Destination D Discussion Dudes

Ajk

Let's party like its 2019.
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
I didn't want to take over @starry_solo thread where she is looking to sponsor someone for Destination D (check it out in the Sales thread!) so I thought I would start this one.

In the other thread, @TheMickeyMouseRules posted the price of tickets from the last one and my mind was blown to see a $1,300 ticket. I realize they command that much at D23 but I thought Destination D was much smaller and I couldn't see what you could get that would be worth that sort of value.

@DisneyJ helpfully replied with the details on what you got for it that year which I've listed below, broken up with some comments from me. The bottom line is, I still don't see how it can be close to that level of value. Am I missing something? Will I kick myself if I don't get a second mortgage and buy that ticket? Heck, is even the $300 worth it? (I am largely interested in pins.) Thoughts on this or any other aspect of the event are welcome! (Actually, on the pin piece, I believe in some other thread that I can't find at the moment someone suggested to bring pins as there is a ton of trading. But is that definitely the case at these?)

Perks from 2018:

An exclusive VIP dinner Friday night. (OK, nice, but not $1,000 nice)
A birthday breakfast on November 18th (See above comment, only even less so)
The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse lounge during the event weekend (Somewhere to sit down? Not sure why I need that as I will be sitting in the presentations I presume. And actively running around checking things out other times.)
Priority seating (This could be valuable if seating was a big challenge. I understand you need this at D23 but do you need it here? Are the panels that high demand that you end up having to wait on line for hours in order to get in to see some CM talk about plans? It's not like Hiddleston is there kissing the people in the front row or something.)
Early shopping access at Mickey’s of Glendale (This could be huge. BUT, didn't they do an RSP that year? So how does early access help if there was an RSP? And two years prior, as @figment919 pointed out, the CMs got in first and wiped everything out. I would be rather pissed if I paid for this and then found that either of those two things happen. Where's the value here?
Early access to the Walt Disney archives. (Uhm...I guess that's nice? Does this get filled up/long delays?)
An additional specialty gift (Cool. Hard to judge value as its an unknown. Anyone know what this was?)
And a dedicated VIP Destination D check in location. (This I could see as a major time saver if the lines are like what we get signing in for the Epcot pin event.
There will also be a limited number of rooms and park tickets available to Destination D guests. (OK. Doesn't really help me I don't think.)

momin.ator

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I'm cheap, but this is really expensive. They have not yet even announced whether there will be pins
available. And Mike @figment919 said the last time the pins were limited.

Reactions: Ajk

hopemax

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Early shopping access at Mickey’s of Glendale (This could be huge. BUT, didn't they do an RSP that year? So how does early access help if there was an RSP? And two years prior, as @figment919 pointed out, the CMs got in first and wiped everything out. I would be rather pissed if I paid for this and then found that either of those two things happen. Where's the value here?
I just wanted to point out that the situation @figment919 mentioned was a D23 Shopping Day (June 9, 2018 - they had a bunch of clusters), not part of the Destination D event. I know, because in 2016, I was texting with a friend who was in a 4 hour line and was hoping to get done quick enough to make it to Jingle Bam at DHS (she barely made it). And I benefited with getting the Jingle Cruise mystery boxes, the fans, and am kicking myself for not getting the Moana Jumbo.

2012 - tiny selection of D23 pins, no MOG

2014 - MOG, but the lines weren't bad and only one or two pins sold out in the immediate rush (Orange Bird Sorcerer Hat, Frozen). I went through the line twice and was able to get Tangled Sorcerer Hats. But the pins were more obscure (Pleasure Island, Tower of the 4 Winds, etc. )

2016 - 4 hour line, more popular themes

2018 - RSP

lionheart

DPF Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I’m wondering about this too. I’d be mostly interested in a potential pin release/pin trading. Probably only if there’s some kind of RSP system because I’d go with the cheapest ticket. Would anyone traveling solo be potentially interested in splitting a hotel room for this?

figment919

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Just to clarify, the D23 "Destination D" events in Florida are NOT pin driven or pin focused at all. It all depends on whether the MOG store chooses to come along for the event - and so far for this year there has not been any official notice one way or the other that they will be there. The D23 event is really for the Disney-centric folks who want to hear about history. folklore, meet some Disney Legends, or get a behind the scenes peek on whats coming down the pike.

