• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What's your pin trading pet peeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your pin trading pet peeve?

PixieDust

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'll start it off.

This happened to me three times last month.

I receive a pinpics trade request in the a.m., later that afternoon I send an email accepting the trade. Now i'm all excited about the trade !!! Ok, so then I get an email saying, sorry but that pin has been traded already?!? :rolleyes:

Now I realize that you can send out many requests in exchange for one pin, but nevertheless, it NEVER fails to bum me out when this happens:(

so that's my pin trading pet peeve. What's yours?

That has happened to me more times than I can count. I find it hard to believe being that there are sooo many posts on here from people never getting responses. Find it amazing that the people who send requests to me are the select few that actually get more than one response from one pin trade lol.

Soooo, I have to agree with you.. that is a peeve of mine...

lolol. This is funny. I just listed it on another thread to help someone new out, who want to go to a pin trading event.

Here is mine:

You go specifically to a Pin Trading Event, where no one has asked for people to bring their collections, and this is for pin trading only (Or trading of other Disney products/items) and are asked to look in another pin traders book to find something that you would like for a pin of yours that they are interested in, just to be told numerous times that they are keeping that pin, they are thinking about saving that pin too or their parent/spouse/child wants that pin so they cannot trade it.

Of course they are looking at hard to find limited edition pins, and are only willing to trade their Hidden Mickey's for them.

Argh!!!! I appreciate that people are proud of their collection, but when you go to a Pin Trading Event, it is to trade, not review people's keeps.

Obviously this has happened to me a lot, and usually by the same people. I now do not even consider trading with them.

Vicki

Yes that is also a peeve of mine.

Over here in the UK, person to person trading opportunities are pretty limited. What frustrates me is that the cast members in the UK don't were the lanyards and they are usually behind the check out/ till and they generally don't understand/know anything about pin trading...

Oh well..

Martin :)

Yes, the "I don't have this pin anymore," or "I can't find this pin" etc. In my case it seems to come up in multi-trades. There will be one pin I really want, but they want 2 or 3 of mine. I figure, I'll ask for some lesser wants (sometimes extremely lesser wants), maybe its in their favor, but there is that *one pin* that I am getting that makes it worth it. Guess which one has gone missing? Then I feel like total crap, but cancel the trade because the remaining trade is not something I would have agreed to. And then, later, I'll see that missing pin is still on their trades list. Do I go back and ask to resume the trade? Or did they say that just because they had trader's remorse, or would they think I screwed them over by backing out in the first place?

lolol. This is funny. I just listed it on another thread to help someone new out, who want to go to a pin trading event.

Here is mine:

You go specifically to a Pin Trading Event, where no one has asked for people to bring their collections, and this is for pin trading only (Or trading of other Disney products/items) and are asked to look in another pin traders book to find something that you would like for a pin of yours that they are interested in, just to be told numerous times that they are keeping that pin, they are thinking about saving that pin too or their parent/spouse/child wants that pin so they cannot trade it.

Of course they are looking at hard to find limited edition pins, and are only willing to trade their Hidden Mickey's for them.

Argh!!!! I appreciate that people are proud of their collection, but when you go to a Pin Trading Event, it is to trade, not review people's keeps.

Obviously this has happened to me a lot, and usually by the same people. I now do not even consider trading with them.

Vicki

:lol: If you didn't post this here I was seriously about to post it for you!

I've only had pleasant trading experiences so far (knock on wood!)...but I can see how all of these things would drive me crazy!

People with books and books full on nice pins who won't trade you anything but your first born for what you want. These people make me cry. Repeatedly. What's the point in pin trading if you WILL NOT TRADE? When I'm at the park I keep a lanyard of pretty nice pins on, but pins I don't care about, so I can trade without saying no. So I make someone happy, you know!

Actually, I'm kind of taking this two different ways! :lol:

My Pin Trader Pet Peeve:My pet peeve is when the other person always makes you do all the offering, even when they are they ones initiating the conversation. I can't stand it when someone says "make me an offer" and so you do and then they just come back with a "no thank you". And even more so when they tell you to look through their wants with no guidance whatsoever on what they would accept when they have 20 pages of wants and you only have 4 pages of traders! (pre new Pinpics feature which has really helped with this) I just find that rude and lazy to make the other person always do all the work. There's a few people I won't even send requests to because of this. Seriously, if you have no intention of trading then don't say "make me an offer" just to get a feel for what the person is willing to trade or to see if they will over-offer. That really drives me nuts.

If someone has pins that I would accept and I don't like their offer I'll give them a counteroffer. If they don't have anything that I'd be interested in I won't tell them to make me an offer.

Wasting people's time when you have no intention of trading or refuse to participate in the offer process is rude!

My Pin Pet Peeve:I don't (typically) like wording or dates (especially dates!) on my pins. It just bugs me. The only time I don't really mind is on Pin Trading Night pins, quotes from the movie, saying Happy Whatever Holiday or when I was actually at the specific event....but even then it kind of bugs me.

