The Disney 52 Animated Challenge: Year-Long Activity - NOW PLAYING: Wreck-It Ralph AND Frozen

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by MerlinEmrys, Dec 15, 2017.

1. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

Ok, let's get back into this! Sleeping Beauty...

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)
    I had to get back into this so I can watch the movie with my favorite villain! It's a nice fairy tale, which has served as a base for many future stories (like Shrek). Of course, once again, there are things that I didn't think about as a kid: helpless female getting rescued by a prince, and maybe even having a female villain who are jealous, petty, and cruel. Maleficent is dressed fabulously, leads an army, and can turn into a dragon! Definitely my first badass Disney role model haha BUT.. she did get all butt hurt about not getting invited (uh.. cuz you evil!) and cursing an innocent child.

P.S. Prince Philip is a stud!! SINGER, DANCER, SHINING KNIGHT. *swoons*

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? Your analysis could include the scene’s use of color, action, camera angles, music, character development, setting, backdrop, style, etc. If you can justify it with evidence from the scene, then it’s an analysis!
    I absolutely love the sequence in which the good fairies are preparing for the bday party. They're all situated in their abandoned cottage. Everything is so muted and drab, but Flora starts to make a dress with a bridge fuchsia colored fabric. Merryweather is the dummy and says the dress looks terrible, and Flora said it's because it's on her.. SAVAGE. Fauna is baking/ cooking for the first time ever. She takes the recipe literally and folds in the eggs.. HAHA. Love it. Then, they all start crying because they love Briar Rose so much and they won't have her anymore. I guess the scene and everything was nothing too special beside what the actions and dialogues were between all the fairies. I just love them being showcased as mortals and still sucking at it (even though it's been 16 years!!! HOW DID THEY SURVIVE???)

[​IMG]

When the scene continues back into the cottage, it's so precious. They're so bad at non-magic. HAHAHAHHA Merryweather is the only talking real talk. THEY NEED THOSE WANDS!!!

OK, then they actually use the wands, and they magicfy everything. I love that the broom/ mop is like from Fantasia. One more thing about Fantasia, when the fairies are first introduced they were floating down just like the flower puffs in the

4. Choose one song to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? What purpose does this song have in the film and does it succeed in that purpose?
    Actually a series of songs - the little songs when the fairies gave their gifts. An unseen chorus sang a short song about each gift. They sing in a heavenly kind of tone, which seems to give the gifts an ethereal, magical quality. The purpose of the songs are to describe the gifts in more details (since the fairies were pretty curt about them.. "beauty" and "song", and later the merryweather gift). Perhaps singing about it helps the audience remember them better (like an advertisement jingle).

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific!
    Sleeping Beauty definitely builds upon the princess archetype of a helpless female who is rescued by a handsome prince. However, there seems to be some "breaking of tradition" when Philip tells his father that he's living in the past and "it's the 14th century!" LOL I guess this is making some commentary on arranged marriages as well.

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!

[​IMG] I love this pin!!! I also think the style matches well with the artwork of the movie. The illustrations in the storybooks look kind of like stained glass/ mosaics. The scene of this pin shows Aurora in her deep sleep and she's guarded by the three good fairies.

Random thoughts:
    • Maleficent forms a forest of thorns around the castle. Is that technically a briar patch?? ... HMM.. BRIAR ROSE??? I'm not sure where I was going with that, but maybe some connection..
    • The fiance wants to add that even though Prince Philip defeated Maleficent, he wouldn't have been able to do so without the help of our 3 lady fairies!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    pincrazy likes this.
  2. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I remember seeing this picture as a child, it was advertising that Sleeping Beauty is going to be on TV. My sister and I cut the picture out and had it for years. :)

I believe that in the fairitale (the version by the brothers Grimm) those thorny briar roses grew around the castle and covered it and because of them the princess sleeping there was known as Briar Rose. :)
    Those three fairies are my favourites from the movie! In hungarian, Merryweather was renamed Fiona. Well, Flora, Fauna, Fiona sound nece enough. But Malificent was also renamed, she became Demona (even in the live action movie) They were really into renaming and even renamed King Stephen - his new name was King Leopold.
    When I first watched this movie I was already grown up but the beautiful backgrounds hit me instantly. They were quite different from what I've seen so far.
    And the only reason I wanted to watch it was Prince Philips voice, he was voiced by one of my favourite musical actors. :)
    Aurora was a bit unlucky, since her singing voice, provided by a famous opera singer, was very different from her sweet innocent speaking voice. Both beautiful, just not really believable that those voices belong to the same person.

pincrazy likes this.
  3. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

@watzshakinbacon
    If I remember my Disney history correctly, the dress battle over the color of the dress was a reference to the real battle among the animators over the color of Aurora's princess dress.

raikipins, pincrazy, xdattax and 2 others like this.
  4. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

Haha!! That’s awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

1. What is your overall impression of the film?
    Ok so we’re finally getting to some of my favorite movies. The artwork for sleeping beauty is very different than any of the previous films. The backgrounds are very flat but detailed. One of the things you notice there is a noble couple standing at the top of the steps when king Hubert comes down and then when he goes back up they’re in the same place; they didn’t move at all. The static backgrounds allowed for the main characters to move and soda pop off the screen so the audience give them their full undivided attention.

