• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

your thoughts on backer etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
your thoughts on backer etiquette?

sayshelen

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Are backers sort of a "If you don't have them, you should speak up" sort of thing? I've definitely received pins from others that aren't on the backer, but since I don't care one way or another, I never paid much attention.

I recently traded away this pin:
pin82636

Because I had put it in my pin bag, I had taken it off the backer. I sent it to the recipient without the backer, not really thinking about it.

Today I got an email saying he/she was "very disappointed" that it wasn't "on the original backer (as shown on PinPics)." Of course I will do what I can to make it right, including purchasing a new pin from the SF Disney store if needed, but I guess I really felt like I got caught off guard here.

I just assumed that PinPics pictures were random, but do pictures of pins with backers mean that one 'should' ship with backers any more than pictures of pins without backers?

In the end, I should have just asked his/her preference before I sent, and I will definitely do that in the future. In the meantime, what do you guys think? What are you preferences about backers? Have you had any good/poor stories about backers in the past?

If it's a pin I've been looking for, I don't mind not having the backer card. I think it's personal preference.

I think it says right on the Pinpics site that you should *not* assume a pin comes with its backer, box etc, and if it is important to you, to ask beforehand. If the trader didn't ask you, how would you know it was important to them? I think you did fine and don't have anything to "make right".

My 2 cents

Laura

Most trades I've made didn't include original backer cards. If I have the original card, I will surely send it along with the pin. I always expect the pins not to come with them, and if they do its just an extra bonus I guess.

Yeah, if someone wants the backer card and that's a make-or-break issue for them, it's their responsibility to let you know that. They can't just assume you have cards for everything.

Yeah there is no way u shpuld go buy another pin just for the backer. It was their responsibility to let u know before the trade that they wanted it. I had had people adk and sometimes I have it and sometimes I don't. But I've never had not having the backer card break a trade. Its just an added bonus.

When trading pins, that's what we are sending each other: PINS. If the backer is a deal-breaker, then that needs to be clarified BEFORE the trade is finalized. And that should be the responsibility of the the trader who finds it so important.

Personally, I prefer the backing cards, but they are never a deal breaker. I do ask ahead of time to have them sent along if they are available, but never get upset if they are not.

Last edited:
I agree, you shouldn't feel responsible. If it is important to the person then they should ask if you have it. If they don't ask, they get what they get. The only expectation of the recipient should be that the pin arrives in good condition with no undisclosed broken pieces or major flaws.

I always ask about the conditon of the pin (is it on the card, is it mint, are you the original owner, etc.). If I want a card, it is my responsibility to ask for it!

I don't think you owe them anything. If they wish to reverse the trade, then I would be gracious and do that - just to be nice but not because I feel it is required!!

Backers are unimportant to me,though we keep most ours in a tub.The only time having a backer is really important to me is if the backer is essential to the pin (like the Tokyo character portrait series).

Before confirming a trade, I try to inform the other trader the pedigree of the pin (did I purchase it, does it still have its original card, etc) and tell them what condition I expect the pin I am receiving. For the vast majority of pins, backers simply are not important. However, certain pins backers are essential (e.g., PoH, Silver Jail Scene, etc.), but those are the exceptions not the rule. They had overall value to the presentation of the pin. (Also, if you are trading really old (1980s) pins, backers could increase the value of the pin; however, modern pins simply are too common for that to be an issue)

If the person trading for the pin needs / desires the backer, then it is their responsibility to ensure its part of the trade.

However, certain pins backers are essential (e.g., PoH, Silver Jail Scene, etc.), but those are the exceptions not the rule. They had overall value to the presentation of the pin.

Stole the words off my keyboard. Backer Cards like these:

pin77378

or

pin83792

I really think these should be included as they are unique to the specific pin/series. But if it's a regular Black Backer Card, DS.com card, Disney Store Card, Disney Store UK Card, WDI, DLRP, etc etc etc, then no. I don't think it should be included unless asked. I've had people straight up ask "Do you have the original card" before trading, and that is their prerogative. Definitely not the norm.

I usually tell the person if it IS on the card vs not telling if it isnt. I generally assume that the pins are NOT on cards as many have been traded multiple times and passed through many hands before reaching mine. Why should I assume that there is a backer card that has traveled the lengths too lol. I personally think its a pleasant surprise to open a trade and see the ORIGINAL backer card attached to the pin. Makes me smile :)

I'm with many others comments, don't automatically assume that a pin will be complete unless told. If you do feel guilty, I would do a tradeback but it's your call. Completeness OCD can go either way though, a person declined buying a vinylmation from me because it didn't have the card with it, ah well.

It's the responsibility of the person who needs the backer card to ask if it comes with. Otherwise, you get what you get.

A backer card is nice. It's even preferable especially if a pin has been scrappered or it's a special backer card with info or illustrations on it. But if you only want a pin with a backer card, then you need to ask if it's on the original card BEFORE you make the trade.

This is why if any of you out there ever received a Trade Assist from me, I state "if on original backing card, Tr8d? Please reply. Theank you." This is on about 95% of my request sent out. Not that I ever get 1% to reply but I do throw it out there.

I decided a few years ago not to have pin bags but baseball card holders for traders all my pins stay on their original card as a result its easier that way I found using pin bags a nuisance the only one I have has my dlrp ptn/pte second set in it and I kept them on original cards anyway Interestingly I dont keep cards in my collection though I think people are concerned about scrappers. Also bear in mind CM pins dont come on backers anyway
Jacqui

I dont mind if the pins come on the original card or not as its the pin I want not the piece of plastic which sits in a drawer or goes in the bin. Even getting my grails etc the backer card goes with the rest I have in a small bag where they stay until I need to use one. if people require the original then they should ask.

If I decide to keep a pin I normally bin the backer and if I later change my mind I dont have it...its my fault but is the backer really THAT important...(unless its themed with the pins)

To me, if I am collecting a set of pins, I like them on card because I like the presentation of them better. With that said, I am not going to turn down a trade because there is no card. Ultimately, it is the pin that is important to me not the card. In trading it is always good to have the original card as some people are just that picky. It is not your responsibility to say you don't have it but the responsibility of the person who wants it that way to ask. JMO

Hey,

I don't think you need to go buy another pin etc to try and "make it right". As other people have said if the person really wanted the pin to come on a backer card then they should have checked that out with you prior to the trade! I have traded and sold pins before that I no longer had the backing card for, I have also received pins with no backing card or sometimes the wrong one but really most people don't mind and if they did they usually asked in advance.

If this person wants to make a big issue about it then I would suggest telling her you will reverse the trade and send each other back the pins but to be honest it was her responsibility to check if she's that bothered about it!

xxx

When I was collecting just for me I didn't bother holding onto any backer cards. Now I hold onto them and keep them all in a drawer. I don't expect them when trading or buying so if they are on their cards it's a nice surprise! If I'm trading a pin with the backer, I make sure to tell the person I'm trading with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back