Are These Pins Counterfits?

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by hiddenjumprope, Feb 20, 2021.

1. hiddenjumprope

hiddenjumprope Possibly a mermaid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Hello, I mentioned I'd probably make this post in my intro post.

So a few months ago I got back into Disney Pin collecting, and found some I liked on Ebay. I didn't realize how common counterfeits were otherwise I would have been more careful. I knew enough from searching what scrappers were when I came across the huge lots of pins to not get those, so I got individual listed ones with backer cards/pinbacks etc. I am now pretty sure some, especially the ones that came from the same seller, are fake (and another that is a LE and the seller had more than one), but a couple others I think are legit or am unsure. So I figured I'd ask so I know for sure (or at least, get a better idea as I know it can be "unsure") so I can make sure to keep them aside/never sell/trade them. I'll also remove them from my "owned" list on Pinpics.

Here is the imgur album. I tried to take high quality pics, if anyone needs/wants more at different angles or something let me know.

Notes for each pin (same order as imgur album, included pinpics ref. # if needed. The ones in italics came from the same ebay seller and I think might be fake):
    • Enchanted Emblems- Atlantis #140016
      • I am pretty sure this is legit, I got it just after I missed out on getting it on Disney store online and the back looks fine, came with backer card with proper mickey backs..
    • Lilo and Stitch Reading #132405
      • I thought the tales going off the book was a sign of being counterfit, but the pinpics picture has the same thing
      • Otherwise it looks legit, I don't see bordering or defects. It did come on a backer card with proper mickey backs.
    • Pua Among Flowers #136682
      • Front looks fine, but back has an obvious bordering problem on most sides.
      • Came on a backer card with proper mickey backs.
    • Wall-E (Cast Lanyard) #120245
      • Front looks fine, back though has bordering on one small part. Didn't come on a backer, but did have mickey back.
    • FairyTales 2019 Max #135725
      • 99% sure this one is fake since it's a LE and it has slight bordering on back. Ebay seller also still has listing up, has sold 23 and has 2 available. So yeah, probably don't need confirmation on this one but posting the pics might be useful?
    • Bambi with a Flower #133170
      • Front looks fine, I think I see slight bordering on back. It did come on a backer card with proper mickey backs.
    • Ariel with Castle & Signature (Doesn't seem to be on PinPics)
      • Most recent one, I am hoping this is real... no idea. Since I just got this today I can show a pic with the backer card, I did keep the backer cards for the ones above that came with them but not sure which went with what except for the Lilo & Stitch one since it had flowers and was white. There is some slight defects in the lighter green fins by her waist that i noticed, but otherwise seems to be fine and I don't notice any other issues. I might still look for a replacement due to defects in the fin areas but not sure the best way to go about it since I now know eBay is a bit sketchy. I found one promising listing and the seller sent me pics of the back but I don't know.
    Thank you for your help!

2. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Those are nice pins.
    I think Enchanted Emblems looks ok.
    max seems to be missing a FAC number in the box that is blank.

The cast lanyard won’t have a backer card, it’s like hidden mickeys here in the US....well, except the super completer Mickey carnivale mask....they aren’t usually sold on backer cards.

Ariel with castle and signature just came out this year? Late last year? I thought I saw it on the shop Disney website.

3. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    157   0   0

The Paris Pua looks odd (has a border) and agree about Max not having that box completed with FAC. Maybe someone who has Max can weigh in? I have Paris Pua (2 of them) and will post a picture of mine shortly.

The rest seem okay based on photos.

Ajk likes this.
  4. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

To help others, here are the pix (I don't typically like to click on outside links):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Disneychildwithin likes this.
  5. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

6. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

7. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

8. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

9. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

10. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

11. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

You did a good job taking good pictures that show the pins up close. It would also be better to do a plain white or black background. Colorful backgrounds tend to distort the colors of the pin for some reason.

So, to answer your many questions.

1. Enchanted Emblems - I don't collect this series, but it seems to look fine. I haven't heard of any scrappers of this pin.

2. Lilo & Stitch Reading - same as #1.

3. Pua among flowers - I will defer to @TheMickeyMouseRules , but I thought having a border on Paris pins was not uncommon.

4. Wall-E Cast Lanyard - @timeerkat may be our resident Paris Cast Lanyard refresh series expert. I think she (at one time) had a complete set.