Maleficent is wonderfully sexy sounding and designed but a complete psychopath (maybe has to do with a crappy sleep schedule)! She out crazies any villain until maybe Hans (wait till we get to Frozen for that rant, and he is no where had the villain Maleficent is, even though he may be more psychotic). Who curses a baby? We don’t have back story here, so we can’t use AJ’s Mali for reference (seriously, they neutered her in the live action version), so it looks like Maleficent is just ticked at not getting an invite. She abuses her “pets” even though she must know they’re dumb as rocks, save for Diablo.

2. Choose one specific character to analyze.
    Merryweather! She is the paint it blue girl, and seemingly the only Fairy with any bloody sense at all, other than Flora’s only good idea. Merry is the only one willing to stand up to Maleficent, having to be held back by her cape several times in the movie and dulls the sting of Maleficent’s curse. She’s the foil to Flora, as Fauna just goes along. She’s also the one smart enough to try to silence Diablo, had he not gotten to the tower, Maleficent would have still been asleep.

I believe had Aurora not been cursed Merry would have dropped the gift of wisdom on her. Even in medieval times there were certain educational qualities that were smiled upon for women, so Merry giving her wisdom to compliment her beauty and musical grace would made the perfect princess. Not to say Aurora is stupid, though that seems to be the running assumption given her limited screen time.

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze
    The goons bonfire scene. Green flames, dancing goons, and a seemingly exhausted Maleficent. Seriously, she has bags under her eyes that aren’t there at the christening. The castle is set up similarly to Stephen’s castle, but crumbling with holes in the walls, decaying bridges, and derelict columns. I really hope those weren’t load bearing. The yellow and green flames are the same as what Dragon Maleficent breathes, so I’m wondering what the gas content of the air is in that castle. Of course it could be Greek fire, the lost mixture of raining hell upon enemies that GOT based wildfire on. But the castle’s state of disrepair, its location, and its owner are all pretty much saying one thing: welcome to hell!

4. Choose one song to analyze
    There’s really only one song to be had in SB, Once Upon a Dream. Since magic exists in the universe which SB is set, it’s not beyond belief that baby Aurora had some memory of Philip from that momentary meeting, as such true love, being magical, led her to know her prince before formally meeting him. The song talks about it, they walked and danced in that dream and were able to get to know each other that way. Again magic and dreams in this universe work differently than they do in ours.

5. Choose one specific symbol in the film to analyze.
    Aurora’s tiara. Poor kid, she’s just made the toughest decision of her life, choosing duty over her (assumed) freedom. She wasn’t stripped of agency, she had chosen to bring Philip to the cottage and tell her aunties that she was in love (as only a 16 year old can think she is, hello Anna!) but when confronted with the truth of her parentage and title she did what she knew to be her duty: return to the palace and take her place as the princess. Her sobbing after having the tiara placed on her shows she knew what she gave up and the tiara having tumbled off once she fell to the ground is Maleficent’s destruction of what few choices Aurora did have.

6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why.
    Fauna: Maleficent doesn't know anything about love, or kindness, or the joy of helping others. You know, sometimes I don't think she's really very happy.

Fauna only really gets one good line and it’s the explanation behind Maleficent’s attitude. The fairies discussed turning Aurora into a flower, but Maleficent evidently has power over the weather and can send a frost to kill all the best of Flora’s flowers. Wait a minute, is Elsa related to Maleficent? But I digress. Maleficent is a mean, evil creature who revels in destruction and death. There is nothing kind about her, save for how she treats Diablo.

7. What is this film’s overall goal? Love conquers all, obviously. But once again it does show a scorned woman treating another, younger woman poorly. Is it a message, treat the old ladies right or they’ll curse you to your doom? Or maybe it was the idea that once you’re older as a woman you’re less valued than when one is young and beautiful. Hmmm.

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Aurora and Snow are quite similar, both having their forest friends (while Cindy had her more domestic animals who could talk) and getting stuck in a bout of hypersomnia. However, Aurora is much more defined im her design. She’s not as soft as either Snow or Cindy. She has a distinctly 1950s design with sharper angles than the previous princesses. She speaks less, but has several facial expressions that imply she’s not dumb, she knows her aunties are throwing her out of the house to pick berries for a reason, despite the fairies thinking she’s oblivious.

9. What is the iconic shot of the film?
    This sequence. In this frame she’s considering fleeing but is also considering this handsome young man.

[​IMG]

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!

[​IMG].

