• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmao...well here is a good vid to tell ppl what not to do..and also will tell you who is getting the pins. The real sad part is that many ppl are doing what this kid is doing and thats whats wrong with our hobby...

Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens in almost all collectible hobbies and people justify it based on price or that they can easily pawn it off on someone else for something that is probably better and genuine.

The best way to combat this sort of thing is to educate yourself and as many as will listen. That is why these types of hobby sites and communities are so valuable to rookies and veterans alike. The shared knowledge and communication is what will help to lessen the impact of those willing to feed the dark side of any hobby.

With that, I must send kudos to those who have taken the time and effort to help educate other hobbyists, either through educational posts or by simply speaking to other traders and showing them the ropes.

hahaha wow. I think the worst part is the denial he has. He is part of the problem! Now he will go and trade them at the parks...ughhhh what an idiot

Doomscarf - did you post that reply in YouTube? Same user name?

Hahahha, I like how the most recent comments are from DPF people! I think I'll add my 2 cents to his video.

I will say that this (abundance of scrappers) is a VERY frustrating aspect of pin trading. But it does not take much time to educate yourself.

well looking at the comments the user The1andonlyTikiCarol seems deluded as well thinking that they are error pins and that there is no sucj thing as a fake pin.

Ok, so my take on scappers:
All pins Disney are basically made in the same place. Some are not up to Disney's strict standers hence are seconds.
Nothing is wrong with people who collect these seconds, as is nothing is wrong with people who buy seconds for any product from outlet stores.
Yes, those products in most cases are seconds too.
Any one who looks down their nose IS an elitist who needs to get a grip.
They are just Shirts, Shoes, PINS whatever.
This has really gotten me motivated.
Subscribe to my channel for upcoming Disney Pin Video's.

jeeeesh!

So I guess I should buy bootleg movies and fake Louis Vuitton bags too right?

Please do not trade your pins. It is not fair to people who are legitimately buying authentic pins from the parks and then trading for your seconds. That is just not right.

Last edited:
Oh, and Bootlegs are different than seconds.
I never said bootleg.
Ignorance abounds in this hobby and feeds off it's self.
Though sadly it's been that way since the beginning.
Twisting what others say.

The parks dont sell second..and please dont b mad... we are all friends here in a hobby. Welcome to DPF... U can by real pins from members here for 2-3 bucks each and know the are good to trade and not scrappers. i do not like fakes or scrappers. they are not the same thing but both are bad. Just a heads up. A old CM from Disneyland is now in jail because he was selling scrappers and fakes on ebay. You are right about outlet stuff.. and please buy ur pins at a disney outlet or from a member here. Outlet pins from disney are real. The pins the guy in jail was selling were fake and scrapper only. The FBI and ICE said he maid over 2.5million on his fake and scrapper pins. most we all know were sold to ppl that didnt know they were bad bins or didnt care cuz they just want to save money and rip ppl off.

Nothing is wrong with people who collect these seconds, as is nothing is wrong with people who buy seconds for any product from outlet stores.

Oh, and Bootlegs are different than seconds.
I never said bootleg.
Ignorance abounds in this hobby and feeds off it's self.
Though sadly it's been that way since the beginning.
Twisting what others say.

Please note- scrappers are not what one would think of as "seconds". They are trash- their quality had been deemed by Disney to be unacceptable, and they've literally been thrown away. Disney doesn't sell them at all, especially not in their outlets.

The only reason they see the light of day is because dishonest workers in the factories pick them up and sell them for a 100% profit- AGAINST Disney's wishes. Basically? They're stealing and selling to uninformed consumers.

Why I don't put up with it? Basically, it offends me as:
A consumer (they're trying to pull a fast one on me)
An artist (none of this money goes to the copyright holder)
A collector (I'm not getting the intended quality for the product I want)

In addition, when one purchases directly from China in bulk, you're not just buying scrappers...sometimes you ARE purchasing straight-up bootlegs. There are a lot of pin factories over there. They get their hands on molds, then run off massive and cheaply made runs.

And the problem isn't as simple as "people collect what they want"- it's that the vast majority don't know what's going on...they think they're getting legit pins for cheap (but, really, common sense should come in to play there). But even worse...they're putting these pins on cast lanyards, and then they get passed on to other unsuspecting traders at the parks.

It's an ongoing problem that doesn't have an easy solution, except to avoid buying in bulk from China, or any seller that may seem as if they bought lots in China themselves, and is passing them off over here.

And no, Disney won't do anything about it- not sure why (probably too hard to battle for the amount of money involved). And no, I don't feel the solution is to "train" cast members to spot fakes, either- that's a can of customer service worms they don't want to open.

Oh, and as a side-note...Disney's outlets only carry clearance merchandise (i.e. stuff that's not selling, or has run its course in the stores). If they've ever carried damaged merchandise, it's happened once released. They have quality control for ALL their merchandise, so they wouldn't release what you consider 'seconds" on the outlet levels. As I stated earlier...that stuff goes to the trash, so what I assume you mean by "seconds" (clothes that come out with flaws, for example?) don't exist for Disney. That stuff goes in the trash.

No one has issue with buying pins from the outlets...they're Disney's outlets, why would that be a bad thing? Disney sets the price, Disney sells them. I'm there all the time.

In the end, you're going to believe whatever you want...but it's always good to listen to traders who have been around for a while and know what they're talking about. Once you have all the info, you can make whatever decision you want. But I think it's a major mistake to assume what's going on in China is in ANY way legit.

Every trader has to decide for his/herself as to what kind of moral code they want to carry. Do they want to be the kind of trader who supports thieves, and China's thriving counterfeit black market? Do they care about the people who end up with their fakes? Or are they just out for getting what they want, no matter what the ethical cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back