Think about this before you write a rant... Internet Etiquette

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by RiftRaftStreetRat, Aug 13, 2012.

1. RiftRaftStreetRat

RiftRaftStreetRat I don't buy that

Rating - 100%
    68   0   0

Okay, guys. This isn't a rant so much as a...PSA of sorts.

And maybe this is because I've come from the depths of the internet (4chan, tumblr, livejournal, and various other sites) so maybe I've seen this a lot in various fandoms and hobbies.

I have many friends who lurk this forum just for the drama. Why? Here's a quote: "They act like thirteen year olds who don't know how to use the internet. It's funny because they're much older than us." AND IT"S TRUE. Some of you guys are almost twice my age, and I see the same types of posts/drama coming from watching my 13 year old cousin's facebook page! Do you REALLY want to be compared to a bunch of pre-teens? I don't think so.

So why do we compare some of you grown adults to 13 year old Twilight/Justin Beiber fans? It's because a lot of people just NEED TO TELL THE FORUM HOW THEY FEEL. And hey, that's your right! Just don't get upset when everyone disagrees with your temper tantrum or starts spamming popcorn.gifs. And that's the problem right there. Someone disagrees with you? THAT MEANS YOU MUST TELL THEM HOW WRONG THEY ARE AND CALL THEM MEANIES AND SHARKS AND JERKS AND YOU'RE THE VICTIM BECAUSE EVERYONE IS MEAN. :(

It is not always best to have this mentality.
    [​IMG]

...seriously. I've seen this happen time and time again.

So here's some guidelines to help you with your future actions on the

When you say you're going to leave forever?
    [​IMG]
    Run away Simba. Run away and never return.

Oh man, this sounds rude, doesn't it? But really, what's the point of saying you're going to leave, then you come back and keep posting? Nobody will take you seriously. If you have no intention of leaving your forum/hobby/fandom, then don't leave. That's cool. It's always better to fade away into obscurity than to go out in a big blaze of fire and drama.

DO NOT TAKE THE INTERNET THAT SERIOUSLY
    [​IMG]
    It's just the internet. Someone may post something that offends you...Just remember. It's the internet. If you feel like you're being 'attacked' step back, think, and then ask yourselves, is it really worth it? Before writing your reply, just chill out. I'm going to recommend ya'll listen to some Imogen Heap. That's some chill music right there.

Also Loki is just so cute look at that whiney puppy face

PEOPLE ACT DIFFERENTLY ONLINE THEN THEY DO IN REAL LIFE
    [​IMG]
    While yes, you MAY see these people IRL, I'm going to say that not everyone acts the same way IRL than they do on the internet. I've met with some traders IRL that I couldn't STAND on here. And you know what? They were sweet and kind, and that was cool. In fact, I liked them a lot more after meeting them.

And of course, the opposite can happen. It happens.

PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE POSTS ARE NOT COOL
    [​IMG]
    You have a problem with a trader? Contact a mod. You have a problem with what a trader says? Ignore. You want to share your 'experience' and make it pretty obvious and then PM everyone the name of the person you were talking about? Seriously? not cool. That's what you do in high school.

RESPONDING TO A PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE POST PUBLICLY IS NOT THE SMARTEST THING TO DO
    [​IMG]
    You're just... Calling yourself out. Now instead of people possibly not knowing who you are, THEY KNOW NOW. Throwing a tantrum and "defending your honor" in public usually doesn't make the situation better. Usually people see the argument, and then make a judgement from there :\

IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING TO SOMEONE IN PERSON, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T TYPE IT ONLINE
    [​IMG]
    Umm... If you'd never confront someone about a petty thing at a trading event, DSF, or even waiting in line, then why would you do that online? Would you accuse someone of scamming you in person with little evidence? Probably not. Would you whine at DSF if you did not get your pin and tell people they shouldn't sell them online? Probably not (though it has happened.

So why post it online?

WHERE SHOULD YOU RANT AND RAVE ON THE INTERNET WHERE NOBODY WILL JUDGE YOU?
    [​IMG]
    Yes, some of you just have this MIGHTY NEED to tell the internet everything. So where do you do this? Your Personal Facebook, personal blog, your personal livejournal, Tumblr, etc. Places where you can happily post whatever you want, friend whoever you want make entries private, friends only, etc. Then you can get all the support you want/delete comments that you don't like and have fun. You can also save your reputation, and not be known to start 'drama'.

And the rest of us who don't care, won't read it.