Yup. Went with Maleficent being her bad self. :)

pincrazy likes this.
  6. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

Sleeping Beauty Analysis

Disclaimer: I have this movie saved to my DVR and watch it every few months. I don't know exactly what it is that I like about this movie that causes me to watch it fairly often, but I will try to be objective.

1.) Overall Impressions
    This movie had a distinct look that differed from earlier films. The artistic choices appeared to reference illuminated manuscripts of the medieval period. Both art forms utilize vertical and horizontal lines. I think this made the film look as if it was a story from the 14th century. Also, the difference in artistic choices were a nice change from style of Snow White and Cinderella.

The fairies - both good and evil - were a very interesting and entertaining part of the film. The interactions between the three good fairies produced some of the best comedy while Maleficent became a memorable villain. The cottage scene between the fairies as they prepared for Briar Rose's birthday was funny and the fairies had some of the best lines. For example, Merryweather complained that the dress Flora made was ugly and Flora responded that that was because it was on Merryweather.

In my opinion, Prince Philip was a better hero than either of the two previous princes. He was more developed and really worked to save the princess. He was more of a "real" person. For example, his expression when he met the baby Aurora was hilarious. He appeared to scrunch up his nose and wonder what was causing all the fuss. I enjoyed watching the action scenes between Philip and Maleficent as they were detailed and dramatic.

I'm not the biggest music fan, but I can't remember anything standing out musically to me. In my opinion, the music was kind of blah. The personality or character of the princess was kind of blah to me, as well. Even though she is titular character, she has very little to do. (I read somewhere long ago that the character Aurora had the fewest lines of any protagonist except Dumbo.) I did think Briar Rose appeared to have a more adult feel to her design compared to other previous princesses. She has more detail in her design.

The voice cast had some classic Disney voices that were very familiar. Eleanor Audley was perfect as the voice of Maleficent as she sounded both regal and menacing. Barbara Luddy and Verna Felton were both in the movie, too. Since we started watching the movies in order, it has been fun listening for the voices of actors who voiced different characters in different movies.

6.) Dialogue

Fauna - "Maleficent doesn't know anything about love, or kindness, or the joy of helping others. You know, sometimes, I don't think she's really very happy".

Throughout this movie, Maleficent was clearly portrayed as a heartless villain. When we first met her, she cursed a baby because the parents did not invite her to a christening. She continued the hunt for the child for 16 years as seen in her conversation with her goons. She cast spells and transformed herself to prevent Philip from breaking the curse.

Fauna's line was a plausible motivation for Maleficent's actions. This was the only time that anyone expressed any sympathy or understanding for Maleficent. Was Maleficent a villain because the other characters treated her as a villain?

8.) Connections or Progressions
    This movie possessed several connections to previous films. First, the character design of several characters showed a progression in animation and a reference to previous characters.
    [​IMG]
    It may be due to the angular or linear design prevalent through Sleeping Beauty, but Aurora appeared more defined than Cinderella. Her hair, nose, and eyes were drawn with more lines equaling a more defined face.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The design of Maleficent included attributes similar to the Evil Queen from Snow White. Both were tall with robes that flowed in long lines in dark colors. EQ's robe and Maleficent's gown had collars that framed each character's face. Also, each villain transformed into another form during the course of their plan and was defeated in that form.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The same voice actor - Eleanor Audley- voiced both Maleficent and Lady Tremaine. Maleficent and Lady Tremaine shared a few physical characteristics, as well. They both had long faces with expressive eyebrows. The hairdo and the horns on each helped add additional height to the character making them a more intimidating figure.

The Prince role expanded and more adventure was added to this fairytale compared to the previous films. Prince Philip showed more personality than the previous two princes. As a boy, his expression when introduced to the sleeping baby girl was "What's the big deal?" In Cinderella, the archduke tried the shoes on the eligible females. Where was Prince Charming? In Sleeping Beauty, Prince Philip risked his life fighting a dragon. In my opinion, Philip faced threats which neither Snow White's Prince or Prince Charming faced.

Finally, the ending in Sleeping Beauty was similar to Snow White. The curse was broken a kiss and love. This is a continuing troupe in Disney fairytales that love is the post powerful force in existence. The final shots of Sleeping Beauty end with Aurora and and Philip dancing in the clouds. This shot echoed a previous fairytale ending such a as Snow White. This repetition of earlier images or ideas helped establish the expected norms of a Disney Fairytale.

9.) Iconic Scene
    [​IMG]
    The kiss scene is the most iconic scene in this movie be that act broke the curse. While this is not my favorite scene, it is one in which I believe most people with a passing knowledge of Disney films think of when thinking of this movie.

10.) Pin
    [​IMG]
    This pin best represented the film to me as it showed one of my favorite scenes of any Disney movie. The scene at the end of the film when the fairies Merryweather and Flora were still fighting over the color of the dress was both meta and hilarious to me. Most happily ever after scenes focused is sweetness but this one added some humor. I'm not a Sleeping Beauty pin collector but I'd add this pin to my collection.

