WDW to charge for overnight parking at hotels?

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Purplemandms, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Hey all, potentially sad news.

According to this article:

"Disney is expected to soon announce that their resort hotels will be charging guests for overnight vehicle parking.

The new policy would require guests to pay for overnight parking, per night, at all of the Disney owned resort hotels at the Walt Disney World Resort. Disney Vacation Club guests staying using their points would not have to pay for parking as part of a new membership perk.

Prices have not yet been revealed for the overnight parking, but it will depend on the type of resort (value, moderate, and deluxe will all have different pricing). A start date has also yet to be announced.

Valet parking prices at resorts will also be raised as part of these changes. These changes will not affect guests visiting resorts for dining, shopping, or otherwise. The paid parking is only for vehicles staying at the resorts overnight.
    "

According to a friend on FB, here are the prices:

$13 for value
    $19 for moderate
    $24 for deluxe
    $33 for valet

If true, what are your thoughts?

2. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I'm slightly disappointing as this was one of the many perks I enjoyed for staying on property; It seems the ones that make out on top are those who use the Magical express from the airport (please don't start charging for that). Honestly, if it comes between the remaining perks of staying on property (and having to pay for parking) vs staying elsewhere and still paying for parking to visit the parks or taking a cab, I think that the latter would win in my book if those prices given are going to be that steep.

Ironically, when we stayed at the Dolphin, the daily parking fee was less then what they're considering for the value resorts though I don't know what they charge currently. Personally, I wish Disney wouldn't consider a parking fee for the value resorts though would understand more then enough if they charged the moderate/deluxe resorts a small fee to maintain exclusive parking/deter resort hoppers. The only other way I would be on-board is if Disney readjusted their resort prices lower to show it as a fee they were already kinda charging but that is highly unlikely...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  3. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Ugh, parking charges... they just suck!

As a comparison, there is no free parking at DLR (for resort hotels or non-resort... they all charge... its so well coordinated at DLR, which now that I think about it... hmmm.)

I was very surprised and pleased WDW offered free parking at the resort hotels. That is a BIG perk of staying on property. The equation will change for offsite versus onsite, most definitely.

coblj003 and Disneychildwithin like this.
  4. Kiragigi

Kiragigi Active Member

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0

My guess is that they probably calculated the amount of revenue they lose to people that rent a car/drive so they can spend a day at universal/eat off property/ grocery shop for water and incidentals for their in room fridge.

I’m just disappointed bc it seems like Disney is doing a lot of things they said they would never do: case in point, there apparently is a beta program where at WDW if you pay extra you can get more fast passes. They were always adamant that every guest is special and they would never move to a program where those who pay more get extra advantages with front of the line passes (like they do at Six Flags, etc). Guess not.

I’m kinda done with Disney. When we would take the kids and stay OP my husband and I would say: wow, the $ flew out of our wallet but that was fun! Now I feel like it’s reached a tipping point (at least for us) where now I feel like I’m being screwed in order to have fun and that doesn’t feel very magical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ajk, coblj003 and TheMickeyMouseRules like this.
  5. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Great, because it wasn't expensive enough before...

6. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I wonder if the WDW equation also sees parking as the hidden charge people don't think about, and just accept. Its a way to raise prices, but not as obvious as others.

Kiragigi likes this.
  7. Kiragigi

Kiragigi Active Member

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0

I’m sure you’re right. I get the sense that pretty much all their decision making is done by a round table of MBAs using strict mathematical formulas on the most effective way to squeeze every last penny from us. I don’t necessarily fault them for that because they are a business, but they are also a business that sells “Disney magic” and like I said before, the magic is pretty much gone for us now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Haunted575

Haunted575 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

Curious how the paid parking will be monitored. Years ago, you would get a white piece of paper (parking pass) to put in your front windshield. The paper had your name and checkout date which I thought was too much info for every passerby. Of course I’d rather buy a pin than pay for parking....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slbrabham likes this.
  9. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    164   0   0

It's one thing to charge for parking in a crowded, urban area and quite another to charge when it's 24 square miles in a swamp.

I stay with my Dad and get into the parks for free, and with all the changes in the last few years, we still leave the resort feeling like WDW is "too expensive." And it's not like we physically don't have the funds. It's just not good value. So now DH and I are going to Hong Kong and the three of us are planning Japan at the beginning of December. We booked the sea view room at the new deluxe hotel at HKDL. We are paying $235/night. Tokyo hotel prices are ridiculous, but a 4 day park hopper is only $225 as a hotel guest (WDW is $455) and it's not like the Japanese parks aren't as crowded as WDW. It's like they are trying to still find balance even if they have to overcharge somewhere else. Plus, the entertainment, customer service, thematic details, maintenance are far superior. WDW is trying to get away with doing as little as possible there too.

Like the people who overspend on the "hot grail pin of the moment," I want to grab people and tell them, "You are not a bad parent if you don't take your child to Disney. Don't sacrifice your financial well-being just to prove something." But until people start realizing that, WDW will ride their gravy train. I was on forums post 9-11 and remember how much WDW got rocked, and it took years for them to get their groove back. Look at the way the world is heading these days, and it's a matter of "when not if" the next incident (not just terrorism, but potential large war, or just financial instability). Today's WDW management doesn't care because they probably have already planned their exits, but WDW's business could be devastated quite quickly.

bookhugger, Haunted575 and coblj003 like this.
  10. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

And somewhere Walt is spinning in his grave ... .

