Windy City Pin trading group is AWESOME

Discussion in 'Pin Trading Gatherings' started by MommaIvy, Sep 15, 2018.

1. MommaIvy

MommaIvy Member

0   0   0

I just wanted to say it was great to meet everyone today at the pin meet in Downers Grove. I was blown away by everyone’s trading collection!!! Omg I still can’t even wrap my mind around how many gorgeous pins I saw.

I also apologize but I have fibromyalgia so it’s hard for me to remember names. Thanks to everyone who taught me a lot, love my new pins, hope to see you next month.

If you are kinda new on here and hesitant to go to a trading event, just do it. This one was FANTASTIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. GorillasInTheIrishMist

GorillasInTheIrishMist Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I live about 45 minutes away from this group and have been thinking of trying to get to one of their gatherings! I met some people from it at the Animation Celebration event. I don't have a lot of traders but baby steps are required in pin trading I guess! :D

MommaIvy likes this.
  3. MommaIvy

MommaIvy Member

0   0   0

Lol it’s true. I showed up with my 8 trader pins and even though I felt silly when some people had thousands (not even exaggerating). Everyone said they too started small and they were really encouraging.

Hiddenmickey2018 likes this.
  4. pins4twin

pins4twin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Thanks so much for attending the pin meet today Ivy. Glad you had such an awesome time.

MommaIvy likes this.
  5. Hiddenmickey2018

Hiddenmickey2018 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Glad to have met you. Don’t worry about feeling silly, no one thought that. Pin trading can be more about netorking with people than it is about what you have or don’t have. Sometimes I find it better to get to know people as that can be rewarding or even more than trading. You never know what that personal connection will lead to. Sometimes it may even result in a pin that they see that think you might like.

Other words of advice:
    #1 advice figure out what you like and try to stick to that. Or your cc bill I’ll scare you. Develop a connection to what you want to collect. I collect this because it reminds me of... I think this character/movie because...
    If it’s too good to be true. It is. Be very weary of high pressure sales type traders. Ask yourself why do they want this trade so bad.
    Follow your gut. Ask questions.
    Very rarely does that fancy pin you want go away forever.
    If the pin looks odd trust your gut or do your reasearch.

Don’t Buy every shiny thing in sight. Take it slow.
    Be careful when buying online. Some are great some are frauds. Some don’t know what they have.

Some people or places online charge a lot more for a pin or park pickup than others.

Have fun

MommaIvy likes this.
  6. Stewbaws

Stewbaws Newbie collector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm from the UK but I'm in Chicago working in October and I'm pretty sure I can get across (just need to work out how to get there from where I'll be staying).

Would be awesome to get to a pin event :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7. MommaIvy

MommaIvy Member

0   0   0

Are you going to be in downtown Chicago or a suburb? There are some public transit options. If you want I can send some links on the buses and Metra (our commuter rail).

8. Stewbaws

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'll be staying in Pullman. I'm familiar with getting into the city (Metra into Millennium from 115th which is my closest station) but further than that I could do with some help from the experts ;)

The meet is further west is it?

9. MommaIvy

MommaIvy Member

0   0   0

Sending a PM with info on Union Station to Downers Grove, IL

Stewbaws likes this.
  10. Stewbaws

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Amazing thanks!

I've got some pin deliveries coming to me in Chicago as well when I arrive so I'll be able to bring them along. My collection is small I'm sure in comparison to others but I'm just getting started :)

MommaIvy and Hiddenmickey2018 like this.
  11. MommaIvy

MommaIvy Member

0   0   0

My collection is really small too but you’ve got to start somewhere!

12. theparkhopprincess

theparkhopprincess New Member

0   0   0

September was my first time going to WCPT too! It was a really fun group. I can't make this month's meet, but excited to go back in Nov!

Stewbaws likes this.