Watching with Kids: This was the first of the movies from the challenge that I watched with other people. Those people were ages 4, 7, and 8. When I started the film my 4 year old nephew and 7 year old nephew left the room. My niece stayed to watch with me, but her attention strayed until Maleficent appeared. Maleficent was a hit with the 4 year old, too. When walking through the living room to kitchen, he saw Maleficent and stayed to watch. He called her the dragon lady.

pincrazy likes this.
  7. unibear

unibear DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

We have reached the iconic princess movie (at least so far), Sleeping Beauty.

1. My overall impression of the movie… Several things:
    • It’s interesting that the Kings have names (Stefan and Hubert), but King Stefan’s wife is referred to as just “the Queen”.
    • The three fairies and then young Prince Phillip looking into Aurora’s crib reminds me of the scene of Lady looking into the baby’s crib in The Lady and the Tramp.
    • Diablo reminds me of the flying monkeys from Oz. Hench-animal for a truly evil green-faced, black-wearing woman trying to find a young beautiful woman who has inadvertently offended/wronged her.
    • Aurora is an ashy blonde! It’s a far cry from her recent botox- and peroxide-transformation by the Disney machine.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Why would the three fairies bring Aurora back ON her birthday when she was still in danger? Why not wait a day or two when she was truly safe?
    • Shrek seems to have taken several of its ideas to parody directly from this movie. Starting the movie with a fairy tale book, the princess singing along with a bird in the woods (to very different endings), and Shrek trying to get to Fiona in her dilapidated castle feels like Phillip trying to get into Maleficent’s castle.

2. I chose to analyze Maleficent, the Mistress of All Evil. There’s no arguing that she is indeed a villain! She definitely shows the most negative 1950’s stereotypical attributes of “bad women” (maybe still relevant today). After all, Maleficent feels like she’d fit in perfectly in the Real Housewives series.

First off, she’s petty and vindictive. Hell hath no fury like a Mistress of All Evil scorned… I mean, she wasn’t invited to a baptism of the baby princess. That must (might) sting, but predestining the infant’s death before 16 is a bit much, don’t you think?

She’s also filled with anger, as evidenced by her full-out anger and temper tantrum at the goons for spending 16 years looking for an infant instead of a young girl or maiden.

Also, she seems to enjoy other’s pain. She tied up Prince Phillip (this reminds me of the Atomic Shakespeare episode of Moonlighting where Petruchio/David Addison says of a tied-up Katarina/Madeline Hays, “How well she doth look in bondage”), but that wasn’t enough. She had to visit him with a future where he finally returns to save the 16-year-old princess when he is in his 70’s!

Finally, she is reluctant to forgive or let those who have offended her off the hook. So, she was very unhappy about Prince Phillip trying to free Aurora and turned herself into a dragon to prevent it.

On a side note, she seems to be associated with lavender, bright green, or green-yellow flames. I am probably one of the few members here who have seen lavender, bright green, and green-yellow flames! Adding potassium ions to a flame will turn it lavender, adding copper ions to a flame will turn it bright green, and adding barium ions to a flame with turn it green-yellow!

3. & 4. The scene I chose was the song sequence for “Once Upon a Dream”.

This is an iconic scene that introduces Prince Phillip to Princess Aurora. It also introduces Prince Phillip in the movie. The goal of this scene is to allow these two characters to fall in love, and to get the audience to buy in to this love connection.

It starts with the traditional princess in the woods cavorting with her best friends, the woodland creatures. Then, the woodland creatures conspire to bring the prince and princess together, and they fall in love. This feels like a Disney cliché, but in part this movie is one of the movies that actually created this cliché! Since this successfully became a Disney cliché, I would say that this particular scene was very effective in getting the audience to believe that Phillip and Aurora are truly in love, and “destined” to be together (more on that later).

5. & 7. The specific symbol/goal I chose to analyze was fate. This movie seems to follow the philosophical doctrine of Fatalism, the belief that events are fixed in advance and that human beings are powerless to change them.

There are two events that have been pre-destined in this movie: (1) Prince Phillip is destined to marry Princess Aurora, and (2) Princess Aurora is destined to prick her finger on a spinning wheel spindle before the end of her 16th birthday.

In both cases, these destinies are resisted or defied by major characters. (1) Prince Phillip meets a peasant girl that he falls in love with, and then tells his father, King Hubert, that he doesn’t want to marry Princess Aurora and instead wants to marry the peasant girl. Also, Briar Rose falls in love with a random stranger in the woods (always a good idea…) and resists(?) her pre-destined marriage to Prince Phillip by weeping and crying endlessly (thanks 1950’s Disney). (2) King Stefan decrees that all spinning wheels/spindles be destroyed, and allows the three fairies to take Princess Aurora into the woods to raise as a peasant girl to protect her from her destiny.

