• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Why I do not like Pinpics requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why I do not like Pinpics requests
Sometimes with the pinpics emails I just want to reply with "haha..."
But I refrain and hold back to not be rude. lol.

I think what insulted me the most was that this wasn't even a direct TA request...which I might could tell myself that they mischecked a box or something...this was an intentional counter offer. I am sure that I have inadvertently sent out a lopsided TA request because I checked too many at once, didn't go back and double check them well enough, or something, but this was one that someone went back and took the time to go through my "trades" list to find and ask for....not cool.

And yes I understand that edition size alone doesn't mean anything...I also understand that wants/trades alone doesn't mean anything....I understand that original retail price alone doesn't mean anything...but when the trade is so lopsided on all areas...maybe it's a lopsided trade. I even went to ebay to see what each pin is selling for. The Autopia pin that I was offered consistently sells for $10 to $20 and the Cheshire Baseball pin consistently sells for over $100. That is unfair and this person knew that when they asked me to make the trade.

I also agree with Vala that it is one thing for someone to offer something which might be lopsided (not in their favor) because they really want a particular pin...I've also done that...but for someone to ask for something so lopsided is taking advantage.

Ok...I'm off to WDW for the Florida project...only three more hours until Ileave for the airport..I'm so excited, no wonder I cannot sleep LOL!

Last edited:
Glad to see I'm not the only one getting ridiculous trade offers lately, and that the ones I do accept end up flaking out or never replying, its gotten to where I've lost interest in trading. Here's a good one I got the other day..

Pin 75096 DLR 2010 Hidden Mickey Series-55 Pennant Collection (Tomorrowland) for Pin 83850 DSF Disney Cats-Scar & Simba

I mean really?

I know everyone values their pins differently and may trade because they really want the pin being offered to them, I know I've done it & have been doing it more often just because I want to make some trades, but trading has really lost its appeal for me.

Oh and I had one that sent me a request, I accepted, then got a long winded reply back about how I had "only" 11 references & not from anybody they knew, so they would only trade if I sent them MY pin & after they received my pin they would send me mine. I mean how many references do you need? No thanks, keep your pin. The best part? Ive gotten two requests since then from the same person!

Not off topic but a spin.

I have been there and done that. i know eBay prices at least for the pins i have or want and some for the pins i had. The TR in question was just lasf week. Both pins ratio were pretty close and the market value wighin $10. In all ways I would have traded if I were on either end. Guess what? I get a no Thank you. At least I got that. I replied what about out ......... Again no. because they were looking for harder pins to trade it for. I then looked up their wants and it is over 1200. Come on. No wonder why there is no trades on Pinpics and pins have fully inflated wants. Everyone I recently looked at in TD has 300+ pins on their wants that there is NO way they can trade for by looking at their trades. Please PinPics limit a persons wants to 300. That would get people to have to trade to put more wants on. Make people wants what they really wants. To finish their "collection" or "theme" ect. Then you would really find true want/trade ratios? Comments please.

Everyone I recently looked at in TD has 300+ pins on their wants that there is NO way they can trade for by looking at their trades. Please PinPics limit a persons wants to 300. That would get people to have to trade to put more wants on. Make people wants what they really wants. To finish their "collection" or "theme" ect. Then you would really find true want/trade ratios? Comments please.

I think some of us use pinpics "wants" as sort of a place holder too which in turn leads to an inflated want count, but that holds mostly true for newer pins.

Apart from this, what you are suggesting could lead a healthier trading.

Last edited:
Please PinPics limit a persons wants to 300

I am a Peter Pan completist and there are way more than 300 Pan pins, not to mention that my husband and I have a combined wants list. This would make it very difficult to manage our wants efficiantly.....

