The Official Kingdom Hearts III Dish Thread (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Tokaji, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

So I've spent way too much time this weekend exploring the beautifully-rendered worlds of KH3, and wanted to come here to dish about it with anyone else who has played, or is curious.

To be kind to those (myself included) who don't want spoilers about things they haven't seen or heard yet, please put information about story and/or specific levels under a SPOILER tag. Please also remember that the SPOILER TAG TITLE is visible to everyone, so don't label your spoiler "OMG CAN U BELIEVE THAT THEY KILLED HADES!!!!" (not a spoiler). I'm not sure exactly how to title the spoilers, as I for one will want to be surprised by worlds I don't know about yet, but I'm sure we can figure something out. Let's talk!

I have to say that when I started the game, it was a bit disorienting, as they didn't really give me a clear goal or a way to achieve that goal in the first level. So I felt very lost, like a child wandering through a place I should find familiar and warm. The game itself was fun, and the new mechanics I'm a big fan of, but I didn't really start to feel at home in the game until the second level. And it wasn't until getting in a gummi ship and the world I went to third that I actually really started getting excited for the game at all.

End of World 4

All of that being said, Toy Box was SO AWESOME! Every corner I turned had me jumping for joy at all the new stuff and excellent game design. I liked that the story was different and fresh.

Going to Corona after Toy Box was a supreme disappointment. The world was beautiful, but the only thing you got to see of it was the freaking FOREST!!! For like TWO HOURS!!! Why?? They build a beautiful castle town, and they let you explore one tiny square and the wharf... That's crappy. Hopefully upon returning you get to see more, but even the version of the story they told here was incredibly lackluster. I wanted to see the Duck Tavern, and I wanted to explore her tower, and explore the castle/town. I wish they hadn't just tried to tell the story of the movie with some horrible excisions and changes.

I'm looking forward to whatever comes next! What have your experiences been?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

I beat the game last night and had some major feelings. XD Mostly emotional--because I've been waiting for the game for 14 years. So it's like a chapter of my life has finally closed. These spoilers are kind of broad strokes. I'll talk about some specifics of the game's events after people have played some. :)

Thoughts on mechanics:
    I like that each keyblade has it's own "forms", as opposed to the Valor/Wisdom/Master set up of KH2. Though I found upgrading them to be incredibly difficult later in the game as certain ingredients went scarce quickly. So that was a bit frustrating. The magic system was good (but I miss the Magnet spell), and though I never use the Link/Summon feature, it was nifty. Finally, I have never cared for the flowmotion mechanic, and this game didn't change that opinion. But it was very pretty. XD

Thoughts on the Gummi Ship:
    I don't like being "that guy" but I think KH2 had the best Gummi Ship set up. I like the individual missions rather than a vast open world to drive around/get lost in. XD I suppose it's there if you want to enjoy it. And maybe now that I've beaten the game, I'll go back and play around in it. But this one didn't quite do it for me.

Thoughts on the Gummi Phone:
    Love/Hate relationship. XD My OCD wouldn't let me NOT hunt for hidden mickeys, but it felt very...juvenile is the only word I can think of. I got plenty of kicks out of taking selfies, for sure, but it was a bit of a immersion-breaker for me. But, again, I did enjoy it. And hate it. And enjoy it. XD

Thoughts on the game, generally:
    It was way way way way way too easy. I had it on normal difficulty and barely had to use much strategy to survive anything. I had to use one Kupo Coin in the finale (not the last fight, but in that ending chapter), but otherwise I never died. I leveled so quickly and easily, the game really felt like a walk through. I guess that's a double-edged sword, but it felt super duper easy. Also, there was no incentive to return to the worlds you had visited other than to complete the Collection aspect of the game. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I LOVED having to go back in KH2 and seeing new areas of the world open up on the second visit. It make the game feel much longer. So when each world was "one and done" for this game, it felt very short. But, again, I think this game was much more "get you through the story" than the others.

All that to say, I really loved the game. I felt like I had some sort of closure to the saga (even if the secret movie was a tease), and though some aspects of my head-canon will never be the same, I felt fulfilled and satisfied. I'll be dwelling on it more, and would certainly enjoy talking about specific events if you're interested. But for now, I feel good about it. :)

3. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0

Maybe at the beginning of the post we should say where we are in the game, so our spoilers don't ruin it for someone else. Like I'm in world 5 but I did world 6 first, so after all the gobbledegook to not trigger the spoilers we put:

World #: beginning of 5, did 6 first

Here's the list of Disney Worlds in order of level recommended:

World #s:
    1. Olympus
    2. Twilight Town
    3. Toy Box
    4. Corona
    5. Monstropolis
    6. Arendelle
    7. The Caribbean
    8. San Fransokyo
    9. Hundred Acre Wood
    10. The final world (which I don't know what it is, because the trophy is hidden)

4. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0

I can't believe you finished it already! I wish adulting didn't get in my way this weekend. I hope I'll be done tomorrow.

Also, for those trying to reply and not spoil themselves, please note that spoilers show up in replies.

I feel like this game really shines when you're just fighting and exploring, but it really falls apart at the endless cutscenes.

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  5. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

This is a great idea!

6. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    267   0   0

Our PlayStation was victim of the Update 6.00 error and has been bricked for months; we finally just wound up factory resetting it on Saturday because nothing else we've tried worked. :( We lost all of our game data (it killed me to lose the years of effort put into Diablo 3 and all of my unique items and pets), but at least we have a functioning system now.

