• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Too good to be true??? Please help with an LE 1 AP pin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too good to be true??? Please help with an LE 1 AP pin!

Geoff

Almost >< A DPF Charter Member
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
OK, so, I have a chance to buy pins:

http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=70933
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=74387

On teh 'bay, BUT the ones I found for sale are supposedly the LE1 Artist Proofs of the pins, for sale for around $80 each. Here is my dilemma; the seller has a LOT, and I mean A LOT of very, very rare pins, including 30-40 A/P LE1s currently for sale and some of the rarest pins I have ever seen. Now, he has a perfect rating with over 9000 transactions. However, I just have a problem with one person having that many LE1s, APs, etc. without something being hinky. I saw some of his auctions before, and he had other things like 12 and 14 of the same LE 100 or LE 50, all very expensive and from large sets. Does this sound reasonable, or is it too out there, too good to be true? I would like to believe it is legit, but there are so many fakes out there...

I can tell you who he is or give you the link to the items in question, but only per the DPF guidelines in a private message if you really want to take a look. Please let me know what you think! Is there something I should look for, some sort of proof that would come with an LE1 A/P?

Well, I would say that he got them from the annual DS.com AP sale. However, I am not sure they are LE 1. I have a set of AP black/silver/gold and I am going to look to see if they say LE 1. I don't think they do. They do say AP.

This is interesting.

I'm sure they are probably real, but LE 1 is questionable. They could be LE 1 or more....but not much more. Maybe LE 4 or something like that.

What's happening is when the AP sale goes up the sellers buy FAAAARRRR more than their fair share. They buy so many that it is almost impossible for the average Joe to get any and then they slap them up on ebay at quadruple the price.

Thanks guys that makes a lot of sense. Yeah this guy has waaaaaaay too many good pins, and they do sit at BIN at outrageous prices for a very, very long time. He has over 200 AP pins for sale. A lot say LE1 and an equal amount say LE1. Basically, its frustrating to see someone do that. He has one of my grails (the Snow White "The Kiss" Masterpiece) and wants $500 for it! Is there any way around these guys? Where can I get these APs and other really good stuff when they come out for sale?

On a different note, maybe it's my naivete, but when APs are listed on Ebay, why isn't a picture of the backstamp showing the AP engraving available? Is it possible someone is obtaining regular pins and engraving them at home with the AP stamp?

To be honest, I've never even seen a pin with the AP backstamp. Can someone PM me a picture of one?

I do not believe there is only one of any Ap or PP
they (china factories) make many pins to send to Disney look at to decide on final runs
keep in mind that on the same day Lucan444 and Myself got Ap copies of the same pin
http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=82553&sid=6162.1296495189.v2

I understand there can be as many as 4 of each ap (black silver gold metals)
that makes up to 12 Ap pins.
I have seen at 10-10-10 2 sets of Disney store Ap mystery pins that were exactly the same 3 pins.
so only being one set of each released is not likely

or even more if changes are made.

All it takes is one person to pay that 500 for a pin to make it worth it.
supply and demand, what something is worth to someone is subjective, I can drive 6 to 7 hours roundtrip to WDW and buy stuff. someone in Idaho cannot.
In my craft business some extremely intensive projects I price high and give them considerable time before reducing. At some point it sells and I hope I make a decent wage for the handwork involved. same applies to any shop that has time on its side.

Keep it reasonable, you can always post wants here I have gotten more than a few of my Serious wants this way.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys. Any sort of ballpark time frame on AP sales? Or where could I go look to find out when they are happening? And jjgasman, you scare the crap outta me. Thats so true! For people like us that have never seen the back of an AP, who KNOWS what we are getting... I have an engraver myself and I know where to order custom steel stamp dies, so wow... The seller does differentiate between back colors, black vs. silver vs. gold, but thats about it. I think I need to find someone in*the park or let someone here post a pic of what the back of a real AP looks like before I start to buy them online.

I understand there can be as many as 4 of each ap (black silver gold metals)
that makes up to 12 Ap pins.
I have seen at 10-10-10 2 sets of Disney store Ap mystery pins that were exactly the same 3 pins.
so only being one set of each released is not likely

I have seen these for sale too, in sets of four. So I guess that they would not be LE1s at all, but LE4s at the most, and only if you separate them by backing color, right? Or could the seller claim it is an LE1 simply because each of the four is just ever so slightly different enough that each of the four is unique?

Last edited:
Funny, I was just having a conversation yesterday at the park with a couple of fellow traders and DPFers about this very thing - sellers stamping the AP themselves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back