Pins are a plus. but with the MOG it will all depend on what they want to do. As Hopemax mentioned, the lines were HOURS long just to get into the store, and as long to check out. They finally separated pins from other merchandise and that did help some. The cost of the D23 event is to hear about and experience some of the Disney magic, and pins are just an added pleasure if you can get them.

We have been to ALL of the D23 stuff in Florida and will be going in November.

Ajk

Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Thanks all for the thoughts/comments. It all seems to support my original thinking that a $1,300 ticket is far from worth it. Has anyone ever purchased the high end ticket for Destination D? And, if so, what are your thoughts on your experience?

P.S. I am VERY MUCH hoping they do an RSP this year. And of course extra hoping I do well on it. :)

starry_solo

Judge of the Dark Court
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
538   0   0
Thanks all for the thoughts/comments. It all seems to support my original thinking that a $1,300 ticket is far from worth it. Has anyone ever purchased the high end ticket for Destination D? And, if so, what are your thoughts on your experience?

P.S. I am VERY MUCH hoping they do an RSP this year. And of course extra hoping I do well on it. :)

It depends on how many VIP Tickets go for sale vs. regular. If they have 250 VIP tickets, maybe all won't be pin traders? But I know quite a few in So Cal that will go for the pins.

Abyssinian28

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I'm not sure where this $1,300 ticket is coming from (maybe a VIP, high level tier)? I'm pretty sure I paid something like $300-400 in 2018. At D23 in Cali, you get to meet celebrities and legends, and there's all sorts of previews and shopping opportunities. Destination D is nice, but it wouldn't be worth what they charge in Cali.

I wonder when we'll finally get the info for this year...

TheMickeyMouseRules

Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I'm not sure where this $1,300 ticket is coming from (maybe a VIP, high level tier)? I'm pretty sure I paid something like $300-400 in 2018. At D23 in Cali, you get to meet celebrities and legends, and there's all sorts of previews and shopping opportunities. Destination D is nice, but it wouldn't be worth what they charge in Cali.

I wonder when we'll finally get the info for this year...
I believe I started the $1300 thing... I found some info on the internet. I hope you are right and its only $300-$400.

figment919

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Regular D23 Destination D tickets do NOT cost $1300, maybe in the $200/$300 range for the 3 day event. The VIP tickets are over $1000 but they are limited.

DisneyJ

RIP Jill
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Tickets go on sale Thursday, July 29

General Seating: $249 (plus $7 processing fee), Preferred Seating: $399 (plus $7 processing fee). Tickets will go on sale on Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 1 p.m. EST / 10 a.m. PST in the provided link below. The Virtual Waiting Room will open at 1 p.m. EST / 10 a.m. PST.

Not a Gold Member? Join
Join D23: The Official Disney Fan Club at the Biggest Disney Fan Event of the year, as we celebrate 50 years of the Walt Disney World Resort and so much more!
The event will take place November 19 – 21, 2021, at Disney’s Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World Resort.
Be the first to hear exciting announcements and see sneak peeks from the many worlds of Disney—and relive your favorite memories with behind-the-scenes stories, special guests, and so much more at this fan-favorite event!
Become a D23 Gold Member to purchase tickets when they go on sale!
Presentation Highlights of Destination D23 2021 will include*:
  • A kickoff welcome presentation with Bob Chapek, CEO, The Walt Disney Company.
  • What’s New and What’s Next for Disney Parks, Experiences and Products—ChairmanJosh D’Amaro will share what’s new and what’s next for Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. The exclusive presentation will feature updates on some of the most anticipated projects around the world. And as D23 Members know, there is always a surprise or two in store!
destination d23

