Coronavirus (COVID-19) Coping Thread

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Ajk

Ajk Cocoa asks "Where's all da Hoomans?"

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! *wipes tears from eyes* Oh man, I like that one. They were all good, and thanks for posting, but I really like that one. Not sure why. Probably says too much about me and my sense of humor. But....HAHAHA!! Nice.

SoraPandora and akarih like this.
  2. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Happy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Spring break week
    Just got home from camping with the Gkids.. a promised trip months in advance.
    Boy a lot of things have changed.. I now have 5 pages of posts in this thread alone to read.. Glad we left CA 3 years ago..
    Spent most of last week sitting in a lawn chair (with a beer) in the shady Peace River ( 70 mi due south of WDW) in 2 ft of flowing, crystal clear water, dredging the river bottom looking for sharks teeth.
    Came home with a couple of hundred teeth.... now what to do with them ...
    Told to stay home... citywide curfew from 11 pm to 5 am .... for our safety?
    Kids say they will do all the shopping.
    I guess it is TV, books, puzzles and pins... not necessarily in that order.
    I am told, if I have to wear a N95 mask I will have to shave my beard.
    My wife of 43 years has never seen me without a beard. That will be shock I am sure..

SoraPandora likes this.
  3. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

There were a few incidences early. But I think, they think that their were probably testing errors. Patients were discharged after a negative test and then tested positive again later. The negative test being a false negative. Now, I think you have to test negative, multiple times before you are discharged, not just once.

4. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    113   0   0

One news report/discussion/opinion I heard on the TV said they anticipate some sort of immunity, but how long is an unknown. Too new.

5. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    113   0   0

Welcome home.
    Stay safe and hopefully no N95 mask will be needed.

6. Sortlora

Sortlora Active Member

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

Since we’ve been stuck at home my husband and I have been binge watching Disney plus and have decided The Black Cauldron and Hunchback of Notre Dame are super underrated movies

Jabberwocky and krand1276 like this.
  7. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    122   0   0

I've been with my husband for 20 years. A few years ago he shaved his beard. I made him sign a contract he would never do that again.

splashmtnman and krand1276 like this.
  8. noone

noone Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Wow, this thread has really grown since i last checked in. Crazy times, hope everyone is staying well and being safe. Off to go watch some more roku...

9. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Governor just closed all schools through the end of the year, the state of the online classes they were starting is unclear now. Stand by for my slow descent into madness

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

Michigan's Governor issued the "Shelter in Place" order earlier this morning until April 13th. For me, it won't be much of a change from my normal routine since I've been working at home since last week. (Although I have been getting to-go order muffins from my favorite bakery. Thankfully I froze some.) And even though I knew that this was going to likely happen, and I know I am very well prepared, I just got that whole "wow this just got real" feeling. Hang tight all. <3

noone, coblj003, TinyTink and 2 others like this.
  11. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0

At least you have animal crossing! I'm taking a look at my back log and going through things I haven't completed yet. Just finished Minit. Maybe I'll finally finish Majora's Mask?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

gargress and Purplemandms like this.
  12. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    113   0   0

You live in Michigan?

I am originally from Michigan. I love New Mexico (my home for the last 20 years)... but I miss Michigan's green and lakes. ...Oh and my extended family too. Yes, definitely miss the fam. :)

Purplemandms likes this.
  13. stratasfan

stratasfan Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Some interesting stats - not comparing corona to flu as an actual disease, but showing that something like this isn't new to history:

Some interesting flu stats:

2018-2019 flu stats (which the country did not shut down for): 34,200 deaths in the U.S.A. and not a peep outta anyone.

In the 1781-82 worldwide Influenza pandemic - 30,000 fell ill each day in St. Petersburg.

The Great Influenza of 1847
    - 250,000 cases in London alone.

Great Flu Pandemic of 1918-19: Worldwide 50 million dead, 50 times that sickened. (Ran 3-9 months worldwide)-

France - 166,000 people died

Great Britain - County of Lancashire alone lost 11,000 in month.

Great Britain - Sept through December, 16,000 a week dead

In all of Great Britain, during all three waves - 268,917 deaths.

Canada - 30,000 dead (out of 8 million total population)

Germany - 225,330 dead

Hungary - 60-80% dead of ill people

Brazil - 180,000 dead

India - in 3 months they lost 18 million people

City of Bombay alone - 700 dead a day, final count 15,000 in three months.

New Zealand and Ethiopia lost so many they don't even have numbers

Australia - 12,000 dead.

Western Samoa - 7,500 dead out of the 38,000 population. 80% of their population were sickened.

Japan - 257,363

South Africa - 140,000+

USA - 675,000 dead (10 times the more casualties that the nation lost in WWI. During the last four months of 1918, 400,000 deaths were reported. One in every four people were sickened.)

Philadelphia - 650 deaths a day, 11,000 deaths a month - 1/5 of its total hospital patients each night.

New York City - 12,000 deaths in October 1918 alone. They didn't have enough well people, so the bodies were stacked

Chicago - 6,000 deaths in October 1918 alone. Police arrested anyone sneezing without a hankie.

