• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Your pin collecting preferences -- with card back? without? Does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your pin collecting preferences -- with card back? without? Does it matter?

sayshelen

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm planning a trip to WDW in May, and I've just gotten into pin collecting. Since I recently learned that there are San Francisco-specific pins at the SF DS, I thought it would be fun to buy a bunch and use them as traders when I go to Florida.

I was originally just planning to put them on a lanyard and go from there -- sort of liked the idea of spreading the cheer and leaving my fellow traders with a special SF item -- but I've started to notice how many pictures on these forums include the original packaging.

Do you find the original packaging of your pin important? Is this just a personal preference, sort of insurance that the pin was bought at Disney and is therefore legitimate? Would you be suspicious if I had a bunch of the same pin on my lanyard. Would you be less suspicious if I carried around a copy of the DS receipt detailing my purchase?

Phew! My intent is to have something cool to share when I get to WDW, but I want to make sure that traders actually think it's cool too! Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't care about the card in most cases. Although, like you said, in this age of fakes, having the card provides authenticity. What about putting one of each pin on your lanyard, and then carrying the rest in a backpack, camera bag, etc. Then if someone wants to trade, you can just take out the packaged pin. Or were you planning on using them for trading with CM's?

I love receiving pins on their original card. When I purchase traders from the parks or disney stores then I do keep the original cards and will mail them on the card!! :)

I wouldn't go as far as keeping the receipts as many people can tell legit pins apart from scrappers and counterfeits.

It is peronal preference and up to you. I know some people will not trade without original backing cards, but for a lot of people that is the last of their worries!!

Have a pintastic day!!

Martin :)

As long as the pin itself is in mint condition, I don't really care if it has a card or not.

If I'm trading for a pin that there are scrappers of though, it would make me feel a bit better to know the pin was on its original card.

I prefer to have the original cards, but it has never been a deal-breaker for me. If you have them, then I LOVE to have the original card. And what Hope suggests is perfect: just keep the cards stashed safely in a pocket in a backpack or bag.

It depends for me. If it is an uncommon pin card (like artwork supporting the pin), or if there are known scrappers out there, I usually like to receive a pin that is on the card or at least has the card with it. I do not mind if it has been off the card, but I at least ask before finalizing a trade or buy. For normal carded pins, If I am buying to help my traders, then I usually like it to be with it's card. If I am buying or trading it for myself, and no scrappers reported, then with or without card is fine for me

Depends on the card. The plain ones, I could care less. The themed ones, would be nice to have, but not a deal breaker. Sometimes the art off the card can be handy when making a background for a frame.

When I'm receiving a keeper pin, personally I don't care about the backer cards, unless the pin has a scrapper / counterfeit warning.

If I receive a trader on a backer card, I try to keep it on the card. I have a couple of traders that have a warning posted about them, so I'm definitely keeping those on their backer cards so that I can prove they're legit.

for me its not a big deal if I dont recieve the backer card. if it comes with it great if it doesnt then it doesnt matter as long as the pin is in good condition.

If the pin backer card has info on it like the POH pins I want the card for sure!! I used to take the backer cards off and tossed them when i first started trading, but now I keep them all on the cards especially if they are traders.

I prefer the pins be on their cards, if it's not the original, at least a matching card...some cards just complete the pin...if it is just a plain card though, it is not a deal breaker for me.

I don't know why, but pins always look more presentable for me when they are on their original cards. I love trading pins that don't look handled too much and prefer when its not even taken off the card. Good luck with your pin trading and have a good trip!

Agree with Kate - the POH cards have info on them so all my PoD, PoH collections remain on their original backing card. The rest are cast lanyard/hidden mickeys so no cards involved. However if I receive a pin on a backing card (original or not) then if I go on to trade/sell that pin then the card goes with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back