• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

TRADING Concerns About Postage Costs for 5-Pin Packages

TRADING Concerns About Postage Costs for 5-Pin Packages

stratasfan

No Longer Active
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I'm posting this for all the traders who might not want to be part of these blind trade packages anymore or are afraid to say anything in fear of unkind replies. I don't mean to sound as negative as this is going to read, but many traders are on tight budgets where pins are concerned. That's why we've got different types of trade packages for different types of traders. Unfortunately, when you sign up for one thing, and it's not what it's supposed to be, you're still stuck paying to send the package forward -- whether you can afford it or not. I'm hoping this post will help all of us understand how necessary it is to think about the people on down the line and stick to the size of the trade promised. So, please let my comments speak for myself and others who've contacted me to say what a hardship this has been.

It's just a pin trade, I know, but we're supposed to be happy with these trades. I'm sure no ill intent was meant by the original sender. In fact, I'd say it was meant to be a nice surprise for everyone on the list, but we need to be careful not to burden anyone here. And we don't want to lose the few traders who join the fun! So, here goes . . .

Just received the @TonkaToy trading box in the mail. Wait, box?! This exchange was clearly stated as being a small envelope, and that's what we all signed up for and expected. There's usually a larger, fuller pin-box exchange going around on this forum for those who want to risk the higher price of heavier shipping. Personally, Sis and I always sign up for and love both kinds. But we definitely wouldn't have signed up for a small amount of pins like this at such a heavy weight. $15 to ship a box with the hope of adding even one of the expected five pins to our collection wouldn't be something we'd ever sign up for. On the other hand, mailing a few pins on cardboard with some bubblewrap around them in an a less-than-one-pound bubble mailer is a great way to inexpensively share the fun more often. A large, very heavy wooden board with the added weight of pins (with no pin backs) should have been posted as such and not under the lightweight-5-pin-package thread. But let's use this as a learning lesson and make something positive out of it for future trades.

This was supposed to be a 5-pin-trade envelope that weighed less than 16oz. to ship via USPS Ground Advantage (used to be called First Class Mail). These small trades keep trading affordable for a blind-trade situation, where each person receiving this would only be out about $5 for the opportunity to possibly make a small trade. (Remember, blind trades of any size are a fun gamble, and what everyone can afford to gamble varies from person to person.) Instead, this is a 3-pound box containing a heavywooden/felt board with more than five pins on it. The heavy board was mailed in a box inside another box. It's going to cost me $15 to mail this box to the next person, and that's only to Florida from Ohio, not cross country like many earlier traders have had to mail. Signing up for one thing and doing another means that anyone who was disappointed by this experience is unlikely to sign up for another trading package in the future. So, this affects all of us who only get to trade via Mail. When a 5-pin package ends up with 6, 7, or 8 pins . . . no problem, since that can be mailed in the same small envelope, but when it has to graduate to a box weighing more than a pound . . . there is a problem.

Spending an unexpected $10 EXTRA to mail a heavy board with its several pins was not meant to be part of the deal with these small trading packages. Not only was it unexpected to those who signed up for another small package, it isn't good for other traders who might be experiencing this for the first time and think they're going to have to pay a box rate for a pin or two (or even NO pins, as often happens). Depending on how far this box travelled each time, the traders on this list ended up paying a total of $80-100 EXTRA to the Post Office. For those of you who are thinking, "It's only $10!", I'm respectfully asking you to keep your thoughts to yourself this time. Many people don't have an extra $10 between paychecks, and we don't want to embarrass them or make them feel small.

One last point about ZAPs for people on the list. Out of courtesy to everyone after you, please only include ZAPs in the package for the next person on the list. While ZAPs are great fun, it'd be better to send them separately for people further down on the list. Again, we don't know who's on the list down the line who can't afford the extra ounces (which can even send the package into the next pound).

I've removed the pins from the board and will mail them in a small package to the next person. If the original sender would like the heavy board mailed back to them, I'll gladly post it to them when they pay the postage cost (an extra 2#) from Ohio. (Please let me know what to do with it.)

Again, I'm super sorry for having to post this at all. Griping doesn't sit well with us. Everyone is living through uncertain times right now, so things require a bit more thought about the next guy these days. I hope you understand that I have many traders in mind with this. I personally know a lot of fiscally-responsible pin traders who don't spend outside their budget. So, let's stick to the rules, and we'll all have a good time on the next one!

