• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Would you bid on a DPF auction without a leaderboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you bid on a DPF auction without a leaderboard?

broncobilly83

Scrooge McDuck's #1 Nickel
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
297   0   0
I was thinking about trying something while on vacation in a couple of weeks. You know how we have auctions and people asking for leaderboards daily, etc? If it was a highly sought after pin, would people still bid on it knowing there would be no leaderboard, kind of like a silent auction, but in this case you can see other bids, just not what I am thinking about as high bids? I was thinking, if I could get someone to bump it daily for me, etc, that I might put up a pin for a 7 day auction, starting it the night before I leave (Nov 6th) and ending it the night I return (Nov 13th).

What do others think? What type of pin would you try bidding on with that scenario?

Last edited:
Designer villains auction barely had ANY leaderboards (well, at least from my end :lol:) and people still bid that up a storm.

I think you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you didn't. People get more competitive when they see they aren't winning. Then they will add to or change up their bid to try and win. I think you would get less stellar bids...not bad bids but maybe not as great as you could. KWIM?

I think you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you didn't. People get more competitive when they see they aren't winning. Then they will add to or change up their bid to try and win. I think you would get less stellar bids...not bad bids but maybe not as great as you could. KWIM?

Ditto...

While i would bid on a pin with no leaderboard, without the leaderboard I wouldn't up my bid regardless of who and what else is bid.

I like this idea. I kind of despise leader boards. The auctioneer can easily put the bid they like most, the one they are likely to chose regardless, in 2nd place just so that bidder can add more. With a silent auction, you go all in without knowing where you stand, so you might as well make your offer the best it can be instead of waiting until the last day to increase it.

I probably wouldn't, I spend a lot of money one ebay and I go to local auctions and I like knowing where I stand. I do like Echo's idea of just one bid, it's how a real silent auction is done.

The only way I would bid is if like people were only allowed one bid each.

Not sure just one offer would work, someone could easily one-up the previous person without allowing the previous person to bid again. The only way that would work is if all bids were sent via private message.

The only way I would bid is if like people were only allowed one bid each.

Ohhhhh. now theres a cool idea!!!!

I would bid in an auction that was a one bid only with no leaderboard or updates! That would work!!

snip: add/edit::

Do it as a one bid auction, no leaderboard, and perhaps make it a "max bid" like i do with my simple auctions. I do a 3 pin max bid for some of my auctions. It tends to make people think about which pins to bid rather than just "vomiting pins" for their bids. You obviously could do whatever number of pins you wanted too lol....

Last edited:
I would bid for sure and I would up my bid depending on what others are bidding as I would be able to tell to some degree if I am in the ballpark or just watching from the stands... LOL

The one bid option is something I thought of trying but everyone would just wait until the last hour or so to post their bid anyway so it would be kinda pointless in a way...

Oh by the way... I would suggest putting up a PoDM for auction... LOL

Do it as a one bid auction, no leaderboard, and perhaps make it a "max bid" like i do with my simple auctions. I do a 3 pin max bid for some of my auctions. It tends to make people think about which pins to bid rather than just "vomiting pins" for their bids. You obviously could do whatever number of pins you wanted too lol....

I think Pixie might be on top something here. If you make a max of 3 pins per bid, it is makes it hard to one up someone by just putting all the pins they offered plus one, since you can only have 3 at max or some number like that in the end.

While I personally think the three pin max idea is cool, if it's a really high end pin, it pretty much eliminates someone who, say, is new and has a bunch of lower end traders but no higher end ones. If they bid three of their 'best' pins which happen to be, say, two LE 1000s and a new open edition, they probably have no chance against someone who bids three auction 250s or whatever. Just saying it would discourage some people from bidding because they'd know right off the bat that they haven't got a chance, so why bother. Some people do 'pin diarrhea' as psycho so classily pit it because they have quantity, not quality and have no choice.

Why not bid? If I really like something I would bid whatever I could, the leader board could help me know what my chances are but I'll bid on what I like and I won't if I don't..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back