WDW MOG store experience 6/9/18

Discussion in 'Event Coverage' started by figment919, Jun 8, 2018.

1. this_and_that

this_and_that Active Member

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Imagine how differently things might have been at the D23 Event if the MoG management had only made just - one - of the following smart decisions:

(a) over the past 7 months, just initially released each set of Heroines on The Hub

(b) warned CA CMs in advance that they would not be allowed to participate in the CM shopping day, and then enforced this

(c) warned FL CMs in advance that, if the had registered for the D23 Event, that they would not be allowed to participate in the CM shopping day, and then enforced this

2. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    100   0   0

@figment919 thank you for posting your experience; and I say "Well Done" for bringing the lack of eye contact to her attention.

In fairness to the CM's that work these events; it is over the top stressful for them, this I have NO doubt.

Disney Special Events should be contacted as well as the VP of D23. He is located at the WDI location in Glendale. I have wrote them before. I believe the VP has changed since I last wrote to him; but I do have the address (if anyone wants it). Remember everyone, a well-worded, one page letter can have a major impact. I speak from experience when it comes to this with Disneyland and D23.

3. bretu

bretu Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I agree with this_and_that They could have released 8 Clusters and Alice Windows , and the next day 8 Clusters and Alice was still there. Cast members in the Know Knew they were having a shopping day before the D23 signup. They are light years ahead of us on the east coast.

4. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

Spot on with your potential 'smart decisions'... can you apply for WDI VP, special events or whatever the position is that makes these decisions for Disney? :)

I truly do not understand why they would hold this event, advertise it and then not make sure everyone had a fair shake at the pins. (and I know others say "this is just Disney", but this is not adequate, I think Disney should be more than that.)

Disney cast members have told me they could be fired for reselling pins... is this not true anymore? Or perhaps that is why someone showed up to the recent DSSH Cursive Cuties with a 'box for of Heroines" for trade... sort of a way to launder the WDI pins, by turning them into DSSH pins which are not under the perusal of Disney... but Ghirardelli? Then they could sell the DSSH pins without fear for their job on the auction site?

5. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

I am starting to get a bit discouraged with the amount of effort to obtain these higher end pins. I refuse to pay obscene after market prices and I wish others would do so as well... and then resellers would not have the motivation to buy as many as possible just to jack up the price. Its supply and demand, people! We may not control the supply, but we can control our demand for the pins. I would love to start a campaign to discourage the purchase of any obscenely priced pins. If the suppliers cannot sell these pins, they will be burned and stop buying them.

Finally: It is totally on Disney that they continue to release pins in a way that allows for an obscene price mark up. It erodes their true customer base on an ongoing basis. Disney is making a conscious decision to allow abuse if they do not take corrective action to attempt to get pins at cost into the hands of their loyal collectors. Happiest place on earth?... not really... (for pin traders.)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  6. cadien

cadien Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

One challenge I've noticed on FB is that there's such a wide range of opinions of what qualifies as 'obscenely priced.' Some of the loudest voices are saying there's never a justification for charging double the retail price, and that's never going to fly. It just distracts from a productive conversation.

7. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

I am not a facebooker (I refuse on principal to engage on any significant level with FB), so don't know much about this part of the pin world. Seems double retail is reasonable, since I understand WDI pins are not even priced close to double in 2nd market. (I don't pay a lot of attention to 2nd market pricing, since I won't pay it.)

This hobby is about trading. If I make the effort to obtain a pin... I would like to trade for a pin of equivalent value. And this would typically mean the other trader made a similar effort to obtain their good trader. So not only are we trading our pins, we are trading our effort. If I sell my pin, I always lose my sweat equity, because it is impossible to put a $$ value on time and effort and keep the price reasonable. This is why I prefer to trade and have mostly given up on doing pick-ups of DSSH pins (the only low LEs I have routine access to.)

Starting to think this pin trading thing (at least at the highest level of low LE pins) is impossible. If I continue to think about it too much, I just may retreat back into my lovely fantasyland of hidden mickey pins... ***mutters crazily about obtaining that Cheshire surf board HM***

8. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

I feel your pain.

9. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

The ease of HM trading at the parks, is what got me lured into this hobby. So to find out later, it's more about the lower LEs to trade for non scrapper cool pins, feels like a job at times. Sweat,frustration, tix $, parking, standing in line, and time never gets factored in, but in the joy of the hunt/acquisition the norm, and the accolade of claiming "I Got It at cost". But as we all know there's the next step.....and then we're doomed, as I look at the grail pin lanyards, and ask where did you get those!:stitch:

10. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

I vote for Disney to make crappy LE pins and WDI/DSSH- like pins in open editions. :)

11. Moonie

Moonie Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Yes, it is true, and people have been fired for the funko pops and (most commonly) selling their Park sign ins. The actual rule is you’re not allowed to sell anything that you bought with a cast discount (or got for free).