In both cases, the movie shows that trying to fight your destiny is futile (Resistance is futile: Disney inspires the Borg). (1) Fate seems to be bringing these two together; first by getting the Kings to arrange their marriage and then by forcing this “chance meeting” to get them to fall in love. Inevitably, no one (except maybe Maleficent) is upset that this destiny comes true. (2) Fate shows that no matter how much you rail against your destiny, Nature finds a way to make it happen based on your very efforts to prevent it. So, Princess Aurora does prick her finger on a spinning wheel/spindle because Maleficent conjured one up despite all the rest of them being destroyed.

8. This movie continues the progression of the natural friendship of princesses and woodland creatures. So, do woodland creatures like all young women or just princesses or just damsels in distress (although for a change, Aurora doesn’t seem to be in much distress at this point)? These woodland creatures aren’t exactly human, but they do seem to be sentient enough to trick Prince Phillip into meeting Briar Rose.

The movie also seems to be moving the Disney Prince along a progression from nameless hero whose only purpose is to save a helpless damsel in distress. This is the first prince who actually has a name in the movie, and the first to seem to have an actual personality and meaningfully interacts with other characters. Prince Phillip has a playful interaction with his horse Sampson and you get the impression that he already has a life with which he is relatively happy. He seems to fall for Briar Rose based on actual attraction instead of because she is a princess, he interacts with his father to tell him that he is taking “control” of his own destiny (as if he could), and he fights to free himself from Maleficent and save Aurora because he loves her and not because it is his job.

This is the first prince to seem to have been developed as a character, and he is a portent of future princes like Prince Eric, Beast, and Prince Hans.

9. I agree with the others. Prince Phillip kissing Princess Aurora to wake her seems to be the most iconic image of this film to me. (Wait, Stitch again??)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. I picked these two/three (47564 and 115588/115657) because to me, this film seems to be all about not being able to change a pre-destined fate. In this movie there were two of these, Aurora pricking her finger, and Phillip marrying Aurora.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Disneychildwithin and pincrazy like this.
  8. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

This promted me to add this picture I made when the Diamond Edition came out - the colors changed a lot. Probably the skirt color is the biggest chamge:
    [​IMG]

pretty Omi likes this.
  9. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    491   0   0

1. Overall Impressions:
    While Sleeping Beauty was visually stunning and boasts some of the most memorable moments in the Disney canon, I don’t think as a whole it was really a winner for me. There were huge ups and downs in pacing, and I was severely bothered by Philip and Aurora having ZERO lines after we find out they’re both respectively royalty. This was especially glaring in the conclusion where Philip and Aurora come down the stairs after everyone has woken up. Characters are talking to them, interacting with them, and they’re just mute. I’m not sure exactly why this happened (budget, maybe), but it’s something I just can’t get over.

However, Maleficent’s scenes were all stellar. And the three fairies were fun.

2. Character Analysis:
    Even with the moniker “Mistress of All Evil,” I was still blown away by Maleficent’s ruthlessness in this film. She really is the best villain. From her design to her music, all of it works together to really make her menacing. I was especially taken with her plans for Philip, to keep him until he’s old and beaten, and then to just release him to go save the still magically young Aurora. Like, that’s a really evil thing to do and totally jived with Mali’s overall character.

Also, few sound effects in Disney lore are as arresting as the CLAP of her staff on the floor. I think we hear it twice in the film, but man. Each time I was just like “Yes, ma’am!” Hahah!

4. Song Analysis:
    I’m going to break my own rule here and not talk about a specific song; but rather, I think the music in this film is almost continuous and does a lot of the legwork for the characters. Considering the music is adapted from the ballet, in which there is no spoken dialogue and everything is communicated through the music and dance, it makes sense that the music does so much heavy lifting here. Thinking especially of the fight with Mali at the end, so much of the drama and action was in the music itself. Perhaps that’s allows for a slight forgiveness for Aurora and Philip’s lack of lines for the last half of the film.

When Philip goes back to the cottage, he doesn’t say anything but instead does this little move:

[​IMG]

In ballet, hand gestures like this are used instead of dialog, so I can see this point as the film returning to its ballet roots. But, honestly, I think that would be lost on most audiences (I had to REALLY think about why they might do this) and is kind of a stretch at best.

8. Connections to Other Films:
    I went back through the list, but I think this is the first film that uses Dramatic Irony as a major key story plot. We, the audience, know that Briar Rose is Princess Aurora; we, the Disney fans, know that the man in the forest is Prince Philip, but that’s not ACTUALLY revealed until he goes back to his father. So with Aurora, we think “Oh no, this poor farm boy has fallen in love with a princess,” which is the opposite of what Philip’s father thinks: “Oh no, this prince has fallen in love with a poor farm girl.” Philip doesn’t know Briar is Aurora, but we do—Aurora doesn’t know that Philip is a prince, but we do. We know that both are crushed by being told they have to marry someone they’ve never met—except that they have and they already love each other. That’s a significantly more complex story line than, say, us knowing that the Hag is the EQ in disguise, or that Cinderella is actually the girl who fits the slipper. Those are each singular plot points, whereas this Dramatic Irony is the entire plot.

