WDW MOG store experience 6/9/18

Discussion in 'Event Coverage' started by figment919, Jun 8, 2018.

1. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    127   0   0

Just an FYI, CM's were allowed to go to the MOG store TODAY (6/8/18), the day before the D23 event, rather than the day AFTER, as was done in the past. 900am - 300pm. SO who knows what will be left tomorrow. Hopefully they limited what was put out so everyone has a chance to get the pins.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2018
  2. cyke23

cyke23 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0

Hey Mike! The end of Star Wars Weekends still makes me sad. Anyways, hope your villains collection has been growing. Good luck tomorrow!

3. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

Yup. Rumor has it that 75 were sold yesterday to the executives, 125 were put up today for CMs, which means for a LE250, only 50 are left for the people that have the first time slot.

4. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    127   0   0

I heard from CM friends that there were practically no pins left on the hooks by 200/230pm yesterday. If the numbers that Starry stated above are true there are going to be some pretty angry collectors there today - including me. I will hold off judgement until I get back I have the 1100-noon time slot.

5. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

Many are speculating that by the 11 am slot, all pins will be sold out.

6. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

7. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    127   0   0

I got into the MOG store at 1100AM and the ONLY pin left was "Home on the Range", sorry!! I had a verbal argument with the MOG manager but that's for another time and place.

8. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

That is pretty ridiculous! I'm so sorry!

9. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    127   0   0

So I attended the MOG store event at WDW today and this is what transpired.

I had the 1100am-noon time slot to shop in the store. The MOG store opened today to D23 Gold members at 900AM as the first shopping time slot. What’s important to note is that this was billed as a D23 Gold Member event, and you pay about $105 per year for the family membership. I get into the store and the ONLY “Character Cluster” pin left is “Home on the Range” – WHAT!!

There were about 20 pins released at the Event, LE 250, and 2 hours into the Event open to ONLY D23 Gold Members this is all that’s left?? I asked to speak to the MOG Manager and this is what I was told – “We had Imagineers in on Thursday. Cast Members in on Friday, and everyone had an EQUAL opportunity to get the pins”. Wait a minute - if this is a D23 sponsored event (read paid for by a D23 member) why isn’t the Imagineer day and CM day AFTER the Event rather than BEFORE it??? That’s the way it has been done in the past and I have attended ALL D23 events for the past few years in WDW!

The Manager is looking past me and giving me the line about how this is not like the November D23 Events in WDW – all the while not looking me in the eye at all. I told her that what the heck does the November events have to do with what is happening here today, and as a professional, please look at me when you are talking to me. One of the most unprofessional people I have ever dealt with and this is after working on Wall Street for 25 years.

Ergo, already the pins are up on all of the Auction sites for 6x what they cost. I hope Disney is going after the CM’s that are doing this – not a lot of hope for the pure Pin Collector.

DeputyDonald and Connies_Hobby like this.
  10. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

I have a few questions about the MOG pop up shop sale today. Any answers are much appreciated. I'm not a D23 member, but I'd like to know more.

Was this a D23 event like Destination D in the fall or was it only the MOG shop?

Did D23 members need to pay extra to attend the sale?

Was this advertised as something for cast members and D23 members?

If it was the MOG shop only, how is this sale different than previous sales?

How did members obtain a time slot?

Thank you for any information.

11. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

Really sorry to hear that, and your points certainly seem valid (although I am sure cast members have a different view :)). As I mentioned in another thread, I’m glad I didn’t come to the event as I would have likely ended up in the same boat and been pretty pissed. And it is hard for me to envision why I would want to join d23 in the future if this is what it (doesn’t) gets me.

12. LittleBird

LittleBird Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    142   0   0

Here is the information that was provided when the event was announced, for your (and other people's) reference:

OVERVIEW

New this year, guests will be admitted to the Mickey’s of Glendale pop-up shop based on a limited number of one-hour shopping windows. Based on availability, D23 Gold and Gold Family Members have the opportunity to sign up for a single one-hour window.

DETAILS

Walt Disney Imagineering is thrilled to extend the invitation to D23 Gold and Gold Family Members to shop at Mickey’s of Glendale at a special pop-up shop at Disney’s Contemporary Resort!