I'm tagging all the others involved in this exchange:

@Pinfun
@momin.ator
@sbmpins
@brattyjedi
@Ksnuggles
@Poohlady5
@Connies_Hobby
@sockgnome
@firechief18

Hello,

When I sent the original board, it was in a single box inside a poly bag and cost 7.80 for me to ship. It was not a 3 pound package.

@GroguFan I've sent you PM, and I'll gladly pay FULL price to get the board back.

I would have appreciated a private message about this insead of a huge gripe on a public thread, which "embarrassed me and made me feel small".

This has quite hurt my feelings as I have worked hard over the last 10 years to be a generous trader, secret santa, ZAP and RAK participant.

Once this trade round ends, I've decided to opt out of any further exchanges. I have also been trying to save money and have had more pleasant experiences in other venues recently.

Thank you, Nina/TonkaToy

Last edited:
Hello,

When I sent the original board, it was in a single box inside a poly bag and cost 7.80 for me to ship. It was not a 3 pound package.

@GroguFan I've sent you PM, and I'll gladly pay FULL price to get the board back.

I would have appreciated a private message about this insead of a huge gripe on a public thread, which "embarrassed me and made me feel small".

This has quite hurt my feelings as I have worked hard over the last 10 years to be a generous trader, secret santa, ZAP and RAK participant.

Once this trade round ends, I've decided to opt out of any further exchanges. I have also been trying to save money and have had more pleasant experiences in other venues recently.

Thank you, Nina/TonkaToy

I'm really sorry you took this personally. Nothing that was posted by Sis above was meant as anything attacking or personal. And you'll notice that no blame was laid on any one person or sender. Since it was not a personal issue with anyone in particular, this certainly didn't seem worthy of a PM. You'll be a big loss to this community if you pull out, and I hope you reconsider that. This was not meant to be personal to anyone and certainly should not have made anyone feel small.

From our standpoint, this was quite disappointing, and that's why Sis and I talked about it and both felt that it was fair to express our disappointment. We have a certain budget for pin trade mail in a given month, so we really have to decide what to send when. There are numerous traders involved here, and if future trade packages are going to happen, then it's necessary to say up-front what is involved with an exchange.

This has nothing to do with what a great trader, secret santa and participant you've always been. When we all send ZAP, RAK and santa packages, we get to decide how much we're mailing. But when it comes to a multi-member exchange like this, there has to be a certain format decided on.

Again, I'm very sorry if anyone takes any of this personally. It is NOT meant that way, and please accept my apologies on behalf of Sis and me for anything that seems harsh. But be kind enough to realize that we were only venting our disappointment about the experience -- not any certain member.

@GroguFan Thank you.

I see two issues here.

The 1st is that we all got excited for another pin exchange, and in that excitement, none of us took the lead and posted specific rules.

2nd, I did state that my board would have 10 to 12 traders on it and that shipping in a poly bag (box in bag) was the cheapest way to go.
I just looked up my postage, and when I mailed out, it cost 7.05, not 7.80, which is what I thought.

As a heads-up, the Haunted Mansion pin board, which you have not yet received, is also on the larger side and while it weighs slightly less than my board, it cost me 7.85 to mail it to California. You may be disappointed once again when it arrives to you, or you may wish to let Poohlady5 pass you by.

I don't plan on leaving the community, and I had already decided not to participate in Secret Santa this year, due to things unrelated to this particular event.

@starry_solo or @Ksnuggles Could the messages regarding this hiccup with the 5 pin exchange be made into its own thread? Then, the trading tread can get back on track.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

As a heads-up, the Haunted Mansion pin board, which you have not yet received, is also on the larger side and while it weighs slightly less than my board, it cost me 7.85 to mail it to California. You may be disappointed once again when it arrives to you, or you may wish to let Poohlady5 pass you by.

Thanks for the info there. I will definitely e-mail her and let her know we'll sit that one out.

OK, I moved the posts to a new thread so as not to bog down the thread about the specific pin package being mailed with posts.

For those concerned with postage costs, there are really great solutions to think about:

Pirate Ship - reduces the cost of postage by 25% (or more), depending on the method you use to ship (USPS vs UPS)

Using USPS Padded Flat Rate Envelopes - these are free from the post office (you have to order it to be delivered to you from the post office for free, but it takes less than a week for delivery once you've ordered them). They can hold quite a bit of pins in it and is what I've been using for off-DPF swap boxes that I participate in.

See:

Inner dimensions are about an inch smaller than the outer dimensions of 12" x 9.5"

Coupled with Pirate Ship, I was able to ship 2 pounds of pins (well, it was one ounce heavier than 1 pound so the post office goes to the next highest pound after you've exceeded 1 pound) to a DPF member, insured for the full purchase price of $530, for only $14.