Pittsburgh - only 6 other cities in the US had a higher mortality rate.

Boston - 1,500 per day during August 1918 with a 50% death rate. People were literally dropping dead on the sidewalks.

Cleveland - Lost 300 men in WWI. Lost 2,000 to the flu, with a reported 60,000 cases.

Connecticut - 50 out of every 1,000 people died.

San Francisco - Nothing as of Sept 1918, by October 1918, they couldn't handle it. 70% of the nursing staff fell ill. 3,500 of 550,000 population.

San Antonio - Pop. of 160,000. 50,000 cases reported, 2,000 deaths.

Nome, Alaska - Didn't get it until May 1919. In twelve days, they lost 15,000. For the Eskimos - 100% mortality rate.

Madison and Florence, Alabama - In three months, 9,000 dead.

Russia - 450,000 dead

Italy - 375,000 dead

Scandanavia - 37,000 dead

Netherlands East Indies - 80,000 dead

South Sea Islands - 50,000 dead

Philippines - 93,000 dead

Africa - 2 million dead

Asia - 19-33 million dead

Europe - 2.3 million dead

Latin America - 966,000 dead

North America - 603,000 dead

Pacific - 85,000 dead

Stats from:

The Homeopathic Treatment of Influenza by Sandra J. Perko (1999)

noone likes this.
  14. gargress

gargress (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ First Time @ DLR: Sept 2020! *:・゚✧ DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Those are some incredible stats! Could that many people be older, immunocompromised, or all of the above all the time? Just mind-boggling information.

That said, the food bank I volunteer at say they're just understaffed and overwhelmed. So many people can't even step outside for grocery runs due to being house-bound for reasons other than COVID-19, as much as we need people to stay indoors, so many more people are needed for food processing and no-contact deliveries.

I guess all we can do is continue to stay home as much as possible and disinfect when we do go outside.

15. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I agree with @gargress in that those stats simply are mind boggling, thanks for sharing them @stratasfan . At a time like this, more so than ever, we need to take care of each other and ourselves. Please check in with your friends, loved ones, neighbors to make sure they're okay - and please check in here from time to time so we'll know that you're okay.

fuzzybunny likes this.
  16. stratasfan

stratasfan Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Another bit of interesting info about the Great Flu of 1918-19 ---- It hit the age bracket of 20-40 really hard. That was the large percentage of casualties. Now, plenty outside of that range died, too, but it really hit the 20-40 year old range. Very sad. But, it does show that this isn't the first time the world has seen something like this. Also, think of how many people so far have had corona and simply thought it was a weird bad flu! We've had friends who we would guarantee had corona, but didn't know it. Back in January and February, before it exploded on the scene!

17. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    113   0   0

Received these in an email from one NM senator. Gives me hope that all of our sacrifices will make a difference, but boy, I know its early days... I would love to get some data on how we are actually doing with this right now. Knowing it is succeeding would make all of the isolation easier to stomach (and also help avoid the temptation to stray from the cause.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fins4pins likes this.
  18. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

Got my kid home from Scotland last night. She is now in quarantine for 14 days.
    But she is home.

noone, starry_solo, akarih and 8 others like this.
  19. CCofRR13

Rating - 100%
    122   0   0

Finished a puzzle - only 550 pieces:

[​IMG]

Also, was excited because my "Learn to Crochet" kit was delivered - but it came with two sets of knitting needles - not crochet hooks....:(

Off to find another puzzle. I know we have some 1000 piece train puzzles around here somewhere.

20. Ajk

Ajk Cocoa asks "Where's all da Hoomans?"

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

For those of you with a Switch that are also locked out of your gym, check out Ring Fit Adventure. We got it a few months back and I'm not much of an exerciser but I enjoyed it right away and do it every morning. You do basic "7 minute workout" type stuff (squats, plank, leg lifts, etc) in a fun video game format.

Purplemandms, coblj003 and CCofRR13 like this.
  21. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

I tried to buy one for my mom a couple weeks ago, and everywhere is sold out! Nintendo is also having production issues and they can't keep up with the demand. I'm looking forward to getting it when it come back in stock - but in the meantime I bought a speed jump rope for $3 from Walmart and have been working on my double unders while doing the at-home workouts my Crossfit gym posts. Let me know if anyone wants me to share!

Also PELETON is offering a free 90-day trial of their video service. They have yoga classes, strength classes, and a few other things.

Ajk and coblj003 like this.
  22. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

I may have an extra one somewhere if you want me to look.

23. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Happy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Got my Disney fix today too..
    One of the hardest..[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

24. CCofRR13

Rating - 100%
    122   0   0

I ordered it from Amazon so they are sending me the corrected order. Thank you for the offer.

25. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Beautiful puzzle - and I can see how that one would be challenging. The worst puzzle I ever completed did not contain the words 'fully interlocking' on the box (which should have been my clue to put down the box and select another puzzle). I've since learned to look for them on every puzzle - and avoid those that don't have them, no matter how pretty the picture.