Tokaji's Pin Board Adventures!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Tokaji, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

Okay! I recently decided that I really needed to get some of my collections out of bags and boxes and onto boards. Long ago, in a store far far away, I bought a giant sheet of coroplast (corrugated plastic) with the intention of making pin boards, so this thread will document my process of making each one as best I can. My first one is already in progress!
    [​IMG]

This was sketched onto the coroplast sheet with pencil, then cut out in quite a painstaking process with scissors and an xacto knife. I'd love to find a better way to cut this stuff... Thought about a foam cutter (basically a hot wire), but that seems a bit more dangerous. I then covered it with duct tape to help round off edges and create a better hold for the pins (thanks for the tip, @Booger1964 !!). The next task is to figure out how, and with what, to cover it. I'll keep you updated, and if I remember I'll post step-by-steps! :D

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

Oh man painstaking but so worth it, that's one cool incomplete board! :p I almost think you should paint it.

3. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

You could cover it with scrapbooking paper, or a neat fabric, or heck wrapping paper?

4. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

I think some kind of fabric might be your best bet!! Paper is good if you don't move the pins around much..

Are you planning on hanging it on the wall eventually?

5. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

Definitely going to hang it on the wall. I thought about paper - but as you said, it would only work if I don't move pins much. Paint, I think, wouldn't stick to the duct tape for long. Not 100% sure on that, but it's my instinct.

6. lynn99

lynn99 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    133   0   0

I have several coroplast boards made by vixy, and she covers them with fabric.....mine have held up great. I'd def use fabric, not paper, cause you gotta rearrange the collections every once in a while....

Tokaji likes this.
  7. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

I'm thinking of trying with felt... I'm not sure how fabric would do in this instance, although it is definitely an option.

8. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

Felt is a pretty easy way to go, just make sure to line up your sheets well, and I'd even suggest coloring in the spaces with a marker or something. My corroplast is white and the felt I placed on top is black, so you can see white peeping though at the seams.

9. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

So you've done something like this before? How did you attach the felt?

10. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

I hotglued the felt. I can't think of a better way to attach the felt but the hot glue makes glue globs, so you have to be careful when you're pressing in your pins (basically avoid pressing near the glue lines)

11. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

That's my worry! I thought of cutting the felt just a tad big and putting the glue line more on the outside... Not sure if it would work... I also thought of stitching the felt onto the coroplast. Again, not sure it would work...

12. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

ooh! stitching it will be a huge pain!! maybe some kind of double sides tape? or like.. a HUGEEEE single piece of felt/fabric LOL

13. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

Haha. I was just thinking of a few "tacks" for each piece, not stitching the whole thing, which would indeed be a pain (although if done in a contrasting color, it would look pretty sweet).

14. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

hmm that could be a good idea. In that case, maybe it's also worth overlapping the ends of felt to reduce the number of tacks ... OR just use the pins as tacks.. lol possibilities are endless!

15. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

That would be an interesting way to do it! I don't know! This is my dilemma...

16. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

I just realized that your board is the broomstick (I kept staring at my own board and I forgot about the broomstick lol), so that's a lot of non-straight edges.. hmmm i'll have to have more a think about this :p

17. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

It just figures that my first attempt would have to be something ridiculous and over-the-top... This is how I get myself in trouble.

Sami and watzshakinbacon like this.
  18. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Ridiculous and over-the-top is the only way I know how to do things. :p In all seriousness, though, have you considered layering the coroplast sheet with another material that might be a little more conducive to both paint and pins? To be completely fair, I haven't made my own pin board (yet!), but I've been around pins, pin boards, and people who have made them for far too many years to count ... I've seen a few things and picked up a few (possible) ideas ... .

Would it be possible (genuinely asking) to acquire a flexible cork board material and cut it out to match the beautiful shape you have created so far? I'm thinking the cork board might be more supportive for pins (and forgiving if you ever want to rearrange your collection). Plus, I know it's possible to paint on cork board; I know people who have custom painted cork board pinboards and they have come out absolutely gorgeous.

19. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

That's a pretty good idea. If your cork is thin enough, you can still use most of the thickness of the corroplast to secure your pins. The only problem is the same as before of adhering the cork to the corroplast. You could prob hot glue that, too, but once again, be aware of the edges where the glue lines are when pressing in your pins.

Tokaji likes this.
  20. TammyH

TammyH Active Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

How big (tall x wide) is this? could you purchase felt-fabric by the yard and cover it in one large piece? I see that one of the cut-out areas would be OK with this method, but the smaller-one (on the left) would need to be slightly-patch on the bottom... if done in black it may not show (if you color the plastic in black)...

This is a cool idea! Thanks for showing this!

21. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

You're welcome! It's great getting everyone's input. I hadn't considered cork, @dancecats which is an interesting possibility. You guys know I love to paint cork.... but as Erin said, I'm worried about the glue used to attach it. I'm probably going to look into felt first (I had no idea it came in rolled sheets!!!!) And see what I can do with it.

22. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    503   0   0

Fabric and use super glue.

23. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

Do you think the super glue would stick well to the duct tape? And would it get too hard for pins or become unstable while being pushed through constantly?

24. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Could you place the hot glue around the very outer edge of the board? That should hold the fabric in place without the glue globs affecting the pins. The pins in the middle would help hold the fabric/felt in place.

25. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

With fabric that would absolutely work! My problem with fabric is all the crazy fussy cutting I'd have to do; I don't know how well it would stand up or if it would fray and get all weird... Maybe if it was a flannel or something...