The ultimate irony of this is that it seems like guests are being penalized for staying on property. Disney seems to think that charging guests (IMO outrageously high) rates to keep a car overnight would have no impact whatsoever on where they choose to stay. And if this is a one-time flat fee, regardless of how many nights one stays ... maybe. But at the same time, I can see guests objecting on principle. This is something Disney used to give as a perk for staying on property and now they don't. This is just another example of fewer services for a higher price tag; what will be sacrificed on the altar of corporate greed next? And if it's actually a nightly parking fee ... .

I never have (and probably never will) hired a car while at WDW. When I'm on holiday, I can't be bothered driving. I'll use park transportation and get there when I get there. This doesn't affect me directly and yet it does. This is one more instance of Disney reneging on perks and services previously promised to guests while continuing to raise rates. I grew up a 'Disney brat'; I've had an annual pass and Disney vacations for as long as I can remember and I thought nothing could separate me from the Mouse, but much more of this and well, Universal or maybe just traveling Europe/Asia keeps looking better all the time.

coblj003 likes this.
  11. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I agree that one of the main appeals to staying on-property as a Florida Resident is the free parking. I understand that it will be a deterrent for those who wish to use the resort parking to circumvent the property fees, but at this point I'd just use my annual pass to park at the parks and then take a bus to my hotel if I were to do an extended stay. In my opinion, the smart thing to do would be to waive fees for Florida Residents or Annual Passholders. Because those are the two groups that are going to be majorly impacted by this.

Here is another article:
    Walt Disney World hotel guests to pay new parking fees

And here is the official announcement:
    Parking

So if you're looking to book a room for LIAA, I would reccommend doing it before the 21st.

12. Ajk

Ajk New to DPF but not to trading

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

Actually I fly to MCO but still always rent a car as I like the convenience. So impacts everyone! Grrr!!!! Bad Disney, Bad! You get enough money from us!
    (Puts on his Disney stock holder hat and says "Yay Disney, Yay! That goes straight to the bottom line!) I hate myself sometimes.

Kiragigi and watzshakinbacon like this.
  13. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0

Straight up Wolf of Wall Street right here...

14. Ajk

Ajk New to DPF but not to trading

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

In addition to what everyone else has said (gouging, makes staying on property less appealing, makes going to WDW at all less appealing, etc), as my wife says, "Gee Disney, you must be having tough financial times. Movies not doing so good? Park visitation lagging?" If they were struggling and needed to come up with ways to get some more income to stay solvent, that would be one thing. But they are making money hand over fist, so it makes it all the more galling. (Will keep my investor side quiet for this one. ;))

15. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

But here's the thing ... as I recall, post 2001, when Disney really was facing tough financial times and having a difficult time getting guests into the parks/resorts, they reduced their prices and offered incentives to encourage people to visit. Now fast forward to 2018:

Maybe some departments are doing better than others? Maybe some movies are box office blowouts while others are flops? Maybe park visitation is lagging in one park while others are so packed, they're routinely close to-or-at capacity? Or maybe some departments or projects are 'over-budget' (looking at you Magic Bands and Shanghai Disney) and the extra revenue needs to be generated from 'other sources'? But is any of this really necessary, considering that Disney is practically coining a mint at the end of every fiscal cycle. If they were able to reduce prices when they were struggling through tough financial times, why do they feel the need to not only increase prices but eliminate perks and benefits during times when they are making money hand over fist?

At this point, I think Disney really has lost its way and needs to return to Uncle Walt's priority of a guest-centric experience, something that it seems that its modern management wouldn't recognize if their lives depended upon it. Don't get me wrong, Walt was a shrewd businessman and definitely wanted to generate a profit for himself, his shareholders, his investors, and anyone else involved within his ventures. But he recognized that the best way to do this was by providing a guest-first experience, where guests left the parks/resorts feeling like they got their moneys worth (and then some) without being 'nickel-and-dimed' for every little thing imaginable. But with what Disney's constantly increasing the price and decreasing their offerings, there will come a time when people will/should realize that this is not what Walt envisioned for a family vacation and they'll get much more for their money somewhere else.

Kiragigi, Disneychildwithin and Ajk like this.
  16. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Piggy-backing off of @dancecats comments, I feel as if the current Disney "generation" had experiences when they were younger that were rooted in this "social market" branding of Disney. But if trends like this continue, then they might not feel the repercussions until the next generation, those who did not have such great experiences at the parks (or didn't visit the parks as frequently/as long) is making the financial decisions for their families.

17. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Just as a side note, Disney is divided into departments these days. So just because movies like Black Panther, Star Wars, Coco, and Zootopia do extremely well, that only affects those studios and the parks see none of that revenue.
    So yes, things like Shanghai (which I think at the end of this past year actually they said they cleared the debt that park put them in) and delays and costs of building two Star Wars Lands that does greatly effect the parks.
    The current chairman of the parks is Bob Chapek. You wanna know his previous title? President of Consumer Products. There’s your problem right there. Guys like him only care about that bottom dollar.
    Now of course profit is always the final point, but other heads do it more gracefully. Like Matt Ouimet. He was the head during the 50th Anniversary and the initial parts of the DCA renovation. He did things more right than they had been in years. He’s currently the CEO of Ceder Parks and he has sunk some real money and care into renovating Knotts across the way and it shows! They are thriving and the park looks so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starry_solo, Kiragigi and coblj003 like this.