• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

QUESTION Are these real, fake, or scrappy? Please help!

QUESTION Are these real, fake, or scrappy? Please help!

JaimeJ258

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these pins and wanted to get some info on them. After tons of websites, Mickey waffle backs, nubs, stamps, most are this BUT there are some that aren’t articles, my head is spinning. I need help from the experts. :)
Please let me know if I need to post better pictures. TY!!
I broke these into 4 posts.

446e2e4cef0f92ca9689b23e9580b6c1.jpg

8f75a704e5c64d0f5afbb3ad808f969c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found these pins and wanted to get some info on them. After tons of websites, Mickey waffle backs, nubs, stamps, most are this BUT there are some that aren’t articles, my head is spinning. I need help from the experts. :)
95e9cb15c4218d6bbe2d212323a70108.jpg

9c77c16af50602c200f3cd28d098d863.jpg

14635fcfc2372b9ee3e1e15e377ce2b7.jpg

a7b12e84ce6b7076d63a806939e8b168.jpg

5f41cf76d2cf2cbf1da2c8106890bf09.jpg

fac3a5ba1f96b70da4805e4c4a49751d.jpg

I went ahead and merged the threads. You don't need to post a new thread for each photo. Just a new post in one thread will do. :)

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if I needed a separate post for each. I was told it was best to do 1-4 pins. I probably misunderstood. lol.

I think the 4 pins per photo is fine, and don't need to have individual pics. It just makes everything cleaner for each person to have a single thread to ask about all their pins, otherwise it could get spammy looking if everyone did it one pic per post.

That’s what I was afraid of. I should have read up on it before I bought them. TY!

So first, here are some clues that people look at to evaluate the pins.

Front of Pin Clues
  1. Hidden Mickey Icon Shape
  2. Coloring
  3. Lots of dips in the enamel especially, combined with looking either unpolished, or like a shiny, soft enamel in
  4. Location the pin is from vs where the pin was found.
Back of Pin Clues
  1. Side Nubs - Are they there when they are supposed to be? Are they the right height? Are they the right pointiness?
  2. Post - Does it look like it's supposed to for this pin?
  3. ODPT Logo - The angle between the points on the Starburst is supposed to be greater than 90°
  4. Font and Spacing - Is the font correct, is their proper spacing, are the words squished
  5. Spelling Errors
  6. Texture in the Information Boxes
  7. Mickey Waffle pattern
  8. Border / Ridges around the edge of the pin when they aren't supposed to be there

Photo 1

Pinocchio - His nose isn't supposed to be yellow. Look at the difference in font between that pin and the Dumbo one next to it? See how clear the Dumbo one is, and smushed the Pinocchio one is? Verdict - Fake

Dumbo - I think this one is real. I have this pin, and everything matches it up, including the alignment of the Mickey waffle.

Pear - Look at the box that says Hidden Mickey pin, it is also supposed to look more like the one on the Dumbo pin. The Mickey Waffle isn't the right configuration. On the front it looks like it may be a little dippy and the silver Mickey not quite right, but it's a little unclear. Verdict - Fake

Acorn - Look at the spikes on the starburst logo. Less than 90°. The Mickey Icon on the front looks blobby, but again a little unclear. Verdict - Fake

Photo 2

Sebastian Cancer - There are supposed to be nubs on both sides of the post. Verdict - Fake

Koda Alphabet - Ditto, missing nubs. Coloring is very wrong. Less than 90°. Verdict - Fake

Grapes Chaser - This one is hard to tell. I am leaning toward fake because there are inconsistencies in the spacing of the Mickey waffle pattern and I think the text is supposed to look clearer, like the Dumbo from Photo 1.

Hop Lo Mushroom - I am really not sure about this one.

Pink Lanyard - The front looks looks pretty underfilled, and dippy. The starburst spikes are less than 90°. Verdict - Fake

The other photos get into pins, I either don't own or are less familiar with.

Photo 3

Cupcakes - These look pretty good to me

Puffle - There were a lot of fake Puffles, the ridge around the edge is not a good sign

Chip Tsum Tsum - It looks like the enamel is underfilled, and it has that shiny gleen a lot of fakes have

Photo 4

Up - I think I own this pin, but not sure where it is to check

Toy Story Land Alien - This is a pin from Shanghai Disneyland. If it were authentic, it would have more value as a person-to-person trade than to put on a CM lanyard. And while it is sometimes possible to find a Japanese guest putting cheap Tokyo pins on lanyards, it is a unicorn to find someone putting real Shanghai pins on a lanyard

Nemo & Pooh Cutie - I'm not sure about these, and would want to see and feel them. These are from booster packs that could have been put on lanyards, but there are fakes of these out there too.

Hi. I have the cupcakes and I will pull them out tomorrow. Mine are from an older release and do not have
FAC #s on them, but I'm pretty sure the Minnie one has a cutout at the top where the silver is on your pin.

