• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Who Invented The Term "Pin Shark"? And Can It Be Changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who Invented The Term "Pin Shark"? And Can It Be Changed?

Masamune

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Was it a term invented by Disney themselves, or pin traders? I only ask because I hate the term, and wish there was something else we could use to describe these horrible people that take advantage of others.

The reason I hate the term is because I love sharks. But because of that stupid term, I can't wear my awesome Bruce lanyard (Pin 42328: DisneyShopping.com - Pin Shark Lanyard & Pin) for fear that people will think differently of me. There are much better words that could be used for these nasty people. Like "Con-artist" or "scammer", as that's basically what they do.

I'm probably the only one that thinks this way, but I don't see the harm in voicing my opinion.

I found that term on another web site forum where they complained about those kind of people. But I dont think anyone would think your one if you are wear that lanyard. You'll have pins on it so it would be hard to read. Is it the words you like about the lanyard or the dangle? Cause you can always put the dangle on another lanyard.

I know people use the term card sharks, which is pretty much a deceptive (or highly skilled?) card player (poker, other table games, etc.)...that's all i know, but its roots could go way before that...it's used in just about every other hobby out there as well

I have heard the term for "those" people. There are lots of names for them. I'm terrified of sharks though...

I was wondering...:)

But I think the term shark was used because of other areas where shark is used "loan sharks" "card sharks" and now "pin sharks."

I found this on dictionary.com

"The meaning "dishonest person who preys on others," though only attested from 1599 ( sharker in this sense is from 1594), may be the original sense, later applied to the large, voracious marine fish. It is possibly from Ger. Schorck, a variant of Schurke "scoundrel, villain," agent noun of M.H.G. schürgen (Ger. schüren ) "to poke, stir." The Eng. word was applied to voracious or predatory persons, on the image of the fish, from 1707 (originally of pick-pockets); loan shark is attested from 1905. Sharkskin was used for binding books, etc. As the name of a type of fabric held to resemble it, it is recorded from 1932."

@ TinksPinz - I like the whole thing actually, so I wouldn't want to separate the medallion from the lanyard.

@ erudolf - I do really like that pin, just because the shark on it is similar to the Jaws logo. Don't know how I'd go about getting one though, as I've never tried to trade for a Fantasy pin.

@ Bricklayer - o.o Good point.

@ hopemax - Oooh, interesting. So that's the origin of the term shark in regards to people. Lol, I like the idea of it coming from a word that means "scoundrel, villain".

@ Tiki - LOL. Yeah, that's one of the things I like to call them too. :) Great pin!

Haha. I really like the name "pinholes". I called someone a pinhead the other day, so we have pinheads and pinholes :rofl:

As for the shark lanyard, I would wear it just to be funny! Surely everyone would see the humor. It wouldn't hurt to practice a James Woods accent, either.

I don't like the word "pin sharks" since it implies who should have what pins. Is it really any different from getting a pin just so it will be a good pin to trade in the future? I know this will get flamed, but I'm just trying to state my opinion on the matter ;o

I agree. You love it, so wear it & don't worry about anyone else. I love my pin shark repellant pin & would wear it without worrying about offending people. Just remember that people have to CHOOSE to be offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back