2020 Pin Event Update

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by figment919, Jul 9, 2020.

1. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Sad

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

And the Humanity...fellow Pin traders...nice day today overcast...waiting for PM showers...No event pins released today?

2. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    149   0   0

Agree... Would much rather be waiting in an hour long line to trade pins.

3. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

I wonder when they will release the information about the virtual event. Sorry for those of you who
    are missing it. The trading is so fun.

4. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Ah, got ya. I would gladly be sitting in the sun dripping sweat even though it's only early morning, waiting to get into the event center. And looking forward to how awesome that air conditioning is going to feel. :D
    Right now I should be asking some person next to me in line if they want to trade while we wait for our turn at the board. And hoping that they have a refresh right before we get there.
    But, I guess on the plus side, I am definitely saving a lot of money.

starry_solo likes this.
  5. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    149   0   0

Glass half full response, for sure. love it! :)

starry_solo likes this.
  6. FoolishMortal71

FoolishMortal71 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

I've been wondering the last couple of weeks if they were going to announce anything. If the pin catalogue is interesting, I would think about doing the virtual event.

7. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Same here. If there are enough pins in which I'm interested, I most definitely would want to participate. If I'm just interested in a few (or they should be easy to get), it might be cheaper to just get them on the secondary market. Of course, the best-case scenario would be for there to be no pins I want (but I don't think I can get that lucky).

FoolishMortal71 and timeerkat like this.
  8. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Based on how long it has been since they mentioned they were still going to do something, plus we are now past the original dates, and there has been no follow up information of any kind, even a reiteration that they are still planning, I don't think anything is going to actually happen this year. Sadly.

9. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

The way 2020 has been going, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. If the event ends up not happening, well, while I'll be disappointed, I think my credit card will be happy.

Jabberwocky, FoolishMortal71 and Ajk like this.
  10. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I'm guessing they're still working out the logistics of how to run a virtual trade event. Since it's never been done before, I'm sure it'll take at least a few months to finalize everything before delivering to us new information.

11. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    322   0   0

I had a crazy idea of how to do a virtual trading board. The participants can have a certain number of trading "tabs" and join a virtual queue. When it is their turn, they redeem one of the virtual tabs to get to a screen on a timer where there is a grid of pin images, and you can select two pins from the grid once your time is up. Then they would add in your virtual board picks to your RSP order when it's mailed. When you receive the actual pins you can be surprised at which ones are PP/AP.

Of course that is all wishful thinking and I don't think they would set up anything that intricate, but it's a fun thought.

12. summerskin

summerskin I control the weather

Rating - 100%
    83   0   0

This is brilliant. Like genius level thinking. I think we should be petitioning to Disney to have you hired to help run events.

slbrabham and timeerkat like this.
  13. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Beyond brilliant. And since there are online queues for virtual trade boards, they should be able to operate more than they do at the in-person event - meaning the wait should go much faster. The only delay should be to replace the pins that are claimed, which probably will have to be more often than the 30 minute refreshes because the participants aren't putting pins back onto the board, just removing them, but that shouldn't take too long.

If everything else can be conducted over zoom, I don't see why Disney can't find a way to make this happen virtually ... please!

timeerkat likes this.
  14. Gelatoni

Gelatoni Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

In some ways, this could actually be easier to implement. They have a box of pins for this activity and don't even have to do anything physically for the event. They show the stock image and the computer adds the pins to your order for shipping.

timeerkat likes this.
  15. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    147   0   0

All great ideas for the "virtual trading board"!! I have to think that if this event happens at all, its just going to be an RSP offer for what pins they had for "sale". Nothing like the trading boards at the events - way to much trouble and software design to go that route. They might just throw everything up on DS.com and let it go that way.

16. pins4twin

pins4twin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

I hope they don’t throw it up on shopDisney. What a nightmare that would be.

17. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

Do you suppose if they do that it will be like the 65th Anniversary stuff.

18. wonderbywonder

wonderbywonder Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I would think that something will still happen this year since 1) they announced that a virtual event will take place with new dates and 2) it's the 20th anniversary!!

Cheshirecat26 likes this.
  19. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

2020 Pin Event Date and Format Announced! Registraton is 7th October 1pm EST.

Merchandise Events
    Pin Catalogue: https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/dam/disney-world/shops/pin-event/2020_PinEvent.pdf

Celebrating Twenty Years of Disney Pins Virtual Event
    Join us virtually on November 13 and 14, 2020, as we connect with fellow pin traders to share some of our greatest memories in a whole new way!

For the past 20 years, we have gathered to celebrate the magic of pin trading. We’ve journeyed through time, shared Walt’s dream, met for a decade of memories, joined the circus, come face-to-face with Disney Villains, let our imaginations soar and had adventures like none other.

And now we are at a new milestone, where you will still have the chance to discover and purchase from the unique collection of pins created for this event.

Event Dates, Times, and Registration

• Date: Friday, November 13, 2020 and Saturday, November 14, 2020
    • Time: New content posted throughout the day, each day
    • Registration: Check back for registration information, available at 1:00PM Eastern time on Wednesday, October 7, 2020.
    About Celebrating Twenty Years of Disney Pins Virtual Event
    Although this event will take place virtually for the first time, we invite you to connect with longtime friends and make new ones in the pin-trading community —the family we’ve built together—no matter where you are.

Admission is $49.99 + tax per Guest and includes the following:

• Admission to two (2) virtual event days via personal computer or mobile device on November 13 & 14, 2020.
    • Opportunity to participate in the Random Selection Process to pre-purchase event pins, as well as purchase any remaining pins during the virtual event.
    • Opportunity to preview upcoming pin releases
    • Disney Artist and Merchandiser Panel
    • Opportunity to participate in a Blind Experiential Auction
    • Video content on various pin topics from familiar faces
    • Limited Edition Commemorative Gifts
      • Welcome Pin
      • Goodbye Pin
    • Downloadable art to commemorate the event
    • Guest interaction features

Pecosace, summerskin and DisneyJ like this.
  20. Rick195275

Rick195275 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

This is exciting! Do you know where to register on Wednesday?! Would love to get in on this!

21. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I believe you just refer back to the link that contains all the info on the pin release. They'll post a waiting room link to the registration.

22. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    322   0   0

Yay! I'm excited for concrete information on the event! But two days' notice for registration, yeesh! (Keep being you, Disney...)

I'm on the fence about registering, leaning towards doing it. The catalog looks great but there are few enough pins I'll need from the catalog that it might be cheaper to get them secondhand. That framed set, though...

starry_solo and summerskin like this.
  23. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

GUYS ONE OF THE DESIGNERS AT LAST YEAR'S EVENT HAD ASKED FOR IDEAS FOR THIS YEAR'S FROM THE EVENT ATTENDEES AND I'D TOLD HER IT WOULD BE COOL TO SEE COMPLETERS OF PIN SETS/PINS THAT COMPLIMENT PINS FROM PAST EVENTS AND HERE WE ARE. Obviously I'm probably not the only influence here but I still made that suggestion and it feels gratifying either way lol.

24. FoolishMortal71

FoolishMortal71 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Ah, rats! I just realized I'll be at WDW those days so I couldn't take full advantage of the event. Not sure if it's worth registering just to order the pins without being able to take part in the whole thing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  25. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I might try for it. It'd be interesting to experience this event stress-free while keeping warm on my couch. I'd watch the panel which I missed out on at the 2018 event because I was too busy trading at the tables or boards to really listen when everything feels like such a mad rush.

timeerkat and FoolishMortal71 like this.