However: no one seems to get caught for selling pins, and I don’t know why. Is it because its so easy just to hand it to a relative/friend who’s not a cm and have them sell it (and thus no rules are broken)? There’s really no way to tell the difference between that, selling it yourself, and trading it to someone who sells it. Pixar has picked up on it - hand numbering those pins is genius and I’m shocked WDI doesn’t do the same. (For real, though - not hard to make a spreadsheet that includes the cm’s name and cast ID. It would take more time, but people take forever to sort through their pins at WDI anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for the DSSH pins, that’s a really good theory but selling ANYTHING disney, is against the rules! (Just so no one cheats the system by not actually using their id to buy that funko pop or whatever.)

12. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

You are genius!

Disneychildwithin likes this.
  13. this_and_that

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Do not get discouraged. Just continue to have patience.

Remember the reasonable trades that you have been able to get when you have been lucky enough to get a good voucher number at a DSSH release.

Not everyone who trades is totally focused on whatever the current obscene secondary market prices, it’s just that sometimes it is hard to find those that are not.

My recommendation continues to be to try and attend as many hard ticket PTEs that you can. For that is where you are most likely to find the largest cross-section of traders as well as the greatest variety of pins.

I firmly believe that is the pin community itself that is the biggest enabler of the insane price markets of newly released pins.

Those folks that choose to pay the insane markups on newly released pins are the major enablers.

Those that willingly trade an arm and a leg for newly released pins are the minor enablers.

Sami, TheMickeyMouseRules and DisneyJ like this.
  14. fuzzybunny

fuzzybunny DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Ok what about those of us that do not live near the parks to get these pins we have no other alternative but to have someone else get them for us, yes even when they go they jack up the prices, sorry they are going anyway so why make us pay for their being there, yes am willing to pay a very small amount to compensate that person but to jack the prices that high, come on folks. They are using it to earn money, get a job, then you will see that most of us cannot pay those prices, no I don't buy those pins I dream my traders are not good enough for them to trade for, not my comment just those that have them for trade when they look at my traders. Rant over sorry

DisneyJ and Disneychildwithin like this.
  15. this_and_that

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Yes, those like yourself who do not live close to any of the Disney venues have it a lot harder.

But please don’t assume that everyone who lives close to one of these venues has it easy. Between the driving try am and the time spent standing in lines, a trip to one of the DSSH releases takes up a minimum of eight hours of my time. And frequently I get bad voucher numbers.

The online DSSH releases often, but not always, have good traders available.

The stunning silhouette series from DS is very likely to always have much sought-after releases.

Totally awesome traders have been found on the boards at the annual FL Event held in Epcot.

Yes, getting these online releases is not always easy, and does require work. But the satisfaction achieved after the work often more than makes up for it.

Buying for one’s collection is easy. Trading for it can be hard at times, but the chase can be exciting.

Sami, coblj003, momin.ator and 3 others like this.
  16. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

Unfortunately, we mostly have to learn to do without. Short of winning Powerball. And it's a tough lesson to learn. I know you have been around awhile too, and have lamented and heard all of this before, but I do like ranting about it every once in awhile. Most people simply give up, which is why there are so many more ex-traders and collectors. The collector base hasn't grown nearly as much as an 18 year history might indicate. While other hobbies deal with items that number 1000's and tens of 1000's Disney pins stay mired in the low hundreds. Certainly an LE100 - LE300 sounds cool. But in a world where the worldwide attendance for Disney parks is 150 million people and growing, it is a ridiculously limited supply that creates a barrier to growing.YOUR.business! No other business would have a growth plan that includes only being able to serve 150 people, forever. But with Disney pins, it's the status quo.

Oh, I get why. Only TODAY'S sales matter. A retail manager doesn't care one bit about building a customer base of thousands of people. It's all about what can I make that will sell out today, and I don't have to risk the potential of having leftovers that will head to the $4 bin. "I need the sales in my quarterly numbers, and they have to be better than last years." Places, like DSSH and MOG there are some real world limitations to processing 1000 people without disrupting the rest of the business. So I get why they want to keep releases small. But these are things that should be accounted for when choosing to get into the pin sales and the styles they release! Disney is supposedly a place where dreams come true, right? Guest satisfaction is a critical metric. We know with pins that is a lot of BS. I'd love to see how these shop managers would explain how having 1000 people show up for a pin release when there are only 300 items available, that will be immediately resold for double, triple, quintuple the price YOU just sold it for is a successful release. From the customer perspective - you disappointed a lot of people. From a business perspective you seriously underestimated demand, price and your customer market! WDI could have made 1000 of these pins and sold them to CMs through the online portal, or to D23 members through some sort of RSP. They would have sold out (well, I don't know about Home on the Range, maybe 500 would be enough :p ) and the manager would be able to count a lot more $$ in their profit column. If a manager can't recognize these styles would be that popular, than what does that say about their business acumen? But we know why they don't...certain "dealers" would be in their ear about it.

