Thinking of an impromptu last minute quick trip to Orlando Parks in Oct

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by TornadoTitan, Sep 14, 2017.

1. TornadoTitan

TornadoTitan Nick Wilde's Biggest Fan

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I am normally much more planned and calculated and don't do things on a whim, but I been in a really theme park withdrawal mood lately, been watching videos of Disney World and Universal Studios thinking about my first trip to Orlando last year. I been planning fake trips to the Orlando parks since people say that helps but after doing that want to make them a reality.

I have a convention I will be selling my art at in Atlanta the first week of October and noticed if I ended up rescheduling my flight from Atlanta to Orlando before heading back to Texas it wouldn't be too much more. I am thinking of either staying at a cheap hotel or AirBNB in the range of $30-50 a night and fly in Tuesday early morning, look around Disney Springs, do Epcot on Wednesday, then fly out Thursday morning. It would still be a chunk out of my wallet but think it could be worth it so I could get it out of my system and finally experience the Food and Wine Fest.

Alternatively I was thinking of staying an extra day if I do go through with this and try and hit Universal for Halloween Horror Nights.

Has anyone else tried out of the blue trips to Disney? The rational side of my brain is saying last minute trips like this could be a bad idea, but I feel I am in the mood for an adventure.

2. FoolishMortal71

FoolishMortal71 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I love spontaneous trips! The only downside is with FastPass, if you don't have everything pre-booked, you'll be waiting in line for the big attractions like Soarin' or Frozen Ever After. However, if that's not a pressing factor for you, you'll be fine. I enjoy just strolling around the parks eating, people watching, and visiting characters. If you can afford it, I say go for it!

3. GoofyinMadison

GoofyinMadison PinPics: DIZFAN

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

Go for it!! While you're at Disney, stop in the Art of Disney & write it off as a business trip!

4. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

If you can afford it and it fits into your work schedule (although in this case, it seems like this is your work schedule), I say go for it. I've managed a few last minute trips to WDW (last minute being planned with less than a week notice) and not only did I love every minute, I ended up very glad I went. The only downside is that you may have a hard time securing dining and fast passes for any or at least the more popular restaurants and attractions (this may or may not be a big problem depending upon the time of year you go, but I wouldn't let that stop me from going if everything else falls into place).

If you do go, have fun!

5. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

6. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I always had fun just going through the parks and experiencing it on the whim then trying to cram things on a schedule, I personally love rainy days to get on rides...

7. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

You're asking a bunch of Disney junkies if you should take a detour to go to the parks?

Seriously bro.

Make the plans and go!

:phineas:

8. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

‚ÄčThis. Times infinity. That is all.

9. TornadoTitan

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Lol, I guess I should have expected us being all Disney fans the consenses would be GO GO GO! XD

Seems like I am 80% set on going. Though hoping to have one of my friends tag along so it won't be a solo trip.

10. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

If it helps (entering serious enabler mode here), I've done more solo trips to Disney than I can count and there are advantages to being by myself. To start it all off, my time is entirely my own. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, without having to consider anyone else's wishes. If I want to sit on a bench and people watch for an hour, if I want to spend 15 minutes taking one picture, if I want to sleep in late or get up super early ... it all doesn't matter, it's all my own time. Plus, if you post your dates, I'm reasonably sure some of our WDW-local members might meet up with you at some point, so you won't be solo the whole time.

Plus, it's Disney ... the cast members are so friendly, you always have someone with whom to chat!

11. TornadoTitan

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

So I got more planning and cost estimates done, if I go through with this it would be my 2nd ever WDW trip and first one I am planning solo so would like to hear your advice and opinions.

Flight Dates: I will be flying in from Atlanta at around 1 PM on a Tuesday, since I am coming back from a business trip I will have 3 50 lb luggage bags, so I will be lugging them around. Southwest is flexible I currently have two different departure dates booked, Thursday at 7:45 AM and Saturday at 6:45 PM. The Saturday date would give be another half day to do things in the area while the Thursday departure would be waking up early to get to the airport. So with Thursday, I will only be able to do one full day at one park, and Saturday, 3-4 days at the parks.

