• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DizPins.com going dark soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
DizPins.com going dark soon

yenne

Pin Friend
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, pin friends!

I wanted to give a friendly heads-up that dizpins.com will be going dark soon. The site hasn't been updated in forever, and I'm not going to transfer it when I move away from my current web server.

Some folks might still be linking to the dizpins images in their signatures, so you all might want to take a quick peek at your sigs and see if there's anything you'd want to copy off the site before it goes dark. I figure it'll be up another month or so.

-britt

An absolute tragedy for the community/hobby if this incredible history and resource disappears forever. :( Wish there was some way to preserve it all. It's seriously priceless - all that information from the dawn of pin trading. Such a loss. :(

Pin collecting hasn't been the same without dizpins and when this site disappears, our pin history and amazing amounts of information go with it. :(

Last edited:
This is a bit off subject, but with all the Pinpics changes, how do we even leave a reference these days? If we are to use the new version, there is no email info for the members and yet, to check or leave a reference, you need one.

Pin collecting hasn't been the same without dizpins and when this site disappears, our pin history and amazing amounts of information go with it. :(

I'm absolutely in agreement with this, except that nobody actually visits the site any more. The logs show that only web crawlers ever go there. Well, that and bulletin board users who link directly to the images there.

I considered moving it somewhere else, but really there's no point paying to host it any more. It's not even an issue of "what if someone else pays" -- the data just isn't being used any more.

-britt

I'm very disappointed to hear this. All the news updates, are a fabulous archive and resource. And provide a lot more context of pins and events from that era than short Pinpics listings can provide.

Also, what about all the scrapper images?

Last edited:
I'm absolutely in agreement with this, except that nobody actually visits the site any more. The logs show that only web crawlers ever go there. Well, that and bulletin board users who link directly to the images there.

I considered moving it somewhere else, but really there's no point paying to host it any more. It's not even an issue of "what if someone else pays" -- the data just isn't being used any more.

-britt
I do! I was visiting the site and poring through the archives multiple times over the past year! It is such a treasure trove of information! But lol I know you can't keep it open just for me. :p I hope - I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope though that you keep some backup of all that precious information and history. That IS our hobby from its very roots. There is no other resource like it, nor can there ever be. :(

Seriously, there's more legit valuable info there on pins that has disappeared from PinPics than anyone realizes. :(

Last edited:
I'm very disappointed to hear this. All the news updates, are a fabulous archive and resource. And provide a lot more context of pins and events from that era than short Pinpics listings can provide.
This a thousandfold.

All of this hobby's history and precious information is disappearing. It cannot be re-created. :(

I may not have used it in an "every day" usage thing, but sometimes I really need to remember more about what happened and then I rely on Dizpins archive a lot. The old event catalog listings, and scrapper images especially. So yeah, I could go weeks without visiting, but there would be a week here or there, when I was there for hours. Ugh.

I do! I was visiting the site and poring through the archives multiple times over the past year! It is such a treasure trove of information! But lol I know you can't keep it open just for me. :p I hope - I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope though that you keep some backup of all that precious information and history. That IS our hobby from its very roots. There is no other resource like it, nor can there ever be. :(

Seriously, there's more legit valuable info there on pins that has disappeared from PinPics than anyone realizes. :(

If there was a way to put it all on a CD or DVD they could mail it to us!

Someday someone is going to ask what they mystery pins were all about, or pin pursuits, or non-Epcot events or Supertraders or a dozen other things, and we're not going to be able to just post a few links to Dizpins which could explain it far better than our old memories ever could.

If there was a way to put it all on a CD or DVD they could mail it to us!
Would TRULY TRULY love that (and would happily pay to cover the CD/DVD/shipping costs) but don't know if it's at all possible.

Someday someone is going to ask what they mystery pins were all about, or pin pursuits, or non-Epcot events or Supertraders or a dozen other things, and we're not going to be able to just post a few links to Dizpins which could explain it far better than our old memories ever could.
This. This. This.

There are so few people still in this hobby who were there in the earliest days. I try to remember everything I heard and learned over the many years, but DizPins is the only source OF THE TIME. It's completely irreplaceable as that info is simply nowhere else.

Sigh, you guuuyyyysss. You're making me feel bad. :sad:

Those of you who care most about dizpins should understand the drama that has surrounded that site, and why it's not a candidate for just handing off somewhere else.

Someone make a suggestion. I'm getting out of the hosting business, so I no longer have somewhere to put it. We could stash the data at a Google Site or something, but there's too much (~1GB).

There are a couple of free web hosting sites. Perhaps we can move it to one of those.

An absolute tragedy for the community/hobby if this incredible history and resource disappears forever. :( Wish there was some way to preserve it all. It's seriously priceless - all that information from the dawn of pin trading. Such a loss. :(

Could not have said it better.

I was under the impression it was long closed and thus inaccessible.
The forum closed but all the associated reference pages, news, and event info has remained accessible. Wonderful to read and impossible to replace as a history of pin collecting.

Sigh, you guuuyyyysss. You're making me feel bad. :sad:
*hugs britt and sends one to figgy too* (and if you're still in touch with Joette - I send her a hug too! So many people I miss from those days! :()

Those of you who care most about dizpins should understand the drama that has surrounded that site, and why it's not a candidate for just handing off somewhere else.
To this day I still think it was one of the best online communities I was ever a part of. Nothing could or has replaced it. Just sayin'.

Someone make a suggestion. I'm getting out of the hosting business, so I no longer have somewhere to put it. We could stash the data at a Google Site or something, but there's too much (~1GB).

There are a couple of free web hosting sites. Perhaps we can move it to one of those.
Can't provide any info/suggestions - out of my area of expertise. But per hopemax's comment above - would there be any way that those of us interested in preserving the information could get a copy of it? Would be happy to pay for any related expense for cd/dvd(s)/shipping costs, etc. I don't want the info to disappear into the ether and would love to help preserve even a copy of the information in some form.

Is there any way to save the fakes/scrapper images, they are very important to prove since pp no longer lists all the fake warnings for the non paying.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, we just need to save some of the important information.

Hello I would also be interested in getting a copy of the info and would of course pay or help with the costs of moving it elsewhere Dizpins old pinpics 4 eva!!! Janet

so what everyone is saying is that pinpics, the place where we keep our owns, wants, trades is going away or just the Dizpins someone let me know thanks

Just Dizpins. The old pp is winding down as well, but there is no set date.

Hey Britt & Figgy, anyway to be able to copy just the Events??? Would love to make a copy of the Disney Events I attended from 2008 back. Anytime I tried, it stopped me with "property of DizPins" etc.. Remember "Survivor Magic Kingdom" with Scoop??? Remember the Pin Pursuits with the maps you had to get stamped?? Good Times!!!

Wish there was a way to make or buy a copy of those Events. Sooo many memories. Let us know if there is anything we can buy or contribute to. Thanks, :tigger: Sue

Okay, okay, okay.

I'm going to try to copy everything to a free hosting site. I've done the copy and I'm waiting on DNS to update.

Don't freak out if the site is a bit wonky. I can't test until the DNS updates and you guys may see the new one before I do.

-britt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back