Now to the collectors. I participate in other hobbies. I have yet to find one where people celebrate and justify edition sizes like this. Especially, when they know there are so many disappointed people. Yes, SDCC and other cons have some super limited stuff, but the majority of collectors don't then go around saying they ONLY collect SDCC exclusives. New collectors don't join, spend a couple months looking around and then declare that they are only collecting SDCC exclusives. They're novelties, and sure, everyone knows the handful of people that have insane collections who will have those rarities, but they are exceptions and not rules. Others might hunt for that special one, to make it a centerpiece in their collection. But it is only one or two, and the rest of the collector base isn't sitting in silent judgement that your collection isn't "really serious" because those novelties are missing. But that happens with Disney pins all the time. If given a choice, everyone wants to be a collector of DA, WDI and DSSH pins, pretty much exclusively. It's kinda "having to settle" when they add other types of pins to their collections. Or at least that is the impression that is put out with the ISO threads, trading threads...and I'll say it at the risk of upsetting people, our grail signatures. It's how this hobby teaches people to collect. "Go big or go home." Where other collectors know there's value in the stuff that came out 3 years ago that new collectors are only now discovering, in Disney pins its "old news" and only the novelties have merit.

And no, it won't change until the makeup of the collectors base changes. Which it won't because, as was previously mentioned. This isn't a hobby, this is a source of income for people (And don't get me started on the FB raffles!). Are you going to be the one that opts out. Says, "Nope, everything surrounding this, is so ridiculous that even if these Heroines or Clusters fall into my price range, I am going to pass." Or is it, "someone is going to buy those pins, it might as well be me. At least I'm a real collector." It's not bad to admit, it's option 2. That's how the dealers and heck, even Disney knows they win, and nothing will change. If opportunity comes, it's really, really hard to turn away, that's just reality and human nature.

So what do we do? I've tried to post my off the beaten path collections and acquisitions. I'd love to trade for "not-grail" pins, but I like, have no matches with any of you (or the typical HM on one side / Rare HTF on the other). Do we need a "Men In Black Flashy thing when these releases come out?

momin.ator likes this.
  17. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

My friend has turned in people who are selling their pins, and thus far nothing happens. Dunno why, they just don't seem to care.

Moonie likes this.
  18. this_and_that

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Kudo-s to your friend for trying to help discourage this.

I would expect that all it would take is terminating one or two of the most blatant violators of this company rule to get some of the others doing so to shape up.

I can think of only two reasons why Disney hasn’t terminated employees violating this policy:

a) company policy may require a long list of violations before termination is made
    -or -
    b) those involved in enforcing this policy are financially benefitting in some why

Often, but not always, the prospect of financial gain brings out the very worst in people.

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  19. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

I'm guessing it's also a pretty tough thing to prove. You buy the pins, hand them to someone else (say that you traded them), and that person then sells them. Not sure there is much Disney could do about that. Unless they say that if you buy them, you have to keep them. In which case none of us would still be able to get our hands on them. :)

20. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

It would be great to improve everyone's chances to gain the amazing pins and traders no matter where you live. Admittedly it is more difficult outside of SoCal, but its not impossible as noted by @this_and_that...

I know many cannot do this, but I fly to DSSH (El Paso, TX to LAX), rent a car, book a hotel and this is in addition to waking up at 4:00AM to be in line for 3-6 hours to gain one set of pins. I am always exhausted after the releases and my lower back is in agony from standing on concert for 3-6 hours. Two out of the last three DSSH releases I attended I pulled a 'bad' number which means zero pins for me for my effort. My sweat equity in this hobby is significant. I have amazing ('at cost') pins because I obtained amazing ('at cost') traders.

21. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

Do people really only collect DSSH or WDI? I have not run into that much... but for those people who collect that way... too bad for them since they are missing out. For DSSH or WDI or low LE pins I just search for those which fit with my collections...

22. Badockins

Badockins Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

We were so close to extending our trip by one day and now I wish I had.

23. Moonie

Moonie Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I mean, technically, my collection is almost entirely WDI and DSSH but that because no character I collect gets any darn OE pins, LOL.

24. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

It's not always a "hard and fast rule" for location, I'm sure they'd take DA pins too, but on social media, there are a lot of trade posts that are of the "I only collect low LE pins <750" or "here are my traders - which may or may not be exclusively low LE, I'm looking for..." and then they rattle of a list of only low LE type pins. What do you collect posts are answered with "DSSH and WDI pins are my favorites." I'm looking at FB right now, and someone has a UK Frozen pin they are looking for "wdi / dsf only."

25. tiggeriffic

tiggeriffic DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I'll never understand why people would only collect the "high end" pins. If you love a character/movie/attraction/park, etc. and collect that, wouldn't you just be interested in any pin that fits your collection? I don't really care if a pin is OE or LE, if it fits my collection then I'm happy to get it. I have some OE pins which are difficult to find now and I love them as much as some of the more expensive ones. Aside from my two completist collections the only reason I wouldn't want a pin is because it's ugly. Some of the WDI/DSSH pins are ugly and I don't even want them, but most of them are really nice. I actually really enjoy it when new OE pins come out and they fit my collections! :tigger:

Jack Skellington likes this.