• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Very New To This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very New To This!

PrincessDreamerxo

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello :)

I'm super new to all this, been thinking about it for a while but have decided I want to start collecting :)
I'm still in the stage of even deciding what kind of pins I want to collect.

I wondered if anyone had any tips about starting out? Or how you decided which pins you wanted to collect?

Thanks!
PrincessDreamerxo

Hello and welcome to DPF! :D

I collect pins from my favourite films (Lion King and Lady and The Tramp) and I found looking on Pinpics helped, as I could see what films had what pins :)

Welcome to DPF. I think most of us collect something that sparks a positive emotion in us. Be it a fond memory from yesteryear or a significant event that had an impact on your life.

I would try to read and educate yourself as much as you can about this hobby. It is not all pleasant, with sharks in the waters. At some pint you are going to have to decide what type of collector you are going to be. This hobby can be quite expensive if you are going after very popular and low LE (Limited Edition) pins. I personally found the most joy at the parks trading with CM's before all the scrappers showed up on their lanyards, and I am older.

Depending on what area of the country you live in there are Pin Trading events that people set up. This is a good way to see a wide variety of pins and their associated costs.

Good luck with the hobby and read, read, read.

Hi and welcome to DPF,

as everyone has said favorite movies or favorite attractions, trading on here is a lot of fun but trading abroad can be expensive (postage) but is fun waiting for packages, depends how much you want to spend on this hobby again, and be warned it is addictive :) Also for traders buy from disney, either online or parks is your safest bet or buying here whilst you get to know the pitfalls of buying not so legit pins ....... But most of all have fun and get to know people

Hi and welcome to DPF! For me, I was certain that I would not get into pin collecting/trading. Then, during Star Wars Weekends this year, I picked up the annual passholder SWW pin and the Mickey in an X-Wing pin, and insisted that those would be the only two pins I'd get, as I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I put the pins on the strap of my camera bag and figured that would be the end of it. Then the Olaf "chillin'" postcard pin came out, and I just had to get it. But it sat too high on my camera bag's strap, so the back of it was kind of digging into my lower ribs, so I decided to get a lanyard. Well, the lanyard looked too empty, so I decided to get a couple of more pins, and well... here I am LOL! I've found the pins to be a great conversation starter with other guests as well as CM's, and I've quickly become addicted to pins. I seriously have to make a decision on what series, movies or characters I want to stick too soon, though, as I'm kind of all over the place in what I've been buying so far. It's both a blessing and a curse living so close to WDW and being a passholder, as I love going to the parks every weekend, but now I can't seem to leave without picking up a couple of new pins each week!

Anyhow, welcome to a very addictive hobby, and a very friendly, helpful forum!
-George

Welcome!

And hmm... deciding on a collection can be both the most exciting and the most difficult part of any collector's journey. I'd suggest perusing PinPics.com, and just see which ones you like! A theme will emerge soon enough. :) Best of luck and I hope you have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back