I have a 'gained early' yellow fruit Mickey Icon Hidden Mickey pin, but it is in a shadow box, so unwilling to pull it out (ie, it is not the one pictured below). I was able to locate a fake yellow fruit (and it IS pictured below). I also located the red icon fruit from the same 2017 set and this one has been in my traders for many years.

So... Red fruit I am pretty sure is legit (as much as we can know for any pin from a cast lanyard.) Yellow fruit is likely fake.

Perhaps difficult to tell, but the real pin back side is 'less rough' looking especially for the PT logo and boxes with words. There is a border on the yellow icon back side waffle pattern. The post base is also a difference between the pins.

Best advice I have... learn about fakes and scrap, if this is of interest for future trading, but ultimately in the here and now... enjoy the new pins! :)

1000003871.jpg
1000003893.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 'gained early' yellow fruit Mickey Icon Hidden Mickey pin, but it is in a shadow box, so unwilling to pull it out (ie, it is not the one pictured below). I was able to locate a fake yellow fruit (and it IS pictured below). I also located the red icon fruit from the same 2017 set and this one has been in my traders for many years.

So... Red fruit I am pretty sure is legit (as much as we can know for any pin from a cast lanyard.) Yellow fruit is likely fake.

Perhaps difficult to tell, but the real pin back side is 'less rough' looking especially for the PT logo and boxes with words. There is a border on the yellow icon back side waffle pattern. The post base is also a difference between the pins.

Best advice I have... learn about fakes and scrap, if this is of interest for future trading, but ultimately in the here and now... enjoy the new pins! :)

View attachment 17325
View attachment 17327

I have spent tons of hours reading up on them but it’s been difficult trying lo locate pics of authentic pins with the back. Pinpics only had a few.

I have spent tons of hours reading up on them but it’s been difficult trying lo locate pics of authentic pins with the back. Pinpics only had a few.

The pin databases are all crowd sourced (pinpics, pinandpop, pintradingdb, collectiblepintrader, disneypinventory, mypincentral.)

I mostly help with pinandpop and pintradingdb and I periodically add pictures of the backs of pins (mostly to pintradingdb.com.) Probably should add more, but just keeping up with minimal data is challenging enough. Definitely need more help from those who want to share good info.

Photo 1

Pinocchio - His nose isn't supposed to be yellow. Look at the difference in font between that pin and the Dumbo one next to it? See how clear the Dumbo one is, and smushed the Pinocchio one is? Verdict - Fake

Dumbo - I think this one is real. I have this pin, and everything matches it up, including the alignment of the Mickey waffle.

Pear - Look at the box that says Hidden Mickey pin, it is also supposed to look more like the one on the Dumbo pin. The Mickey Waffle isn't the right configuration. On the front it looks like it may be a little dippy and the silver Mickey not quite right, but it's a little unclear. Verdict - Fake

Acorn - Look at the spikes on the starburst logo. Less than 90°. The Mickey Icon on the front looks blobby, but again a little unclear. Verdict - Fake

Photo 2

Sebastian Cancer - There are supposed to be nubs on both sides of the post. Verdict - Fake

Koda Alphabet - Ditto, missing nubs. Coloring is very wrong. Less than 90°. Verdict - Fake

Grapes Chaser - This one is hard to tell. I am leaning toward fake because there are inconsistencies in the spacing of the Mickey waffle pattern and I think the text is supposed to look clearer, like the Dumbo from Photo 1.

Hop Lo Mushroom - I am really not sure about this one.

Pink Lanyard - The front looks looks pretty underfilled, and dippy. The starburst spikes are less than 90°. Verdict - Fake

The other photos get into pins, I either don't own or are less familiar with.

Photo 3

Cupcakes - These look pretty good to me

Puffle - There were a lot of fake Puffles, the ridge around the edge is not a good sign

Chip Tsum Tsum - It looks like the enamel is underfilled, and it has that shiny gleen a lot of fakes have

Photo 4

Up - I think I own this pin, but not sure where it is to check

Toy Story Land Alien - This is a pin from Shanghai Disneyland. If it were authentic, it would have more value as a person-to-person trade than to put on a CM lanyard. And while it is sometimes possible to find a Japanese guest putting cheap Tokyo pins on lanyards, it is a unicorn to find someone putting real Shanghai pins on a lanyard

Nemo & Pooh Cutie - I'm not sure about these, and would want to see and feel them. These are from booster packs that could have been put on lanyards, but there are fakes of these out there too.

Thank you! It’s been tough trying to figure these out. Some of them I knew, especially the ones with the wrong colors such as Koda, but wanted to throw them in. I would love if the Toy Story one was real! . With that being said I don’t think pin collecting is for me. I really appreciate your help!

I'm sorry you don't want to collect pins, but I totally understand.

There was a time when PinPics would not publish the back so as not to encourage counterfeiting.

I'm sorry you don't want to collect pins, but I totally understand.

There was a time when PinPics would not publish the back so as not to encourage counterfeiting.

That makes sense though. I ended up just giving them to a friend that is taking her kids to Disney in a couple of weeks. They are super excited and can’t wait to trade. So it was a win win… I learned a ton and there are 2 happy kiddos.

Back