YOU MAY FIND YOURSELF IN SITUATIONS WHERE YOU JUST NEED TO STOP POSTING

Here are some examples

"RESELLERS ARE SO UNFAIR. HOW DARE THEY PLAY THE GAME OF SUPPLY/DEMAND AND GET THE MOST FOR THEIR PINS. IT'S TOTALLY UNFAIR BECAUSE I'M ENTITLED TO THEM."
    [​IMG]

"I'M GOING TO WHINE ABOUT SELLERS/TRADERS WHO WANT THE MOST FOR THEIR PINS, AND THEN DO THE EXACT SAME THING. DON'T YOU DARE CALL ME OUT ON IT. OMG STOP ATTACKING ME YOU MEANIES"
    [​IMG]

"I'M LEAVING THIS FORUM/HOBBY FOREVER. IT'S FULL OF SHARKS AND MEANINES"
    [​IMG]

"ALL THOSE MEANIES ON CALIFORNIA/PARIS/JAPAN/FLORIDA/HONG KONG WANT LOPSIDED TRADES AND THINK THEIR PINS ARE THE BEST EVER BECAUSE PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT THEM. JERKS"
    [​IMG]

"I'M SO ANGRY I'M GOING TO VAGUELY CALL SOMEONE OUT ON A PUBLIC FORUM, AND THEN PM THEIR NAME TO ANYBODY WHO ASKS."
    [​IMG]

"THIS PERSON VAGUELY CALLED ME OUT, INSTEAD OF PRIVATELY CONTACTING THEM AND SETTLING THIS LIKE ADULTS, I'M GOING TO DO THIS IN PUBLIC, MAKE A HUGE SPECTACLE AND THAT'LL SHOW EVERYONE I'M SO AWESOME"
    [​IMG]

"I HAVE A BEEF WITH A CERTAIN GROUP OF PIN TRADERS/CLIQUE AND WILL RANT AND RAVE ABOUT THEM WHENEVER THEY'RE BROUGHT UP IN CONVERSATION"
    [​IMG]

"UGH MY FAVORITE CHARACTER WAS INSULTED THIS IS SO UNFAIR MY PRINCESS IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER PRINCESS AND I FIND YOUR COMMENT OFFENSIVE. I WILL TELL YOU MY FEELINGS RIGHT NOW."
    [​IMG]

"SOMEONE I DON'T LIKE IRL FROM DSF/DLR/FLORIDA/ETC. IS POSTING ON HERE. I'M GOING TO AGGRESSIVELY CALL THEM OUT ON POSTS THEY MAKE."
    [​IMG]

"SOMEONE IS CALLING MY FRIEND OUT FOR STARTING DRAMA. I'M GOING TO DEFEND THEIR HONOR AND MAKE THE SITUATION LOOK WORSE FOR ME AND MY FRIEND."
    [​IMG]

"SOMEONE OFFERED ME A COMPLETELY LOPSIDED TRADE. I WILL TELL THEM WHY THAT IS TOTES UNFAIR TO ME, INSTEAD OF POLITELY DENYING THEIR TRADE REQUEST WITH A 'NO THANK YOU'. UGH."

[​IMG]

So, if you don't want to have drama, if you THINK something you say is going to cause drama...Then don't post it. Or you know, sit on it. Write it up, put it in a word document or .txt file, save it in google docs, whatever. Let it sit there, get a glass of cold water/nice coffee/iced tea/beer/shot of tequila and come back to it. You still REALLY feel that way? Go ahead and post it I guess. But more than likely, you won't feel that way by the time you come back.

Here's where I'm not gonna lie... I have gone through VARIOUS fandoms, hobbies, and websites, and I've found that Pin Traders as a group, are the most entitled group of people I have interacted with, especially when it comes to Disney itself. But you know what, they're also the most giving group of people when you make friends.

And we all have our bad days. I know sometimes, I'm a total jerk. Everyone goes through some bad times, and for that I have the best link to give you guys. (WARNING: autoplays music)

http://thequietplaceproject.com/thequietplace

Sit back relax, and enjoy the quiet place on the internet. Seriously, it's the best thing for stress relief. <3

Anyways That was my tiny rant/PSA. I hope some of you found this helpful (and you got some laughs out if it) A lot of this is common sense, but it never hurts to be reminded of Common sense every once in a while. <3

AND YOU KNOW WHAT?! I STILL LOVE YOU GUYS! HAVE A GRATUITOUS ALADDIN .GIF

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. CrashMyParty

CrashMyParty One Dynamite Gal

Rating - 100%
    89   0   0

+1
    I'm more on the younger side around here and I'm really quite surprised at how some of these adults act and handle themselves in certain situations. I totally understand that the Internet is an escape and you can say certain things a lot easier behind a screen, but it's really time to stop listening to Peter Pan and grow up. Just because you can post something, doesn't mean you should.

3. CrashMyParty

CrashMyParty One Dynamite Gal

Rating - 100%
    89   0   0

PS I like the gif use :)

4. dawny

dawny Active Member

Rating - 100%
    334   0   0

Dont have a comment --but did go to the link I LOVED IT. Drama is a choice. Same people with drama here have drama in their lives and if they have a mellow day they look or create drama, and they dont even realize it...i have many a wonderful friend, good people, loving people, giving people.....but drama filled. Its like they dont know what normal is?? Sad and true.
    I choose to take it with a grain of salt. I have the gift of NOT having to read a post, comment on a thread, pick up the phone, change the channel......it called a choice.:angel: Now i am going back to that link, where i closed my eyes and was sitting atop of the dorment volcano on the Big Island....just me and the earth and the wind.

5. swim2sea

swim2sea DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

I loved your PSA and it's excellent advice. I'll be following it and hope others will as well. And as I always say - you can't stop growing old but you never have to grow up - and no matter what - Disney is MAGIC!!!

