• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Whats Next !?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that person's defense, they may not know that it was confirmed that this is not even a Disney design because Pinpics doesn't clearly state that. It just says that it is most likely unauthorized. Scrapped pins have been in circulation before releases in the past so I think that is all the person is trying to say.

I understand that the scrapper thing is a frustration but I also get the feeling that people are backlashing and are just ready to pounce on anyone that suggests a pin might be a scrapper. People are just trying to help others stay informed and sometimes mistakes might be made. Would it be better if they didn't share the info at all? I think not.... I'd rather have slightly flawed info than none at all...so let's cut people a little slack.

Last edited:
The problem is it becomes the boy who cried wolf. I understand both sides but pinpics does in fact list all pins and will state that it is an unauthorized pin. Too many people make conclusions based on poor information. What are they basing their opinion on?

As I have mentioned, even legitimate, genuine pins ocassionally have problems. I did that post about The NBC pin release at DSF and the people there with me will vouch that while the pins were real and purchased directly from DSF, if you saw them anywhere else, you would bet your like they were scrappers / counterfeits. Then again with the quality they allowed, they were scrappers (pun intended)

I think when people give what you call information and that being better than no information it is not healthy. It throws up an unnecessary red flag. From that point everyone thinks the pin is fake and they are afraid to trade for it.

Lets say there is a party and you attend and you leave the party and someone is missing something and people point the finger to you. Now you are poisen and everyone is afraid to invite you anywhere because you are a theif, even though you are not. It is damaging and the same holds true with pins. As soon as someone accuses a pin of being scrapped, everyone thinks they have a scrapper.

I think no matter how educated you are before you make an asumption, you should have your facts straight and if you are new, you should get second opinions. I have had a number of people have me look at and investigate pins. I am currently working on one right now that I am personally not 100% sure of but have a friend who purchased the pin direstly from Disney and we will compare the pin in question to it to see if the fonts are the same, placement of all logos and even font size as well as color and flash marks.

People need to be sure or check with others before they cry wolf (or scream scrapper)

Just my opinion but what do you think?

I totally agree Dan. As last month I was hesitant to purchase a pin for a friend, WDI Princess and the frog show boat pin to be exact as the images from the seller didnt make it look real as it had a small bit of paint missing from the bottom of the pin, scratches so I was second guessing the pin till Bricklayer took a look at the images and said it looks fine..I decided to go for it...

Then once I had bought it, I found out my friend had traded for it lol but we met up at my pin meet in Manchester and we compared her pin to the one I have and after all the thinking it might be a scrapper, it turned out to be just my pin had been put somewhere to have the mark put on them.

I think when people give what you call information and that being better than no information it is not healthy. It throws up an unnecessary red flag. From that point everyone thinks the pin is fake and they are afraid to trade for it.

I could understand that if the information we get was 50% good and 50% bad for example. But I just don't believe that is the case. My feeling is that probably more than 95% of the info we get on scrappers is good. When you search unauthorized or scrapper in Pinpics an awful lot of those pins will look familiar.....because they were in fact scrapped and are everywhere.

Getting back to the original topic, this isn't a case of "crying wolf" or scrapper paranoia. The person was right, it is a bad/unauthorized pin, they just had their terminology wrong. Not everyone reads the boards as frequently as we do so they didn't know the full story. The person was just trying to share the info he/she had on Pinpics because nobody else had done so yet. I don't think that should be discouraged. I'd get what everyone is saying if the person put the message on the listing of some pin that is highly unlikely to be scrapped....but that isn't the case here.

Based on the phrasing, I am guessing that the person might believe that this image will be released someday. That this is just another case of the bad pins making it over quicker than the official release. Like all the HM pins. I bet this person is not aware that it is not a Disney designed and approved image, not familiar with Dan's post about talking with the vinylmation artist, etc. They may not have even noticed the "unauthorized" field.

A little more scrapper insanity:

http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=70890

"Does anyone have information on how to spot a scrapper version of this pin? I have two scrappers, so there is no real pin I can compare them to."

So this person has two scrappers of this pin but doesn't know how to spot a scrapper of this pin?????

I think no matter how educated you are before you make an asumption, you should have your facts straight

I definitely agree with this statement.... It should apply to anything one wants to list as fact instead of opinion.... LOL... couldn't resist

I agree with Dan on this one.... SEE it DOES happen! (Notice I left the spelling error... my compulsive side said change it but my humorous side said leave it alone.... LOL)

Last edited:
A little more scrapper insanity:

http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=70890

"Does anyone have information on how to spot a scrapper version of this pin? I have two scrappers, so there is no real pin I can compare them to."

So this person has two scrappers of this pin but doesn't know how to spot a scrapper of this pin?????

In this case, I think the person is simply asking for a point by point comparison, so they will know how to properly identify the real pin in the future. Since the person, only has a scrapper, they can't do it. They may know its a scrapper because someone told them, as part of the trade, but didn't tell them what the problem was. Or there are multiple things wrong with a pin, but they are only aware of one. Or, using myself as a story. I have a tin of DL HM pins I have traded for at WDW. Because of the number of fakes on CM lanyards, I assume that they are all fakes. But having never seen the real one, and without a point-by-point description of the differences I couldn't begin to tell you if the color was wrong, the backstamp in the wrong place or wrong font, etc.

