• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

This Post Cover's a couple of Topics...CHECK IT OUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Post Cover's a couple of Topics...CHECK IT OUT!

iamdisneydan

The Bald Guy In The Back
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
127   0   0
So today in the mail a good friend sent Max some of the new Toy Story Vinylmation.
I have a few things to talk about regarding these pins and how it relates to many topics of current discussion.

First, as many of you know, we are the self proclaimed Vinylmation experts and have done lots of research about these pins. While many don't really get what they are about (sometimes I wonder myself) at least they have been consistant in their main size and shape with only the artwork changing.

The Star Wars set held true to this too. Now with the introduction of the Nightmare set and now the Toy Story, they have made a few that don't hold true to the original die.
Not a huge deal but now they are not uniform and technically a vinylmation is a specific shape. These have been something new where 6 pins are shown and there is a mystery pin but again, the Star Wars held true to the original format.

In the figures (3" & 9"), they have never added a hat changing the overall basic design. With that said, as mentioned we received the Toy Story Vinylmation today. This is a sealed package, Mystery pin still enclosed and the original receipt. (A friend picked it up for us and mailed it to Max)

These are the worst example of a pin I have ever seen. Now here is topic 2.
SCRAPPERS? Right in the original package?

We have been discussing people screaming Scrapper as soon as something does not look right and time and time again, I have given examples of going into Westward Ho, Little Green Men, WOD or Pin Trader and taking 10 of the same pin off the rack and comparing them. You will see differences in many ways. Well here is a perfect example.

I really liked the nightmare set and was impressed with the quality (Even though the Mayor has his tall hat on , however, the Toy Story set is a far cry. The artwork on the Green Soldier is terrible and you can hardly make it out. They have also used 4 different colored back. (so far since we have the set and 1 chaser). There is no continuity whatsoever. A few of the pins look like there is too much added in the channels.

I have attached pictures for your viewing. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, the Mystery Pin which was in the original clear package and in its own sealed black plastic bag looks horrible.

Of course it is a real pin but check this put. Instead of a silver, gold or even black back finish, the chaser is purple, the dinosaur and the Army man are green and also the sides of the pin is also this color. The sides of 2 of the pins are chipped.

The chaser has what appears to be a border. It is actually a paint overlay but look for yourself. Also notice how far off the registration is on the pin compared to the one next to it. (The disney stamp, and all other text), (dont worry, you can tell but of course it's the pin on the right) and worst of all, LOOK AT THE PIN BACK PLACEMENT. The pin also came with some paint already missing on the top of the pin.

The point of my post is 2-fold. I am dissapointed at the quality of these pins and also so people can see that even right off the rack, some pins have problems. IT DOES NOT MAKE THEM SCRAPPERS.

I can only imagine if I traded this with someone what they would be screming......
Not all pins are PERFECT!

I know some people disagree about my terminology issues and that is fine, but too many people who are not qualified and find a slight imperfection with a pin compared to another make notes of it on pin pics to BEWARE OF SCRAPPERS. This causes unnecessary worries.

This is right out of the package so is Disneyland now distributing SCRAPPERS. Maybe Disney bought them on EBAY! (lol)

See my dissapointing pics below. Pretty sad but once they are in the book, they will look fine. Its just knowing.

As always, I love to hear what you think. This is more about people calling anything not perfect a scrapper.See for yourself.

Being the Vinylmation expert, I know these are not borders as there is still releif from the micky design in the proper places, it is just where the die hit them is off registration. Point being, many other people would surely call it a border and a scrapper and it is not.

Here ther are on the original card
on card.jpg
The dinosaur and Army man are Blurry
Front.jpg
My pic is not too great on this one but you can see what I mean about the detail
army.jpg
Actually counting the chaser there are 5 different color backs.
A couple of them look like borders?
Backs.jpg
Here is the Mystery Pin compared to another in the set.
Look at the centering of the printed info as well as the pin placement. (way to the right and very off center. Also, that mark on the top right is missing color. (actually its like another color got on it) It is not worn, it is just missing. Also, it looks like it could be a border if you did not know better.
pins 2 003.jpg

Last edited:
Wow - good to know, but makes me sad too. My kids l-o-v-e the vinyls. I hope they square away the issues and get them back on track. You know, I wonder if the different colored metal is an attempt to thwart the counterfeits?

This is exactly what happened to the pt52 pins!!!!! IF and i say IF there were scrappers they would be everywhere on lanyards!! i have yet to find any PT52 pins on lanyards in the dlr park! i have been at least 4 times i the last week and have not seen ANY pt52 on lanyards, lots of kites and other hidden mickeys though!

I see PT52 pins on lanyards at DLR all the time. I never trade for them because I have seen more than my fair share of scrapper or unauthorized PT52 pins floating around the park.

The DSF Event was unfortunately a great example of poor quality control.
As you know I wrote a post just about that. Not very cool when you line up at 2 or 3am to get pins that are so sub-par no-one will want to trade for them.

Some will say that it is a small percentage of pins with this problem but I am finding more and more that lots of pins are having problems and this may be why so many people are screaming scrappers.

Pretty unfortunate.

I would've sworn that the last pin is a scrapper! That is definitely a border. Why are they letting them make such crappy pins?!?!?!? I'd be totally frustrated, too. I'm sorry this is happening.

The fez pin from the 10-10-10 event looks like someone put it face down on the sidewalk and scraped it along the ground. (very sad)

If I saw that last pin I'd say scrapper too....that's not good at all. I know what you're saying Dan, we bought a bunch of the Cars LE tins, well we were opening them up and the first thing we were noticing was divets in the paint....not horrible but noticeable. But we know they are 100% legit because we bought the tins until we had the whole set. LOL DBF really wanted them so we just bought them, we figured we'd trade the others but no one wanted them because of the divets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back