Just a cool progression I thought and is really starting to move us up in the quality of storytelling.

9. Iconic Shot:
    For me, Sleeping Beauty is really not what I remember from this film: it’s Maleficent. So I’ll choose this as my iconic shot.

[​IMG]

“Listen well, all of you!” The whole construction of the shot just commands attention, which is one of Mali’s most impressive traits. Unlike villains such as Hook, who are threatening but ultimately ineffectual, Maleficent’s bungling is really the fault of her goons (and perhaps her poor management). So she stands out as really the best villain, and this shot captures that nicely.

10. Representative Pin:

[​IMG]
    Pin 28985 Disney Auctions (P.I.N.S.) - Aurora Spinning Wheel

I’ve always liked this scene and think it really encapsulates the drama of the plot. So, since I couldn’t find a good Mali that I thought was perfect, this one will do.

pincrazy and PixiePost like this.
  10. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I have to do a few errands so I will get it done when I get home...

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  11. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    262   0   0

Fell asleep while I was typing up my response, eeps!

1. Yet again, this was a film I hadn't seen in over twenty years. I remember having watched it, but I didn't remember much of anything past very key moments. I liked this more than I thought I would, considering the early princess movies were never my favorites. I think it's held up better than some of the other early movies. It mentions several times that it's the 14th century, but it feels like this could happen in any number of times throughout history.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised at was the amount of humor in it. The fairies were the largest source of this (especially Flora and Merryweather's constant mild feud), but Phillip was charmingly humorous, and even the goons provided some comedy. I believe this is the first instance of a horse having a personality, understanding the human and reacting accordingly, and the interactions between Phillip and Sampson were amusing. (It seems like a mild form of "Disney horses are actually dogs.")

3. The scene where Maleficent lures Aurora to the spinning wheel. It starts with Aurora sobbing in her room, and Maleficent appears in the shadows. She conjures a glowing ball of flame, which Aurora looks up at as if she is in a trance. She slowly starts following it through a portal and up the stairs. Meanwhile the three fairies are talking in the other room, and realize that Aurora is in danger. They hurry in and see Aurora disappear into the portal. They finally make it through, and madly dash around trying to find her. Quick shots of the fairies frantically racing around alternate with shots of Aurora climbing the tower; finally, she reaches the top and pricks her finger at Maleficent's urging right as the fairies reach her just a moment too late.

This is one of the highest intensity scenes in the film. You can feel the urgency of the fairies trying to reach Aurora, with her just a bit too far ahead. It reminded me of when you have a dream where you're running as fast as you can, but never seem to go anywhere, or when something is chasing you while walking and yet seems to catch up to you anyway. The music - mostly strings and wind instruments punctuated by sharp notes, starting slowly and ramping up speed as the scene progresses - heightens the emotion. The frantic searching of the fairies and their rushing around the tower staircases with their cries of "Rose!" is juxtaposed with the slow, deliberate steps of Aurora, and Maleficent's even-toned command to touch the spindle. This combination quite effectively adds to the drama and suspense of the scene. You can almost believe that the fairies will catch up to her in time, until we see Aurora touch the spindle.

5. The symbol I chose is fire, specifically as it pertains to Maleficent. Just as peacocks symbolized the Evil Queen, fire seems to symbolize Maleficent. It is central to her character - it is referenced visually in the edges of her cloak and in her personality, with her fiery temper. She teleports via fire (or smoke), and she transforms into a fire-breathing dragon. Even the silhouette of her castle looks like flames against the glowing sky and fog.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fire is symbolic of many things - passion, consumption, anger, power, and knowledge. Maleficent embodies all of these properties. Her motivation for cursing Aurora seems to stem entirely from not being invited to the celebration, and she reacts quite violently to the goons when she realizes they've been searching for a baby for 16 years. She wields immense amounts of power and knowledge of magic (it's even stated that she's more powerful than the three fairies), as she is able to enact the curse, transform into a giant dragon, enchant Aurora to follow her commands, etc.

9. There are some memorable scenes during the movie (the pink/blue fight while getting Aurora's party ready, the scenes above when Aurora touches the spindle, Phillip's battle with Maleficent, but I think the most iconic to me is Once Upon a Dream when Briar Rose is dancing with the animals. It shows off many of her qualities (her gift of music, her kindness, her grace, her sense of optimism and willingness to follow her dreams, and her lightheartedness and sense of humor).