6. dalakersrnumba1

dalakersrnumba1 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Awesome post!

7. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Active Member

Rating - 100%
    138   0   0

[​IMG]

8. Merryweather

Merryweather Active Member

Rating - 100%
    408   0   0

:bigthumb: - I wish for a sticky on this.

9. PrincessxJasmine89

PrincessxJasmine89 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

+100000000, drama is for reality shows! :lol:

10. TheGrimGrinner

TheGrimGrinner Mortals pay a token fee DPF Charter Member

Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0

Awwww, you beat me to writing this thread (though I like how you wrote yours better). Guess I'll add this in here now:

[video=youtube;cfwwHa-7Ux8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfwwHa-7Ux8[/video]

11. translation

translation Member

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

[​IMG]

Best post ever.

12. leopardpolkadotspots

leopardpolkadotspots Active Member

Rating - 100%
    172   0   0

lol brilliant and to top it off you finished with Genie's GROUP HUG.

Very well said :) thanks for that!!

13. wyllieam

wyllieam Active Member

Rating - 100%
    193   0   0

Bahhaaaa! <3

14. Vixy

Vixy The Girl That's Never Been

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

GROUP HUG! :D Seriously I want to hug this post and all the gifs in it.

(Do please maybe warn us next time a link is going to autoplay music, though, neh? I'm at work and didn't expect a quiet place to play music. My bookkeeper looked at me funny.) :)

15. Goofy_Moe

Goofy_Moe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    290   0   0

Perfect Post... But I as Grim would like to add a tidbit...

[video=youtube;zSDj7bjAv2s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSDj7bjAv2s[/video]

16. RiftRaftStreetRat

Rating - 100%
    68   0   0

Great video!

I edited the post to put that tid-bit! (and add captain america =w=)

17. catburger

catburger Grown Ups Please, ACT GROWN

Rating - 100%
    142   0   0

FREAKIN BEST POST EVERRRRRRRR. THIS DESERVES A MEDAL FOR SARCASM AND HILARIOUSNESS. "grab a shot, and if you really feel the same, go ahead and post i guess" too funny. good job! I hope this post saves us from more useless rants about "californians" and "meanies" and "sharks" hahah. Well done my friend!!

Bob & Cat

18. Story

Story Active Member

Rating - 100%
    273   0   0

OMG, I love!!! <3 And the Loki one! Your .gif and picture finding skills astound me! =)

I really loved your post too! It's so evident how you sincerely care about this community! :hug:

Oh my goodness! Poor Sara! ='( And it's so true too. We'd like to think and hope people in our computer won't mess with our emotions, but we really just can't help it. In moderating experience, I have gotten some pretty horrendous insults and remarks thrown my way publicly and via PM, and then there'd be some people who would cyberally stalk me just to find anything they can say that was bad about me. I'm sad to say it would ruin my day sometimes and even bring me to tears. I mean really, why do some people feel the need to be mean??
    [​IMG]

In the end, I have learned from things and when I feel down or I think someone may have something against me (most of the times I'm just overthinking the situation and being paranoid due to past problems >.<) I have learned the best remedy is to close my computer and enjoy something else. Usually when I find myself opening up my computer again, I realize the problem wasn't major or didn't even exist, and I'm happy I decided not to say anything :)

I'm only a part of a few forums, but in my experience the benefits of meeting other collectors and being able to enjoy sharing stories and collecting with them always outweighs the inevitable bouts of drama. Thanks again for the wonderful post! ^.^

19. RiftRaftStreetRat

Rating - 100%
    68   0   0

Sorry about that!! Added a warning ^^;

20. mickeymousje

mickeymousje Active Member

Rating - 100%
    376   0   1

Awesome post! +1000000000 <3 :hug:

21. caligirlUCR

caligirlUCR Active Member

Rating - 99.2%
    234   2   1

OMG BEST POST EVVVERR!!! we have needed this for far too long!!! I second the idea to sticky this thread!!!

22. halloweenfiend

halloweenfiend Active Member

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Usually when I see "Rant" in a thread, I do an abrupt turn and run the other way. But, this was a good one! An excellent combination of how-to-play-nicely-in-the-sandbox and tongue-in-cheek. Thank you!!

23. Goofy_Moe

Goofy_Moe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    290   0   0

Ok the video post was just for fun... Honestly speaking....

This was soo overdo to be written.... Thank You for taking the time to write it...

I also agree this or something very similar should have a sticky as it is so important to the well being of our beloved site...

We may be double your age... Some of us maybe triple... Lol... And to have a persay younger member take the time to write this to ask everyone to stop and look at what is happening truly means a lot... Older does not mean wiser... Your post was very well written and written in a way not to offend anyone, which is amazingly hard to do... I commend you for your efforts and pray that this does not fall on deaf ears...

24. Goofy_Moe

Goofy_Moe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    290   0   0

On a side note the infraction system should automatically charge anyone who uses the word RANT in their threads.... LOL

25. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

+1!!! Best post in a long time - and exactly what the forum needs right now!!! Thank you for writing it!!!