Beloved tales, or film strips?

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by IrvineLotus, Nov 25, 2020.

?

Would you recommend Beloved tales, or film strips series

1. DSSH Beloved Tales

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. MOG film strips

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Other series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IrvineLotus

IrvineLotus Member

0   0   0

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Would like to start a new collection for the new year, or holiday season. To make the dream most ambitious, I'm thinking of DSSH beloved tales, or MOG film strips. Both series have decent physical size, cover many stories and movies, and are released across multiple years. Is there any other series similar to these two?

Which one would you prefer or recommend? Which series will be more fun to collect? There seem to be more film strip pins coming. Will there be more beloved tales pin? Besides the frozen release of Beloved tales series, is there any other known scrappers from these two series? Any comment or input will be appreciated.

Pecosace likes this.
  2. mybabykelly

mybabykelly DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    231   0   0

While I don’t own any of the filmstrips, and only own two Beloved Tales (Coco and Little Mermaid), I’d say go with the filmstrips :) Beloved Tales are really pretty pins but not for the prices they’re going for.

Some of the older Beloved Tales (think Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast) go for $1000-1200 and seem quite unattainable. The mid-range Beloved Tales go for $200-400, and even the fairly recent ones have been shooting up in price (Coco and Moana were $150-200 last time I checked). And I feel like even when new ones are released, scalpers just set the prices high and so it’s a struggle obtaining them.

Even on the secondary market, the filmstrips seem relatively obtainable and may not be as frustrating as the BT. They’re also pretty big, detailed pins. If you’re a movie buff or love the reel look, these are perfect for you.

ShopDisney has also been releasing the Anniversary pins that I hope covers all of their films:
    Tangled Pin – 10th Anniversary – Limited Release | shopDisney

Pocahontas Pin – 25th Anniversary – Limited Release | shopDisney

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Kiragigi, IrvineLotus and echan50 like this.
  3. echan50

echan50 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

I have been around pin trading for a while and Beloved Tales were and are always pretty hot based on the movie. It's a very old series that gets updated once in a while now therefore it would be more of a collection going very far back to collect. Like @mybabykelly said the values on those older Beloved Tales can get pretty crazy and kind of has always been crazy. I am not sure how it happened but I have a mini-Beloved Tales collection of Pixar movies and have gotten really lucky on some but I am missing the very expensive ones like Up, Wall-E and Coco.

Not sure if you have seen one of the MoG/WFI anniversary film strip pins but they are really great looking in person. The two main elements I like about those pins are the clear title window and the die cast metal extras on the sides. Those extras are always related to the movie itself so it's not just some random repeating frame like other series. Another big plus for collecting this set is that there are fairly new and only a few years old so they are more attainable than the Beloved Tales. Minus this last MoG release where 8 film strips were released at one time the other strips were released with the other pins to celebrate the anniversary. This last set was all of the anniversaries in 2020.

While I kind of collect both I would vote for the film strips.

IrvineLotus likes this.
  4. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    322   0   0

The Beloved Tales series is (with some exceptions) gorgeous, but yes, they can be VERY expensive and hard to find, especially for the older series/most popular movies. The film strips are much more recent, and therefore much easier to find and less expensive. Plus, none of them have been faked/scrapped as far as I know, whereas several of the Beloved Tales have.

If you are going for one of them just to have a set that represents all movies, I'd go with the film strips unless you REALLY like the Beloved Tales more than the film strips. Another alternative would be the DEC movie anniversary series (like @mybabykelly suggested).

As far as new ones coming out, the film strips have been releasing around movie anniversaries, so I'd expect more to come out over the next few years until they catch up to the five year mark and circle back to the movies they started with. Most of the Disney movies have been done as Beloved Tales already, so while I expect them to come out with more to cover newly released movies and any older movies they have not done yet, the new releases of those will be few and far between.

Kiragigi and IrvineLotus like this.
  5. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

Depends, do you have money? :)

6. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

As noted above - how rich are you? lol

Unless you have endless funds, then Beloved Tales or DSSH Marquee pins (another series featuring many films) are likely not the best choice. PODM's are another great series for film collecting pins but again can be expensive for the popular scenes.

MOG Film strips haven't gotten too crazy yet pricewise I don't think? (Then again, I haven't tracked the prices.)

bookhugger likes this.
  7. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

I like the film strips.

8. IrvineLotus

IrvineLotus Member

0   0   0

Thank everyone for your input. Seems that many people recommend the film strip series. I did some research and collected all film strip pin photos available online. There have been over 30 pins so far. They do look nice being placed side by side. Would like to share an image I prepared, but not sure how to post a pic on this forum. Here's the link (Filmstrip Layout). Hopefully the prices won't go crazy before I complete my collection. Wish everyone a happy thanksgiving and healthy holiday season.

9. Kiragigi

Kiragigi Active Member

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

You should be able to trade for most, if not all of them. I see them all the time for trade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. translation

translation Member

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0

As people have mentioned before--the beloved tales can be incredibly expensive. I know traders have given themselves a time frame of 5 years in order to complete the series. Also, in my personal opinion, there are some great pins in this series (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, Pocahontas, Sleeping Beauty) but there are also some less than stellar pins (Cinderella, Tangled, Peter Pan, Toy Story, Alice in Wonderland).

I feel like the Film Strip are pins that, for the most part, people have been sleeping on, myself included. They look quite nice as a set. I think they will appreciate in price over time, similar to the beloved tales, but now you could get in before they potentially skyrocket.

11. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

Have you noticed that the newest set is being sold on the auction site all together? I'm not sure if that is something you would be interested in or not.

12. bcol

bcol "They call me Bruce" ....and mupins

Rating - 100%
    81   0   0

I was collecting the beloved Tales pins and was almost complete before I decided to break up the set. The prices just went crazy for awhile and I got frustrated trying to keep current. It would be close to impossible to collect the entire set of the 50+ films and shorts. I love how they look and if you aren't a completist it would be fun to try. The filmstrips would be less of a challenge having fewer pins but are really nice together.

I only have one thing to ask, are you feeling lucky, pinner?
    [​IMG]

momin.ator likes this.