Tokaji's Pin Board Adventures!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Tokaji, Mar 28, 2018.

1. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

Felt usually doesn't fray. You could buy a large section of felt and trace the outline the board. As long as the scissors are sharp the felt shouldn't fray.

2. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

That's my thought too. I think felt is the best surface for this particular project! I might even try some fancy cutting and do it in broom colors. Go all in, you know?

3. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

I made a Montessori work that showed the different layers of a volcano out of felt. All the layers have kept their shape.

Disneychildwithin likes this.
  4. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I suggest felt for your first one and see how that goes. If you're using fabric scissors or pinking shears you won't have issues cutting and fraying won't be too much of a problem. I wouldn't line the felt up with the sides, I would probably take it to the back of the board and then cover everything with a full sheet of thick cardboard for a clean backing, you can use ribbon or something similar to boarder the sides if you want to keep it clean if you're not taking the felt all the way to the back. You can also fold the edge of the felt/fabric and glue it down for an edge, but felt might look bulky depending on the thickness of the felt you're using.
    Super glue won't work, easiest would be hot glue, but it doesn't always hold up when you're touching stuff constantly. I'm looking for a glue alternative as well for projects, I want to test out some epoxy instead of glue, but they take longer to dry. :/
    If you do decide to use fabric instead, you can just fray block the edges before you start glueing it down to the corrugated plastic, I use fray block for lots of smaller projects with fabric, you can also pre-sew the edges which keeps fray away and makes it cleaner.
    I want to make a board for my mom, I think I'm going to use cork for mine, and just make a pattern and cut the cork out in one whole piece and go from there. Lol I still want an epoxy though, I don't want to use hot glue for anymore projects.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tokaji likes this.
  5. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

If you want to get all CraftCrazy(I'm sure you do ), you can cover the whole thing in black felt, then put the colored felt of a thicker/thinner mm over that so it looks like each piece of color has a black boarder around it, almost like a stained glass wondow(or no boarder in between colored pieces if they're all close together). So you'll have the color and contrast with the black felt under it, plus its being layered with a thicker/thinner piece of felt, will probably give it more stability. You can cut the color felt with an exacto knife so the black shows under and make it look more like broom bristles, or glue little black slivers down to make it look like bristles. So many possibilities...
    This is all craft theory though lol who knows how it would look at the end!
    [​IMG]

6. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

What is a Montessori work? I googled it but idk if I found the right thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

It's an educational method of instruction. You can pm me for more details.

8. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

Montessori is an educational philosophy, it focuses on process not product... the easiest way to explain it is an artistic perspective of education and teaching.. Montessori was one of the first female MD's of her time in Italy, she taught children who were know as "unteachables", she is very interesting if you ever read about her and her educational phylosophy, it's based more for early childhood development but it's very interesting.

DeputyDonald likes this.
  9. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

so what does it mean to use that method to make a volcano out of felt?

10. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

When I'm back at school, I'll take a picture. Basically, I cut the shape of a volcano out of great felt. I cut lava tubes and vents from black felt. Then, I cut red felt for lava and other colors for different rock layers. The student builds the volcano using the felt pieces. Finally, the student labels it.

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  11. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

Update!!! I decided to try with the felt and some spray adhesive. Here's the process and results:

The first challenge was that the felt piece I bought was just a bit too small to cover the whole board in one piece. >.< But, I could use the remnants to finish the job, which was lucky. Second challenge was that nothing really writes well on black felt, so no tracing the pattern onto it. I solved this issue with a large piece of paper that I used as a stencil and then pinned to the felt to get the cutout. Overall, the whole thing went pretty smooth with the exception of the seam between the two pieces. The spray adhesive is really nice to work with, and allowed for fairly easy repositioning of the pieces to make sure everything lined up well. But, it left a bit of a white outline on the black felt, which I subsequently colored in with a black sharpie, and that ended up being more visible that I wanted. Ah well. Overall, I like the way it turned out, and I'll post some pics of it with pins and maybe even on the wall, soon! If you any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ajk and watzshakinbacon like this.
  12. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

Looks legit!! Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tokaji likes this.
  13. lynn99

lynn99 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    133   0   0

nice!

14. Booger1964

Booger1964 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    307   0   0

That came out very nice! Please show us what it looks like after you put your pins on it as well:)

15. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

Sorry this took so long, but here it is with pins!!!

[​IMG]

16. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

Sweet! And still plenty of room for more!

17. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

Looks awesome!!

Tokaji likes this.
  18. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

Thanks!

19. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

I need to shout out to some people who helped with this collection, too. I'm going to forget a bunch, so sorry, but feel free to chime in to remind me!

@MerlinEmrys for the Sorcerer's Apprentice topiary pin and the Chenabog spreading his wings and a few others I don't really remember
    @timeerkat for a great deal on the Upanova PTD
    The Cherna puzzle piece and the Cherna HM in the upper left came from zaps or trades from here as well that I don't remember... And the Sorcerer's Hat hinged pin was a part of the RAK (I really should write this stuff down...)

Thanks to everyone for helping make this great (and sorry I don't remember everyone >.<)!

timeerkat and MerlinEmrys like this.
  20. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    262   0   0

Looks great!

21. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    491   0   0

This looks awesome! :D

22. arielsdinglehopper

arielsdinglehopper Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

:O This is the coolest Corey!

Tokaji likes this.
  23. theoucharis

theoucharis Active Member

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0

Really cool looking board. Pins look great on it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

24. Booger1964

Booger1964 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    307   0   0

Great job!