• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Unpopular characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpopular characters
Is Duffy unpopular? I have a small collection of Duffy. I also collect Mickey and Minnie, who are obviously on lots of things but not super sought after I guess.

Is Duffy unpopular? I have a small collection of Duffy. I also collect Mickey and Minnie, who are obviously on lots of things but not super sought after I guess.

No, he's what I would call mildly popular. There's just a small segment of the Disney fans (usually "purists"- think Walt and Club 33 fans) that dislike the way he came into being. It's funny how some people can't just say, "there's something about this character I don't like", or "It's just not my groove", and instead have to flood the internet with their justifications and sneer at fans of the thing.

They're not usually pin traders, though- I usually hear it more on other Disney forums and at non-pin related events.

Duffy is not particularly popular in Paris or the US but very popular in Asia. In fact, I would guess he's the most commonly collected character among Japanese pin traders. I don't know how many times I've built up a page of Duffy & Friends pins only to have it cleaned out by a Japanese trader.

I feel like collectors of Mickey/Minnie are less intense about pursuing new pins because they have already decided they will never have every single Mickey/Minnie pin.

Duffy is not particularly popular in Paris or the US but very popular in Asia. In fact, I would guess he's the most commonly collected character among Japanese pin traders. I don't know how many times I've built up a page of Duffy & Friends pins only to have it cleaned out by a Japanese trader.

I feel like collectors of Mickey/Minnie are less intense about pursuing new pins because they have already decided they will never have every single Mickey/Minnie pin.

Gelatoni, where are you located? Hong Kong? It sounds like you're talking about in-person trading. If you are in Hong Kong, are there a lot of Japanese tourists who come over? I have the hardest time even finding Japanese traders.

I had a friend in Japan for a while who would swap stuff with me, and I know a few that come to the EPCOT event every year, but otherwise, it's so hard to find info on them. I even asked once if there was a board or forum in Japanese, just to see if I could pre-trade before going over, and I was basically told that there's no real "community" of traders in Japan, that they just all do their own thing. Do you find that to be true?

Oh, and I don't mean in-park/cast trading...I know the story behind that and all. I mean traders like all of us. :)

Gelatoni, where are you located? Hong Kong? It sounds like you're talking about in-person trading. If you are in Hong Kong, are there a lot of Japanese tourists who come over? I have the hardest time even finding Japanese traders.

I had a friend in Japan for a while who would swap stuff with me, and I know a few that come to the EPCOT event every year, but otherwise, it's so hard to find info on them. I even asked once if there was a board or forum in Japanese, just to see if I could pre-trade before going over, and I was basically told that there's no real "community" of traders in Japan, that they just all do their own thing. Do you find that to be true?

Oh, and I don't mean in-park/cast trading...I know the story behind that and all. I mean traders like all of us. :)

Yup. In Hong Kong. About 10% of Magic Access annual passes are held by Japanese citizens and they visit quite often.
I agree that they don't seem very well connected and many do the majority of their trading in Hong Kong. I guess the lack of regular LE releases and pin trading events makes it harder for them to connect in Japan so they tend to have Hong Kong contacts who then connect them to other traders in Japan and Shanghai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back