I was able to play for a few hours in between other weekend plans; I got partway through the first world. I am enjoying it so far, though it does seem a bit hand-holdy and some of the attacks seem very overpowered for being so early in the game. I wasn't as intimidated going into the first big boss fight this time than when I played 1 and 2.

I left off the game right after beating the first Titan; running up to him and dodging boulders was very reminiscent of the stampede scene in the Lion King game!

Question about the first world:

Do you come back later in the game to collect the little Herc/Phil statuettes? I've been seeing them everywhere and there's no option to collect them now, so I was wondering if that's a task for later in the game or if they are there purely for decoration.

7. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

@chubs191 endless cutscenes for sure.................

@timeerkat re: spoiler question
    There is not, at least not for the regular ones. There's a small side quest on a revisit that asks you to collect certain ones (it'll be obvious what they are), but the ones that are just sitting around, there's no way to collect them. It drives me crazy. XD

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Tokaji likes this.
  8. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

It is WAAAAY too easy. I'm rusty in the game and the system, and I'm still breezing through it. I think that's partly because of the mini-game-esque feel to the specials (the attraction attacks and all that) that allow you to just destroy entire hoards of enemies without even thinking. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that there's no new content to the worlds after you leave. That's super sad, because if Corona is any example, some of these worlds are really not well developed at all. Blah.

9. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

There is a large area beyond the festival in Corona, but again, the only reason to go is for collecting stuff. There's nothing to do there. But it does make the area a bit bigger. Two worlds later are MASSIVE, so take that in solace. ;P

Also, total forgot about the Attractions bit because I never use them because it makes it way too easy. Wugh. That's something I definitely didn't care for...

10. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

That is some solace. I was hoping for those after-visit quests, too. They were a favorite of mine. I wouldn't use attractions, but I haven't figured out a way to manually bypass them. So I'll accidentally collect an attraction at the beginning of a fight, and then I won't be able to get to second form of the keyblade without using the attraction first. It's quite frustrating. Is there a way to bypass them other than just letting them run out?

11. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

If you press L2 you can cycle through your "special" commands (Attractions, keyblade forms, partner moves, etc). :)

chubs191 and Tokaji like this.
  12. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

AHA!!!

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  13. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    267   0   0

Ok, thanks. Ug, having what seems like collectible items not be collectible plants an itch deep in my brain that can't be scratched. It's just not right!

Tokaji and MerlinEmrys like this.
  14. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

THANK YOU! I thought there had to be an easier way, I just couldn't figure it out.

Tokaji and MerlinEmrys like this.
  15. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

So far, I'm happy to see that most of the stories aren't following the movies; the one that has was my least favorite so far. The rest of them have been far more interesting.

16. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

for the most part, yes, it's invented material. Which is great. Tangled and one other world are really "by the book" (one significantly more so than the other). But the others do such a good job of inventing new space that I can kind of forgive it. I think Tangled is my least favorite world (other than like Twilight Town), so you should be in good shape. :)

Tokaji likes this.
  17. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    267   0   0

Played some more last night, more thoughts:

Um, wow, talk about the difficulty shooting up exponentially between the first titan battle and the last one? I actually died my first time trying the final battle. Luckily I had enough potions to try a second time.

I also took way more time than I should have figuring out the shotlock move to ascend to the top of Olympus. I didn't realize you could select the platform you wanted to jump to, so I kept trying to jump in between pieces of rubble and the view kept changing on me.

18. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

I had the same problem with the Shotlock thing. It took me a long time to figure out how to make good use of it, and I then promptly forgot about it until the final Titan battle when I kinda figured it out again. I also found a jump in difficulty with that Titan, and I only just barely survived the second time. I died the first time. I was at warning bell and out of heals, and to make it worse it was during the portion when you're separated from your team, but I managed to use rage mode to kill him before he killed me.

19. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

@timeerkat @Tokaji

There's a setting you can change on Donald to make him heal you more consistently. I didn't find the option until almost the end of the game (under the configuration menu option). But it would have saved Donald a lot of curses and name calling... #dosomethingdonald

timeerkat likes this.
  20. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Haha, I think I already have him set for that, but maybe I don't. I'll have to double check.

21. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

There's also the Kupo coin, if you can buy that from the Moogles.

22. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

I have them now, but you couldn't buy them in Olympus yet. I've been kind of instituting forced challenges for myself by going to places that are above my level, and when I reach the "recommended level" I turn on Zero XP so that I'll have a challenge when I get to the next world. It works okay.

Also, do you get to do more in 100 Acre Woods than just Rabbit's Garden Games? I was a bit sad to see that that might be it...

23. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

I couldn't remember when they popped up. And yes, sadly that's all that's there. :/

24. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

SQUEEEEEEEENIX!!!!! :angrily shakes fists at the sky:

So much sad face.

25. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Maybe this is just me, but this is the first KH game that I haven't really had the motivation to blast through. Normally, I would play a game like this until I had blisters on my thumbs, but I haven't picked it up for 3 days at least now. I'm not sure if that's because of me, or because of the lack of an overall goal/story. Is it just me, or is the main story really kind of lacking in the beginning/middle? In previous games, you had a real, crazy, pressing reason to jump from world to world. Now, I feel very much like Sora in the Gummi Ship - directionless unless I'm in a world...