5. Fairy Tales Max - it is suspicious that there is a blank box on the back, rather than a FAC, as @bookhugger mentioned.

6. Bambi with a Flower - same as #1.

7. Ariel with Castle - same as #1. This pin came out less than a month ago. Here is a picture of the actual pin (on card) from a user on Pin Trading Database:

[​IMG]

I don't think it has been faked yet.

12. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    157   0   0

@starry_solo is absolutely correct. I should have looked at my pins before responding to the post - my bad (I think sometimes we worry about fakes/scrappers more than we should...) Each of my Pua pins were obtained from different/unrelated Paris/UK traders which I have every reason to believe would only trade me legit pins. The backs of both of my Pua Paris pins appear to be identical to the picture from @hiddenjumprope . Picture below:

[​IMG]

13. hiddenjumprope

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Yeah I saw it on the shop as well, and regretted not buying it when I saw it (just like the Atlantis Enchanted Emblems) so I went to ebay to get one right away. But I know that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't counterfeits/scrappers as I read on here some have come out before the pin has been released, so that was my concern. And gotcha, I had a feeling that was the case (for the cast lanyard) but I am not too familiar with how things fully work so I wasn't sure, just felt I should explain it didn't come with one since I mentioned the ones that did.
    Yeah, I had a feeling the Max pin should have something in that box.
    Ah sorry, I even wondered when taking the pics if I should take out some paper or move my mousepad (I have a huge long "gaming" mousepad that looks like space on my desk) to instead have the wood of my desk showing to make the background white, but figured this was ok. I'll do that in the future. Best lighting is on my desk as I used my OTT-LITE (aimed away as it was too shiny directly on the pins) to illuminate for the best clarity.
    Good to know about the paris pins! I was worried as that seller is based in the US and has a lot of Paris pins, I don't know if they just have a contact in Paris or what, so I got suspicious. They have a ton of good reviews though and nothing saying they sell counterfeits or scrappers so I wasn't sure. I am very happy to know they are all probably real (save for Max).

Still might by another Ariel with Castle due to the defects though, because I am weird and picky. Thanks also for posting the pics in the thread, only reason I didn't was because of the size and I didn't want to shrink them if anyone wanted to zoom in. If I post pics in the future I'll put them in the thread.

Thank you! I am so happy to know all these pins save for Max are probably good. Because that would have been an expensive mistake! They each were about $20 or more. It sucks the Max one is probably fake, but I really wanted this pin as my family had an old english sheepdog named Fritz... before we came to that name, I wanted to name him Max or Dexter and I had NO CLUE the old english sheepdog in The Little Mermaid was named Max until I mentioned it to a friend at school and she laughed and told me. Despite my name being Arielle, having red hair and blue eyes, I haven't seen the whole movie yet. And I'm 28. I've watched the TV show though. My mom did not name me after the mermaid btw, she actually considered not naming me Arielle because of it lol. Anyway, I really want to collect Max pins because of this. I'll try to keep my eye out for a legit one but can use this one for my ita bag or something at least.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    starry_solo likes this.
  14. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

@hiddenjumprope

I don’t know if the Max you have is real or fake. I’ll post a picture of mine as I bought mine directly from Disney at the event. I’m not the best with pictures but maybe we can use it for comparison.

Here’s the back of my Max pin.
    [​IMG]

I do know the pin has been scrapped as multiple ones have been sold from a known scrapper reseller on the auction site.

The empty box on the back of the pin is not a sign of it being a scrapper. The event pins have the box so the artist can sign it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021 at 5:50 AM
  15. hiddenjumprope

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Ah good to know! Sounds like it'll be hard for me to find an authentic one.
    Looking between yours and mine, it seems like the tell is the slight bordering on mine in the waffling but that seems to be it. Thanks for posting the picture!

16. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Ooh, I never thought of a space for an artist signature!

hiddenjumprope likes this.
  17. hiddenjumprope

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Yeah, that's a really cool idea! I'd love to find a pin with a signature or get one myself, but since I don't live near Florida or California I doubt it'll happen...

Also I am moving to Finland sometime this year or next which will make my collecting a bit harder xD Though I have friends and family who'd be willing to accept shipments for me so that'll make things easier.