It looks like there are also issues in the various swap boxes of people adding something extra to zap one of the recipients down the line to, which then increases the size and/or weight of the package.

Well, I feel like I should "chime-in" on this post.

1. I would like to see this 5 pin-package continue. It is a Newer way of trading amongst our community, so the "bugs" are being worked out. This latest "round" has added to that. I would like to see the mailing fee be i.e., $5, total at the most. If it can't be, that's fine. However, it needs to be documented so participants can make a decision if they still want to be a part of it.

2. Including ZAPS for others on the list. I don't think this should be a part of the package.

Finally, in closing, I just want to say How Much I Appreciate, @firechief18 for starting this "mailing-trade-roundabout" - @GroguFan and @stratasfan for stepping up to continue it - @TonkaToy and @sbmpins for this current round. You're all DPF Rock Stars in my book.

Lastly, we're learning here, nothing more, nothing less. And chalking it all up to "fine-tuning" this Trading Opp.

Thank you for allowing me to add my "two-cents."

It's been fun. I hope it continues.

I think you should all talk about what you want as part of a pin tracking package in a group chat (PM) and then, depending on what is decided, people can decide to stay in the trade package or not.

I think guidelines are key to making these kinds of things a success. I understand adding extras and zaps to the packages as the forum in general is such a giving community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should all talk about what you want as part of a pin tracking package in a group chat (PM) and then, depending on what is decided, people can decide to stay in the trade package or not.
It's a public pin exchange, so I think this discussion is properly public. Nothing about these exchanges is handled in private.

As we did sign-up for the current one, Sis and I have decided to take the loss and just mail the package on as is on this one. But we will be more careful to verify the rules next time. It's a good learning experience.

And yes, I do agree that as long as they do not push the package over the agreed weight/size, zaps and extras are great. :) Pin trading is a fun and sharing hobby!!

It's a public pin exchange, so I think this discussion is properly public. Nothing about these exchanges is handled in private.

As we did sign-up for the current one, Sis and I have decided to take the loss and just mail the package on as is on this one. But we will be more careful to verify the rules next time. It's a good learning experience.

And yes, I do agree that as long as they do not push the package over the agreed weight/size, zaps and extras are great. :) Pin trading is a fun and sharing hobby!!
I’ll just second this as I sat this round out but have done the past two rounds and may want to jump back in. I would not have known about any concerns about adding a xtra weight if this was done on PM between folks onlyin this round.

With shipping going up I can understand the concern. One of the reasons I chose to sit this round out is because of trying to manage pin trading and shipping costs and I decided I couldn’t participate every time.

I meant that after a group gets together to do a pin exchange, that you go over all the rules of the exchange in a PM so there are no surprises or misunderstandings.

There's the basic of OE for OE, LE for LE thing that people sign up for.

But then you talk about the intricacies of the exchange in a group PM. And if someone decides that after all those discussions occur to drop out, they do.

That's how we've done all the non-DPF swap boxes that I participate in. We have the main group, we decide to do a swap box, people say whether they want in, then we have a sub group chat created for the swap box, talk about rules of exchange and all, then people decide whether they want to still participate. If they don't, ok. If they do, ok. Cuz no one in the main group that declined to participate cares to read or scroll through posts about something they aren't participating in.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The TonkaToy board has made it home.

I did not expect the price of shipping to be so high for people. I originally mailed it out as a box in bag, which is a category of shipping that weirdly keeps postage quite low. At some point, it got transferred into a flat rate priority box.

I appreciate that maybe participants were worried that the box in bag pacakaging wouldn't be protective enough. I wish I had included instructions about box in bag and that I wasn't worried about damage, etc.

Another thing for us to consider is trying our best to organize the shipping across zones. That way, no one has to ship from, say, Florida to California in one go. We could leapfrog the packages. i.e. Arizona to Utah, Utah to Texas, Texas to Fla. Fla to Ohio, Ohio to Mich. ETC...

It might not always work perfectly, but we could attempt it.

Just thoughts.

Another thing for us to consider is trying our best to organize the shipping across zones. That way, no one has to ship from, say, Florida to California in one go. We could leapfrog the packages. i.e. Arizona to Utah, Utah to Texas, Texas to Fla. Fla to Ohio, Ohio to Mich. ETC...

It might not always work perfectly, but we could attempt it.

Sis and I were actually talking about that not long ago. That could probably work pretty well most of the time and would be something worth trying. :) Good suggestion!

Back