Updated Murder Game Rules

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by dancecats, Aug 16, 2012.

1. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Welcome to the rules and regulation section of the DSI Murder Game. If you have any questions about the game after reading here, please feel free to ask.

BASIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

The crime will have taken place before you enter the park. As detectives, you will have to follow the clues to figure out who the Murderer/Criminal is. The Murderer/Criminal will not be one of the characters chosen by you, the detectives. EVERYONE will be a DETECTIVE.

As detectives you have two tasks:

1)To follow the clues given by your host (me) to figure out where the murder/crime has taken place within the park. In other words, you have to find each crime scene before you can find clues.

2)To follow the clues left at the crime scenes to determine which Disney character is the murderer/criminal. The first clue will be given by me at the first crime scene. Any clue thereafter will be given by the victim. This clue will only be given when the crime scene has been found.

*If a victim is unable to give a clue within 24 hours, I or another assigned detective will give it

-Only one arrest is allowed between each murder. False arrests will be announced by management. I will then give a short period of time for the accused to share the character that was falsely accused. If it is not revealed in a timely fashion, then I will reveal it within the game. This is a changed rule to help the game process.

-The MURDERER/CRIMINAL will not be a character that is being played by one of the detectives.
    -All arrests should be made via my PM at the bottom of the page***
    -If a detective makes a false arrest, he/she will become the next murder victim
    -If a detective is murdered, he/she will become a ghost

OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES
    -Keep the action and fun going
    -Talk about who they think the Murderer/Criminal is and why

VIP GUESTS
    -Those wishing to become VIP guests after the game starts must email me for/regarding character assignment
    -VIP guests cannot make arrests and therefore are not eligible for the prize pin
    -The purpose of a VIP guest is to allow late comers to join the game and for people who will not be able to participate on a daily basis to come and go as schedules permit

**EVERYONE must check in at least once within 48 hours of the game start. Those who can not check in before this will automatically become VIP guests. (Exceptions can be made at host’s discretion)

-Remember this is a family site! Keep it clean and fun!!
    -All rules are subject to change to fit the game needs

GHOSTS are created when someone is murdered and allows players to continue playing in the game. Ghosts will not have magical powers unless their characters had powers while alive.

HOW MURDER VICTIMS WILL BE CHOSEN THROUGHOUT THE GAME

1) Detectives making false arrests will be murdered first

2) If no false arrests occur then we will fall back on the rule that I introduced: a minimum post count rule. I will post a required number of posts between murders/crimes. As long as you meet this minimum, then you will be safe. The number required and the amount of time you have will be clearly posted. NO SPAM posts will be counted - in order to count, a post must be in character and a minimum of three sentences; try to follow and help the game as much as possible.
    It would also be appreciated if you stick within the game story. Although I am a little flexible, if you go to far out of bounds, expect me to reel you in a bit.
    No only OOC (Out Of Character) posts will count. If more than one person doesn't meet the minimum rules, I will pull a name from a hat - although I reserve the right to kill all if Im in a particularly evil mood. Also back to back posts only count as 1 if there is no one else posted between.
    During ONE posting period, we will use a lowest post count rule which will be explained at that time.
    In addition, some periods will be a minimum post group post in which the group must meet the count or everyone will be in danger of death.
    Please also DO NOT play more than your character that you signed up with. I don't need a lot of extra characters to keep track of. I am flexible: for example, if you are playing King Louie, I don't mind an occasional appearance by his monkey minions to run an errand, but you shouldn't play Baloo and Kaa and Mowgli as a group. If you aren't sure, feel free to ask me.

* This situation creates a dilemna for all. If you guess too soon you may be murdered. If you don't participate you may be murdered

ADDITIONAL RULE
    Throughout the game I will ask trivia questions about random Disneyana or the park we are in. The first detective that POSTS the correct answer to a park-based trivia question will be allowed to ask me one YES/NO question about the murderer. ALL QUESTIONS must be asked in the game (no more secret questions). Questions must be asked within 24 hours of notification that the answer is correct. I will then post the answer in the game for all to see. Unfortunately this rule change came about because of an incident in a prior game.

The first detective that POSTS the correct answer to a Disneyana-based trivia question will be allowed to ask the Cheshire Cat a question about the murderer. These questions do NOT need to be YES/NO questions as they will be asked in the game (preferably in character by the players who win the right to ask them) - and please keep in mind when phrasing your questions that they definitely will be answered in character by the Cheshire Cat. Also consider that the Cheshire Cat is NOT the host; Cheshire knows quite a bit of what is going on, but he may not know everything - and he may not choose to tell you everything he knows - so be very careful when you phrase these questions. They can be a tremendous help or an enormous waste of an opportunity - your choice. The player who answers the trivia correctly will get an opportunity to ask the Cheshire Cat his/her question during the Cat’s next appearance in the game following confirmation that he/she posted the correct answer.