New for 2018, all guests must register for complimentary one-hour shopping windows.Guests will not be admitted to the pop-up store outside of their confirmed window, or allowed to queue any earlier than 45 minutes before their scheduled time.

The shopping windows are as follows:
    9–10 a.m.
    10–11 a.m.
    11 a.m.–12 p.m.
    12–1 p.m.
    1–2 p.m.
    2–3 p.m.

13. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    127   0   0

AJK - I am sure that some CM's have a different view. I have no problem with CM's getting into the store, even as non-D23 members, but do it AFTER the paid folks get a shot. Plus, having the MOG come to the East Coast is the only way for us East Coast traders to get something of similar LE value to go against the DSSH/WDI releases out West. Even with the "Pin Event" here in Florida most of the lower pins are still LE 300.

A CM friend told me the line for the MOG store yesterday, Friday, was at least 300/400 CM's at the opening.

14. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

Was this a D23 event like Destination D in the fall or was it only the MOG shop?
    Just a shop.

Did D23 members need to pay extra to attend the sale?
    No, as long as they are gold members.

Was this advertised as something for cast members and D23 members?
    Advertised for D23 members for shopping for today (6/9). Advertised for CM's last week for yesterday (6/8)

If it was the MOG shop only, how is this sale different than previous sales?
    D23 members had to sign up in advance and pick a one-hour time slot to shop. Also, in past years, CMs shopped after D23 members.

How did members obtain a time slot?
    Online.

slbrabham likes this.
  15. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Thank you!

16. cadien

cadien Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

They release enough limited edition pins that it seems they could make the FL CM event and the D23 event two completely separate things at completely separate times. Rather than just alternating which group completely misses out each year.

Arendelle likes this.
  17. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Yes, why disappoint 1/2 of the customers.

18. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

Cuz it's Disney :D

19. PRCYR04

PRCYR04 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0

Boicot WDI pins!

20. Moonie

Moonie Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

DLR cast member who has attended 3 MOG releases. I am really happy WDW CMs got to have this opportunity because SoCal has been completely hogging the fancy super exclusive pins lately. Its unfair to see someone with the exact same job on you on the opposite coast get the opportunity for pins you’ll never get to see. I also don’t think it’s necessarily a good idea to have them go last, because that’s not even a perk at that point - that’s being punished for not paying extra to a company you already work for, y’know? Like you’re telling CMs that they should be d23 members in addition to working - while again, us in SoCal get these pins (relatively) easy!

However. They should have been two separate events. Heroine surprise bags? Totally fair as a cast member exclusive, and a great idea. But all the clusters and the others being sold out before most of the people who actually paid for the event.... yes, completely unfair. Even if their intention was just to keep the pins secret so no one could claim “false advertisement”, and even if there were no leaks, people would absolutely find out eventually.

Purplemandms likes this.
  21. bretu

bretu Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I did not attend the Event. I tried for 9am slot and by the time I got back in the time was up. Someone must have been looking out for me. The problem was many people came from california. I was told by a person who had the 9am slot that they estimated 80% california. She knows everyone it seams and I believe her. She also told me many cast members from california were present both days. Many people went both days, I have been lucky in the past so every dog gets his day. Unfair to cast members here and D23 members here. I would suggest if you are a WDW cast member you get someone to sponsor you to cali when they release the Hero Profile pins. Fair play.

1313Harbor likes this.
  22. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I'm not surprised that CA CMs went both days.

DeputyDonald likes this.
  23. this_and_that

this_and_that Active Member

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0

What was unfair was that D23 Event attendees lost out on having 1st opportunities to acquire new MoG releases brought to WDW specifically for a D23 Event.

What was unfair to the WDW CMs was that MoG in CA repeatedly chose to release each Heroine set in the store on their Burbank campus instead of on The Hub.

TheMickeyMouseRules and cyke23 like this.
  24. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    507   0   0

Neither am I. At first I was surprised to see how many were for sale, but I figured out CA had something to do with it. :)

BTW, in case anyone has good pictures of these pins off the cards (or on) but out of the plastic, I would really appreciate them for PTDB!

25. bretu

bretu Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

A friend got my wife the Alice window pin set and it is Huge and wonderful. Some of the nicest pins I have seen in years. 5 pin set but with the windows like a 10 pin set.