WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT COCO????

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Addicted to Alice Pins, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DawnB

DawnB Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I saw Coco on the 2nd I liked it more then I thought I would. I see most Disney animated movies after they are released on Blu ray, but I saw Coco in the theater because I wanted to see Olaf's Frozen Adventure (BIG Frozen fan).

Found out Disney pulled Olaf's Frozen Adventure from the theater because parents were complaining between the previews (ours were about 20min worth), Olaf's Frozen Adventure (20mins) & Coco (1h40m) that it was too long for kids to sit still. My feeling is if they shortened the number of previews (I think we had 7) they could have left in the Olaf short. The last day they showed the short was Dec 6th.

Apparently Disney originally made Olaf's Frozen Adventure to be a TV special then decided to attach it to Coco instead. I'm glad they are showing it on TV especially for those that didn't get to see Coco before the 6th. I will be watching it again :)

Cicada likes this.
  2. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

Just watched it and loved it!! Who was cutting onions during the movie? I came prepared with paper towels haha

Visually stimulating, music was great, and, oh, the twists! What a great movie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. NutMeg

NutMeg The Nefarious N.M.G.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

[​IMG]

Lol. I obviously loved it and def had to hold back tears. It was also one of the rare animated films where I actually felt that CG was more fitting than 2D. I have a deep love for traditional hand-drawn animation and will pretty much always consider it superior to computer imagery. However, in this case I think CG was the appropriate choice for the aesthetics. It added so much depth and dimension to the scenery. The fluorescent light effects they achieved were stunning. Loved the motif of the orange petals, too, and the color palette in general. As far as the story goes, I did have a couple of nitpicky complaints, but I can't get into those here without spoilers. They mostly pertain to the film's twist/the way it's resolved. I do think it fell victim to some familiar tropes near the end. But the rest of the film was so creative that it's ultimately forgivable. Definitely one of Pixar's best.

Btw, the Frozen short was actually always advertised as a "limited time only" thing, intended to drum up hype for Coco and draw more audiences to the theater during the first couple of weeks. Also, a theatrical release makes it eligible for a Best Animated Short nomination at the Oscars, a category that Disney has historically dominated and still likes to compete for almost every year, especially in front of their Pixar releases. (Since Frozen was originally announced as a TV special, it could be that they didn't have another short prepared in time for Coco and had to improvise. Or perhaps they simply felt that Frozen was a strong candidate for the award.) That said, it's a pretty dang long "short," and that extra 21+ minutes of run time definitely prohibits the number of Coco screenings that theaters can squeeze into a day. Removing it after it's been out just long enough to serve its purpose now allows for additional screenings and more ticket sales. Long story short, it's all super strategic, which is pretty much Mickey's M.O.

4. isida2009

isida2009 Member

0   0   0

I really liked the movie as well :D I was very happy to learn more about the mexican culture ^^ and the colors were breathtaking ! ^^

5. Damiens pins

Damiens pins Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

I can't wait to watch it. It doesn't come out in uk til the 15th January

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Just take tissues. Lots and lots of tissues. I hope you all love it!!!! Make sure to report back once you've seen it!

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  7. Damiens pins

Damiens pins Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

Your right I did need the tissues omg I loved this film so much can't wait to watch it again! My favourite characters are Dante and Miguel and nana coco I've already orderd a t shirt and I'm so tempted to collect the pins but I have anothe collections already

CCofRR13 likes this.
  8. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0

Our copy of Coco came today (a day early, yay!) and we had our family movie night. I loved, loved, loved it! Yes, I bawled and am not quite over it. If anyone needs me I'll be working on my family tree. :)

9. PinPics_Ambassador

PinPics_Ambassador Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

besides AVATAR (the film) at night, Coco is the most visually stunning film ever.
    my copy was delivered today (I posted a Thread) can not believe what they did to
    the lithos :(
    caw caw .. yours must have come boxed as EVERY ONE I have ever ordered came before this one

10. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

If your lithos arrived damaged, contact them, they will replace them

11. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0

Finally got to see Coco....LOVED it!!!!! I just KNOW Pepita is my spirit animal too! Great.....now I want to collect Coco pins.....sigh

coblj003 and watzshakinbacon like this.
  12. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Since we're still discussing Coco (with good reason) ... I saw the movie last year on DCL, but I wasn't able to post because I didn't have internet access (obviously). I absolutely adored the movie, I can't say enough good things about it. I don't know much about Dia de los Muertos or Mexican culture, but I thought the movie was absolutely beautifully done, very genuine and well-researched, and the story was just amazing (do not watch without tissues!).

SPOILER ALERT

I just have one minor criticism, and this comes from too much time studying classical literature: the naming of Miguel's dog, Dante. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the character of Dante. My problem is that I believe Dante (the dog) was named for the 14th century Florentine poet. The problem I have is that Dante (the poet) was guided through the realms of the dead (Inferno, Purgatory, and Paradise); in Coco, Dante (the dog) is a guide. Consequently my thought: shouldn't Miguel's dog have been named for Dante's guide instead? Does this ruin the movie for me? No, it's still amazing. Does this annoy the inner literature perfectionist in me? Oh yes, and considering the immaculate attention to detail the rest of the story received, I expected better from the writers. I just have to ask: did anyone else notice this and does it bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?

13. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Do you want us to enable you or talk you out of it? hehehe

CCofRR13 likes this.
  14. PixiePost

PixiePost Previously SoraPandora

Rating - 100%
    145   0   0

Finally watched it for the first time last night... I loved it so much that I’m watching it again this evening.

15. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Hahaha. IDK if there is any other significance to "Dante" in Mexican culture (like, a specific individual or something) but it is a name used in Mexico. I 100% get your point/criticism. The only "excuse" I can make is that Dante is pleasing on the ear and fits the story's culture. If Miguel spent the whole movie going, "Yo, Virgil!" I think it would have been jarring. :p

16. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Fair point and it's true, Virgil as a name definitely doesn't work as well, culturally speaking. I just was coming at this from a classics point and, wow, it was driving me stark staring bonkers!

17. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

You know while that’s a lot of background on the name and I don’t doubt it played a part, I noticed when watching it this week, De La Cruz’s horse in his films was named Dante. Since Miguel was such a big fan, I was like “Oh, he named the dog after his idol’s horse”

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  18. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

My mom bought it... I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure by Friday I'll know what everyone is talking about

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

19. PixiePost

Rating - 100%
    145   0   0

Un Poco Loco was my favorite song too!

I also loved Juanita.

20. PixiePost

Rating - 100%
    145   0   0

When watching this for the first time, did anyone else expect Miguel to totally suck when he finally started singing/playing the guitar? There was just such a build up to it, and every time it seemed we were going to hear him for the first time, something would happen to stop him. I was thinking, okay, young kid, always been banned from listening to or playing music, only able to practice quietly in the attic... he’s going to be terrible.

Obviously I knew that the kid would sing in the movie, from commercials and stuff, but I didn’t expect him to be such a skilled musician from the get-go. I was expecting a funny moment where you realize he has a lot to learn, and passion doesn’t equal talent.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  21. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I deliberately tried to avoid seeing previews for Coco before I saw the movie so I could go into it with no expectations and be totally surprised. I was mostly successful; when I saw it, I just knew that it centered around Dia de los Muertos/Mexican culture and to bring tissues (i.e. be prepared to cry).

Had I not 'successfully' avoided the previews and commercials, I think it's very likely I might have had similar expectations for Miguel's musical ability (or lack thereof as would have been anticipated). As you correctly pointed out, the most logical outcome for a child who always was prohibited from listening to or playing music ... he's likely going to have more passion than skill, at least at first. I do recall thinking throughout the movie, due to the build up to Miguel finally playing, that this child is going to either be exceptionally talented or cringingly, pitifully horrible. There could be no halfway.

22. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Let's be real: If she wants to be talked OUT of a collection, she should stop hanging out here. ;)

No, you totally have a valid point/gripe. Especially since Pixar usually does Deep Meaning or otherwise is really clever with their choices. The only other thing I can think of, aside from "Dante" being a better cultural fit, is that they skewed to the common person. As in, most/many people are familiar with "Dante's Inferno" (ie, they've heard of it) but they are NOT actually familiar with the work itself. "Dante" is recognizable to more people at this point than poor ol' "Virgil." (Yes, literature students/fan aside--but let's be honest, we aren't exactly promoting scholarship much these days.)

YES. I play this in the car all the time (among a few others). It's hilarious. Also, Gael Garcia Bernal sings Hector a bit more ... reedily ... elsewhere, as if to suggest that while Hector is a good musician (and SPOILER ALERT a great songwriter) perhaps singing wasn't his *best* talent. He's good but not fantastic. And yet, in Juanita, he sings with a deeper, not-quite-gravelly-but-maybe-you-know-what-I-mean quality; and I think it is sexy as heck. Ha ha. Like, I listen to his voice on that song and I am transported ... :D

CCofRR13 likes this.
  23. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I got to see Coco at work this past week at work and I love the film. Listening to the soundtrack on spotify, the Spanish tracks were promoted first so I got to listen and start appreciating them. In comparison to the previous Dia de Los Muertos feature, I loved the Book of Life but a jarring nuance I didn't like was listening to Book of Life in Spanish; it left certain English pop songs untranslated and American jokes references that didn't quite translate over. Coco on the other hand is equally translated well in both versions and there are many additional Easter eggs in the Spanish version that this website goes into.

As for Gael Garcia Bernal's singing voice, It's serviceable and probably meant to be a folk-like in comparison to Ernesto's professional take. I remember reading how Diego Luna had to get singing lessons for the Book of Life so Gael was probably the same way for Coco; Honestly though, I think he sounds more natural of a singer in the Spanish version.

24. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0

Haha...I am fully aware that this is a board FULL of enablers.....and ((HUGS)) to you all!!

25. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

It's because Pixar usually does Deep Meaning (as you accurately put it) or is so clever with their characters' name choices that I was so irked with Dante's name. I've just come to expect so much from them that lapses like this are so disappointing. As I have explained (and I think you and I are in agreement), the name just does not truly fit the role the dog plays. While I understand and agree that most/many people are familiar with the 'Divine Comedy'/'Dante's Inferno' but may not know the work itself, I would have expected Pixar to just write their story and name their characters accordingly and appropriately without (too much) concern of whether everyone understood the correlation. I understand that Pixar would want to make their story comprehensible and relatable to everyone, but when doing so (IMO) negatively impacts the integrity of the story itself ... . I think the story is strong enough that it'll work regardless of whether everyone understands every name origin and how it relates.

It's also true that we aren't exactly promoting scholarship much these days, but we should be - and this seems like a missed opportunity. Given the encouragement, some people might actually pick up a copy
    of Dante and read it after seeing Coco. Because I'd be shocked if the 'Divine Comedy' wasn't one of the influencing mediums Pixar used when writing the story.