Last edited:
My pet peeve is when the other person always makes you do all the offering, even when they are they ones initiating the conversation. I can't stand it when someone says "make me an offer" and so you do and then they just come back with a "no thank you". And even more so when they tell you to look through their wants with no guidance whatsoever on what they would accept when they have 20 pages of wants and you only have 4 pages of traders! (pre new Pinpics feature which has really helped with this) I just find that rude and lazy to make the other person always do all the work. There's a few people I won't even send requests to because of this. Seriously, if you have no intention of trading then don't say "make me an offer" just to get a feel for what the person is willing to trade or to see if they will over-offer. That really drives me nuts.

If someone has pins that I would accept and I don't like their offer I'll give them a counteroffer. If they don't have anything that I'd be interested in I won't tell them to make me an offer.

Wasting people's time when you have no intention of trading or refuse to participate in the offer process is rude!

ooooh!!! That one hit me!!! I hate making offers, so I always ask someone to make it, but I am ALWAYS willing to work out something, and I never say just NO!!

Oh boy, something else to add to my list, for me to work on. :-( Sorry erudolf!!

Vicki (The lazy pin trader hehe)

When I go to pin trading events I watch how traders with all those books do "business". Then I can determine based on their attitude if I might want to do business with them. Believe it or not, there are several who I won't even approach. Then there are countless others who I visit multiple times. A lot of us will even warn others about "difficult" traders and eventually those people aren't going to have anyone to look at their stuff. That may seem rude, but there are too many good traders around to waste my time on the select few who to me seem to be more interested in keeping their pins than trading them.

ooooh!!! That one hit me!!! I hate making offers, so I always ask someone to make it, but I am ALWAYS willing to work out something, and I never say just NO!!

This is me too. I much prefer responding to other people's offers than sending my own, because I know I value pins differently than other people do. Half the time I'm afraid someone would think I'm trying to rip them off, and the other half wondering if I am undervaluing my own traders.

I'm with PixieDust! Too many times I've said yes to a trade, only to be told later that day that the pin offered to me has already been traded. It can get frustrating! I am also irritated by the lack of a courtesy reply when I send a trade request. All it takes is a simple 'no thank you' if the person does not want to trade. Simple common courtesy - or perhaps I am old fashioned!

Oh boy, something else to add to my list, for me to work on. :-( Sorry erudolf!!

Vicki (The lazy pin trader hehe)

No worries, we haven't traded yet so I haven't been aflicted! :lol: :) I don't think anyone likes making offers, but someone has to do it.

It all boils down to the fact everyone should at least be able to provide guidance on what they are interested in. If I go to someone and say "hey, I'm interested in this pin of yours, could you take a look at my traders?" they don't necessarily have to come back with an offer but I at least expect them to take a look at my trades and at least give me a list of pins their are interested in. To just come back and say "make me and offer"....how in the world am I supposed to do that if I don't even know what you would prefer?

On the flip side, if someone comes to me wanting a pin I and I find stuff on their list that I'm interested in, I'll pull all of them and tell them that those are the pins that interest me and see if they are still interested because it is possible that the ones I pulled are ones they wouldn't want to trade for the pin I have.

It's all about communication. :)

Yes that is also a peeve of mine.

Over here in the UK, person to person trading opportunities are pretty limited. What frustrates me is that the cast members in the UK don't were the lanyards and they are usually behind the check out/ till and they generally don't understand/know anything about pin trading...

Oh well..

Martin :)

This is also my pet peeve :)

I'm with PixieDust! Too many times I've said yes to a trade, only to be told later that day that the pin offered to me has already been traded. It can get frustrating! I am also irritated by the lack of a courtesy reply when I send a trade request. All it takes is a simple 'no thank you' if the person does not want to trade. Simple common courtesy - or perhaps I am old fashioned!

This is the one I'm guilty of. :( I don't usually respond to my Trade Requests....let me specifiy, Pinpics generated Trade Requests.... When I send out a request and see a response in my inbox I get excited, only to open it and see a no thank you. I hate that feeling and would have rather gotten no response at all, so that is why I don't send them to other people. Sometimes if I see that the person has sent the same request several times I'll respond with a no thank you and explain why.

Direct requests through PM or email I always try to respond to. It might take me a few days, but I usually get a response out.

Funny, but when I first started using pinpics, I had no idea how to use the trade assistant, so I would send out tons of email requests, not once did I get a response back....that drove me bonkers. Since I've started using the TA, much better results. I have been guilty of the "sorry, I just traded that one" I had to do that today, I forgot to take it off my trader list, oops.

You get a TA via PinPics, accept the Trade, send your mailing address, and then NEVER hear back from the Party who started the Trade??

P.S. I can understand and accept the "I already Traded that Pin" response. Folks are just looking for the BEST trade they can get and when you send out multiple TA's for a Trade some come back better than others. I have been on both sides of this and its no big deal IMHO.

Mike S.

The best is when they offer you a trade and you accept "their" offer only for them to come back with a counter offer countering their initial request. I really love that one!!!!!

I've been guilty of almost all of these lol, who hasn't?

