To Auction or Not to Auction?

Discussion in 'DPF Auction House' started by Goofy_Moe, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Goofy_Moe

Goofy_Moe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    290   0   0

I can weigh in here I think... I have a little bit of experience in having an auction or two and after a typical learning curve we have figured out a way to make it always work for us... Well almost always... So I will add my top tips on how to run a succesfull auction with little fear of failure...

1. Expand your Wants list... This is number one most important thing to do... A typical wants list is just that... The pins you want. If you want more offers then you should expand your wants to include several if not hundreds of pins that are not necessarily what you collect but helps people understand what you would accept as a pin you can use in the future...

2. Auction Times... Most of my auctions are no more than 2 - 3 days in length. This keeps your post in the minds of people since it only is listed for a couple days. Also the days you want to auction are typically on weekends since more members on active on the forum. Also my auction during the week end at 6:00pm PST so that the East Coast members can participate for the ending.

3. Universal Appeal... We have learned this lesson very quickly with big losses in items that were valuable but appeal to few members... If you put up a good pin that you know people want, you will never be lowballed... But you may not get pins you want, you will get the value out of the pin. If you take the risk with a pin that everyone wants (Pixar's Brave Pin) you will get a bidding war for sure...

4. Shipping Consideration... Do not put up items that have large shipping cost(Framed Sets, Heavy items, Box Sets)... Even if you do get a trade of the value of the item, in the long run you will lose with having to ship the item.

5. Reputation and Involvement... These are very important in my opinion... If you are an active member on the forum, that is honest and nice, you will have your threads looked at... If you are the opposite, then you will have people look past your threads to see who else is active on the forum... My extensive forum involvement has helped me develop a reputation that for some people draws them to my threads to see what I am doing next...

6. Quality and Feedback... We only trade pins that we are 99.9% confident are authentic, noboby can be perfect... We also work to try to keep good feedback from fellow traders... But what helped me develop a base of people who continue to view my auctions is I take risk with some pins that are very nice. After getting the fan base, we can auction off most items and even if they do not like it, they are going to take a look and see what it is...

7. Title Line... If you notice I rarely post the item in my title, I want them to click on and see what it is... The more views on it, the more others want to see why... Also instead of putting the word Bump in any auction of mine, What I often do is change the Title a bit, like ending soon, and then after I post a comment/leader... The word bump makes it look like the item has little interest...

Well I am not sure if any of that can help anyone, but that is what works for me and I have no complaints about the results of our auctions...​

2. Psycho Pixie

Psycho Pixie Vacations are a grand thing

Rating - 100%
    213   0   0

I would add:

1. keep the rules/requests simple.
    2. make a picture of the pin in the post. I can explain how to add pics and links if you want. :)
    3. "sell" your pin a bit, mention its cuteness factor or how many people want this pin. I even occationally wrap a bit of a story around my pins.

3. Jrdnsmom

Jrdnsmom Active Member

Rating - 98.9%
    91   1   0

If someone does not announce a winner after 24hours from the end of the auction then what? I've been waiting for a announcement and it's 25hours after end of auction, I don't want to be pushy, I'm the only one who asked already once, I really just want to back out, can I do this, I don't want to offend either. whats one to do?

4. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Active Member

Rating - 100%
    138   0   0

I agree that there should definitely be a rule as to how soon the winner is announced after the end of an auction... It keeps people from waiting around, and needlessly holding on to pins that they could be having fun trading instead. I've only held a few auctions, but I always made the auction end at a time I knew I could be home and by the computer, so I could immediately let everyone know who has won. Saves everyone a bit of stress! :anxious:

Also, for people who bid in an auction... Make absolutely sure you have the pins you're offering before you bid. Don't take a chance and bid pins that you're pretty sure you've got, somewhere. Accidents happen, of course, but it's unfair to other bidders, who are bidding against what you've offered, and also to the auction holder who is carefully making his or her decision based on what you and the other bidders have. :nono:

Another thing that's a little frustrating is the inability to edit auction posts after they're placed. I completely understand why the mods did this - We don't want people sneaking around changing their bids! - but I do wish the auction title could be edited to reflect the time left to bid, and the original post could be edited to contain more information, and possibly a current leader board at the start where everyone can see without scrolling down. :down:

This may not be the right thread to post my opinions in. I was just offering a few suggestions, and venting a bit. :) Hope you don't mind, Goofy_Moe!

5. ElysionsPrincess

ElysionsPrincess Love Thaws a Frozen Heart!

