• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

WDW & DLR Hidden Mickey 2011 lists for wave 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang - you guys at DLR got all the GREAT (not just good) pins. Now I have to trade, beg, buy, or (I don't know) these pins. Anyone in CA want to help a poor little FLA pin trader??? I'll provide WDW pins - send you money - just please help me get these pins.

We're at the parks pretty much every weekend, so I'll start collecting these as I see them...PM me if there are certain ones that you really want, and I'll keep my eye out for them!

Some close-ups and a look at chasers!

From the Disney Parks blog:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/01/new-hidden-mickey-pins-for-walt-disney-world-resort/New Hidden Mickey Pins for Walt Disney World Resort

posted on January 20th, 2011 by http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/01/new-hidden-mickey-pins-for-walt-disney-world-resort/Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

I recently gave you a sneak preview of the 2011 Hidden Mickey pins for Disneyland Resort. Now it is time to turn the spotlight on Walt Disney World Resort. I’ve been involved with the development of the Florida pins since 2004. Again, it is bittersweet that this will be my final collection (yet I had lots of fun with the designs). Don’t worry, Julie Young, one of our pin developers, will assume development of the 2012 collections. Like the Disneyland Resort collection, there will be two different waves of about 30 pins each.

The image at the top of this article is one of my favorite collections (besides the boot from Horizons that I showed in the recent EPCOT Center blog post). The artwork came from the 33 ½-long playing record I have featuring the Orange Bird. Like many of you, I love the Orange Bird! This collection seemed like the perfect fit to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort. My favorite pin – the Orange Bird relaxing in the sun (ah, how I wish I was on the sands at Disney’s Polynesian Resort right now enjoying a Dole Whip).

Speaking of the 40th Anniversary, another wave one series features Disney characters in the classic Disney “D.†The artwork for this series was originally created for a mystery pin collection. I commandeered the artwork from Julie (Shhh! Please don’t tell her). The second wave of Hidden Mickey pins coming later this year will feature different characters that complement the first wave pictured above.

I was inspired for the series pictured above after walking through Serka Zong Bazaar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The location had several tee-shirts with artwork called “cute yeti.†I immediately thought they would make great pins – come on, he is super adorable! My favorite pin is “scary yeti†(though I don’t know how something so cute can be that scary).

One new thing this year is having “chaser†pins in the Hidden Mickey pin series for Florida. I would have done the same for California but I instead created the alphabet series. We have featured chaser pins in various retail pin sets during the past few years. Basically, there will be a select number of “chaser†pins in wave one. There will not be a chaser pin for every style; I only selected a handful of designs. You’ll immediately recognize them as they will be silver colored. I can’t say how many chaser pins were created for each of the designs selected. I can say they will be slightly rarer. So if you find one, you can do the “happy pin dance†(I can show you those moves later).

Again, look for these pins coming to Cast Members’ lanyards in Florida in late January/early February. Happy Trading!

I love how Steven Miller's posts are just so damn sincere. I haven't been around long, but it's so obvious that pin trading and his role in design really meant something special and important to him. You read the content he produces, and then read the last few What's HapPINning blog entries, and it's like day and night. It's a real shame he won't be as involved as he was previously. Hopefully the transition to his new position involved a bunch of money and was worthwhile for him, as opposed to being something that he was just kind of forced into.

Lucan444, Thanks for your post! Now I finally know what those World of Color fountain pins are! I got two off of cast members on Wednesday but had no idea what they were. I better get back there soon in hopes of getting the rest :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back