• A special look at what’s new and next from Disney+!
  • Musical Memories of Walt Disney World— A journey through 50 years of the Walt Disney World songbook with Walt Disney Imagineering, revealing the stories behind beloved fan-favorite melodies and a peek into the process of creating new ones.
  • Destination D23 audiences will also thrill to performances from Michael James Scott, Genie in Disney on Broadway’s hit Aladdin and Disney’s acapella sensation DCappella.
destination d23

• The Art and Imagery of Walt Disney World— Dive into the Walt Disney Imagineering Art and Photo collections for a look at over 50 years of the most gorgeous, stunning, and surprising artwork that inspired the most magical place on earth over the years.
  • The Magical Musical World of Encanto—Join filmmakers and special guests for a melodic Saturday evening celebration of the upcoming musical, the 60th animated feature from Walt Disney Animation Studios!
destination d23

• Weird Disney World—The fan-favorite “Weird Disney” returns, as Director of the Walt Disney Archives Becky Cline digs into Disney history to bring you a half century of the wildest and wackiest Walt Disney World moments!
  • How the (Disney) World Began—Join Kevin Kern and Steven Vagnini, authors and historians behind A Portrait of Walt Disney World: 50 Years of The Most Magical Place on Earth and Disney Legend Dick Nunis for a look at how Walt Disney’s dreams were translated into the Vacation Kingdom of the World.
destination d23

• Park Stars: Original Characters of Walt Disney World—Figment, Big Al, the Orange Bird, and Teddi Barra are just a few of the many Disney characters created specifically for Walt Disney World. Join Imagineers Diana Brost and Jason Grandt as they take you on a journey around the “world” to meet many of the fun personalities that appear in Walt Disney World attractions and shows.
Exciting Experiences at Destination D23 2021 will include*:
  • The Walt Disney Archives: 50 Years of Bringing Home the Magic—An all-new exhibit curated by the Walt Disney Archives takes you through a half-century journey of merchandise memories of the Walt Disney World Resort. From figurines and fanny packs to pins and plush, relive each exciting decade through the souvenirs that brought the Vacation Kingdom of the World home!
destination d23

• Mickey’s of Glendale—The Walt Disney Imagineering campus store returns with a pop-up shop at the event for attendees, featuring a selection of exclusive Destination D23and Walt Disney Imagineering merchandise. Trading pins for this event will be offered to attendees through a RSP opportunity.**
  • Special Film Screening—On Friday, November 19, event guests will also be invited to a special screening at Disney Springs.**
  • Disney+ Party—Join Disney+ for the grand finale of an incredible weekend with a special celebration you can’t miss!
Plus, more presenters and presentations to be announced soon!
*Please be advised: All schedules, events, and merchandise are subject to change without notice. For the enjoyment of all attendees, access in and out of the Fantasia ballroom may be limited during presentations.
**For the convenience of our event guests, you will be offered the opportunity to reserve a shopping window for Mickey’s of Glendale on Friday, as well as a show time for your screening at Disney Springs on Friday. Details to come closer to the event.
DETAILS
For those unable to join us live at the event, select segments of Destination D23 will be live-streamed on D23.com and D23 social media channels. Stay tuned to D23.com for a full schedule of streaming panels, along with details of where to tune in.
All guests will receive access to the following D23-exclusive experiences:
  • Guaranteed seats at all panels and presentations
  • Destination D23-exclusive Mickey’s of Glendale pop-up shop
  • All-new exhibit from the Walt Disney Archives
  • Special Screening on Friday
  • Disney+ Party on Sunday evening
  • Specialty gift created exclusively for the event
In addition, a limited number of preferred seating tickets will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis. These tickets will include a dedicated queue for a reserved seating area at the front of the ballroom.
An extremely limited number of specially priced rooms and theme park tickets will be available to D23 Members who purchase Destination D23 tickets. Further details will be included in the ticket purchase confirmation email.
NOTES
  • D23 Gold Members may reserve a ticket for themselves and one (1) guest for either regular or preferred seating. D23 Members will be required to log in with their D23 Gold membership when reserving tickets.
    • Gold Family Members can transition before purchase to the Gold Duo Plan at no charge for the opportunity to purchase additional tickets. Each Gold Member on the account can purchase a ticket for themselves and one (1) guest. For more information on how to transition your Gold Family account, click here.
    • Each ticket must have a unique individual assigned to the ticket, no duplicate names can be used at time of purchase.

