bias towards Bolt; I initially saw it as a cute animal that talks movie and this was around the same time as the Buddies/chihuahua movies were Disney's cash cow. That said, this viewing far surpassed my initial expectations.

1. Overall Impression
    I consider this Disney's first truely successful 3D venture as it is the first under the new co-Direction with Pixar and it ultimately shows compared to its predecessors. The art direction is starting to be geared toward that familial 3D Design that we know but it is much detailed then the last two films. The music score , composed by John Powell of how to train your dragon fame, is much more epic and sounds like a typical action movie soundtrack would at times; it isn't dependent on pop culture songs instead crafting new songs one of which is based on the talents of its actors. The storyline is an interestingly morbid premise as it seems the director tries to perform the ultimate redo of Pavlov's experiment. Of course this era of Disney isn't complete without a dose of a Disney moment; could you imagine the what if Bolt/Penny hadn't made it, it could've been another Hachiko scenario. Overall, I give it a 3.5/5 stars...

2. Character Analysis
    I think as a parent, I can relate most to the mom. It very much seems that she wants to support her daughter and her acting endeavors but is under the thumb of the agent and not willing/can't seem to stand up initially for the needs/wants of her daughter if it interferes with her daughter's career. When we first see her she is generally speechless and follows the posse of assistants/stylists in the background. We only hear her speak her concerns when Penny is talking to her and finally toward the end when she is looking for Penny in the scuffle outside and finally when speaks her mind to the agent and quits. I think as parents we all want our children to succeed and will do our best to prepare them for that end goal.

8. Progressions
    • Bolt using his Super-bark seems to be heavily inspired by Simba/Mufasa roaring. The recent Disney Jr. series, the Lion Guard, gives the lion Kion a somewhat supernatural bark that chases/blows them away similar to how it is portrayed in Bolt.
    • The character Rhino is very much a TV junkie, which is reminiscent of another future series, Fred, from Big Hero 6.

9. Iconic Scene
    My favorite shot would have to be the cross country tour, especially the train ride through the Midwest. This scene reminded me very of the ride back and forth from California from Illinois. It also bears a striking resemblance to another Disney live-action series, Homeward Bound.

10. Representative Pin

Pin 95771 DSF - Beloved Tales - Bolt.

Beloved Tales do a great job of singling out specific scenes of a movie. This one is one of the few bolt pins that give a particular scene in the pins, as it does a good job showcasing breaking the 4th wall between Bolt and the mafia pigeons of NYC.

Stray thoughts
    I find it weird that the movie talks about the ruthlessness of TV networks, while Mylie Cyrus herself eventually became disenfranchised with Disney and that the Disney Channel and its subsideraries are currently on trial for many of the things that was criticized in the film for...

And here we are to the movie that was responsible for the re-invigoration of the Princess series, Enchanted. Much of it is very much tongue and cheek humor but it is really seen as one of Disney's Latest gems from the past Decade.

1. Initial Impression
    So this movie is okay to say that I have seen this movie several times with my daughters, though I generally tend to miss the middle usually. This movie does a great job of explaining a fairy tale storyline in a very modern setting, complete with hi-jinks as well as paying homage to many Disney films, not just the Princess repertoire. The animation is top notch, but suprisingly it was not done in-house by Disney as they had shuttered their own 2D animation; instead it was contracted out to James Baxter's independent animation studio, a former Disney cartoonist who worked on many of their latest hits such as Roger Rabbit, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, and the Hunchback of Notredame. The music is wonderfully done by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz, the music itself paying tribute to disney classics. I very much rate thius 4.5/5 stars.

3.Scene Analysis
    The scene of the prince finding Giselle in the woods is similar to the Original Prince finding Snow White in the woods. Complete with the Concluding with the couple on horseback heading toward the heavenly sunset similar to past disney film conclusions such as Snow White and Fantasia...

8. Progressions

• This film was known for paying homage to the Disney movies that came before it in terms of Cameos and nods to past films.
    • Giselle Design took inspiration from Snow White, Ariel, Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella
    • The New York City Skyline was shown during the interlude was also present in the Rescuers and Oliver and Company.

9. Iconic Shot
    The Conclusion of "How Do You Know" is one of the best parts of the film. Along with it's very memborable lyrics and beat, The scene took many days of reshoots as it had to be sunny outside to showcase continuously throughout the scene.

10. Representative Pin.
    Pin 57999 DisneyShopping.com - Enchanted - Giselle & Queen Narissa (Jumbo)
    This is one of the few pins that I like that has the heroes, Giselle and Pip, versus the nemesis Queen Narissa. It very well takes inspiration from Snow White in theme and design...

Stray Thoughts
    This film seems very much like it takes inspiration from the Video Game, King's Quest VII, in which the princess is transported by the evil sorceress through a water portal to another world. Even the posters look very similar to each other.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 2:44 PM
  11. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

[​IMG]
    Princess and the Frog (2009)

Monday/Tuesday is our "wrap-up" discussion on Bolt and Enchanted. So you're welcome to respond to other analyses throughout the day.

However, you may not post any more full analyses for Bolt and Enchanted to count for completion toward the 52 Challenge. No late homework. ;P

~Merlin

12. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    477   0   0

Sorry this is so late guys. :(( I've had so much going on. But PatF will officially run (at least) through Tuesday 11/20

Also, side note, I didn't get to write up my thing for Bolt, but I did watch it and it is probably one of my new faves. It was soooooo good. It's criminally underrated and I'm ashamed I haven't seen it until now. ;P

~Merlin

caw caw rawr, timeerkat and coblj003 like this.
  13. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

PotF is one of my daughters' favorite, of course my oldest was scared of Dr. Facilier when we visited DLR. Sorry about the lack of photos, I need to figure out if Photobucket finally locked me out or if need to use a computer. I don't want to sign up for a new service of I can help it...

14. unibear

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

UGH!! I recorded this movie on my DVR over the summer and started to watch it today... And apparently I recorded the Spanish-language version of it! So, I guess I'll have to try to go to a video store to see if I can get it. I can't really afford to skip any movies if I'm going to try to hit the 52. Wish me luck.

coblj003 and MerlinEmrys like this.