HOW DO YOU WIN THE PRIZE PIN?

1)You must be a registered detective

2)You cannot be a VIP guest or a ghost

3) You must be the FIRST detective to PM me the correct identity of the murderer/criminal

** 72 hour rule*** If at any time during the game any character goes 72 hours straight without at least 1 post, I reserve the right to either change that player to VIP status or kill off that character, depending on the needs of the game. Everyone should be able to post at least one time every 72 hours.

Within the games I request but not require that you keep your logos to a minimum, although I HIGHLY encourage pictures if they enhance the story. For example, if we are in EPCOT and you have a great picture, then I encourage you to post it.

Characters will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. However some characters may not be available from game to game. I will list those characters before each signup.

RANKS/PROMOTIONS AND DEMOTIONS

I believe that I have sorted this system (for the time being at least), but as it hasn't been tested, I would consider it a work in progress and still subject to revisions so once again, I ask for your patience. In revising the system of promotions and demotions, it ended up going from three levels of player (excluding the host's rank of Chief of Police) to nine levels of rank, several of which I don't anticipate seeing attained for quite a while, if ever.

The DSI rank model from highest to lowest is:
    Chief of Police (host only)
    Superintendent
    Deputy Superintendent
    Inspector
    Deputy Inspector
    Captain
    Lieutenant
    Sergeant
    Detective
    Rookie

Players with no game experience start out as Rookies. As I anticipated, this remains unchanged. Players will remain Rookies for at least one game (their first), but if they choose, they may remain rookies for a few games, until they feel more comfortable/completely comfortable with the game, when they will be promoted to Detective. The only exception to this rule will be if a Rookie makes the arrest; in this case, the Rookie automatically becomes a Deputy Inspector.

Players with game experience but who haven't won a game will be categorized as Detectives, Sergeants, Lieutenants, and Captains. Promotion between these ranks will be at the Chief's discretion and will be based upon several factors, including but not limited to number of games completed (likely will require a minimum of 3 games between promotions, but won't be the sole factor for promotion), quality of game participation, presence/absence of false arrests, etc. A successful arrest at any of these levels automatically promotes the player to the level of Deputy Inspector.

If you are a current Inspector (you have made a correct arrest), you will have a slight titular change to Deputy Inspector. The rank itself hasn't changed, just the title. This is NOT a demotion, it just allows for the establishment of the promotion system.

Once a Deputy Inspector makes three successful arrests (not necessarily in consecutive games, just with no false arrests in between successful ones), he/she will receive a promotion to Inspector. An Inspector who makes three successful arrests (not necessarily in consecutive games, again, without false arrests) will receive a promotion to Deputy Superintendent. A Deputy Superintendent who makes three successful arrests (again without false arrests) receives a promotion to Superintendent.

If you make a false arrest, the consequences probably will look something like this, depending upon where you are in the hierarchy (for lack of a better term):

Superintendent (with 1+ additional arrests): loss of credit for those arrests
    Superintendent (just promoted, no additional arrests): loss of Superintendent status, back to Deputy Superintendent status

Deputy Superintendent (with 1-2 additional arrests): loss of credit for those arrests, have to start promotion count over
    Deputy Superintendent (just promoted, no additional arrests): loss of Deputy Superintendent status, back to
    Inspector status

Inspector (with 1-2 additional arrests): loss of credit for those arrests, have to start promotion count over
    Inspector (just promoted, no additional arrests): loss of Inspector status, back to Deputy Inspector status

Deputy Inspector (with 1-2 additional arrests): loss of credit for those arrests, have to start promotion count over
    Deputy Inspector (just promoted, not additional arrests): loss of Deputy Inspector Status, back to Captain status

Captain: 3 false arrests; reduction to Lieutenant status, which might be easier to earn back than a correct arrest
    Lieutenant: 3 false arrests; reduction to Sergeant status, which might be easier to earn back than a correct arrest
    Sergeant: 3 false arrests; reduction to Detective status, which might be easier to earn back than a correct arrest
    Detective: 3 false arrests; probably no consequences at this time (it may change, but I really can't see bringing experienced players back to Rookie status)

Rookie: No consequences, really can't go much lower than that

*Finally if you know anyone who didn't sign up last game, but wants to play please let them know about the signup.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. caligirlUCR

caligirlUCR Active Member

Rating - 99.2%
    234   2   1

Yay - I get to keep my Inspector Title :0)

3. Vixy

Vixy The Girl That's Never Been

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

Just checking I'm reading it right-- you want us to be speculating in character about who the murderer is? I just ask because I'm reading the last one through, and NOBODY did this, that I've seen...

4. tokyodisneydad

tokyodisneydad Active Member

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Just to comment on this ...I feel that based on the situation the characters were put in last game, everyone did wonderful posting in character. Remember that none of these characters are normally involved in a murder investigation.