In this case, I think the person is simply asking for a point by point comparison, so they will know how to properly identify the real pin in the future. Since the person, only has a scrapper, they can't do it. They may know its a scrapper because someone told them, as part of the trade, but didn't tell them what the problem was. Or there are multiple things wrong with a pin, but they are only aware of one. Or, using myself as a story. I have a tin of DL HM pins I have traded for at WDW. Because of the number of fakes on CM lanyards, I assume that they are all fakes. But having never seen the real one, and without a point-by-point description of the differences I couldn't begin to tell you if the color was wrong, the backstamp in the wrong place or wrong font, etc.

However you want to spin it the fact remains this person claims to have 2 scrappers but doesn't know how to identify a scrapper of the very pin of which he says he has two scrappers. It makes no sense. If they have no idea what the real pin looks like how in the world would they know they have two pins that aren't real?

Who even cares? It isn't like they are saying they have a scrapper of a pin that had no other warnings. This just feels knit-picky to me. Getting hung up on every mistake in wording or terminology seems silly. To me, I don't care if a pin is a scrapper, counterfeit, fantasy, or a one-eyed unicorn. Either the pin is good or it is bad. Done and done.

Who even cares? It isn't like they are saying they have a scrapper of a pin that had no other warnings. This just feels knit-picky to me. Getting hung up on every mistake in wording or terminology seems silly. To me, I don't care if a pin is a scrapper, counterfeit, fantasy, or a one-eyed unicorn. Either the pin is good or it is bad. Done and done.

What is silly is the scrapper paranoia that has taken over Pinpics....just take a look at the "What's New" today (or any day for that matter). On the first page this morning all of the flags from the most recent WDW HM series are listed with this warning:

"Official stamp on the back is weak and in a slightly different font on the scrapper version. Scrapper version also has a complete letter S, where as this photo doesn't show the complete S"

Is this "Anonymous" a Disney employee or how have they determined what makes this pin a scrapper? How do they know the pin with the a strong stamp and a different font isn't a scrapper or how do they know there isn't two places making the pin and they are different?

If I said I has Whooping Cough and someone asked me what my symptoms were and I told them I have no idea what my symtoms are I just saw on the internet that lots of people in my town had Whooping Cough so I must have it.....people would think I was crazy.

What is silly is the scrapper paranoia that has taken over Pinpics....just take a look at the "What's New" today (or any day for that matter).

When lanyards are full of scrappers and we see more and more of those emails come through with, some even with WDI pins, how can you call it paranoia? People are just trying to figure out how they can make sure they get a real pin. What is wrong with that?

I agree with Erica, after seeing the recent emails and seeing new concept pins that we dont know about and seem to be official then I say we are right to worry slightly. As take the Mother's day Kevin pin..First we thought it was just an unauthorised pin, but now turns out to be a DSF LE300 pin (as I obtained a picture of the back of the pin off the ebay seller) and since we know it has that backing all we can do now is wait to see when it will be released so until then the paranoia will still be there for me.

my 2 cents.

The scrapper paranoia probably won't stop until Disney either lowers prices to the point that stuff isn't worth scrapping (which won't happen, as we saw from this year's price hike), or moves production to a well-monitored facility in the US (also not bloody likely). The scrapper paranoia is ridiculous only because Disney's let the actual scrapper problem get so out of hand.

The whole thing really hit home for me recently, since I do most of my pin shopping at the DSF. Short run LE300's, right? What could go wrong with that? Well, apparently not only will we see stuff like the recent Tangled Marquee being offered by overseas wholesalers two weeks before it's released, we'll also see stuff for next Mother's Day in 2011 offered on eBay months in advance. *headdesk*

The worst part is that the whole cost-of-production veil has been ripped back. If a Chinese wholesaler can sell it for 50 cents, you know they're making it for significantly less. So why are we paying $12.95 a pin for 20 cents of materials / shipping fees, a buck of marketing, and $11+ in perceived collectibility, if the collectibility isn't being protected? Can't we at least see a state-side-added protection measure like the Disney Auction holograms? Surely they can at least produce and apply a few thousand stickers in the US.

It's kind of funny to me: to my understanding, in-park releases of current Hidden Mickey pins are handled in small quantities by managers who take their responsibility of ensuring a lack of funny business very seriously as they dole out pin rations to employees. The in-park employees aren't really given much trust as a matter of policy, over low-value merch. But the dude in China handling the production run for tens of thousands of dollars' worth of low-run LE pins seems to get a total pass, or at least freedom enough to screw over the high-end part of the hobby entirely.

-JD

Last edited:
scrapper of an unauthorised pin

On the above subject, I have been trying to obtain: 26379: Bootleg - Christmas Stitch as Elvis (http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=26379). I recently won an auction on Ebay for this pin, or so I thought, because what I received was a very poor quality pin, with totally the wrong colouring i.e. red guitar instead of brown, purple nose and orange guitar neck. Pinpics was very helpful in this case, because the listing actually stated the colour of the guitar, so I knew the pin wasnt quite right. Needless to say I returned the pin, because their auction had been misleading by using a picture from Pinpics. I've attached a photo of the pin I received below. So what would you call this pin, a fake of a bootleg? LOL! DSCF1160.jpg

Last edited:
Geeze, that must've been disappointing. Haha, wow. Well, I guess that answers the question that was the real heart of this thread, right? Yes, bootlegged pins CAN be scrapped. And scrapped poorly. :(

motivator8e1ff92f5d0efe.jpg

-JD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back