I have been there and done that. i know eBay prices at least for the pins i have or want and some for the pins i had. The TR in question was just lasf week. Both pins ratio were pretty close and the market value wighin $10. In all ways I would have traded if I were on either end. Guess what? I get a no Thank you. At least I got that. I replied what about out ......... Again no. because they were looking for harder pins to trade it for. I then looked up their wants and it is over 1200. Come on. No wonder why there is no trades on Pinpics and pins have fully inflated wants. Everyone I recently looked at in TD has 300+ pins on their wants that there is NO way they can trade for by looking at their trades. Please PinPics limit a persons wants to 300. That would get people to have to trade to put more wants on. Make people wants what they really wants. To finish their "collection" or "theme" ect. Then you would really find true want/trade ratios? Comments please.

While I do agree that your post was more of a spin off the original topic and not completely off-topic, I think the post would be better suited as its own thread, especially if you want people to comment on your post, which I think would eventually lead to a complete stray away from the original intent of the thread.

We certainly appreciate your opinion, but let's move on for now and get back on track.

Last edited:
I view pinpics trade requests as a way to start up trade talks. I know that my requests don't always seem fair, but my hope is that I get a reply back. I don't have the time to add messages to each request saying that I'd offer both pins below, or 3 pins below, etc. If people are like me, not all of the pins that interest them are in their wants. If I'm looking for an le 1000 pin that has an average trade ratio and I only have 2 rack pins that match their wants, I'll send a request. If they respond saying they'll pass. I write back saying how about both or do I have any other pins that interest you. I think it would be really cool if somehow pinpics and dpf was linked in a way that showed you who on dpf has a pin that you're looking for. It seems that it's far easier to start trades with people on the forum vs. using pinpics over the last year.

Some people (including myself) don't trade based on ebay value or edition size etc...I trade based on what I like and enjoy so I have traded away many pins with lower edition sizes and high wants for pins that I wanted....because....crazy thought....I liked them more.

You couldn't of said it any better! This is EXACTLY how I trade. I sometimes forget to look at the ratios, etc though.
So sorry if anyone has EVER received ridiculous requests from me. I tend to just click, LOL. Don't mind me!

i think it would be really cool if somehow pinpics and dpf was linked in a way that showed you who on dpf has a pin that you're looking for. It seems that it's far easier to start trades with people on the forum vs. Using pinpics over the last year.

Agreed!

Last edited:
I send lots of requests (hopefully I haven't offended anyone) and usually put something in there about would trade multiple pins for theirs, etc. :)

I get annoyed when I send out fair or overly fair requests to people and they say no...

If the pin is on your wants list then why don't you want it? It's not like I only have traders that no one cares about. So it leaves me really confused. I have good-great pins for trade so I don't get it. I know the values of the pins I have and the values of the pins I want so...

I just don't know.

I think it would be really cool if somehow pinpics and dpf was linked in a way that showed you who on dpf has a pin that you're looking for. It seems that it's far easier to start trades with people on the forum vs. using pinpics over the last year.

They do. Try the links under everyone's avatar. You have to go person by person but it is such a great feature! :)

Great posts everyone! I probably am not approaching it correctly either, but the way I have been determining the value of a pin is by researching what it would cost me to get it at the time of the trade. If it would cost me $40 to get the pin I am looking for, then I will offer you $40 worth of pins in trade. I do look at the trading ratios, but I have noticed that even though a pin may have a 7 have it/45 want it ratio, the 45 who want it may not have anything comparable or anything that matches any wants of the 7 that have it, so the ratios may be a bit deceiving. Does using the current purchase price of a pin as the value offend any of you? Some of the people I have received unfair offers from have admitted they weren't fair (one's exact words were "Yeah, that was a pretty crappy trade offer, huh?"), but they sent them anyway in an attempt to open up some trading communication. I actually ended up making a good trade with this person once we started communicating. It seems that there are many different ways people come up with what they feel is the value of a pin. I would be interested in hearing from others how they value a pin. One trader told me that some people use an actual formula to determine how many higher LE's are comparable to trade for lower LE's. Does anybody have a formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back