[​IMG]

10. There are certainly many gorgeous pins of this film, but I went with this one since it does an amazing job of encapsulating the scene above:

[​IMG]
    Pin# 49739 - DisneyShopping.com - Aurora in the Forest (Color Error)

Random Thoughts

~ I love the dynamic between the three fairies. I'm not sure if they are meant to be sisters, but they sure take on the roles of sisters - Flora the eldest, Merryweather the youngest, and Fauna in the middle as the peacemaker/neutral party between the two. I love Merryweather's voice acting, and adore Fauna's sweetness and slight naivete.

~ King Hubert really reminded me of the king from Cinderella - an overweight king who gets hot-tempered when he thinks that his son's marriage is in jeopardy, and having grandchildren as one of the primary motivations for wanting his son married.

~ Phillip - boy, give your horse the damn carrots! He was running through the forest at your command; it's not his fault that you fell off!

~ It was refreshing to finally have a prince character that was more fleshed out. And c'mon, THIS:

[​IMG]

raikipins, pincrazy and PixiePost like this.
  12. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    262   0   0

Yes, 100% agree! Maleficent is SAVAGE. She's smart and cruel, which is a dangerous yet highly effective combination. And those staff slams are definitely one of the most memorable sounds in the film. They sound like a whip crack and punctuate the action amazingly.

13. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    262   0   0

This is the same problem I have with Tangled. Mother Gothel - you could have picked ANY DAY OF THE YEAR to tell Rapunzel it was her birthday. Or just NOT told her she HAD a birthday. She was locked in the tower and all of the information she knows was taught by you. You could make ANYTHING up. But you let Rapunzel know her actual birthday, the day each year when thousands of lanterns fill the sky in a massive celebration.

14. sbmpins

sbmpins Pin Trader

Rating - 100%
    73   0   0

Sleeping Beauty

1) I was afraid of what my impression of this film would be. I found Cinderella to be a letdown and since Maleficent is my fav character I didn't want the same outcome. Luckily I did enjoy it. I wasn't impressed with Auroras character - too many inconsistencies and I keep finding more the longer I think about it. I did enjoy the other characters and the overall movie.

There are sooo many plotholes that I'm choosing to ignore this part. I don't know if those came with the story or were created by Disney but either way, they won't be my focus here. (Fairies never sewed in 16 years?! Did they pick up bsby clothes atg Target? Sorry if I start, I won't stop)

Not sure where else to put this, but I was drawn to the use of shadow and black space in this film. When the fairies steal away with the baby, the artwork us fantastic. When they sneak back into the castle, they go into as black space, then a door opens within it and you see the silhouette of aurora and thee fairies go in before the door shuts back to black. Nearly every scene with maleficent uses shadow to enrich the scene. Look at the sequence of aurora approaching the spinning wheel and the fairies in pursuit. To think its all handdrawn -amazing!

2) I was very much amused by the good fairies. I'm sure the last time I watched I was too young to catch a lot of the humorPpl in their ongoing conversations.

The drunk servant for the king - is this where Ichabod has been hiding all this time! Quite a step up from schoolteacher. Lol

I have loved Maleficent for a long time. My name here - sbmpins - stands for sleeping beauty maleficent pins , since that was all I collected at the time. Luckily no one requires me to update my name as my collection grows. Anyway, I have always appreciated her independence and confidence. She stands out in a crowd. When she enters the party for Aurora, you see a stylized crowd of rigid lines, muted pastels. She wears a flowing dress, curved headdress, with deep rich colors in her clothes and the flames marking her entrance.

Do we think Samson and Maximus are related? Headstrong, bribed by food.

4) When watching these movies, I have paid attention to the opening titles, something I hadn't made a point to do on these previously (as a kid, why would i?). I had no idea the music was from a ballet and I definitely noticed the fullness and emotion in the music. Things were expressed without the need for words. I feel it developed the overall picture to tell a much stronger story.

While ii like once upon a dream, I was tired of hearing the line by the end of the film. Briar Rose, then the prince, then rose again explaining to the fairies, then prince to king, then king to fairy. Ugh.

9) my iconic shot is Maleficent rising out of the flames as a dragon. Also the best part of Fantasmic!

[​IMG]

10) When thinking about pins, this one keeps popping in my head. Ironically Maleficent isn't even in it!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pincrazy likes this.
  15. pincrazy

pincrazy Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Yay, not closed yet....:)
    1) This seems to be the new Disney style trend, with consistent beautiful artistry in animation, and developed storytelling. Maintaining the trend of good vs evil, and more personality given to it's side characters, especially the 3 fairies as godmothers, and even Phillip's horse.
    3) The scene sequence for me is with the forest animals when they take Phillip's cape, hat, boots to become Aurora's dance partner. It's imaginative and well thought out as to the coordinating of positioning of where the animal's placement within the dance.
    5) The gown for Aurora seems to be utilized as an important symbol for a princess. There's even a couple of battles over the color. Unfortunately it's a highly marketable product along with the crown, as a mark of Disney and a goal every girl needs, especially as an expression of which is their favorite princess at the Parks.
    8) The progression between films seems to be the ideal to quality and development. The animation has become scientific with colors, motion, camera work, expanding the idea of imagination.
    10) #100010 celebrates the main characters in a stained glass pin, well designed although smaller than it could have been.

timeerkat likes this.
  16. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    491   0   0

Let's go for about another hour or so. :) then we will do the cutoff and prepare for the chat tonight at 7pm (eastern)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

17. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

Anyone else notice the fists holding up the chains on the drawbridge of Maleficent’s castle? Tres Soviet and intimidating.

