• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What's the origin of these dragon pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the origin of these dragon pins?

DisneyScouter

Scouting for my favorite pins
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When we started to collect pins my son wanted this lanyard. When we got home and found PinPics, he found the pin to match it.

pin48115

Pin 48115: Lanyard - Black - Mickey Mouse Icon - Dragon

pin47531

Pin 47531: Mickey Mouse Icon - Dragon

We also found a whole slew of similar Mickey Head dragon pins, mostly from WDI, in variations of this pin.

pin46789

Pin 46789: WDI - Mickey Mouse Head Fire Breathing Dragon (Red Glitter)

I've always wondered what the origin of these pins might be. I know most of the Disney dragons (Mushu, Maleficent as dragon, Elliot, Madam Mim, Figment, etc.). These pins don't resemble any of these characters.

Does anyone know the history behind these? Or did they just do a generic dragon? With almost 40 pins that I could find that are essentially the same thing with mostly color variations, it seems a little odd that the design doesn't refer to some character, attraction, etc.

Last edited:
As far as I know, WDI started using that type of Dragon during the design and construction of Hong Kong Disneyland. I don't think it refers to a Disney dragon, but to the use of dragon iconography in the Chinese culture.

Don't forget the cool red dragon lanyard medal - 48114 - that complements the lanyard?
This weekend is the lunar new year - year of the rabbit and next year is the year of dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back