WDW Animation Celebration Event - Who's going?

Discussion in 'Pin Trading Gatherings' started by swscref, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maiarebecca

maiarebecca Active Member

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

I may not have mentioned this before but I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!! You guys give a daily count but I text my friends randomly with an hours and minute count till registration opens! Lololololol

TheMickeyMouseRules and Ajk like this.
  2. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

I'm excited to see what the event pins are and what pins people pull from the boards. :p

3. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

I like that one... 4 more days until first event pins are revealed!

slbrabham likes this.
  4. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

4 more days till Maleficent softserve cones! (I’m very food motivated)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  5. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

It took a couple hours of refreshing, but I was able to figure out my Dad has quite a few CM pins on your wants list and you have some stuff he wants (and stuff I want). So we definitely need to try and hook up so we can see each other's pins in person.

Ajk likes this.
  6. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

I’m excited for you guys!!

I thought I wouldn’t have been able to make it this year cuz it’d be too early for me to ask for some days off after just starting my job. I can’t wait to hear next year’s theme and see if I can go again!

Plz post lots of pics!! Also if you’ve never been to Epcot (last Pin event was my first time at wdw), go check out the French and Moroccan restaurants! So good (and relatively close to the event space)!!!

7. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

Sweet! Definitely!

8. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

Like last year, I plan on taking a ton of pics of the preview boards, and posting them on my Flickr account. I may be able to get some uploaded via my phone quickly. But I'll take better ones with the big camera and upload them in the evening.

bookhugger likes this.
  9. poohkat53

poohkat53 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Looking forward to seeing your photos. Thank you for doing this especially for those of us that can not make it.

10. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

Just 3 more days till I do some possible trading with @hopemax (and others)!

11. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Ajk, nateeter, MerlinEmrys and 2 others like this.
  12. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

Y’all a bunch of over achievers. I think I’ll be lucky to make any trades outside of the boards. :p

At least there are cupcakes to be had!

13. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

If anyone pulls Halloween AP or PP pins from the board, seek me out for a trade please.

nateeter likes this.
  14. cadien

cadien Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

How do the trading boards work? I've read a few blog posts on last year but I'm still fuzzy on that part.

Not going. Just curious.

15. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

You get vouchers on your event ID (4 per day) and then you go stand in one of the pin board lines for about 1 - 1.5 hours each. If you get lucky, they refresh a board right before you get to it. If not, the selection usually stinks. Best to try and trade in line if you want to wait for the boards all day.

16. cadien

cadien Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

But what is on the board and who do you trade with for it?

17. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

Some boards are large and some are small. The small ones usually provide you the option of choosing one of many provided and they are hidden (like in a box) from you until you pick one and it's time to trade. At least these are the types I've encountered. Disney loads these boards with their own pins and they can contain anywhere from roughly 20-100+ pins, official release, AP and PP. You are allowed to trade two pins per board visit and you hand them to a Disney employee when you walk up and give them your voucher. They then give you two minutes to complete the trade or they will return your pins and send you on your way. The downside is, if the boards don't get refreshed too often, they may be picked over by the time you go up and you are left with what everyone else didn't want or what they traded Disney. Believe it or not, there are those that trade counterfeits and most employees are educated enough to catch them.

cadien likes this.
  18. maiarebecca

maiarebecca Active Member

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

Oh I had imagined they would all be open view. If you trade at the small board is it like trading for a mystery pin? That sounds so stressful if it could end up being just junk other people have put up.

19. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

It's a mystery until they open the lid and say "Go". For this reason, these lines are usually much shorter because people avoid them. I have run into that exact situation where there was nothing but junk to trade for.

20. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

It was 50/50 as to whether I pulled junk off the trading board or a 'good' pin. Last year I maybe pulled 1 or 2 pins which fit my collection. Many times I end up pulling pins that I hope will re-trade well. Last year I would say I did pull quite a few pins which were APs or PPs... probably over 50% of them. Some pins that I pulled:
    1) Minnie present PWP pin from holiday gift card in ~2016 (LR...?). AP
    2) Chaser from Alice Through the Looking Glass movie mystery set (LE 600). AP
    3) Dole whip from park icons mystery set (OE). AP
    4) Star Wars D23 Hoth pin (LE 250). AP
    5) PoftheC anniversary hinged pin, purple (LE 2000). AP
    6) Square Mickey Mouse picture in gold frame (LE1000).
    7) Zazu OE pin. (think this may have been someone else board trader.)

