The DPF Pin Trading Fakes/Scrappers Pamphlet (see pg. 2 for updated version)

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by Geoff, Dec 19, 2010.

1. tinkerbellfan117

tinkerbellfan117 Active Member

Rating - 98.2%
    158   3   3

Disney does not do anything about this problem.

2. Geoff

Geoff Almost >< A DPF Charter Member

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0

Sadly, you are right Tinkerbellfan117. However, Disney has taken some notice and is at least trying to >look< like they are doing something; not too long ago several people got arrested and charged with over $2,000,000.00 worth of counterfeiting and fraud for importing fake Disney pins in bulk from China to the USA and selling them in lots on teh bay.

3. weheartdisney

weheartdisney Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Good job Geoff!

4. aggro_ron

aggro_ron Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Pamphlet is awesome! Great job!!!:hatbox:

5. dbozzone

dbozzone Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Thanks Geoff, the explaination about the boarders was just what this newbie needed. I kept reading about it but, really needed a visual to have it sink in.

6. lfountains

lfountains New Member

0   0   0

Very good. Thanks for the info!

7. magicandbird

magicandbird New Member

0   0   0

Geoff, I am unable to get either of the links provided to open. Any thoughts?

8. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0

Ditto!

9. ~BlessedByFive~

~BlessedByFive~ New Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Whoa, How do you tell if they are fakes if they do not have the mickey ears pattern on the back???

10. ~BlessedByFive~

~BlessedByFive~ New Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

If the backs are just flat???

11. sdson619

sdson619 New Member

0   0   0

Hello,

I too am unable to get any of the links to open, thoughts?

Thx!

12. Geoff

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0

Herm... Sorry about that. 4shared apparently doesn't want to hold on to my files indefinitely. If someone has a suggestion as to where I can park them permanently, let me know and I will get them up ASAP. For now, the pics of the sheets on pg. 2 should be sufficient; right click, save image as, save to desktop, double click on desktop to open, print it allowing it to fill page. I tried and it came out great, no pixellation.

13. Geoff

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0

To answer your question, flat backs do not mean it is fake. It just means you have to be a little more careful and look out for any of the other warning signs. Often times, flat backed pins come as hidden mickeys, some disney shopping pins, older rack pins, and more and can be 100% real. Again, just go by the other items in the checklist when checking your pin.

14. figmenteer

figmenteer Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Thank you so much, this is a great help

15. Boosmom

Boosmom Member

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

I posted a response to this post on the other post about counterfeit pins. Meant it to go to this one. You might enjoy reading it. Disney employees DID do something about it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  16. Agogley

Agogley Member

0   0   0

I appreciate this post, as the pictures were very informative. I have a question about the borders, however. Are they always that raised and obvious? I have one pin that looks like it could have a very feint border..but it's not consistent. In one spot it runs off like it's supposed to, but another spot it looks like it could have a small wire border.

17. ThatCrazyRedhead

ThatCrazyRedhead Member

0   0   0

This is awesome, thank you so much! I think I'll print out a copy and take it on our next trip to DLR.

18. KT07

KT07 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

bump

19. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby It's All about the MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    82   0   0

I have read all the versions of this pamphlet. Again, thanks so much for the time and effort placed into making this for us.

My question is, is the an updated version of it for 2013?

20. Geoff

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0

Hmmmmmmmmmm, good point. Give me a few weeks and I will try to have it updated. Yeah, there are quite a few more nasty surprises now both in the world of fakes and actual Disney pins that need to be addressed. Thanks for reminding me!!! ^_^

21. Geoff

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0

I will address this in an updated 2013 version. It seems that Disney has released vast amounts of pins that have what we have come to call "reversed borders". They are very similar to raised borders, but instead of being a vertical protrusion from the back surface of the pin, it is actually a depression in the metal. It is starting to look like some Disney pin manufacturers have started to stamp the back pattern into pre cut pin metal, instead of cutting pins out of pre-stamped metal if that makes any sense at all. This leads to the "reverse border". It looks like a border, but in reality it is just that the mickey heads that were stamped into the back of the pin didn't line up perfectly with the edge, resulting in mickey heads not touching the edge of the pin like they are supposed to, leaving what looks like a depressed pin border.

My job just keeps getting harder and harder. Thanks, Disney.

22. Dream-come-true

Dream-come-true Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

What I would love to see is more comparsion pictures. real vs. fake.

23. mds4z

mds4z New Member

0   0   0

Just returned from Disney World. i would say 90% of the pins on cast lanyards and pin boards were fakes. My daughter was collecting the villain bowling pin series, which I am not sure even should be circulating at Disney World. Thought it was Disneyland series. She collected all ten, all colors were off, and 5 of the pins had 5 of 10 on the back. There were several others we collected that all appear to be fakes.

24. enchantedrose92

enchantedrose92 Member

0   0   0

i wish i would have read these before, someone told me that my pins were fake but im keeping them because i still really like them

25. iBK

iBK New Member

0   0   0

Thank you for this great guide. I'm new to the pin trading but my mom has been doing it for a long time. She didn't even know that scrapper pins were so prevalent at the parks. She has been trading for a while and has purchased many pins at the park to trade with CMs. Sad to know she received scrappers in return.