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

I have a general question! If I'm directing it at the wrong spot, I'm sorry! :eek: I'll move it to the correct spot if linked! :)

Here is a hypothetical situation that I have been curious about:
    Say that I put up a pin for auction, and I only receive one offer. Say, for instance, that I do not like this offer at all. Am I still obligated to trade with this person? Is there any way to extend an auction time (is that allowed?).

I am just nervous I'm going to do my first auction and won't be happy with the results! I wouldn't want to back out of an agreement, though, because that's bad trading!! Just curious to know what the options are in that circumstance. :)

Thanks!

6. tiggermickey

tiggermickey DPF Correspondent DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    1591   0   0

If you only have one bid..yes you have to accept that bid!!No closing it early or backing out,thats the chance you take when you put your items up for bid

7. ElysionsPrincess

ElysionsPrincess Love Thaws a Frozen Heart!

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Okay, thank you for the clarification! :) I know there is no ending early, but there is also no time extensions? I just want to be 100% sure I'm following the rules! :)

8. fordracing31

fordracing31 DPF Moderator Staff Member DPF Moderator

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0

Thank you for this information. I am glad I read this before doing an auction and Im pretty sure Ill come back to it as a reference.

9. punn

punn Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Where on the site do you start an auction?

10. Princessdorothy

Princessdorothy Member

Rating - 88.9%
    16   2   0

Hello I am really new and love this whole idea but just a bit confused and was hoping someone could help, let say in a hypothetical situation:
    I put something up for auction and have multiple offers do I get to choose the winner because I like their offer the best or do I have to give it to the person who offers more value wise? Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. YoSoyAhPuch

YoSoyAhPuch the 13th Grim Grinning Ghost DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    91   0   0

Per the auction rules, "Please limit bumps to one per day, or a bump may not be needed if the thread is active with offers/inquiries." I've seen a number of "Should I auction this pin?" or "This pin up for auction!" threads in places other than the auction section. Having multiple threads publicizing a pin you have up for trade, including one that can be commented on numerous times (the "this is for auction" threads), does that not go against the rule? In a weird, non-direct way of course. But it allows for more exposure than auctions that are put up without extra threads pointing people to them. "All trade auctions are at the risk of the individuals involved." If people are afraid of getting bad bids, then put it up for trade rather than auction. If you get a lot of people asking to trade, then put it up for auction.

Sorry, just had to get that off of my chest. If you're afraid of bids not being good enough or your game failing, put your pin for trade. Having a "should I auction this pin?" thread puts your pin at a slight advantage over other auctions.

12. Rocke01

Rocke01 love to pin trade! DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    319   0   0

I do not agree with this. I think an inquiry is just that, an inquiry. I do not think people are asking the question in order to "publicize" an upcoming auction (although after seeing this thread they might start). I know when I question what to do with a pin, I have not decided yet, and the inquiry helps me make a decision. My motives are nothing more than that. I would think if one wanted to publicize an auction they would send out PM's. I have received them notifying me of an auction and I thought it was a great idea.

13. YoSoyAhPuch

Rating - 100%
    91   0   0

There is currently a thread that says, "This pin is up for auction". That is why I bring this up. Also, I want to be sure that that person does not take my posts as any sort of attack on them. I hope their auction goes well. It was just something that I've had on my mind for awhile, more of an opinion that should be thought about. If you're auctioning a pin, you're taking the chance of not getting the best. All the "should I?" threads is more of a personal annoyance I guess.

14. Rocke01

Rocke01 love to pin trade! DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    319   0   0

Understood. There may be some that choose to "advertize" as well. An entry that says there is an auction may be informative. I have sent people to sales threads and such at times to help them find what they are looking for. Maybe kind of the same thing? Dunno. I am not here to judge or try to figure out in everyone's mind what their motives are. I just want to enjoy the site with as little drama as possible... LOL.

15. YoSoyAhPuch

Rating - 100%
    91   0   0

Amen.

16. anncro45

anncro45 New Member

0   0   0

Is it better to auction or if I really want to get rid of a pin should I just sell?

17. Ventchick

Ventchick The DPF Ventriloquist

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

@anncro45 It depends what you want for the pin. If you want cash, then sell it. If you want other pins for it, then auction or trade it. You can also look at people's signatures and see if it's on their Grail list.
    Feel free to PM me if you have other questions

18. Ventchick

Ventchick The DPF Ventriloquist

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

@anncro45 It depends what you want for the pin. If you want cash, then sell it. If you want other pins for it, then auction or trade it. You can also look at people's signatures and see if it's on their Grail list.
    Feel free to PM me if you have other questions

19. anncro45

anncro45 New Member

0   0   0

Thank you Ventchick!