For the pins that were not worth much (from the boards) I cannot recall them very well, so the list above probably looks more AP heavy than it actually was.

21. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

I had better luck in the lines with some of the smaller boards, than the line with the huge boards. We did one of those first and I got 2 AP pins for the Animated Films mystery set, both Beauty and the Beast. But it had been 8 years since I had been to a pin event, and I wasn't happy with the rest of the board. At past events they had a lot of HM pins on the board, which if we couldn't find a large pin, we could get authentic HM pins that had eluded us. But the board last year, was half empty. It made it easier to see the better pins, but they disappeared faster leaving only fakes. But the lines for the big boards are super long, so it's even more disappointing when you walk away with nothing.

On the smaller ones, there was one that had like 8 pots. So if you kept an eye on what pot several people were going to, you knew to avoid that pot. Sometimes we missed the refresh and had a poor choice. But usually there were still good choices left. I got several Park Pack pins (Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress and Pirates I think) plus some that I REALLY wanted. If anyone ends up with AP Resort Holiday pins (last year was presents) I would love to trade. I also got most of the Grins Mystery set in AP form.

22. pilcrow

pilcrow

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I can’t make it this year, but I was one of those people worried about the pin boards...and honestly, I have pulled APs every year I have gone. Not necessarily exciting APs (although there were a couple!) and I also pull scrappers every year, but it isn’t as bad as it sounds. You cannot see the fronts of any of the boards from the lines. Just keep track of time and bring traders to trade in line!

Also, a request for those going—if possible, can someone please take photos of the silent auction items? Some years it is hard to figure out what was there. Let me live vicariously please lol. It is so interesting to see what Disney brings out (and sometimes how old it is...)

23. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    91   0   0

Ah, good reminder on the Park Pack pins being on the boards!

So in addition to my looking to trade for Wonderland AP or PP pins if anyone pulls them, if anyone finds any of the five regular Park Pack pins that I'm missing on the boards (see my sig, but basically the center frames with Alice, Queen of Hearts and the Tweedles, the Cheshire cat with the teal tree and purple background, or the falling Alice with green background/wall and yellow clock), I'm looking to trade for them and plan to be at the public trading day on Sunday though not at the event itself (although I should be in Epcot on Friday if anyone wanted to meet up after to trade)! Since the center ones have been faked, I'm not looking to trade for those pins unless you got them directly off the boards (aka from Disney) or purchased in a Park Pack yourself. But I'm still looking for all five so I can finally complete that set! :)

24. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I'm always on the look out for AP/PP pins. ;)

Also still don't know my work schedule, but if I have the time off I can't wait to see everyone!

25. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

I've only gone to two pin events -2016 (Pixar Party) and 2017 (Love is an Adventure). I thought the board pins were better last year than the previous year, but I still got a few that were trades for a different board.

However, I managed to trade for 5 IaSW AP pins from the LE 100 50th anniversary frame and a couple of pins from the mystery set that I liked. You like IaSW so hopefully there may be more from those sets. Also, I saw several AP pins from the previous event's mystery set both in 2016 and 2017 on the boards. For example, I got the Donald quote pin from Generation D on a board and it was an AP in 2016. I got a chaser from the Pixar Party mystery set last year. Also, they had several chaser pins from different mystery pin sets which were fun to find. I've pulled Park Pack pins like others have said. I even pulled two WDI pins from a small board. I saw lots of Star Wars pins and some pieces of history pins on several boards last year but didn't pull them. Also, some boards may not have anything really good and it's blah pins. Hopefully, everyone won't have any of those boards.

The boards are like the ultimate mystery blind bags. You never know what is up there until you are trading. It's exciting thinking of the possibilities. Good luck and have fun.

I am already missing it this year and can't wait for next year. Have lots of fun and share those fabulous pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.