5. TheGrimGrinner

TheGrimGrinner Mortals pay a token fee DPF Charter Member

Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0

The conversation typically involved talking about clues and what they mean. Some people will list all the clues they have to confirm what they have, and also to remind others. I'd say the conversation starts to get a lot more tight knit and private as the game goes on, and the possibilities of a criminal gets smaller. Every one wants to win for themselves! Though... I usually talk things through with Stef, guess I'm going to have to use Wally this time! Haha...

6. tokyodisneydad

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Lol...thats what Im here for

7. Vixy

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

Oh no, I'm so sorry! Let me clarify-- I didn't mean that they failed at posting in character, that part was GREAT and I LOVED reading what everyone did with it!

I meant that I didn't see anyone discussing who they think the murderer is. So I got the impression we were supposed to keep our theories secret unless we PM an arrest.

8. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I remember talking about the clues and speculating who it "could" be, but as with clue you try to find out first who is eliminated from the suspect list. And as Grim said, you're not actively going to say who you think the murderer is when you have 35 people also trying to win, not to mention that could technically constitute a false arrest.

9. Vixy

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

That's exactly what I was wondering/confused about-- whether you should refrain from actually saying names of who you suspect, in case it's a false arrest.

Again I'm REALLY sorry that it sounded like I was saying people weren't good in character! I'm kind of mortified; that wasn't what I meant at ALL. Reading all the awesome character interactions from last time is what made me want to play the game in the first place!

10. tokyodisneydad

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Its up to U if U use names directly or not. It would not be a false arrest unless U PM that name directly to the host...in this case Stef...

Also really glad U have joined.

11. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Sorry my bad lol. Glad you joineed too.

12. frozenlanterns

frozenlanterns Active Member

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I've read this through a lot and still don't understand. What is the goal?

13. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Think of this as a more complex, more in depth version of the board-game Clue, just Disney style with a prize pin given to the winner. Ultimately, you take on the role of detective(misc Disney Character) who tries to find out who the killer/perpetrator is. As the game progresses, the host will give players crime scenes and other locations to investigate. Clues found in the game will either confirm or disprove the killer's identity. It's up to the players to fully investigate the crime scenes; some clues, even in plain site, can be overlooked and prolong the game. Similar to the new rules of Clue, if you fail to post accordingly or falsely accuse someone, your character will be killed and become a ghost.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. uptownbabe

uptownbabe Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Can I join? Do we get to pick our own characters?

15. frozenlanterns

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

How do the clues come about? Do the players acting as characters just come in and give a clue? Also,do the characters know who the killer is if they aren't the ones guessing?

16. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

While the past game just ended a couple of months ago, the upcoming game may start either next month or after the new year due to current host's schedule. There will be a sign-up thread, generally its first come first with some exceptions.
    The host will either present the clues as the chief or CSI lab but in most cases send the primary clue to a random player to post in character.
    EX) Chief/Host posts that he/she has received a call regarding there is a disturbance at a random location, the host meanwhile pm's player 1 to post that he/she's found a clue after a body is discovered. The other players go to location and discover body, player 1 posts clue that he/she was pm'd.

That doesn't account for hidden clues that may pop up as well; Stef was very clever posting hidden clues as vague as possible such a CM character named for the voice actor of the killer. Only the Host will know who is the killer at the beginning of the game; no players, even VIP players, will know and it will be up to the detectives to solve who dunnit. To simplify it further, think of this as a giant game of "Guess Who;" you'll be knocking off characters off your list based on the clues given in game until a player can deduce who it is.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  17. frozenlanterns

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Thank you so much! I think I get it now. That comparison to "Guess Who" helped, too, since I have a Disney version that I got a few years ago, and I spent hours of my day playing it. :)

18. tokyodisneydad

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Wanted to give this a bump to the top as I know a new game will come soon.

19. Vixy

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

:Cheshire:

20. PinHunters

PinHunters Active Member

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

Wow. read most of the game (so many pages! so many great interactions and an amazing game!!) :bowdown:

21. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Rules have been updated with a new version of the promotion system - be sure to check it out and figure out what your (new) rank might be. :)

22. frozenlanterns

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I would like to join the next game (assuming there will be one). Would this game be completely new game with new character identities or will previous participants be entitled to their former character identities?

Also, I have never played before. I would be a Rookie, correct?

23. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I'm excited to play as deputy inspector, though as my previous avatar is still undecided. I think only inspector classes and seasoned veterans are able to retain the character of their choice, otherwise it should be fair game...

24. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

And yes, since you haven't played before you will automatically start out as a rookie...

25. Vixy

Rating - 100%
    251   0   0

Oh oh oh! New game? Are we signing up? I would like to play as Diablo again please!