I’d be most amused if Fauna had threw in a “make it green!” Shot on the dress at some point. Guess none of the animators were green fans

And, has anyone ever seen the short with Aurora that’s actually in English? Where we find out her mother’s name is Leah? I’ve seen bits of it in German and Spanish but never have I seen the full thing.

pincrazy likes this.
  18. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

[​IMG]
    1. Overall Impression
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So we have reached the 3rd Princess chapter of the Disney Feature Animation catalog . I think the use of the public domain library is starting to show negatively Disney as initial reviews were low in comparison to Snow White and Cinderella regardless of the effort put into it(this movie and Alice in wonderland both panned at the initial box office and didn't do well until later runs). That said I love the background detail and how the perspective compares to medieval murals or tapestries. The main characters themselves are full of animation and life; The music draws inspritation from Tchaikovsky's Ballet, which uses it's main theme throughout the film. If you have the 50th Anniversary Bluray, you can also watch the academy award winning short subject," Grand Canyon" which initially premiered alongide viewings of Sleeping Beauty; though it may be a bit long(30 minutes) similar to how frozen Olaf adventure was before seeing Coco...

3. Scene Analysis
    [​IMG]
    At the end of the Christening, a light showers itself on Princess Aurora and the King and Queen on the throne before a dark backdrop; the camera then pans away from them with light returning to normal. Usually we've been discussing how the pan zoom forward was to discern the arrival down the alter or towards heaven; but in this instance it is the precourser to Princess Aurora being taken away from her parents, the exact opposite.

8. Connections & Progressions
    [​IMG]
    The scene of Briar Rose walking with her animal companions is a connection to the previous princess films. In this instance, it seems to come from the gift of Song given to her by Fauna; fitting, no? I do appreciate that the animals don't seem to "talk" beyond the owl's who; that was one aspect of Cinderella that I didn't care for between these three movies.

9. Iconic Scene.
    [​IMG]
    Honestly, the scene that is most iconic is princess Aurora being kissed/awakened by prince Phillip. Beyond Disney's take on the tale, this is what everyone expects to happen at the end from the original tale.

10. Representative Pin

Pin 25754 WDW Cast Member - Castle Series (Paris) 3D
    [​IMG]
    While not a true representative pin of the movie above, I love the pin for being a representive of Sleeping Beauty story itself. This Pin was one of set of Four that was released a before I started my CP, so I was only able to get the Tokyo Castle. This castle represents Sleeping Beauty more so then the DLR castle pin because of the European styling of the castle and the placement of the story's Couple and Dragon vs the placement of Walt and Mickey partners pose...

pincrazy likes this.
  19. pincrazy

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Mom and I are having a discussion about these films, and now I have a question in general. Would we still be watching these films if Disney hadn't made his parks? Hope this is ok to ask here?

20. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I think that had it not been for parks/merchandising, the majority of "Walt Disney" would still be collectible like Studio Ghibli films are, which are classics to a wide audience and generally favorable reviews. You would probably have a niche audience doing a run like we are doing now. That said I honestly think Disney as a merchandising Brand wouldn't be as strong and you could argue we wouldn't have the majority of theme parks(universal) if Disney hadn't done it first. ...

pincrazy likes this.
  21. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

In my opinion the answer is yes. I watched those movies when I wasn't aware of the parks existing. I've never been to one yet. But I'm sure Disney would have made sure we remember those films even if he didn't had the idea of the parks. I hope it is understandable what I'm trying to say :)

pincrazy likes this.
  22. pincrazy

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Yes, doubt Universal would have existed if Disney hadn't done it first, and financially made a go of it.
    I'm wondering though, if Disney hadn't picked up distribution for Studio Ghibli whether they would have as much visibility as they do amongst families. Good points thanks.

23. pincrazy

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Yes, perfect example. I'm highly influenced because we go to the parks so much and often learn of a movie through the parks. :)

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  24. unibear

unibear DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

I was wondering if Samson was related to Sven. I mean, carrots, it's real...

pincrazy, coblj003 and Meritre like this.
  25. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    491   0   0

Hey gang! Just a reminder that the chat will be starting soon at 7pm! :) looking forward to discussing Sleeping Beauty with everyone!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

coblj003 likes this.