• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Where have all the pin sellers gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where have all the pin sellers gone?

Aveen2010

Disney Obsessed!
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Hi guys,

Like many of you I was a member of Dizpins, I used to buy quite a lot of pins on that forum and I have done so on here also. What I have noticed However is there is a huge reduction in people posting with their pins for sale...where did everyone go? lol:sad:

xxx

I'm guessing with the popping up of so many different pin sites, sellers spread themselves out. I know what you mean, I got some pretty good deals at Dizpins. But luckily I've gotten some good deals here too!

I only know of this forum and the pintalk forum and the Pin talk only has about 1 page of selling stuff and thats not great, we here have more (as the thread on pintalk are on here aswell mostly)

so I dont know where the abundance of sellers have gone either...

I've noticed that things have quietened down when it comes to the sellers too! I don't know what's happened to them all though. :/

It could be the busy schedules many of us have starting around Thanksgiving up until early January. I for one went on vacation, followed by quite a few family gatherings. I have pins to sell, but sometimes it can be difficult to find time to determine prices and list them.

You can try creating a "looking to buy *insert pin(s) here* thread". I'm sure you'd get responses that way!

Plus, the pin market overall is just down. Sellers may have slowed down their offerings because they were losing on them. A few months ago eBay was full of great deals but now I've noticed more and more people moving to BIN pricing rather than auctions, and of course, the BIN prices are way too high. A lot of sellers might be sitting on their inventories until the market improves.

I am glad I am not the only one who has noticed, thanks for the replies!

Erudolf: I agree that it is possible many sellers were loosing out when selling their pins. I myself sold many of my pins before june of this year in order to put money towards driving lessons and buying a car...and on many of the pins I didn't get back what I paid for them...some not even close!

Bricklayer: That's very true about people being busy this time of year also :)

It almost seems like the hobby is in a bit of a lull, the natural ebb and tide of new collectors and the loss of old collectors...I saw a pin sell on ebaa for $16 that I had never sell for less than the $50-70 range!

As a fairly new pin collector, I agree. There don't seem to be a lot of pins for sale.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'd like to ask some of you more experienced pin collectors a question. How do you know who to buy from on eBay? I mean, I have looked, and seem some amazing deals, but I am so concerned about receiving counterfeit pins. I have purchased from some members on this forum - I feel that people here are collectors first and (by and large) averse to pushing off damaged or counterfeit pins. (Although I have received one of those from here. :sad:) What do you all think? Are the pins on eBay okay?

:)

Last edited:
What do you all think? Are the pins on eBay okay?

:)

It really depends on what you are looking to buy. I buy from eBay all the time but I am usually buying low LE pins so I feel a bit safer doing that simply because they are difficult to find and if there were really counterfeits of them out there then we would probably notice. Although....some auctions I looked at today have me very concerned that the counterfeits are branching out to older, higher end pins....it is just a suspicion as of now, so no alarm bells just yet.

If you are looking for lower end pins however, like hidden mickeys or booster pins then you need to be very careful. You are at much higher risk of getting fakes with those. In general, here are some things you can do:

1). Stay away from large, cheap lots
2). Try to stick to listings where the actual item is pictured and look at the picture closely
3). Know about the pin and possible fakes before you buy
4). Look at the seller's other items and stay away from sellers that have lots of pins listed that have scrappers warnings

Last edited:
I am about to become one of said sellers once the kids are back in school tomorrow. I have decided to sell most of my higher end traders (mostly from ds.com) as I can't seem to make any decent trades for them. Also, I am saving my pennies for a couple of new camera lenses and those are some big $$$ items. I will probably start listing my pins tomorrow or Tuesday. In the meantime, feel free to look at my trades list as I will sell pretty much anything on it.

thread title reminded me of hte song:
"Paula Cole - Where Have All the Cowboys Gone"

It almost seems like the hobby is in a bit of a lull, the natural ebb and tide of new collectors and the loss of old collectors...I saw a pin sell on ebaa for $16 that I had never sell for less than the $50-70 range!

I need to check out ebay I guess! There are a few pins I had seen about 3 months ago, but the BIN seemed pretty steep for what the pin was.

Thanks for the info.

My kids and I like the Vinylmation pins ... and there are so many counterfeits out there! I'd like to buy a couple off of eBay, but you can't really tell from the front of the pin, right?

We traded at Disneyland last week and about half of the ones we encountered were fakes. :(

Thanks for the info.

My kids and I like the Vinylmation pins ... and there are so many counterfeits out there! I'd like to buy a couple off of eBay, but you can't really tell from the front of the pin, right?

We traded at Disneyland last week and about half of the ones we encountered were fakes. :(

In that case, I would ask the sell for a pic of the back. If it is legit then they shouldn't have a problem with it.

If anyone is interested I am doing a Disney Store Wonderland Snowflake set & Princess Medallion set co-ops. Wonderland set is at cost for each pin and Princess is BELOW cost for each pin!

I know my patience has paid off & I was able to get a few pins for less than half of what they've always been at in the past. I'm guessing a few people want to avoid the post office to ship stuff this time of year as well since the lines are so long, I put shipping stuff on hold after spending 30 minutes in line one day.

I used to sell on Dizpins, but I could list pins differently on there. Just drag and drop. I'm trying to find a way to list pins on here without going over the amount of pictures... lol. Believe me, I have plenty to sell and most are mint on their card. I love this place better than all of the other pin sites that other people have made. It's the friendliest pin site on earth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back