Hotels and Transportation: I been looking up cheap $30-40 a night hotels nearest the Disney area, but have also considered doing the All Star Sports which is the cheapest Disney Resort hotel at the moment ($130-150 a night). I see one advantage to the Disney Resort is the Magical Express to and from the airport (which might help with my heavy luggage), and shuttle to the parks. For the offsite hotel, I see Supershuttle to and from MCO would be about $40-50 for a trip from and to the airport, while Lyft/Uber to and from the parks would be $10-20 one way. Plus being on site would potentially give me some extra magic hours. Though it would still be cheaper offsite.

Here is the rough estimated cost of the flight, park tickets, hotel, and transportation (for off site hotel) not including food and souvenir money for staying either 2 or 4 nights.

2 Night, 3 Day, 1 Park Day, (Tues-Thur) at cheap offsite - $400 or $200 a Day
    2 Night, 3 Day, 1 Park Day, (Tues-Thur) at Disney hotel - $454 or $227 a Day

4 Night, 5 Day, 3 Park Days, (Tues-Sat) at cheap offsite - $656 or $164 a Day
    4 Night, 5 Day, 3 Park Days, (Tues-Sat) at Disney hotel - $958 or $240 a Day

So what do you all think about these options? Anyone you see as being the best?

Yeah that's what I was thinking, my last trip to WDW, I was moving much faster than my group, and had to wait for them to catch up, while other times I like looking at the shops and stands, while they want to move past them. Also I kept pausing for pin trading, which they didn't do, so going at my own pace might allow me to enjoy it more.

12. jadeites-lady

jadeites-lady Bookworm Belle

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

If you can afford it, I would do this:
    4 Night, 5 Day, 3 Park Days, (Tues-Sat) at Disney hotel - $958 or $240 a Day

Magical Express would deliver straight to your resort room so that is nice!

13. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I would make this recommendation anyway, but I especially make it since this will only be your second trip to WDW. Definitely stay on property, if you can afford it, for several reasons:

1. I think you lose so much of the 'magic' of a Disney holiday when not on property.

2. There are advantages, like EMH, the DME, and resort-to-park transportation. EMH and resort-to-park transportation require no explanation; the DME will transport you and your heavy luggage between MCO and your resort.

3. You're right there; staying off property, you have commuting time both into a WDW and then around it to get where you want to go. I would not recommend a car until you have a few more trips because it can bee confusing to navigate.

I would do the five nights, but if you think you might return for one more trip, impromptu or planned, within a year, you may want to consider an annual pass (unless you already have one?). The annual pass will give you a park hopper ticket (obviously), discounts on your resort rooms, and the option to buy a card that gives you a discount on table service dining. I remember pricing it out a long time ago and (not sure if the maths still work) I believe the break even point was 6-7 days - and this wasn't even considering resort discounts.

14. jadeites-lady

jadeites-lady Bookworm Belle

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

^^This except for #3 because, right now, due to the 45th anniversary of WDW, they started extending out the AP discounts to be similar to how DLR's is. BUT, it's supposed to be ending prior to your trip.

Tables in Wonderland ($150) discounts:
    http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/disney-dining-references/tables-in-wonderland/

info:
    http://tablesinwonderland.com/

WDW AP discounts:
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/passholder-benefits-and-discounts/

And here is a comparison chart:
    http://allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  15. TornadoTitan

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Thanks for the tips. I have a cast member friend of mine who is looking into seeing if they could get a discount for me for a Disney hotel, if not then I might just save doing Disney Resort for a future planned trip and just go budget this time (almost forgot I did D23 Expo this year which was pretty pricey).

Also I was strongly considering getting an Annual Pass, but could not justify the cost since I don't think I would use it enough. Only have 3 days at the parks planned, and one of them is just for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.