• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Auction Backer cards- Why do some not have the DA logo on the card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Auction Backer cards- Why do some not have the DA logo on the card?

Moondance

Pусcкая Poбйн
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I've gotten a couple of Disney Auctions pins, and the Backer cards, specifically the New Classics Pocahontas LE 100 pin didn't come on a backer card that had the Disney Auctions logo, it was just a big backer card that had the Mickey Disney Pin trading logo on it and underneath- 'Limited edition'

I was wondering if it's a legitimate mistake or if ALL DA pins were suppose to have DA logo backer cards.

I don't know where you got it from, but if it was on Ebay, was it listed as "original backing"?

As far as I know there are generic backer cards available and some Ebay sellers use those to make their pins look like new or "official"

If you go on Ebay and search Disney pin backer card, you can see that cards are being sold by multiples. Probably that is where your sellers cards came from or he/she might have used another backer from a different card.

I didn't get my DA New Classics Pocahontas on ebay- I purchased it from someone not on ebay, they said that they got the pin from someone- and they said it was 'new- but it had a scratch on it 3:
Was just making sure that this pin was suppose to have a DA backer card or a regular large backer card.

While I cannot speak for ALL Disney Auctions pins, every one that we have received in its original packaging has been on a Disney Auctions backer card. Many of these have a sticker on the back with the DA pin number; DA20398 for the Pocahontas pin you are talking about.

For many long time traders, pins were removed from the original card to display them and the cards were thrown away. As pins have become collectable and more valuable counterfeits and scrappers have come on the scene making it difficult to trade or sell authentic pins without the original packaging.

I agree with Merryweather that some sellers or traders do place pins on "any" card to try to alleviate questions about their newness or authenticity. Doing this does not necessarily mean that your pin is a counterfeit or scrapper. In fact, the pin in question should have the DA hologram on the back. If your pin has it, it is the real thing. If it is important for you to have the original card, then you may have to do some research ahead of time to try to make sure that is what you are getting.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, all DA pins either came with no backer at all (the older ones), a standard DA backer, or a specialty backer (like the DA Stitch and Elvis sets). The card you are describing, if it is large like the DA cards, sounds like a Disneyshopping.com backer. There is a slight possibility that if this pin was released during the cutover from Disney Auctions to Disneyshopping it could have gotten a different backer somehow, but I'd say that is unlikely.

Erudolf said,
There is a slight possibility that if this pin was released during the cutover from Disney Auctions to Disneyshopping it could have gotten a different backer somehow, but I'd say that is unlikely.

Good catch! I had almost forgotten about that.

Most of the LE 100 DA pins came on cards that had the Disney Auctions Logo, with the exception of those that were lost, then found, and sold on Disney Shopping.

I am not wise Erica, but I know DS started to sell the DA pins that were lost in 2008.

Moondance says,
Erudolf= Erica :p

I know that. I did not think you were referring to me. I am just trying to give you some information while Erica is away. See?

There is actually a pin group for the "lost" pins that later showed up on Disneyshopping.com. This would place the start of the cut-over around August 2006.

http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/group.cgi?group=5101

And then there is the weird case of this pin:

I have two versions of this pin, one with the Disney Auctions backstamp and the other with the Disneyshopping.com backstamp. Backstamp, not backer card.....really odd. I don't know what really happened with this pin. I don't know whether it was LE 250 for DA and LE 250 for DS or if it is a total of 250 with just different back stamps. :dunno:

Hi Erica,

I had no idea they had a special pin group for these pins that disappeared. That is interesting! Thank you!!!

As for cutover, I do not know what you mean exactly, but I do know DA ceased in 2006, and it was in 2008 when the lost pins appeared on Disney Shopping. I remember it well, because I was one of the people shorted pins and pin sets. And then I lost the pins and sets again with Disney Shopping, because they sold out in minutes on a Friday morning.

The Love Me Tender pin having two different backstamp is crazy. I have that pin, and never really looked at the back. I wonder if there are 500 of these running around too. It was in 2006 again, the year DA closed down. We have mysteries to solve here! lol

Last edited:
By "cut-over" I mean the winding down of Disney Auctions and the ramping up of Disneyshopping.com plus the change in selling entity for remaining DA pins (lost and left over DA pins cutting over and being sold on Disneyshopping.com). Disney Shopping already existed of course, and was previously run under different names. But, with the closing of Disney Auctions that left Disney Shopping as pretty much the only online game in town (for direct purchases that is).

Thank you for explaining cut-over. I know what you mean, but it seemed like it was not done gradually at all. The pins disappeared, then DA closed, and almost two years later, we see them for a brief second on Disney Shopping. That was so disappointing.

I remember buying beanies from Disney Shopping when they were not online yet, but they had a catalogue and you called on the phone. Even then, items sold out quickly and also they made the same mistakes they make now. Does anyone remember the catalogue? Takes you way back.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back