• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Completed Game: All Aboard this Giveaway

Completed Game: All Aboard this Giveaway

summerskin

I control the weather
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I thought it might be fun to take a ride back to the past this weekend.

giphy.gif

I swung by the Walt Disney Family Museum recently and picked up this pair of Railroad themed pins. I would love to give the pair of them away to a member here. It's been a while since I did a giveaway and think it's time to bring some of that fun Disney sharing back to our community. The rules are posted below.

1PPoBLf.png

RULES
1. Must be a DPF member by the time this is posted and willing to send me your address for shipping.
2. Giveaway will run until Monday September 6th at 8 PM PST.
3. To enter, all you need to do is share your favorite character from any Disney media made before Walt's death in 1966 and tell us why you love them. It can be from live action, animated movies, shorts, etc. I will show a sample entry below.

SAMPLE ENTRY

My favorite character from while Walt was alive is from 20,000 leagues under the sea. I love squids and adore monster movies; this is a combination of the best of both worlds. It is an amazing and innovative animatronic(especially for the time period) that is still thrilling and awe inspiring today. You can't get better than a giant cephalopod.

KRyin8s.jpg

Weirdly, Snow White has been my favorite princess since I was a kid. I say “weirdly” because in real life, I am SO not about a helpless teenage girl falling for some random dude she met at a well who will provide for her… and I am even LESS about housework. But for some reason she always struck a sweet spot with me. Maybe because we are both pasty white brunette princesses?

But anyway, I’m not gonna choose her as my favorite (mostly because of the whole housework thing). Instead, I have to go with my main man, Dopey. Just because OMG he is so adorable, and, well… DOPEY!

This is so sweet of you. Such lovely pins! I was just saying in the thread on the Cuckoo clock series that I would love for one of those to be Disneyland railroad or Casey Jr. themed because I love the trains. *fingers crossed*

One of my all time favorite Disney characters will forever be Donald Duck. I love his ridiculous over the top attitude and that he gets away with things no one else could. He always just cracked me up as a kid. Now I appreciate a little more the nuances of Walt Disney having created him specifically to do the “naughty” stuff he couldn’t really have Mickey do anymore once parents started wanting Mickey as the wholesome role model.

I also love that there are so many Donald adjacent characters: the nephews and uncle and other extended family that he has all around giving him a richer backstory than the other main characters; the Three Caballeros and the use of Donald as a cultural ambassador (even if a bit clunky I appreciate the attempt); etc. There’s just so much to love in association with my main guy!

Last edited:
Please don’t include me for the giveaway because I want another awesome DPF member to enjoy the chance :)

but when talking about favorite characters before Walt’s death, I just had to chime in about my love for Mickey Mouse. I can’t remember where, but I read somewhere that Walt Disney when originally coming up with Mickey saw him as an actor who took on roles. So he “plays” Steamboat Willie, Brave Tailor, etc… I mean, having a love for writing myself that just endeared me to Walt’s imagination the way he sees his characters ;)

I’ll look forward to catching up on this thread- such a great discussion starter and sweet to have a giveaway for it @summerskin ! <3

What a great question. I know you said anything but for some reason your wording made me think of live action only (or maybe it was your gif) - so I'd have to go with Bert from Mary Poppins. He's so positive and jovial; seemingly works a thousand different jobs; and is always around when you need a friend.

Thanks for hosting this. I keep thinking we should go to the family museum and somehow it just never happens.

My favorite is Maleficent. She’s an elegant yet vengeful, imperious, and menacing villain. I like anything about magic and sorcery. She bewitches, teleports, and metamorphoses. I love dragons: Tiamat, Ancalagon, Bahamut, Shenron, Maleficent!

I‘m only playing the game. Please do not enter my name for the pins.

What a hard question! XD

Mine would have to be from the last year of Walt’s life, and from the last short film produced by Walt… Eeyore.

That poor sweet donkey pulled my heartstrings from his first gloominess. I love his coloring and cuddly shape, and that no matter how “down” he felt, he was always polite and accepting. And even as a kid, it wasn’t so much that I wanted to cheer him up… I just wanted to love him.

I had an office decorated with all the Eeyores my friends and employees gave me, and Eeyore was my very first Disney pin.

He’s always had a special place in my heart and home. :)

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a fun question! Been enjoying reading everyone's answers! :) I'll choose one from a cartoon . . . Gus-Gus from "Cinderella"! One of my all-time favorites from Disney - period. He is sooooooo cute and soooooo sweet and when he talks it just . . . -sigh-

If I could pick an "inanimate" character . . . it would be the bit included in Amanda's picture - the submarine "Nautilus"! Another total favorite. I'm enamored with submarines and diving anyway, and the Disney Nautilus is soooooooo iconic! (If you go to Disney Springs, in the Marketplace Co-Op store 28&Main, they have a display above the cash registers that has a poster of blue-prints of the Nautilus! So wish they'd have had that poster for sale! :) )

Well, it took me awhile to pick one . . . but it would have to be Prince Charming from the animated Cinderella. Definitely the standard for Disney Princes, in my book. I mean, that voice, he waltzes beautifully, perfect uniform. Sigh . . .
EPOg.gif

That said, I do love Jiminy Cricket a TON (even have a very small collection of Jiminy pins) -- not to mention the animals in Cinderella, the Seven Dwarves . . . and I've always had a soft spot for Tiger Lily from Peter Pan.

Thanks @summerskin for hosting this giveaway! This is fun, and it's been awhile since stuff like this was on DPF. Sis and I really need to host one of these soon . . . we have a really fun idea!

For me, I will go with Nana and Michael (Michael probably just inches Nana out for my favorite of the two) from Peter Pan. They remind me so much of how my littlest loves our pup.

As a side note, if you ever get the chance to go to the musical “Finding Neverland,” I highly recommend it. By far, it is in the top five musicals we have attended.

I have to go with Figaro, who has been my favorite Disney character since I was about 3 years old.

giphy.gif

My first pet was a tuxedo cat named Oreo, so of course I loved seeing a kitty that looked just like her in the movies and on tv. Parts of Pinocchio scared me as a child, but I always loved the bits with Figaro.

c73a7a691ac72a123f53851138a39910.jpg

Fun fact - Figaro was also Walt’s favorite part of the film, which is why he decided to have him live on after the movies and join the cartoon shorts as Minnie’s pet!

6325b27876bdc369a7ab3ab77354b4c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think one of my favorite characters that Walt brought to life would be John(the father) from the Carousel of Progress. Originally Premiering at the 1964 World’s Fair, it is considered the only attraction at WDW that Walt himself had a hand in it’s creation. It’s just that sense of awe when most park goers would rather skip it entirely leaving a semi-empty theater seating to yourself…
59ce1bd210e6d4a405181bd404da1b89.jpg

Back