A pet peeve in pin trading ASIDE FROM TA is Disney rever releasing pins of minor characters (or major) and yet releasing a Stitch, Tinker Bell and Jessica for almost EVERY set.

How about you both have over 150 referrals and bot promise to ship on a certain day, they give you a DC# only to find out they have not actually sent the package, yours arrives (READY FOR THIS) and they send you pin back in the bubble envelope you sent theirs in.

That is also lying. A DC does not mean much actually but to lie and give the number and understand that when you buy your postage through ebay store, the confiormation is live once you make the purchase, however when you track it, it says it has not yet been received for processing.

Now really, my pet peeve is when people agree and then have no trust but its a real burn to get it back in your own envelope with a sticker over your original mailing address to them and your return address is still on the envelope!

And I agree with the I dont have it anymore or trying to make a different trade after sending a request.

How about you both have over 150 referrals and bot promise to ship on a certain day, they give you a DC# only to find out they have not actually sent the package, yours arrives (READY FOR THIS) and they send you pin back in the bubble envelope you sent theirs in.

That is also lying. A DC does not mean much actually but to lie and give the number and understand that when you buy your postage through ebay store, the confiormation is live once you make the purchase, however when you track it, it says it has not yet been received for processing.

YES!!! I'm amazed at how oblivious people are of the information available. My personal favorites are when someone insists that they sent it when they were supposed to, even though the post mark says different, and tries to blame it on the post office. Even when the postage wasn't purchased until after they claimed to have sent it!!! And I always get a chuckle when someone *says* they paid a certain amount for a pin but their ebay activity says different. It isn't difficult to figure out who is who on ebay over time, and even with the ID masking, it is possible to see what you are buying and how much you are paying for it... Hey, we are all addicts here. There is no need to fib on how much you spent on a pin! :lol:

My name is Erica, and the most I have spent on a single pin is $350.

Next. :)

My pet peeve - hmmm. RUDNESS! People that respond with scrathing nasty-grams because they took offense to your offer or counter offer. As a fairly easy-going, polite person and a fair trader (IMO), nothing brings out the hissy-lynx in me faster. :mad: I make it a practice to NOT respond in kind; however, there are ways to tell a person to go to H-E-double-hockey-sticks and still be polite - course, when its a pinpics TA, their emails are forwarded back to info@pinpics.com. Enough complaints filed, they may find themselves blocked from using pinpics. :wiggle:

Pin trading is supposed to be FUN and interactive. Petty & vicious traders like that, not only give the rest of us a bad name and does the Disney Mission a dis-service, it can potentially frighten new traders away from the hobby.

This is the best pet peeve thread I have read yet. Everyone has covered just about everything that has happened to me. However, I do notice it getting much worse lately than it was 6 years ago. So all of our pet peeves have really multipied, which is not good.

When I started trading, I remember how many kind people put up with my lack of knowledge, when I asked them for some very HTG pins. They were not rude at all, and explained to me why my pin would not get their pin. In many ways, I learned so much this way. I did get kind of down when my pins were not good enough for so many pins, but did get their point. You cannot expect people to give up pins they had to give up a lot for, in exchange for your one open edition pin or hidden mickey. Also, no one should have to feel a need to make an exchange for a pin they do not want just to make another trader feel better.

There are times when people who have great pins are not familiar with the HTG pins pertaining to other characters. I am good with Stitch, because that is what I collect, but there are so many big deal pins out there I am not familiar with, and every now and then, put them on my wants list, just because I liked the look of it. I have offered a pin of equal LE and cost, because that is what made sense to me at the time. Whoever gets my offer goes to my trades list and sees that I have equal HTG value pins I could have offered and gets pretty mad at me and totally insults me. What they do not realize is that I just happened to like that pin, but really do not know its value. So a lot is misunderstood all over the place when trading.

However, there is no misunderstanding when we talk about not sending your pins when you say you will, not responding at all to trade offers, not being respectful of other traders, not considering that someone may not actually know the value of the pins they are asking for, and there is no excuse for being rude to people ever, because this is supposed to be fun.

Last edited:
Wow, everyone has brought up such good examples :) !!! After reading all the responses i'm realizing I may have more than one pin trading pet peeve!
Even so, when it all goes right, trading is so much fun that we are all willing to go through the baloney from time to time. When a trade goes right, it renews your faith in trading and all the GREAT traders in the community!

People with books and books full on nice pins who won't trade you anything but your first born for what you want.

This has happened to me quite a few times at the monthly trading events, usually with the same traders. Last time it happened I made it a point to remember what they look like and remember not to bother trying to trade with them again!

When I go to pin trading events I watch how traders with all those books do "business". Then I can determine based on their attitude if I might want to do business with them. Believe it or not, there are several who I won't even approach. Then there are countless others who I visit multiple times. A lot of us will even warn others about "difficult" traders and eventually those people aren't going to have anyone to look at their stuff. That may seem rude, but there are too many good traders around to waste my time on the select few who to me seem to be more interested in keeping their pins than trading them.

Spiffie, I couldn't agree with you more! I think I'll hang out with you if we're ever at a pin trading event together so we can warn each other :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back