• All ticket holders for this event agree to comply to the latest health and safety guidelines put forth by the Walt Disney World Resort. Find the latest guidelines at Know Before You Go.
  • All guests without active room reservations at Disney’s Contemporary Resort must park at the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and take the Monorail service to the event.
  • Video or audio recording of any kind will not be permitted during the presentation.
  • All Guests under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to attend this D23 event.
  • D23 Members attending must bring their photo ID and event tickets or they will not be admitted to the event.
  • Ticketed Members and guests who do not attend the event forfeit their place as well as all experiences, benefits, and gifts associated with the event. D23 Members must be present for their guests to gain entry to the event.
  • All D23 Events are subject to change without notice. There are strictly no cancellations or refunds, and tickets are not transferable.

Last edited:

Ajk

Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Yup. RSP. Which is good. And glad to see the VIP ticket is only $150 more than the regular. But if I am reading it correctly, the only extra thing you get for the extra money is reserved seats up front. Anyone reading it differently?

And they are allowing virtual attendance! At least for parts of it. That's interesting. So technically, you don't have to show up at all in order to participate. And even get pins.

And thanks @DisneyJ for the post!!

Ajk

Rating - 100%
149   0   0
P.S. And the virtual waiting room starts the same time as the ticket sale? Anyone else think that's a typo and you can queue up earlier? With maybe a randomizer at 1:00?

figment919

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I read it that you have to get into the virtual waiting room to get tickets.

Also, I don't think that the "virtual attendees" can get into the MOG thing for pins. "Ticketed Members and guests who do not attend the event forfeit their place as well as all experiences, benefits, and gifts associated with the event. D23 Members must be present for their guests to gain entry to the event."

Last edited:

Ajk

Rating - 100%
149   0   0
I read it that you have to get into the virtual waiting room to get tickets.

Also, i don't think tht the "virtual attendees" can get into the MOG thing for pins. "Ticketed Members and guests who do not attend the event forfeit their place as well as all experiences, benefits, and gifts associated with the event. D23 Members must be present for their guests to gain entry to the event."
Hmmm...So you can do the RSP to see if you are getting pins or not, but then need to show up in person to pick them up? I guess that aligns with how they do the pin event (when not virtual).

I took the "For those unable to join us live at the event..." to mean that you could do (some) event stuff remotely and maybe they would mail the pins. But maybe this just means that if you don't get a ticket to the event, you will be able to see at least some of the info shared.

DisneyJ

RIP Jill
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
A friendly reminder:
General Seating: $249 (plus $7 processing fee), Preferred Seating: $399 (plus $7 processing fee). Tickets will go on sale on Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 1 p.m. EST / 10 a.m. PST. The Virtual Waiting Room will open at 1 p.m. EST / 10 a.m. PST.

TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Anyone know where the sign up link is going to be? Is it just on that same page?
This was the most applicable info I was able to locate:
"How do I purchase tickets for an event/when will tickets be available?
When ticketing information is available it will be listed on the Upcoming Events page. To purchase tickets, visit the event page at the date and time listed, and you be directed on how to purchase or reserve tickets."

TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
183   0   0
But the Upcoming Events page takes you to the info page for Destination D23, so guessing the info page is where the link will be posted at the top of the hour.

Wonder how fast the site will freeze with everyone hitting it right at 1PM ET.